Serious Eats: "Which is the Best Beer City?"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ONovoMexicano, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stiglitz

stiglitz Initiate (82) Nov 6, 2013 New Jersey

Philly.

BigMike likes this.
  2. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Small state, but sometimes "you can't get there from here"! Burlington may have 3 breweries, I really don't know. But at pop. 60K, it's the big city :slight_smile:

3. NCMonte

NCMonte Aspirant (248) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

While I do agree, we have some average breweries in town, there are also some very nice breweries in town and 4 more opening soon enough. If you have not been here it would be hard to judge because some of the best brewers are not packaging and shipped abroad. That may change.

If you expand Asheville to include Pisgah brewing in Black Mountain and Oskar Blues in Brevard (one is 25min away from downtown the other about 45min drive), then the spectrum of really good breweries expands even further.

I have high hopes for Catawba, Twin leaf, and of course Sierra Nevada and New Belgium are known commodities. It will be hard to beat Asheville soon enough if not now.

Edit: Oh and don't get me started on the # of breweries per Capita. Asheville is the 6th largest city in NC and has more breweries per capita than any other decent sized city, if this is your measure of "beer city".

Edit #2: Having been to Oktoberfest in Munich, that has got to be on the list somewhere of top beer cities in the world. Oktoberfest is amazing and worth a mention of Munich alone.

#123 NCMonte, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  4. BeerNinjaLevel1

BeerNinjaLevel1 Initiate (48) Dec 30, 2012 Washington

Portland is not only an older craft brew living city but it is still at the cutting edge. Big hoppy brews, rich darks, puckering sours, refreshing session style lighter stuff and seriously large quantities of craft beer bars and breweries. Bend Oregon now has more breweries per capita but I don't believe any one has more breweries.

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  5. rxeight

rxeight Aspirant (250) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

City with the best beer made in it. San Diego

City with the best beer available in it. Chicago.

6. NCMonte

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning: Oh, look at that Sierra Nevada is now shipping beer out of its Asheville facility... How about that. Another Brewery of our favorite drink producing quality beer in town.

7. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

In my estimation, Bend has more breweries per capita than any other decent sized city. Asheville and Bend are close though. Though the numbers I could find are:

Bend: 17 breweries for 79,109 people
    Asheville: 13 breweries for 85,712

beertunes, NCMonte and HRamz3 like this.
  8. HRamz3

Deactivated

See, this is what I don't get. Yes, it's great that SN opened a brewery in Asheville. But it's not like that all the sudden makes it a "great" beer destination. It changes nothing, other than helping the local economy.

9. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (569) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

Nope, Philly has the best distribution in the world. West Coast, Midwest, East Coast, and most of the best imports are all there. If all other things were equal (and they're not) getting Russian River alone puts Philly over Chicago.

HRamz3 likes this.
  10. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Morgan hill, CA. we've got El Toro. Ya..

11. rxeight

rxeight Aspirant (250) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

Your're right all other things arent equal, Chicago gets Pipeworks, Three Floyds and Surly. Plus a lot more of the rare beers from Founders and Bells. Not to mention Alesmith is in Illinois now, and New Glarus is a half hour drive away.

12. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 Wisconsin

With all the posing about food trucks and brewery rep, nobody seems to be paying attention to the whole point of beer: drinking it. Oregon is 20th in the country in per capita beer consumption, Colorado is 24th, Illinois is 26th, and California is trailing well behind at 44th. If these are such great beer destinations, why do the people there drink so little beer?

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  13. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (312) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

I may be over generalizing, but if all of the "I drink for the flavor, not the alcohol" threads are any indication I suspect that people who drink craft beer tend to drink less beer than people who are slamming 12 packs of BMC on a daily basis.

TongoRad, jmgrub and TheeWalrusHunter like this.
  14. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (569) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

Philly gets all the Founders, Bells, too, plus they get Alesmith. Then there's Lost Abbey, Half Acre, Cigar City, Cascade, Bruery, Westrbook (apparently now), Firestone Walker, Goose Island, Great Lakes, Ithaca, Troegs, Avery, Anchorage, Bear Republic, Central Waters, HOTD, Voodoo, Weyerbacher, Deschutes...

csoult, BigMike and HRamz3 like this.
  15. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Haha... Haters gone hate... C'mon man. La Cumbre, Marble, Nexus, Bosque, two Tractor locations, a new Bosque location, a new brewery and burger place, Stumbling Steer, Marble West Side. This place has breweries galore. That's why I think it deserves at least some consideration. Any city that has La Cumbre and Marble deserves some love. But hey, if you don't like it, like these folks say on here all the time, "More beer for me."

HRamz3 likes this.
  16. ONovoMexicano

Haha. This argument gives New Mexico a bit more credibility. We're pretty high up there in consumption per capita.

