Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Sculpin Cans

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Pelican5, Jan 25, 2013.

1. evilc

BP is well aware of complaints about how much Sculpin has slipped and have provided assurances that they are working on it. Thanks.

2. dman127

Beer Trader

Sculpin is on of my favorite IPAs but also one of my most frustrating. I've had fresh bombers sent to me that we're amazing. But when I purchased it in Central IL the results have been mixed at best. Sometime the freshness dates were rubbed off. Same thing with Big Eye. Now that it is on the label, that doesn't happen. The sixer my buddy just sent has a Best By of 5/27 and the first bottle tonight was excellent. Yes, more expensive than others, but a few extra buck a couple times a year is worth it.

3. LegalBrew87

I know there are...that doesn't mean they take advise on changing a very popular beer recipe beer from a few anonymous people on a website.

You're welcome...I'm glad they know about it but to be continuously reminded that it sucks gets a little old. I'm sure they are primarily listening to complaints from trusted customers, not a bunch of bozos on a website. Cheers.

4. Momar42

If it's too old, don't buy it. If it's too expensive, don't buy it. If the quality is perceived to have declined, write a letter to them and don't buy it. It's really quite simple. As a consumer you can complain all you want but if its selling, what reason do they have to change anything? Spend your beer money on something else.

5. evilc

Haha - dude you have no idea. I am as trusted a customer as they have. What part of "live 8 miles away and am there all the time" do you not understand?

6. evilc

What reason do YOU think they have for the recent canning of this beer? Need a hint?

7. evilc

I swear - fanboys are the WORST. I hate that BA has them. Here we have people who know the original Sculpin well and want the current watered down version to be fixed - and they are here "defending" their freaking team. Good lord.....

In the end, if we have our way and they fix the beer, you'll thank us.

8. LegalBrew87

I never said they weren't listening to you when you go in to BP, or even here for that matter. I just see constant negative posts (from a number people) over and over about it and it just gets old.

9. evilc

Did you drink Sculpin in 2010?

10. LegalBrew87

Yes. And I haven't defended Sculpin one time in this thread. I never said it didn't suck or that it isn't worse now. All I said was that the negative comments are old...that's pretty much it.

11. evilc

It's like a woman who cheated on you man. The beer went from a top 5 IPA to not even in my top 100. We'll bitch about it forever because it was a huge let down. Sure - beers change over time. Sculpin however changed in an absolutely horrible fashion INSTANTLY.

12. LegalBrew87

Haha what can I say? It's hard to let go. To each their own...I still enjoy it compared most IPAs on draft when the selection isn't O'brien's, etc. Although $7/pint is getting to be ridiculous.

13. UCLABrewN84

Cool design and all, but meh beer these days. If only they could put the old (read: 2010 or before recipe) Sculpin in cans.

14. Pelican5

Beer Trader

The reason they have to change something is if Sculpin was always as good as it is sometimes, they would sell more of it and make more $. Capitalism 101. I'm not a free market nut but there are good aspects to every, well almost every, system. Point being, if every batch of Sculpin was A+ they would sell more Sculpin. And, most would not complain about the price. If they continue on the same path as they are on then quality will vary, they will sell less of it and people will complain about pricing. Simple logic.

As a Sculpin (good batch) fan I hope they brew more consistent batches, I would buy more frequently without a second thought.

My $.02

15. Nick1513

I live in SoCal. Sculpin bombers cost $7.99 and the six-packs cost around $16. The store I usually go to also sells Pliny the Elder and even though it's a smaller bottle, I would rather get that.

16. SUBER

Beer Trader

Long time lurker(3years +)
    Been goin to BP for a long time...
    My friend is a VIP there, really, very been to the VIP room?
    Was chatting with a EE a few years back and he told us the lowdown, they couldnt get enough simcoe in their contract so they subbed it with columbus and another hop to get the simcoe flavor....that was around 2010..
    I use to love scuplin, now its just beer to me..
    Even at the brewery the 6packs are 14.99...no thanks, I can brew 10 gallons of scuplin for less than it would cost for a case of scuplin...
    But they have me coming back for BA Tongue Buckler and IPL...and their spirits.
    Too many good breweries around here to be a fanboy of BP these days...
    SUBER

ThePorterSorter likes this.
  17. skunkpuddle

You are so money and I'm pretty sure you think it but don't even know it.

18. Dools9

Agreed, really hate the 32 oz idea. I can just see it now, dusty bombers lingering on shelves. Hey Lagunitas, please keep sucks in sixers!

Horbar likes this.
  19. EddieGold

i can buy a sixer of sculpin bottles for 15.99, wouldnt the price be the same for cans?

20. jmmy3

Theoretically cans 'should' be cheaper. In reality however I'm sure the sixers will be priced the same and the cans will just save the brewery some money in the long run.

21. JackHorzempa

Thank you for your post; that was some very good information there!

Your statements of: “I use to love scuplin, now its just beer to me. Even at the brewery the 6packs are 14.99...no thanks …” is an excellent ‘summary’!

So, I suppose the follow-up question is: when will BP obtain the Simcoe hops they need so they can make Sculpin like it should be made?

Cheers!

22. Horbar

I hope Ma/ RI gets can distribution. Should help with the freshness and inconsistencies. In this area we only get bombers and they are usually pretty good if fresh. But at 11.99 a bomber, you'd better be very consistent. Especially, when your 11.99 bomber is sitting next to a 7.99 bomber of Double Jack!!

23. samoblue

I live five minutes from the brewery and have never experienced a problem. It must be that extra three minutes.

SeaOfShells likes this.
  24. evilc

If you have not, that means everyone else is wrong and the beer is flawless.

25. arfenhouse

Just tried the regular Sculpin today and don't see any problem with it. Very tasty and fresh even with a 7 week old botltle. I live about 25 minutes away from the brewery, so that may be the sweet spot for distance (as opposed to 5 or 8 minutes).

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe