Second beer...what's your glassware procedure?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pitweasel, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Providence

Providence Champion (821) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I don't just use a new glass from the cabinet, I use a brand new glass right out of the box. Every glass I own is single-use only. As soon as I am done, it goes right in the trash. I don't even recycle it.

2. BeerBucks

BeerBucks Champion (850) Feb 18, 2012 New York
    Trader

New brew, new glass. My kids have been trained on how to properly hand wash the beer glasses. If they tick me off, I drink more brews, so they have to wash more glasses.

hopsputin, sharpski, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  3. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Champion (866) Apr 6, 2012 Illinois
    Society Trader

Usually a quick rinse but it could depend on what I'm drinking. For example, if I was just drinking a Pale Ale from a shaker pint and then decided I want an imperial stout, I'd switch it up to a snifter.

WassailWilly likes this.
  4. darky

darky Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2010 South Dakota

If its a similar style beer, rinse, dry, and pour. If its the same beer, skip the rinse. If it's a wildly different style than the previous beer, I use a new appropriate styled glass.

But this can all change if I'm feeling really lazy or drinking outdoors. I won't pour my favorite quad or similar treat into a shaker pint or a pilsener (unless it happens to BE a pilsener) no matter what.

5. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

The new glass people are destroying the environment and wasting precious resources due to an obsessive compulsive disorder which should be resolved by visiting a good therapist.

The rinse and use the same glass people are doing the same thing on a less harmful scale and should read an Earth day flier.

The same glass, no rinse people are globally conscious, forward thinking people who don't need to visit a therapist and can continue to enjoy their beer without feeling guilty.

6. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,786) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Wait...what??? Who are you and what did you do to Provdence?

Providence likes this.
  7. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Devotee (422) Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota

I like to break the glass after each new beer to keep the glass making companies in business. :slight_smile:

8. alysmith4

alysmith4 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2005 District of Columbia

Ok, I take it back. I'm about to crack open a Black Choc Stout, and there's no way I'ma pour that in the dirty Sumpin' Sumpin' glass. So yeah, I guess I get a new glass each time :rolling_eyes:

seakayak likes this.
  9. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

I buy a brand new glass and throw the old one away.

10. Dools9

Dools9 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Rinse well with warm water, then cool water, shake drops, pour brew.

11. Dools9

Dools9 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Rinse well with warm water, then cool water, shake drops, pour brew, drink brew. Repeat.

12. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

Use the same glass and don't rinse! You won't taste the difference.

13. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 Maine

As far as soap goes, I've been using Stem Shine from Wine Enthusiast for a while now, and it rinses away great.Then I dry/polish with a Riedel microfiber cloth, perfect glass.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  14. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Colorado

pretty much use snifter for all now; different style of brew; rinse the glass before next pour. if style is very very similar i don't wash.

15. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

I'm not gonna be left in the dust on rare things, so, I only drink out of a rinsed-and-air-dried-between-each-brew original KBS snifter or a FFF Teku, signed by BOTH Michael Jacksons.

alysmith4 and CoolEthan like this.
  16. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

I do the exact same thing and my wife complains to me "are you gonna get a mop to clean up the water?" I smile and say "yes dear." Yes, I know I`m whipped.

17. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 Maine

I mop with the socks on my feet. :grinning:

YogiBeer and TheBrewo like this.
  18. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,832) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Different beer, different glass....unless it's my snifter which I'll wash with soap and water between beers because I only have one.

19. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

That is why I love the carpet...

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  20. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2008 New York

I usually fill the empty glass about half way with cool water, drink it down, and decide if I want to use the same glass for the next beer, or if I want to use another glass that is more appropriate for the style. Sometimes I clean (hand wash) the glass(es) I use the same night...sometimes they sit on the counter for a day or two. Pretty simple.

21. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Disciple (391) Jan 9, 2013 California

This sounds like the worst method mentioned yet.

22. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 New York

NEVER soap
    Usually a good water rinse
    Shake out and refill

Joenajera likes this.
  23. Topher78

Topher78 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2011 California

I try to use the right glass for the style but since I'm an DIPA/IPA/Imperial Stout/Barleywine fan, I tend to only use a snifter. That being said I change glasses if I'm changing beers but if I'm drinking the same beer I'll keep the same glass. Great thread by the way, Cheers!

24. MickJ0nes

MickJ0nes Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

Rinse, Starsan, and Rinse...

25. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Initiate (122) Aug 28, 2012 Washington

I keg stand my kegerator whenever I drink...

alysmith4 likes this.
  26. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Maryland

Rinse with cold water.

27. chum_husk

chum_husk Poo-Bah (2,553) Feb 21, 2012 Minnesota
    Society

i just pour the bier into that same cup

sometime, i drink it outta the bottle
    *collective gasp from the BAs*

Kerrie likes this.
  28. DinoFight

DinoFight Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Arizona

Same beer, same glass. Different beer, new glass.(I have plenty to spare)

But sometimes.....maybe more times than not......I drink right from the can or bottle and then I don't have to stress about it. I am a rebel, I play by my own rules. You don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me.

Kerrie and WassailWilly like this.
  29. Bond111

Bond111 Initiate (184) Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I wash my glass with 7th generation free & clear liquid dish soap, and I only use a special scrubber for just my beer/coffee glasses. I'm not sure if there is a better method, but it works.

30. Ahappyhiker2

Ahappyhiker2 Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 New Jersey

First of all, I never use soap on my beer glasses. But just rinsing it out and maybe rubbing the glass a little with your hand is more than enough if you're having another beer. If I was having two IPAs back to back, maybe I wouldn't even rinse it. Kinda depends.

31. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,146) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

new glass

i rotate between a tulip, pub glass, "craft beer" glass, glass mug and pilsener ...

i love all five and will put almost anything in the first four. only pilseners/lagers go in the pilsener.

32. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (709) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Wait...you mean we're not supposed to just drink out of the bottle?!? NOW YOU TELL ME!!! :grimacing:

alysmith4 likes this.
  33. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,463) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If I am reviewing a beer and taking a beer photo, I will rise with warm water and towel dry to crystal clear. If its a beer I am drinking for pleasure , I usually just use my Maudite Tulip for everything. Warm water rise and shake most of the water out, and I'm good to go.

34. kleo

kleo Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2009 Massachusetts

Go for dedicated hand-wash-only beer glass. Discover it was put through the dishwasher and has milk residue in bottom. Go for backup beer glass. Make same discovery. Repeat 5 more times. Rinse mason jar. Rinse sippy cup lid for mason jar. Curse and drink from mason jar with sippy cup lid.

35. SStein

SStein Devotee (462) Dec 26, 2012 Colorado

I am a fan of the simple rinse, give it a quick shake out and refill.

36. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 Pennsylvania

I go out back and melt and mold my own glass because every beer is special and deserves a unique glass!!!!

... or I just rinse that stuff. No big.

LMT likes this.
  37. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

New glass for a new style.

38. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

I'll let you know after I try Melonhead. There could be a broom and dustpan involved. :wink:

39. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Autoclave.

But seriously, I just give the glass a rinse if my second beer is at all different from the first. Then wipe it out with a paper towel. Although if I've had a few beers already, I don't even bother rinsing.

40. Soneast

Soneast Champion (878) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Crush empty can on forehead. Open new can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.