Second Edition of Jeff Alworth’s Beer Bible

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by M-Fox24, Sep 27, 2021.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,310) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2021/9/6/beer-bible-book-tour-dates

[​IMG]

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,318) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Huh?

I'm sure this is the reporter's error but still - no one at the publication (in Portland, no less) caught it?

Chaz, Resistance88, pudgym29 and 9 others like this.
  3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,184) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Do you suppose he has to share royalties from his bible with the "Beer Jesus?" :sweat_smile:

4. steveh

Society

Double, huh?

5. jesskidden

Society Trader

Computer editing/accidental deletion error?
    "Bavarian brewers use yeast instead of cream in their morning coffee, not hops like many US craft brewers... " :smiley:

6. steveh

Society

Bavarian brewers don't have morning coffee, they have Brotzeit -- when they partake in a Hefeweizen break. :grin:

So there's gotta be another answer. :wink:

woemad likes this.
  7. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, my first draft was "...use yeast to brush their teeth", but that didn't work for the hops.

"Uh, ya got somethin' green in your teeth there again this morning, Bob..."

8. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,648) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

The original is a very nice book. I hope this edition has better binding.

9. steveh

Society

Hop toothpaste? After all, mint is green. :grin:

10. steveh

Society

Paperback or hardbound?

Damn perfect binding on those thick paperbacks is always questionable.

11. zid

Society Trader

Hardcover. Alworth appreciates beer.

12. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,224) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

Huh. I’ve never even heard of the Portland Tribune.

edit: Ah, a free weekly broadsheet. Even still, no Portlandian should have let that through.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,161) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

From the linked discussion (with emphasis in bold by me):

“When writing about national traditions, "the one thing you learned when traveling around the world, in many countries, beer is culture and like cuisine — it's not like wine, it's not like a product of ingredients and fermentation. Brewers make thousands of decisions when thinking about making beer.”

If Jeff was successful in properly addressing the “thousands of decisions” then this book is truly a bible about beer.

Cheers!

PapaGoose03 and Rug like this.
  14. steveh

Society

Wow, and the binding is shoddy? Cheap production.
    Is that the title, or a statement?

I definitely recognize Alworth as a good resource for beer info. He's been around awhile... which is why I'm sure the quote about Bavarian brewers probably wasn't copied correctly. :wink:

woemad and Bshaw22 like this.
  15. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Champion (840) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I like Jeff Alworth. I’ve listened to him on lots of podcasts over the years. He’s very intelligent and gets respect from the new school and old school Brewers.
    I hope this book does well and it will probably one of those great legendary beer books to put on the shelf.

16. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,177) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That was in The Newer Testament.

PapaGoose03, Squire and steveh like this.
  17. zid

Society Trader

It's the book's read-between-the-lines title. Nah, it was really just my opinion.

woemad, Squire and steveh like this.
  18. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,655) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I just find any hobby book with the word "Bible" in the title is a bit pretentious in presentation.

19. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,076) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I have to say his podcast is perhaps one of the most entertaining ones out there. I started it right before covid took over every other podcast and it helped nurse me thru my late nite dog walks when I was tired of listening to covid this/covid that. From what I gather is he was approached to do the first Beer Bible and the title was already what it was, could be wrong. He is far from pretentious, and I will try to get over to Austin when he is there to support him.

GetMeAnIPA, pudgym29, Rug and 3 others like this.
  20. jesskidden

Society Trader

I worry about the factuality of them, since the namesake is not noted for it.:grin:

marquis, DonicBoom, moodenba and 7 others like this.
  21. steveh

Society

Dodges lightning bolt... :wink:

pudgym29, marquis, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  22. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Champion (840) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Totally agree. He seems like a great dude. i understand a lot of jokes on here are just jokes. But he seems to be the furthest thing from pretentious.

ChicagoJ, Rug and woemad like this.
  23. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,000) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I think it was chosen because the idea was to produce a Beer focused tome similar to the best selling Wine Bible, written by an author whose name now escapes me (fwiw, I own both books).

ChicagoJ and Squire like this.
  24. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,177) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It makes pretentiousness like a pretender. It is basically a simple throw away title. Which begs the question; Is it a good book?

Squire likes this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Society

I think it would be prudent to keep in mind that titles are sometimes (often?) chosen by the publisher vs. the author. I have written over a dozen beer related articles and the titles selected for publishing were sometimes not what I chose. Publishers are looking for 'pizazz' to sell product.

Cheers!

GetMeAnIPA, Bshaw22, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  26. Squire

Society Trader

Oh sure, my comment is not directed toward the author. I've seen a number of hobby books over the years with bible in the title which implies the last word on the subject when in fact it's just a way to boost sales.

woemad and PapaGoose03 like this.
  27. Squire

Society Trader

You made the point better than I did.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  28. woemad

Society Trader

Here's the Wine Bible. I think the original edition was published between 20 and 30yrs ago:
    [​IMG]
    Alworth's goal was to write a book similar to this, but about beer. I have both, and they're excellent guides to their respective beverages, and have a lot of info in one place. Alworth's misfortune was to publish his book just before hazies took over the IPA world.

rgordon likes this.
  29. SILVER

SILVER Initiate (184) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

Well, I just ordered mine. It'll look good next to the 1st edition and will make for conversation while comparing the two.

Rug likes this.
  30. SILVER

SILVER Initiate (184) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

It was delivered just about an hour ago.
    Prime Gold, or something like that.

31. marquis

marquis Champion (816) Nov 20, 2005 England

"a book regarded as authoritative in a particular sphere." is the definition of the word Bible.

pudgym29 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  32. steveh

Society

33. M-Fox24

Trader

Nice to see Jeff team up with pFriem, while touring -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

34. zid

Society Trader

35. M-Fox24

Trader

Jeff's post, if anyone's interested

Brewing A Dreher-Style Wiener Lager

woemad and sharpski like this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Society

From Jeff Alworth’s blog (with emphasis in bold by me):

“I started by preparing a historical overview of the beer, including everything I knew about its production method—with a big assist from Andreas Krennmair.”

Something I posted in a past thread:

"On the topic of Wiener (Vienna), are you aware of the recent book by Andreas Krennmair entitled Vienna Lager:

https://www.amazon.com/Vienna-Lager...1&keywords=Vienna+Lager&qid=1631307082&sr=8-2

Andreas also participated in a video interview with Brad Smith on this topic:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2020/07/30/vienna-lager-with-andreas-krennmair-beersmith-podcast-219/

I have not read the book (yet) but I found his discussion about Vienna Lager in the New World (Mexico, US) quite interesting."

Cheers!

Reef and woemad like this.
  37. woemad

Society Trader

I've always assumed there's a difference between New World and Old World Vienna lagers. I'm assuming the differences are subtle, but there, for those in the know.

38. JackHorzempa

Society

Well….

In my opinion the ‘answer’ is yes and no.

A Vienna Lager as brewed by Anton Dreher and by my local craft breweries is at one level a fairly simple beer from an ingredient perspective:

· 100% Vienna Malt

· 100% Noble Hops (Saaz hops in the case of Anton Dreher)

· Lager yeast

And of course, water which depending upon the specific mineral content can influence the resulting beer’s flavor profile.

As can be read in the Jeff Alworth blog the specific barley (which is used to produce the Vienna Malt) of the 1800’s is discussed as being Hana barley:

“Amazingly, they were able to source some pilsner malt made from Hana barley, a 19th century variety that Dreher himself may well have used.”

But pFriem was unable to locate a Malting Company that produced Vienna Malt (more highly kilned/darker than Pilsner Malt) from Haná barley so they made a business decision to brew their beer using an available Vienna Malt (Weyermann Vienna Malt). A practical/prudent decision IMO.

One aspect of beer as brewed in Europe in the 1800’s is that they typically had higher final gravity readings than contemporary beers. This would result in a beer that would have perceived more body (e.g., a fuller mouthfeel) and perhaps an increased perception of sweetness. This might be an artifact of the level of modification of malts in the 1800’s?

I am able to drink craft brewed Vienna Lagers that are brewed using Vienna Malt (likely the Weyermann brand) and solely hopped with Noble Hops. One example is the Vienna Lager brewed by Von C Brewing:

“Vienna Lager

5.5% ABV

Norristown, PA

This copper colored lager has a thick, cream colored head created by our traditional side pull beer faucets and a smooth and mild bitterness with faint floral hop aromas. You’ll be greeted with a complex malt flavor backdrop of pretzel crust, caramel, and bread from this all German ingredient beer.”

Next time I visit Von C I will ask the brewer (Jay) which specific ingredients he uses for this beer and process steps.

As regards the aspect of brewing processes, one consideration is the mashing regime. From the Jeff Alworth blog:

They used a single decoction, a concession to the quality of modern hops, and plan to do a longer, warmer ferment.”

I am not following the aspect of “a concession to the quality of modern hops” as regards the decision to conduct a single decoction. Anton Dreher likely conducted a multi-step decoction when brewing his Vienna Lager since the malts of that time were under-modified and a multi-step decoction is needed when brewing with under-modified malts to obtain proper extract.

If you have an interest in learning more about Haná (Hanna in German) barley I would encourage you to watch this video:

Cheers!

woemad, Reef and Rug like this.
  39. Rug

Rug Meyvn (1,354) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I just came across this video on my lunch break, great stuff. I enjoy that channel quite a bit

mactrail and JackHorzempa like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Society

I also thought their 5-part series about 'saving' cask beer in Britain was a worthwhile thing to watch.

Cheers!

mactrail and Rug like this.