17. HRamz3

Deactivated

I really do like ABQ, and it has come a LONG way pretty quickly. But comparing it to the top tier beer cities is just kind of setting up for failure.

The fact that you can get a great beer and a green chile cheeseburger should make everyone else in the entire country, well, green with envy! That's something you ain't getting nowhere else!

vurt likes this.
  18. TheeWalrusHunter

and meth.

19. TheeWalrusHunter

Another fun fact:

Oregonians consumed 2.79 million barrels of beer in 2012, of that more than 17 percent or 483,400 barrels of the total beer consumed in Oregon, was made in Oregon and that’s up 12.8% over 2011. US craft beer consumption is 6.5 percent by volume.

17 percent of the beer consumed in Oregon was made by Oregonians. THAT IS CRAZY!

20. ONovoMexicano

Well, if you believe TV, yes. Heroine is a much bigger problem here. The midwest and Appalachias have much bigger problems with that.

Anyways, this has nothing to do with beer.

21. NCMonte

I believe your count to be off on the # of Asheville Breweries, making brew. But, with that count, Bend would have more per capita, until the rest of the Asheville Breweries are completed in 2014.

22. TheeWalrusHunter

I just went off of this site:

http://ashevillealetrail.com

"Western North Carolina has more than 20 craft beer breweries producing world class beer in our area, and 13 of those are located in Asheville alone!"

23. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,826) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Bend has 17, the Central Oregon area has 24.
    http://beermebend.com/

I am doing a Portland and Bend tour in April. Have good friends in Bend.

24. TheeWalrusHunter

That is true if no new breweries open up in Bend, which if last year is any indication - is not the case.

25. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,826) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

The link I posted says there are 4 on deck for 2014 in Bend.

26. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 Wisconsin

Uh huh. Let's have a show of hands: How many people on this thread have less beer in their house right now than any of the BMC drinkers they know?

27. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,507) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

This pop back up again, I thought we had already decided that Waterbury was tops for the high end beer selection. The only place you can get Alchemist/Lawson/HF everyday on tap anyway. Not the variety of San Diego, but I'm not concerned with who has the most breweries only the best ones.

28. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,843) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

My top 5 picks of best beer cities would be:

Vermont: Hill Farmstead & Lawsons!
    Wisconsin: New Glarus & Central Waters!
    Colorado: Crooked Stave!
    Iowa: Toppling Goliath!
    Oregon: Hair of the Dog, Block 15, Deschutes, Boneyard, Logsdon, Pelican, Upright, & De Garde!!!

29. ONovoMexicano

Where are the 5 cities you mentioned located? I've never heard of any of them.

vince4953529 likes this.
  30. DunnDiego

DunnDiego Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2010 California

This thread reminded me of why I rarely visit BA.....

31. mkirkland80

mkirkland80 Aspirant (293) Apr 29, 2012 Virginia

All these cities are definitely beer cities, Asheville, San Diego, Denver, the list goes on and on. Don't sleep on us over here in Richmond. Up and coming beer city the some of the best food around, Americas number 1 beer bar, and breweries in every corner of the city. I guess this can be said about any number of smaller cities. The fact is that the country has see and explosion of craft beer and I for one am enjoying reaping its benefits.

So my answer is

'MERICA

32. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

NYC and Tokyo

33. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

beerAdvocate, proving once again that there are dicks everywhere. Even in Portland.

34. TheeWalrusHunter

Teaching someone language and math and being a dick are two very different things... Actually they are pretty much the same thing.

Ill DM you my paypal account info so you can pay me for the tutoring session.

35. 77black_ships

77black_ships Disciple (393) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Haven’t really travelled enough to give a proper opinion but London is pretty ridiculous for beer. I keep hearing great stuff about Copenhagen. Plus the famous destinations in Germany & Czech Republic. Cologne was quite fun.

Belgium interestingly definitely has its places a whole, taken city by city it doesn’t seem that way to me. The whole of Belgium is of course smaller than some cities.

36. 77black_ships

77black_ships Disciple (393) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Imports are basically non-existing in Belgium. It has gone from basically nothing to very little in recent times. Hoppy Loft has a lot by Belgian standards. Anyone expecting a decent foreign selection in Belgium is pretty much guaranteed to wind up disappointed.

Holland not being having the history of beer that Belgium has is therefore obviously more open to the idea of importing beer.
    Even the industrial macro brands here are made in Belgium.

37. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Utah

Munich. Oktoberfest and solid traditional recipies

NCMonte likes this.
  38. BitterTetley

BitterTetley Initiate (34) Apr 3, 2013 North Carolina

Leeds, England. There's a Samuel Smiths or a Tetley's pub on every corner.

39. Nedster10

Nedster10 Aspirant (227) Feb 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Grand Rapids, MI - Official Beer City USA.

Boverhof3 likes this.
  40. TheeWalrusHunter

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: Enjoy San Diego.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.