Secret shop north of Seattle found out.

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by crusian, Jun 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusian

crusian Crusader (788) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

Been going to a shop by my mom's house for a few years. Great shop, always had great stuff on the shelf for months. Parabola for 3 months last year. This year, 1 week. I guess you pirannah found out about it. I'm sad. :slight_frown:
    Just venting in the hopes that the one or two people will make themselves known so I can hate you. Lol.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,533) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

"north of Seattle" covers a lot of territory. I'll have to take a look next time I'm at your Mom's place.

3. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (106) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Whistle Stop
    Stogies & Hops
    Shell gas station 45th & Fremont
    Norms Market
    Special Brews
    Central Market (Shoreline & Mill Creek)
    Chucks (ha ha)

I beg to differ on "secret shops".
    Gezzus, more cryptic post in the NW threads!

4. JasonJYoung

Trader

Depending on how you would classify "North Seattle", I'd also throw in:
    Village Thriftway (highly underrated)
    Special Brews
    Brigids Bottle Shop
    Edmonds PCC

I'm sure there are other so-called secret spots north of the canal, stretching up into Everett and beyond. Honestly, Parabola hung around a long time this year throughout areas surrounding Seattle. In fact, I saw a few bottles last month in Poulsbo, WA.

beertunes likes this.
  5. NWer

NWer Champion (809) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Don't forget the Hop & Hound. Or is that a secret?

beertunes and 66jzmstr like this.
  6. beertunes

Society Trader

The Ale Spike in Stanwood is "north of Seattle". For that matter, so is Elizabeth Station. So is every beer store in B.C.

woemad and NWer like this.
  7. NWer

Jeez, craft beer is everywhere. Next thing you know, we'll be another Portland

kemoarps, beertunes and ballardbeer like this.
  8. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (146) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

also the shell gas station on market and 8th ave.

JasonJYoung likes this.
  9. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,104) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Park's Pharmacy in Green Lake is another good one.

JasonJYoung likes this.
  10. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (419) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Metropolitan Market on Mercer in Queen Anne is solid as well.

JasonJYoung likes this.
  11. JasonJYoung

Trader

1. "The shell gas station on market and 8th ave"
    2. "Park's Pharmacy in Green Lake is another good one"
    3. "And Salah's on 24th and 80th"
    Dang, thanks for the info. Never would have considered these spots.

12. distantmantra

Trader

Since it's by my house, I ran into Parks a while back for some cold medicine and saw tons of coffee KDS just hanging out. This was a while back but it wasn't around town anymore.

13. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,703) May 12, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

As does the shell at market / 8th

Vivified likes this.
  14. NWer

As does the 76 gas station & car wash at 196th & Alderwood Parkway in Lynnwood

beertunes likes this.
  15. twelveinches

twelveinches Defender (662) Oct 26, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Yup, my vote is to keep craft beer out of Smokey Point tho ...they should focus on Marijuana.

woemad, NWer and beertunes like this.
  16. beertunes

Society Trader

With Silvana Meats just down the road to cure the munchies!

kemoarps and NWer like this.
  17. JasonJYoung

Trader

Had a chance to stop by Saleh's Delicatessen. Wow, really appreciate the heads up on this place. I live 1.3 miles from this place and had no idea. Rarely go down that way. Is the location still part or Ballard or is it considered Crown Hill?

Also, read an article on Discount Grocers growing beer & wine section . I stopped in the location off Hollman/Crown Hill. Spoke with store manager who also is the beer buyer. Supposedly, they are not done expanding their beer selection. With the volume they do in the region, he said the distributors are sending better stuff. First time I've been inside a Discount Grocer. The beer section wasn't that bad. Lots of Macro's, but a nice selection of other stuff too.

These types of threads are kinda tough. It's a Catch-22 sorta thing. We all try to keep certain spots a little secretive, but wouldn't you think the more sales a place does, maybe they continue to grow their offerings? I haven't been in Seattle as long as many of you. I made it a point (and still do) to get out and frequent tons of places all throughout the region, and not just within the city limits. I'm not sure if most people in Seattle and Portland realize how lucky you are to have aceess to so much!

BTW: Don't sleep on a couple gems in Lake City.

18. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,687) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

If you've lived in the NW all your life, then I agree it's easy to take it for granted. However, if you lived elsewhere or do any extensive traveling, you'll find out pretty quickly that most places are NOT anything like the NW.

When I lived in the Baltimore area, I was constantly reminded how much better things were back in the NW. For one thing, grocery stores aren't allowed to sell alcohol back there, so you had to go to the "liquor store" or "wine store" if you wanted to find any craft options. Even then, your typical Safeway or Albertson's in Seattle/Portland would have a significantly superior craft selection than all but a handful of stores in the Baltimore area. And let's not even begin to discuss East Coast prices.

So yeah... I think most of us on BA are well aware how lucky we are, even if it is pretty easy to become jaded pretty quickly by the abundance of options and choices we have out here. :slight_smile:

#18 John_M, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  19. mactrail

mactrail Poo-Bah (9,981) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Society Trader

Possibly nobody knows about the Central Market in Shoreline-- on your way to the 76 gas station & car wash, of course.

Erik-P and beertunes like this.
  20. NWer

Popular place. No secret.

sanford_and_son likes this.
  21. distantmantra

Trader

None of the Central Markets are a secret. Great shops.

Nothing should be a secret. They're businesses that would like to make money and keep existing.

sharpski, NWer and ballardbeer like this.
  22. mactrail

mactrail Poo-Bah (9,981) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Society Trader

I thought the OP was being wry when he named this thread "secret shop." I should have added a smiley or winkie to my post. Now I'm :slight_frown:.

distantmantra likes this.
  23. NWer

By the way. When did Stickee Monkey become a shelf beer? It's been languishing on the shelf for a few weeks at least at the Mill Creek Central Market.

kemoarps likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.