Seeds of Doubt? Appearance of RedX Grains

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by pweis909, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:52 PM.

1. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,737) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

I just received some Best RedX and Pils malts that I intend to use in an altbier. Never used RedX. The grains look identical to the pils grains. Should I expect RedX to look a little darker than the pils? I guess I’ll open the bags and see if I can taste a different but am wondering if I could have been shipped the wrong grains.

2. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (94) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I have had two beers a homebrew club member made with RedX, base malt and not much else, and everyone said they tasted something different that expected. I put it as a smokey butterscotch flavor but others had different opinions. Not sure I would put it on my list of malts.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  3. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (73) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Bestmalz site shows ~12°L for RedX and ~3°L for their pilsen, FWIW.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  4. pweis909

Premium

I’m my own homebrew club, so no one else is going to brew a batch to satisfy my curiosity. FWIW, I’m going with 61% pils, 36% RedX, and equal amounts of chocolate wheat and weyermann Cara aroma (35L or so?). Impy yeast - kaiser. I’ll aim for a fairly high bitterness and moderate aroma. Hops on hand that I think would be appropriate are tradition, sterling, crystal, Perle, and northern brewer, haven’t decided yet.

5. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (711) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Brewed with RedX many times...once with 100%...different, but in a good way for the right beer (think Pataskala by Stone). From what I remember it was slightly darker than Pale Ale malt with a somewhat greyish tint.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  6. pweis909

Premium

Greyish? Well that's disappointing.

7. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,450) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

I haven't used red-x, so take this with a grain of salt. But the color of the "outside" (husk) of the malt doesn't always correlate directly with the color of the wort. Munich would be a good example. (I think GK101 was referring to the husk color.)

pweis909 and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  8. pweis909

Premium

Yes, I believe your right. I was thinking he was indicating wort color. I guess I thought I have perceived a greater correlation between grain color and wort color than may actually exist.

9. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (94) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I understand your stand point. I have no idea how much the member used in his beers. But i am fairly closed minded when it comes to flavors in my beers, and this is one I wan't very open too. not sure I could go with GreenKrustys101's 100% on it is all.

I have been personally tempted to use it from time to time as I am a stickler for color and when I want red... I want red... Which usually leads to me not being happy with the SRM of my beer....

MrOH likes this.