Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Searching for these beers in Virginia

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Thishops4u, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thishops4u

Thishops4u Disciple (304) Mar 7, 2013 Kansas
    Beer Trader

I am traveling to mcgaheysville & richmond,va next week and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for the following beers:

Also what are some good beer stores?

Troegs - Nectar Nugget
    Dogfish Head - 120 IPA
    Any Bruery beers
    Ballast Point - Sculpin & Victory at Sea
    Cigar City - Jai Alai

Thanks,

Todd

2. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (372) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Supporter Subscriber

In Richmond, I would suggest Once Upon A Vine (North). I went there recently while in town from DC and found they have an excellent selection. Don't miss out on Hardywood beers -- it's a Richmond brewery that only distributes down there; OUAV had almost all their beers in stock, and they're uniformly excellent. I only wish they distributed in northern VA, I'd buy them all the time.

Thishops4u likes this.
  3. Thishops4u

Beer Trader

I will have to check them out. Thanks for the tip arlvabeerguy.

4. Braineater2448

Braineater2448 Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Florida

- Nugget Nectar comes out mid-Feb usually. I have no idea if any of it is still left.
    - I doubt you'll be able to find any 120-minute. DFH just announced that more is on it's way, but I don't think it'll be in VA by next week.
    - You won't find any CCB Jai Alai. CCB only distributes to FL.
    - Ballast Point and Bruery beers shouldn't be too hard to find if you go to the right shop.

Hit up Once Upon a Vine in Richmond.

Tacoboomerang likes this.
  5. Thishops4u

Beer Trader

Braineater2448.. I went to seekabrew.com and it says that you can find CCB on draft in VA. Looks like I will be drinking some Sculpin next week. Thanks for your help.

6. Braineater2448

Braineater2448 Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Florida

Seekabrew.com isn't always correct. I'm guessing CCB used to distribute in VA. However, CCB can barely satisfy the demand in FL, so they aren't sending anything outside the state at the moment.

7. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (602) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

VA doesnt get Victory at Sea, or Sea Monster (their distributor won't apply for label approvals for some reason)

8. ncaudle

Beer Trader

huh? 120 Minute basically collects dust on the shelves here in RVA

9. Thishops4u

Beer Trader

What store might I find the 120 Min in RVA? I called Once Upon A Vine and they said they don't have any. ncaudle?

10. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (695) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

No trip to RVA is complete without a stop in at Mekong. Very nice draft beer selection that goes well with their outstanding food. A must stop for me everytime I visit RVA.

Thishops4u and ncstateplaya like this.
  11. ncaudle

Beer Trader

did you call Vine North or Vine South?
    North had quite a bit as of a week or so ago

12. ncstateplaya

ncstateplaya Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2008 North Carolina

Thishops4u likes this.
  13. tabascosigned

tabascosigned Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Virginia

OUAV, as stated, is excellent.
    Also, Corks & Kegs (http://www.yelp.com/biz/corks-and-kegs-richmond) will have plenty of Sculpin.
    Sedona Taphouse and Capital Ale House (downtown location) still have 120 for eat-in or carry-out purchase.
    never searched for Troegs so can't help you out with that one.
    Trolley Market (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-trolley-market-richmond) has a great overall beer selection and almost always CCB Maduro OBA (sorry, no Jai Alai)

Must go to's: Mekong, Commercial Taphouse and Hardywood Hardywood Hardywood.

enjoy!

Thishops4u likes this.
  14. tabascosigned

I thought we got VAS?

15. tabascosigned

tons of CCB Maduro here.
    still jealous of the rest that we don't get...would love to try their cucumber saison

Thishops4u likes this.
  16. bulldogbrewhaus

bulldogbrewhaus Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012 Virginia

There is no Jai Alai here my friend. Nugget Nectar is seasonal and you are too late I'm afraid. Near mcgaheysville is harrisonburg and there they have capitol ale house (also in RVA) which has some nice stuff on tap. Between there and Richmond is Charlottesville which has Beer Run. They will have the most unique stuff west of I95. Last time I was there they had DFH 120min. Theres also a bunch of breweries near Cville. As far as Richmond goes you must go to Hardywood, I dare say they may be the best in VA. Also Mekong as suggested above.

Thishops4u likes this.
  17. ncaudle

Beer Trader

nope. label isn't ABC approved.

just stopped at Vine North and nope, no 120 minute.
    talking to them, apparently some guy came through about 2 weeks ago and practically cleared out all of RVA of it...

Thishops4u likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.