Seattle International Beerfest

Discussion in 'US - West' started by jpbebeau, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (252) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Worth going to? Not much info on the website, aside from a Wingman Triple IPA...

2. gueuzehead

gueuzehead Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Washington

It gets a bad rap sometimes but I really enjoyed my first time there last year. Living blocks away and being able to walk home is a plus(and is the reason I won't be going to the Washington Brewers Festival in Redmond).

A couple key points from last year.
    - Buy the VIP pass($35 to skip the line to get inside and 35 tickets instead of $20 for 10 tickets)
    - Show up when they open. It got very crowded in the afternoon, drunk people, frat boys' chugging in-line, etc... as I was leaving.

3. ScreamForMe

ScreamForMe Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2008 Washington

It looks like they moved it from the Mural Amp to Fisher Pavilion and the lawn outside of it - which should mean more space. I went twice and as guezehead mentioned, it got crowded pretty quick but maybe the move to the new location will help with that. They also use volunteers to pour the beers (most, if not all, it seemed) so if you want to find out any information about the brews, breweries, etc, this wasn't the best festival for that sorta thing.

I had a good time both years I went though - but not one of my favorite festivals.

4. bfg75

bfg75 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2011 Washington

Friday is the best day to go...especially early. If you drink a lot, this may not be worth it (since you'll likely have tried a lot of the stuff, esp. if you're an active trader)...but if you don't it's a good chance to try some things that we don't see around here all that often. I may skip this year just because I can buy better beer with the money I would spend on tickets and then I wouldn't have to wait in line over and over again for four ounces.

Mages64 likes this.
  5. NWer

NWer Champion (801) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Really looking forward to going this year. Missed last year at last minute due to family emergency.
    Friday. Definitely Friday.
    Not worried about seeing a bunch of beers I've seen before. There is usually some pretty impressive one-off efforts at these kinds of things.

6. jpbebeau

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll see if I can get there Friday afternoon; I got a Google offer for...

7. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,761) May 12, 2005 Washington
    Society Trader

With the google offer, and the convenient location, this seems intriguing. anyone have a 2011 list hand?

8. jpbebeau

NWer and gueuzehead like this.
  9. gueuzehead

gueuzehead Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Washington

Thanks for the link! Disappointed there is no Cantillon listed for this year.

10. ithinkimasofa

ithinkimasofa Aspirant (247) Dec 24, 2006 Washington

I wonder if Fremont Kentuck Dark Star will be getting released before or around then. I think someone made a comment recently that they were told it was being bottled last or this week? Now it's listed on that PDF under the bottles section (for 2 tickets/dollars more than the tap version also on the list), so hopefully if they think it's ready to be poured there that it will be ready for general release by then, sometime around then, or sooner. Or maybe I'm just seeing meaningless patterns due to my continued anticipation for bottles to be released.

11. jpbebeau

I saw the same thing. Seems likely.

12. NWer

Looking for a job? you should be their webmaster - make it a little more user friendly.
    I just purchased the google purchase - great deal whether I use all the tokens or not.
    Thanks for being on top of this!

13. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Zealot (506) Aug 28, 2009 Florida

Any handling fees? I purchased VIP tickets for the PIB for $40 (30 tokens) and another $4 were slapped on at checkout. Only $1 more for 10 more tokens? That's a good deal indeed.

14. NWer

$45 total was charged to my Visa. No service charge.

15. bespin15

bespin15 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2006 Washington

16. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

I'll be honest, that list isn't very impressive, most of that stuff I've either had, or can get pretty easily via trade. Maybe it's worth going just for the hell of it.

17. NWer

You're serious, right? I'm stoked.

18. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

Haha yeah I'm serious.

bfg75 and NWer like this.
  19. Mages64

Mages64 Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2009 Washington

anyone want to start a brand new beer festival? Like a large bottleshare party because I just am becoming more and more pessimistic about beer festivals in the Seattle area............

barleywinefiend, csano and bifrost17 like this.
  20. bfg75

Yeah, I've noticed that the more I've traded and gone to tastings...the less awesome these big festivals have become...They're crowded and a lot of the time I have better beer at home (and I have a far from impressive "cellar"). I'm with Mages, let's start our own festival!

21. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Dan, I'd be first in line for your "cellar table" :wink:

22. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Wow, just checked out the beer list page and that mention of Utopias really interests me. If I have the afternoon off I may just have to get a taste of it. There were a couple others on there that caught my eyes too. Flanders Fred for one.

23. NWer

As stated on the pib thread, I'll have no problem spending my tokens. Lots of very good beers at one place that I don't have to trade for.

jpbebeau likes this.
  24. dirtylou

Society Trader

List looks pretty fine to me. I bought a few google-offers (thanks for that idea) and will likely intend to hit right at noon on Saturday and see where the day goes from there before the Sounders game that night.

Well aware of the criticisms of this fest, but its July, outside, with beer, so I think i'll find a way to enjoy it.

25. optophobia

optophobia Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2006 Massachusetts

If you don't get the VIP pass, I just went in on friday got my glass and wristband and then you can just walk in on sturday without joining the line.

Its interesting that you "dont have to be wearing your wristband, but you need to show both to get back in." [* printed in the 2nd page of the program]
    Does this mean you can give your glass and wristband to someone else if you are not going to use it on another day ?

26. bweinst

bweinst Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2005 Washington

27. NWer

My tastings from Friday:
    Lucifer
    KDS
    Deliverance
    Mad Viking Stingray DIPA
    DFH 120 (aka Stone Extra Low Self Esteem)
    Lagunitas Lucky 13 alt (Mystery Beer)
    Scaldis Prestige
    Utopias
    Petrus Aged Pale
    Straffe Hendrik Quad
    Had a great time.

28. dirtylou

Society Trader

had a good time as well - little blurry on the details but included...

hotd fred flanders
    hotd collage
    lost abbey angels share
    fremont ky dark star
    fremont brother
    two beers ascension triple ipa
    dfh 120 minute
    evil twin imperial biscotti break
    double mtn rainier kriek
    double mtn peche mode
    double mtn ferocious five
    emilisse IRS ardbeg scotch barrel
    lagunitas waldos special

got there at noon - waited in approximately ZERO lines the entire day. was "crowded" when i left at 4pm but nowhere near the horror stories depicted on BA.

food selection was an absolute A+. Skillet, pinky's and pretzelwagon were what we partook in

NWer likes this.
  29. NWer

Ah Angels Share. They didn't have it yesterday - I asked - but the Deliverance was pretty awesome.

30. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

I had Deliverance (not on this particular day) at Malt and Vine and I was very pleasantly surprised.

31. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2009 Oregon

For those who had it, did the KDS live up to the hype? Seems there are a lot of great beers to live up to there.

32. NWer

I agree there are a lot of great beers around and we all know what they are. Is KDS one of them? Sure. It deserves to join the which is better debate but I choose the cowards way out - for now. Had the taste and was duly impressed but reserve judgement until I have a bottle under my belt. Too easy to get caught up in the moment at a festival.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  33. bfg75

I've had KDS on a number of occasions and yes, it does live up to the hype. It's an awesome (and really well-balanced ) beer and I'm happy to hear Fremont is expanding their barrel program :-)

Kopfschuss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.