Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Seriously underwhelmed by Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AmitC, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

FWIW: Alpine Exponential Hoppiness is the greatest IPA I've ever had the pleasure of putting my lips around.

2. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

It bummed me out this past release. The previous was good. It is a weird beer - totally different every batch.

3. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Nov 16, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Don't know if I would go this far...but I agree for the most part. I prefer Nelson over Hopslam.

4. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

I've had at least 30 gallons of Nelson. Hopslam maybe a case. Maybe I need more samples....

5. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Sounds like you have a case of what is known as Lupulin Threshold Shift combined with not having spent time with the reviews before buying. Hopslam has lots of hop flavor without tongue rasping bitterness and is very consistent from year to year.

6. GCurlow

GCurlow Oct 13, 2005 Washington

You mentioned this beer is balanced. You mentioned this beer hides its alcohol well.

What's the problem again you say...?

You described a style of beer that tends to have stylistic faults such as being alcoholic an unbalanced. This beer is a fantastic interpretation of a IIPA.

7. StoutLover4life

StoutLover4life Dec 13, 2012

zombie dust is just as good but then again...
    "Is it me or is this years black note thinner and more artificial tasting since the bottled it in 12ozers and distributed it?"

8. Moose90

Moose90 Nov 25, 2012 Washington
    Beer Trader

I don't know if I'd buy a case of anything before trying it at least a couple of times.

Hey at least you didn't drop $600 on a case of over-hyped wine.

Heidelberg7 likes this.
  9. tewaris

tewaris Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

@ OP: You learned your lesson semantics aside and you should move on. So could others but then what fun would the forums be?

@ kzoobrew, crossvert: While many elements present might not seem obvious, or conversely many elements absent might seem present in a blind tasting, I have found that honey can indeed be tasted. In fact I have picked honey in beers and later found out that they did indeed use honey (Event Horizon and, more recently, BoT come to mind). And I am not talking about aromatics only.

10. headbucket

headbucket Oct 30, 2007 Ohio

goandsendittomebro....??

11. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Apr 22, 2011 Illinois

Wow! If that were friggin possible I'd be out getting my own trade case right now! Heady kicks Hopslam in the nuts!

FriarTuckInLuck and cavedave like this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Being unbalancedly hop ferocious isn't a style flaw for IIPA, it is more like a style requirement for a fine one. From this site's style guidelines:

"you should expect something robust, malty, alcoholic and with a hop profile that might rip your tongue out."

13. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Apr 22, 2011 Illinois

^^^^^^^^^^
    This reads like some kind of philosophical Yoda Jedi teaching.......

Disappointed you become when hype is your master. Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unrealistic expectation, unrealistic expectation leads to hate, hate leads to this thread........

You are like a beer Yoda!........some kind of Hop Jedi?............ Ob-eron Kenobi?

14. seeswo

seeswo Jan 10, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

"<Insert beer that people like> isn't as <extreme flavor profile> as I thought it would be and I am disappointed because I can only derive pleasure from MOAR <extreme flavor profile>!!!" should just be a pinned thread.

FriarTuckInLuck and skinsfan like this.
  15. skinsfan

skinsfan May 24, 2005 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Oh crap, thats not how this works? I thought for sure my tastebuds and sense of smell were directly connected to what the internet says! Learn something new everyday. haha

Tballz420 and tehzachatak like this.
  16. drtth

Absolutely, I've had the same experience with honey in beer. Honeys come in different flavors depending on where the bees gather their nectar. It contains a noticeable amount of non-fermentables, so even if all the sugar from the honey is gone the non-fermentables remain and there are often sugars from other sources (e.g. barley) present.

tewaris likes this.
  17. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

If one were to use Buckwheat honey in a beer, I think anyone could pick that out. Strong flavored, that Buckwheat is.

drtth likes this.
  18. GRG1313

GRG1313 Jan 15, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

This goes back to that "some people like chocolate, some people like vanilla" point that is so frequently made on this site. Isn't this all just a matter of taste?

Sounds like you liked it fine. (And, did you really expect it to be better than Zombie Dust?? ZD is up there with only a handful of others, perhaps Hopslam is up there too - just not for you. I happen to like ZD better also, which is not to criticize Hopslam). Your description is one that is favorable - just not better or a favorite than others you may like better.

Truthfully, I'm not taking your comments as a negative on this one. I'm just taking your comments to mean that you like others better. (Some people like BMWs and some like Mercedes. Doesn't mean that one of them is not "good" or not worth their status/evaluation in the car community - same thing with beer. No?)

JMO

19. drtth

Indeed, and given my experience with a few varieities of honey (e.g., I have a particular fondness for Sourwood Honey), I doubt I could tell one generic honey from another when used in beer, but I'd bet on my ability to pick out a beer made with all Sourwood honey from one made with all Buckwheat honey unless the brewer deliberately set out to obscure those flavors rather than include them in the flavor profile. :)

20. AmitC

AmitC Sep 21, 2012 New York

I never wanted my comments to be taken negatively. And i have nothing against Hopslam. I will still give it 4.25 or so. To me, however it is not a hop bomb or anything a DIPA should be (except for ABV). The way it is balanced, taste wise and how well it hides alcohol make it a winner alright. I like my stuff a bit unbalanced especially on the hop side.

21. bramsdell

bramsdell May 27, 2011 North Carolina

Last year I had my first Hopslam. I was initially disappointed, but only because I wasn't blown away. A couple days later, I had a second bottle, and I liked it more. It really isn't my preference in a DIPA - it's too sweet for me, but for so many hops, that sweetness is necessary for "balance." I suppose a like a less-balanced DIPA, one with a much lighter body and more aggressive hoppiness.

22. AmitC

I am a newbie. But i can name at least four DIPAs that i find better than this, just of the top off my head. Ruination, Hoptimum, Resin, 90 minute. When i was having Hoptimum, a few people said wait till you have Hopslam. Come on. No where near. I expect my DIPA to have a good amount of raw hop bitterness.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  23. AmitC

I read the reviews and bought the case after a few recommendations. That is why underwhelmed. Beer is still very good, just not what i expected.

24. TwelveOunces

TwelveOunces Nov 7, 2011 Kentucky

I thought it was over rated last year because it was too boozy and not hoppy enough. This year I feel like it's more balanced and they covered the alcohol a bit better. Its also not hopped up enough for a name like Hopslam. A great beer but quite over rated (and expensive).

25. AmitC

Sir, buying a $66 case of beer is in no way comparable to buying a car or marrying a girl (one other poster said something about marriage). Think over it.

26. ShawnG

ShawnG Jul 6, 2012 South Carolina

I can smell a fresh glass of Hopslam from 5 feet away. It has a balance that is rare in IPA's.
    I can hardly get through a whole glass of Riunation or Hoptimum.
    It just goes to show how people have different tastes in beer.
    I descibe fresh Hopslam as "Delicious"
    Top 3 for me.

27. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

28. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Jul 15, 2011 Michigan

I think too that Hopslam is a different flavor profile from most other great DIPA's. It tastes nothing like (to me) Heady, Pliny, Citra, etc.

In my view though, it's the perfect Winter DIPA.

Heidelberg7 likes this.
  29. abraxel

abraxel Aug 28, 2009 Michigan

Every time I hear this (and it's said quite often, not just about beer), I facepalm inside and feel a little sad. Why do you choose to put so much stock in expectations? Why not give every beer you drink as equal a shot as you possibly can? Sure, still use reviews and hearsay to choose what to drink, but then try to set all that aside and let the beer speak for itself. I guarantee you'll find yourself enjoying (and respecting) beer more.

Cheers!

30. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I've gotta get me some two hearted if someone says it's better crafted than Hopslam since it's always sitting there. If you want a hop bomb pick up some Green Flash West Coast IPA; that stuff will strip paint for sure!

31. ridglens

ridglens Jan 10, 2010 Indiana

I agree, while i have before been *slightly* disapointed with the taste (usually when my imagination/memory of "last year's hopslam" grows too big) I have never been disappointed with the aroma. best smelling DIPA ever, it think.

zac16125 and Bitter_Echo like this.
  32. BMitch

BMitch Jul 10, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I'm seriously underwhelmed by this thread

33. je1129

je1129 Feb 22, 2011 Iowa

To your credit your handling all the comments directed at you like a GD champ!
    And I can't wait for hopslam to come out here.
    Cheers!

AmitC likes this.
  34. FlakyBiscuit

FlakyBiscuit Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

Don't make your opinion the standard and people wont be so upset. You don't like it.....fine. Others love it....fine.

35. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

He didn't say "more" aroma, he said "best". Big difference. I tend to agree with him. Stuff smells like heaven to me. Tastes amazing too. The problem is that people expect it to be the "hoppiest" beer they have ever tried (some combination of 100+ IBU and eye watering aroma/flavor). Its not like that. Its just one of the most expertly hopped beers made.

36. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

I don't want it to be the hoppiest, I just want it to be awesome in its own right.

37. ChanChan

ChanChan Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

You should write blogs sharing your experiences on beer.

38. Highbrow

Highbrow Jan 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

costs & commitments aside, they are *certainly* comparable in terms of logic. they all have a common theme - you should sample before you commit or ASSUME. perhaps heed your own advice. "THINK IT OVER".

having finally had a chance to skim through & see what i've missed, i've come the conclusion logic isn't going to rein on your parade. so by all means continue buy cases sight unseen. when you get constructive criticism about it, make sure you make everyone aware logic actually is your strong suit by telling them you froze the balls off the flavor & aroma prior to serving. matter of fact, kill us all with logic by telling us you were "certain" because you read that a bunch of guys... who drink an awful lot - were certain.

. . . [​IMG]

39. tectactoe

tectactoe Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

You like what you like. No other way to say it. I'll be glad to take it off of your hands, though.

40. AmitC

I had just the day before. It is excellent. Nothing like strip paint or anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe