Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Second Best Reason to Keg Your Home Brew

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mnstorm99, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

The first should be unanimous for not having to clean 50 bottles for a five gallon batch, right? Ok, we all have our reasons. But, I was thinking that another aspect I really enjoy about kegging is that I can choose my serving size. Late at night I feel like having a beer, but honestly even 12 ounces is too much sometimes so I sit here enjoying an eight ounce pour of my Oatmeal Stout while I type this.

What are your advantages with kegging?

TWStandley likes this.
  2. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Consistent carbonation and not having to wait a few weeks or more to enjoy my beers.

inchrisin likes this.
  3. mcc1654

mcc1654 Mar 20, 2011 Illinois

Less oxidation for hoppy beers, time carbonating and pour size. Otherwise cleaning kegs and lines, filling CO2, cost, etc.is just as time consuming and probably more costly than bottling. I still do love it. I do bottle all my wild/sour beers and anything meant for long term aging, but the rest goes in kegs.

4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Mar 22, 2011 California

Makes it super easy to prepare beer to take to a party/get together/Beer Club Meeting on the fly.

Duff27 likes this.
  5. kjyost

kjyost May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

Dry hopping until the moment I pull a beer... In fact I am pretty sure because I let my hop bag sink atop my tip tube it behaves like a mini-Randall :).

I agree with the mcc1654's comment that it's essentially just as time consuming though.

Duff27 likes this.
  6. scurvy311

scurvy311 Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

Pull clear beer with no setiment, bulk aging (until it's gone),

Definitly, and I would piggy back on that to add the ability to adjust carbonation on the fly

7. NiceFly

NiceFly Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Well, most of the advantages I can think of have been listed. The small pour and hop bag fliter being the two main ones for me.

I will add one, not knowing how much beer is left. When I have a really good one on tap, I do not want to know when it will kick. This way I do not anguish over every bottle and just keep pouring until it spits at me.

8. audioserf

audioserf Sep 3, 2010 Connecticut

I got my kegging setup in May of 2011 and ever since then it has only been under much protest that I've bottled homebrew. Bottling is a simply terrible thing to have to bother with.

I enjoy being able to fill a growler to bring to a friend's house or a family function.

9. scurvy311

Amen. Competition beer is the only thing I bottle now and it is only 4-6 at a time straight from the keg and it isn't every keg.

10. robhbest

robhbest Apr 16, 2012 Michigan

We've only bottled very very special beers lately. Usually ones that will be sitting in the cellar for a long time.

NiceFly likes this.
  11. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

Clearly, you're a glass half full kind of guy! I agree, this is an advantage, though I've never thought to articulate it.

To those who feel that cleaning/sanitizing/filling a keg is as much work as cleaning/sanitizing/filling/capping 50 bottles: What are you, nuts????!!!!

As to the cost of priming versus force carbing, while I haven't done the math, and I could be wrong, I suspect CO2 is cheaper than priming sugar. And if it isn't, you can always prime the keg with sugar.

My contribution to this list: it's way cooler to pour your homebrew from a selection of faucets than it is to open bottles.

NiceFly likes this.
  12. Pegli

Pegli Aug 30, 2006 Rhode Island

To me, consistent (and adjustable) carbonation is the #1 best reason to keg.

Naugled likes this.
  13. afrokaze

afrokaze Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I'd love to have money/room for kegging equipment, but I also don't get why people think cleaning and bottling is that hard. Just rinse with hot water when the bottle is emptied, then again before you put them in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour. Voila, sanitized bottles with no scrubbing!

14. scurvy311

Hell yeah you will love kegging. If you think doing the bottle disco and mess for 5-6 gallons of beer every month and just the collection and storage of bottles alone, is easy, you will definitely love kegging.

The room for kegging equipment...a 5# CO2 tank, hoses, and a keg...? I had an entire metal cabinet to store all of my bottles, and I still didn't have enough room when empty bottles were returned to me.

Yes my friend, you will love kegging.

15. jlordi12

jlordi12 Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm new to kegging ~ 2 months, so far it has been a pain in the balls w/ one issue after another. I finally feel like I'm getting a handle on it though and soon it'll all be worthwhile.

16. scurvy311

I did 2 quick all extract basic cheap pale ales and a test batch of wedding beer for my brother (he paid for the ingredients). It took 3 batches and some great advice from the home bar forum, but now I am bottling competition beer straight from the keg and fooling around with pressures/temps with confidence. Patience and experience and advice...

17. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Kegging is like sex or drinking...once you experience it...you know abstinence is for other people.

Seriously, bottling is not that hard as long as your significant other is willing to be your bottle buddy (mine wasn't)
    Now that I have a beer gun, I don't really have to kiss her ass anymore : )

For me the dryhopping benefit was the totally unexpected surprise.

18. clearbrew

clearbrew Nov 3, 2009 Louisiana

When a new acquaintance is in my house and says "holy crap, you have beers on tap, more than one, and you made them yourself!!"
    Yeah, that never gets old.
    Plus, I find it more fun to drink draft beer. Its like beer that flows into my glass as if from nowhere. Like a magic beer fountain.

Zach136, FeDUBBELFIST and NiceFly like this.
  19. mikehartigan

...and no empty bottles to count! ;)

20. mikehartigan

Cleaning and sanitizing 50 bottles (100, in the case of a ten gallon batch) is not hard. But it's a PITA compared to cleaning and sanitizing one (two, in the case of a ten gallon batch). Regarding space, a five gallon batch takes less than one square foot of floor space (actually, about 63 square inches). Refrigeration space is the same, kegs or bottles. Money ...well you've got a point there!

pointyskull and afrokaze like this.
  21. scurvy311

Clearbrew, allow me to turn that effective statement into a keg haiku.

"Beer flows into glass,
    Like a magic beer fountain,
    As if from nowhere."

22. clearbrew

clearbrew Nov 3, 2009 Louisiana

That was beautiful man!!

23. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Moderator Subscriber

I will admit, I do not keg, though I am in the market. One huge downside to kegging that I never see anyone talk about in these threads but in plenty of others... I have never seen a bottler write "I walked out in my garage and found a huge puddle of Imperial Stout in the bottom of my fridge and all my bottles half empty!"

Ifi walked out to any beer I had just invested time, money, thought, labor, love into all over the floor because of a bad connection while forcing CO2 into the keg I would be furious and probably want to go back to bottling.

I have never kegged, so I could be wrong.

24. jlordi12

jlordi12 Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This has happened to me . Not a full keg or even a half, but enough to make me hang my head a bit.

25. mikehartigan

hmmmm... poor maintenance. But a real danger, nevertheless. It's never happened to me, but that doesn't mean it never will, so I am careful. A bad job of capping a single bottle results in the potential loss of, at most, that bottle. A bad job of 'capping' a single keg can potentially result in the loss of the equivalent of fifty bottles. On the other hand, the odds of a bad seal occurring on one of those fifty bottles are fifty times greater than it is on one keg. I'm pretty anal about leaks, particularly anytime I touch something (the most likely time something's gonna break), so I'm not too worried, though.

I have never bottled a batch of beer. I do individual bottles for competitions. I've said in the past that if kegging was not an option, I might not be brewing today. ...or at least not as frequently.

pointyskull likes this.
  26. dcloeren

dcloeren Sep 15, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I get my tank refilled for a dollar...

27. mikehartigan

Ok. What's your secret? ;)

28. mcc1654

$20 in Chicago for a refill.

29. dcloeren

dcloeren Sep 15, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

The welding supply store I bought my tank from offered me a membership for $20 extra and I get the tank refilled for a dollar.

Edit: I basically have a corporate account with them now and it allows them to fill me up for the dollar

30. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Mar 23, 2008 California

Cool factor.
    Much more impressive to have buddies over and have 3 beers on tap for them to chose from rather than a bunch of assorted bottles.

mikehartigan likes this.
  31. mikehartigan

My last 20# refill was $30 at Terrace Supply in Villa Park. Brew and Grow will do a swap for $25, IIRC. Where do you get yours? (If this is a 5# refill, then never mind! ;). Actually, I'm not complaining about $25-$30 every 2 1/2 years!

32. mcc1654

Yes, it's a 5#. I'm not sure the $ for a 20#. I now regret only purchasing a 5# tank, but at the time I wanted something that would fit on the ledge in the freezer. The place is: http://www.nfccompany.com/ . They have a good selection of parts as well and for me it's only a 5 minutes drive.

33. bifrost17

bifrost17 Dec 16, 2011 Washington

I really need to get a kegging setup....

34. mikehartigan

I keep my tank in a closet adjacent to the bar. I could put a freaking huge tank in there without spoiling the aesthetics of the room. Since there are no line length or ID limitations on the gas line, you could put a CO2 tank anywhere in the house without issue - along side your water heater in the basement, for example. A 20# refill is only marginally more expensive than 5# (something like $3 or $4 difference, last time I asked). My supplier will lease a 50# tank for a one time lifetime lease fee of $225, last time I asked (less a $100 trade in on my 20# tank). Refills are $35-ish (it varies, though I'm not sure why). It seems the lion's share of a refill is hooking up the tank. The gas, itself, costs next to nothing. I recently saw an ad for a $20 CO2 refill -- any size tank.

35. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

You make some valid points, but table sugar is a buck a pound. You know it only takes 3-5 oz of sugar to prime 5 gal of beer. It takes just under a pound of CO2 to carb a keg. (Maybe I'm including purging and other duties). I'll give you that both ways are cheap to do, but table sugar has to win by quite a bit. That said, you are giving me yet another reason to buy a 20# tank. :)

36. mikehartigan

20# lasts about 30 kegs. This includes racking from the fermenter, purging the kegs, carbing, serving, purging and filling bottles for competition, carbonating the occasional 2L bottle of 'fresh' beer and soda (in addition to the 30 kegs), etc. I think "just under a pound of CO2 to carb a keg" may be overstating it just a tad. It sounds like the difference is probably pennies per keg one way or the other. (a buck a pound for table sugar?!?!? Dude, you're shopping in the wrong store! ;))

Edit: Wow! I stand corrected. I just did an online search and $1/lb seems to be a common, nominal price for cane sugar. It was about half that the last time I bought it for my brewery (homemade soft drinks, mostly). FWIW, I was paying $.05/lb as recently as ten years ago (I lived near the Canadian border. I would buy my sugar at the world price for homemade jam rather than pay the prevailing $.25 in the US due to the import restrictions on Cane sugar)

inchrisin likes this.
  37. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

As a fairly newbie kegger, I gotta say that I never considered the possibility of losing a keg. So how common is the "lost an entire keg" scenario that jbakajust1 suggests? What are the causes? Failed o-rings? Partially unlocked ball locks? Leaky cobra taps? What routine maintenance do I do to prevent it?

38. Rau71

Rau71 Dec 12, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I have a keg, but after 1 batch I turned it into a root beer keg, I just don't drink enough beer to have a keg on hand. That being said, haing homemade rootbeer on tap is the best thing ever.

39. OddNotion

OddNotion Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I live in an apartment and believe it or not, having a kegerator saves a ton of space! I also love the quick turn around time once the beer is ready to be carbonated.

40. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Never happened to me. <<<Knocks on wood>>>
    Bottle Bombs might be the bottlers equivenent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe