Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Seriously underwhelmed by Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AmitC, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levitation

i'm betting it was too cold. hope the other bottles are better to you. it's a great beer.

cadizkyguy and BlackBelt5112203 like this.
  2. raczkowski

Beer Trader

I did this last year once with shipyard apple head thinking it'd be like apple pie....that really opened my eyes.

Last year was the first time I tried hopslam. Total wine in Orlando had cases of it and I didn't wanna pull the trigger on an 80.00 case without trying it...so brother and i bought a cold six pack. Went to the car and drank it, then proceeded to go back and buy 2 cases of it. I lobe this beer and plan on buying as much as I can afford. Sending a case to Ny for my trading partner but I could see myself drinking a case very quickly so I hope my bday at end of January yields plenty of beer money! Highly anticipating getting this one.

3. luwak

Beer Trader

Yeah i was too first time i had it a few years ago.
    It's a really good beer but i wouldn't go chasing a truck for it.

4. kzoobrew

Translation: I may be speaking before it is fair to make a definitive statement but let me make a definitive statement. ;)

I cannot wait for the "I love Hopslam" thread after the fifth bottle. Gotta love reactionary threads.

5. AmitC

In life, most of the time you are judged by first appearance. I am not saying that is right, but come on, this hype needs to deliver it the first time. I too hope i am wrong. Would be good for me.

6. nachos

Beer Trader

45 minutes in the freezer is a long time, could definitely contribute to muted smell and flavors

7. Thickfreakness

Love the MI people that can't imagine that something from MI "Might Not Be That That Good!!!" Hey, I love Bolt Cutter... don't get your panties in a wad! News flash!!! Hopslam Blows!!! NBD... It's just a shitty beer! Don't take it so personally like you brewed it or something.

8. kzoobrew

I cannot agree with that. It is foolish to buy into hype, especially after being given reason to know better. In life, we should learn from our mistakes and not repeat them. Hype should only lead to disappointment in self, not the product. Hype is the fault of a person, not a product.

skinsfan and luwak like this.
  9. ehammond1

[​IMG]

10. Tballz420

Who the hell buys 24 of an expensive beer that they've never tried before just because the internets says its good?

11. kzoobrew

Love the NY people who can't get Bell's giving the MI guys crap because they are jealous they can't get Bell's. ;)

vivasbeer and stayclean like this.
  12. crossovert

never had a mead that actually tasted like honey... ive had several.

13. hopfenunmaltz

I have had many where you can even pick out the variety of honey used. The sugars ferment, but the aromatics stay.

You need to have meads made by some better mead makers. :)

14. crossovert

ok... aromatics... not taste. Ive had kuhnhenn, b.nektar, and bell's meads.

15. AmitC

I am not too much worried about 23 bottles. I would drink them all, if needed, and pretty happily too, it drinks really well and is 10%. So it justifies the price, $66 including taxes. I was initially buying a 6-pack, at almost $22, so i thought why not a case. I am not really pissed about the quantity that i bought, but more about the fact that beer did not meet the hype. It is a lesson to me, as i said.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  16. hopfenunmaltz

OK, that is not bad.

I have never had a beer that tastes like fresh wort either. It all changes due to the yeast, no?

Edit - the best ones i have had are not commercially viable, they use 2 gallons of honey per 5 gallons, the yeast gives up before the sugars are fermented. These are around 16 -17 ABV and have the honey sweet taste left, as there is sugar left. Try and find some.

17. crossovert

if it is under-attenuated. Fact is in beer honey is pretty much undetectable, especially with all those hops.

18. Brenden

Subscriber Beer Trader

Underhyped, perhaps? No, but it sure lives up to it. If you've gotten a single bottle that the aroma hasn't exploded out of as soon as the cap was off, check your nose.

19. ChefHopMeister

Like a good woman, Hopslam is worth the chase. It's a world class brew.

20. DrDemento456

DIPA:
    Take an India Pale Ale and feed it steroids, ergo the term Double IPA. Although open to the same interpretation as its sister styles, you should expect something robust, malty, alcoholic and with a hop profile that MIGHT rip your tongue out.

Sounds like it's "on par" with the style to me.

21. robboyd

Exactly. The 100% fermented statement along with kzoo claiming the same earlier had me scratching my head. Residual sugars are present in beers, otherwise, we would only have dry beer. There are lots of mead with extremely strong honey flavor. Here's at least one source that claims honey to be only 75% fermentable:

http://www.brewerylane.com/sugarsum.html

If you can't taste a flavor reminiscent of honey in this beer, I question your palate. It does not dominate but it doesn't exactly take a back seat either. Perhaps better explanation is needed from the doubters. At any rate, I think hopslam is as fine a beer as it has always been. I live in Indianapolis, if the OP has trouble offloading his 3 sixers, I'll be willing to help depending on demands. BM if interested and other offers fall through.

El_Zilcho and tewaris like this.
  22. jera1350

You should buy another case or two just to make sure you didn't get a bad first case.

23. AmitC

Agree with the definition you put forth.

Robust - not very much.

Malty - not that malty, sweet more because of honey than malt.

'hop profile that MIGHT rip your tongue out' - Not at all. This is where it seriously disappoints.

24. AmitC

Sure. Give me $66 and i happily will.

25. kzoobrew

Google "Honey 100% fermentable" and you will get many other sources. Here is a fairly reputable source which says 95% fermentable http://brewwiki.com/index.php/Honey ..

The amount of honey in Hopslam is not every close to what there is in a mead or even a Braggot for that matter. Honey does leave behind some trace but not nearly what people claim to pick up in this beer. I wager that if you make a beer without honey and the same hop schedule you will have some people claim to taste some of the same "honey" flavors in a blind tasting.

26. kzoobrew

Sweetness is not from honey. The honey acutally dries out the beer making it less sweet, dextrins are added back in to replace some of the body the honey removes.

27. robboyd

Even at 5% residual sugar, you would still detect flavor. Not to beat the mead horse to death but a mead with 5% resudual sugar is going to be labeled somewhere between semi-dry (typically 3-4% and semi-sweet (typically 6-7%). I would agree with you in your wager. However, I would also wager that if you drank your proposed beer head-to-head with hopslam, the actual and non-perceived honey flavor would be that much more distinguishable. Really the only point I was trying to make is that honey is not going to ferment out 100% and what is left behind SHOULD be detected. It's not fair to say it's in people's minds.

28. Beach_Bum

It's no Zombie Dust, but really only a few hoppy beers can stack up.

29. kzoobrew

I am not saying it is not distinguishable, I am saying that the extent that people make it out to be is overstated in most cases.

30. EddieGold

ill tell ya what, you send me the rest of it and ill fuckin drink it.

31. JohnB87

I feel that there should be bets going in Vegas on when the first Hopslam Sucks/Not Good This Year thread shows up.

32. hopfenunmaltz

Ask Larry why they are using the most expensive source of sugar for that beer. I often wonder.

33. KevSal

Beer Trader

This is a good opportunity to share it with friends this weekend during football. Im sure some would really appreciate it. Being 2 sixers to my buddy's house on sat myself (on top of some killer bombers;))

34. Highbrow

Beer Trader

in short you, bought a car & then decided to test drive it after you paid for it. then you came to let off your rocks... the seats aren't as comfortable as you imagined & it doesn't handle the way you imagined. you certainly know about certainty.:rolleyes:

35. Wingfan13

Beer Trader

Hopslam is shitty ? Might want to check the top 100 beers list.

Listen, When did Hopslam first come out ? I am sure when it did it was an absolute hop bomb because at the time breweries weren't going out there trying to make the most bitter beer in the world. It wasn't the trend at the time. You seem to dislike it because there are plenty of people who love it and you don't.

CMUbrew likes this.
  36. CMUbrew

I'm sure by now many people have said you shouldn't buy a case of beer you've never tried. That's common sense. Hell, even buying a six pack of an unknown beer can bite you in the ass.
    I also had my first Hopslam tonight. Fucking awesome beer. Bitter and hoppy, yet incredibly balanced. No trace of alcohol at 10%. What's the problem? Sounds like you're more at fault than the beer. Subjective taste strikes again.

37. C2H5

Beer Trader

Hopslam season is funny. I love it when people hate Hopslam, please hate it...post more threads about how it sucks..boycott this beer!

meanmutt likes this.
  38. evilc

Hopslam amazed me last year and I bet it will this year. A nice trading buddy hit me up asking me if I wanted any - damn right I do! Can't wait!

39. cadizkyguy

Still have four bottles from feb 2012 in the fridge. Even great with age.

MSandahl23 likes this.
  40. Lutter

This beer is mediocre at when you compare it to the great IPAs coming out the west coast, IMHO.

And I've had it fresh twice (two different years), since my dad is a big fan of it and sends it.

Oh, and you people that age it are weird. :) To me that's like aging fresh lettuce or milk. Just buy a nice barleywine instead and skip that part.

AmitC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe