Sexism in my local beer scene.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Tdizzle, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (522) Dec 19, 2006 California

There are two new breweries scheduled to open soon in my neighborhood (both in Anaheim, CA). One of them is called "Brewery X."

I recently saw someone post a pic on social media of a condom with the Brewery X logo on it, with the phrase "X gon give it to ya" on the condom wrapper. That gave me pause. Something didn't sit right with me about a new business that produces alcohol handing out condoms as promotional material.

Today, I saw someone post the tap list for a new brewery in Anaheim called "The Beer Co." One of the beer names, "Dumb Blonde Blonde Ale," stuck out as particularly in poor taste.

I am not a super left-leaning individual. I am not a fan of outrage culture. I am not overly sensitive or feel that people don't have the right to say offensive things, but the marketing tactics of these two new Anaheim breweries feels wrong to me. Am I being a buzzkill, or taking these things way more seriously than I should?

[​IMG]

2. RagingBitch

RagingBitch Initiate (42) Aug 4, 2019 Maryland

I am a female beer drinker and to be honest the names don't really bother me much. I mean if the beer taste good it is going to sell. The marketing tool of the names is just that what gets the customer to notice it. If it don't taste good it won't last name or no name.

As for the condoms I don't know about that tactic. I do understand what they are trying to promote, but in my opinion I was never into all that going to bars and clubs and hooking up like that.

3. mngermanshepherd

mngermanshepherd Aspirant (280) Jun 4, 2018 Minnesota

Is it offensive? A subjective question. Is it tasteful? Not in the least. Let the markets do what they do best...correct themselves. If enough people are offended, it will be reflected in sales (and ultimately the long-term existence). Meanwhile, there are plenty of good, tasty, other brews out there that avoid controversy and just make darn good beer. Cheers!

4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,458) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Juvenile minds waiting to grow up? These things are borderline edgy but not enough to keep me from drinking the beers as long as the beers are good. If these 'tricks' are to mask bad beers, well, shame on them. I'm not stupid; I'm one and done.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,093) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

And as a consumer you have the choice to not financially support these businesses.

@mngermanshepherd already beat me to the punch with the statement of: "Let the markets do what they do best...correct themselves."

Cheers!

BJB13, PatrickCT, storm72 and 10 others like this.
  6. zid

zid Meyvn (1,310) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Places called "Brewery X" and "The Beer Co." opening in the same time in the same area? Is Anaheim a sci-fi dystopia?

jdell15, hottenot, GuyFawkes and 22 others like this.
  7. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (509) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

If you are offended by something, its offensive.
    You do not have to explain yourself. There are likely to be many people that agree with you.

Raj, hottenot, ernh and 14 others like this.
  8. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,001) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Without even getting into my personal opinion on this matter, I will simply say this: The world has bigger issues on its plate right now. Cheers, sir.

9. drinkin-beeers

drinkin-beeers Disciple (362) Jan 29, 2014 Montana

If it’s a four handed condom then it’s a good idea.

HouseofWortship and Tdizzle like this.
  10. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,370) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

After seeing things like tramp stamp IPA from Clown Shoes, this doesn't phase me much (the dumb blond ale). It really seems more juvenile than patently offensive or tasteless (though I understand this is matter of opinion/perspective).

I assume the brewer is trying to be funny or clever, but mostly it just seems kind of lame.

11. Tdizzle

I agree. But, this is a beer website, and the topic of this post is about beer -- in a way.

#11 Tdizzle, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  12. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,511) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I call this frat boy / junior high "humor" and I quietly just don't buy their beer.

I suspect any brewery that relies on frat boy / jr hi sexual double entendre has more focus on being "clever" and laughing it up with their buds than they have on their beer.

They can do what they want to market their product, and anyone is free to buy from them. I just choose not to.

BJB13, storm72, Dandrewjohn and 14 others like this.
  13. rozzom

rozzom Champion (835) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I’m going to refrain from giving my opinion, but I’ll say that going this route when opening a brewery in 2019, probably means there’s a severe lack of brain cells at work.

frozyn, DRGood, BJB13 and 30 others like this.
  14. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,740) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Was this posted by a brewery employee or just a random user? If a random user you cannot blame the brewery but if it was an employee then certainly they are using tasteless advertising. Sounds like an immature kid to me and they should realized it does not help sales.

This again is from some immature employee and is indeed in bad taste. If they cannot come up with a better name then that says a lot about them. Sounds like some college kids opening a brewery and thinking dorm talk is cool.

I say vote with your wallet. If your upset over it spend you cash elsewhere. Like another poster mentioned with all we saw this weekend we have so much more to focus on.

Cheers

15. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (276) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Well, its 'murica (look who they last elected)

16. TheIPAHunter

Society Trader

Like a previous member already stated, you have a right to be offended. That's your prerogative. I'd rather focus my energy on finding (and consuming) good beer. :beers:

17. MrDorkLard

MrDorkLard Initiate (80) Mar 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Promoting safe sex shouldn't qualify as edgy or controversial.

18. Tdizzle

That's where I'm coming from, and maybe I should have stated that in my OP: That I'm surprised we're still seeing stuff like this in 2019. I fully realize that -- given the spate of mass shootings over the weekend -- what a new brewery decides to name its beers or what a new brewery decides is appropriate marketing is trivial; but I still thought that this would be an interesting topic for some on this site. I don't want these businesses to close. I don't want their livelihoods impacted. I'm just surprised by it, and I most likely will not be visiting them anytime soon.

#18 Tdizzle, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2019
    champ103, rozzom and mngermanshepherd like this.
  19. Tdizzle

Fair enough.

TheIPAHunter likes this.
  20. Tdizzle

I agree; but it was the phrase "X gon give it to ya" on the condom wrapper that had a very "rape-y" connotation, to me. (Not to mention that it's a bite from a DMX song.)

21. MrDorkLard

MrDorkLard Initiate (80) Mar 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

You're dwelling on all of this way too much.

22. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (959) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Those aren't THE most offensive things I've seen at/about a brewery.
    But then again, even though I'm a grown man with a full set of teeth, I still wish that Ommegang Brewery would simply make a beer called "bang."

Wait for it.
    Yeah, now you get it.
    :wink:

23. TheIPAHunter

Society Trader

Can I get a witness? Good lawwwd! Amen, Hunter.

24. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (276) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

No such thing as "too much" (especially if you're a feminist)

25. rgordon

rgordon Savant (956) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Back in the 90s Rogue sent us boxes of condoms with ROGUE printed prominently on each one. It was tacky at the least.

PapaGoose03, stevepat and Tdizzle like this.
  26. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (686) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

The quality of the beer, and the vibe/atmosphere of the brewery are the most important aspects to me. Beer names at the bottom of the list. It is obnoxious though - going over the top to get attention. Maybe it works, but if the beer is shitty it won't matter.

Thankin_Hank and Tdizzle like this.
  27. rgordon

It's just tacky frat boy shit. And that is not good for a business.

28. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (1,751) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania

These guys are simply trying to be "funny" and to intentionally not be PC. I mean they even have a beer called "Me So Hoppy".

It doesn't bother me too much but at the same time it makes the place come across as a bit trashy.

DBosco, spersichilli and Milktoast75 like this.
  29. rgordon

It doesn't bother me either, but it's like playing with fire. There are all kinds of potential customers, so think completely about marketing ploys. People really are touchy these days and it's easy to understand. Making really good beer usually is a good start.

storm72, russpowell and Tdizzle like this.
  30. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,205) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

That...that isn't what the markets do best.

I don't generally disagree with you, but it's remarkably far from a given truth that markets operate at all in reality like they're taught, in theory.

And for what it's worth, part of markets correcting themselves is consumer voice, not consumer silence. Markets themselves are not silent (marketing, advertising, PR, etc.), they create a conversation, and unless people speak, that conversation is one-sided. People doing is much more impactful than people saying they will do, of course.

sharpski, sjguglielmo, Roguer and 2 others like this.
  31. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Poo-Bah (4,723) Sep 30, 2015 Nevada
    Trader

What's on the craft beer politics white knight o meter today. . .

A rerun.

While I might get ribbed about drinking "fancy beer," the BMC crowd is definitely more fun to socialize and play sports with a beer.

32. shadyside

shadyside Zealot (597) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia
    Society

You can take it as seriously as you want. If it bothers you too much, do not purchase their products or frequent their establishment. If enough people feel the same as you, the business will change their practices or lose money.

Tdizzle likes this.
  33. stevepat

stevepat Defender (690) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

the city is actually still buffering, once it loads fully you'll be able to see the real names of the breweries

DBosco, nesarebad, Chaz and 11 others like this.
  34. Tdizzle

Lol.

DBosco and mngermanshepherd like this.
  35. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,458) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I suppose the question should be asked about whether the 'safeness' can be trusted in those things, considering the source.

DBosco, Tdizzle and mngermanshepherd like this.
  36. mngermanshepherd

mngermanshepherd Aspirant (280) Jun 4, 2018 Minnesota

I understand your point, but communication takes many different forms. Non-verbal can be implemented by the lack of spending toward a particular business, while we have seen the effect of verbal protests, both backfiring on the protestors and negatively toward the business. Yes, markets correcting themselves is a controversial theory that economists still debate, but the basic premise still applies - don't spend, the producer will eventually be forced to withdraw the product to produce an item that sells.

37. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (91) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

Even more egregious is the lame, dated Jersey Shore-referencing beer.

rozzom and Tdizzle like this.
  38. SuperWhip

SuperWhip Initiate (59) Jul 13, 2011 California

Sounds like both can join Black Cock Brewing on my list of places that won't earn my dollar

39. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (380) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

While I entirely agree with you, I must say that a brewery is an odd place to promote it. Not gonna lie, if a local brewery by me was doing this I’d be a bit confused. I don’t think breweries are prime destinations for hookups, at least in my mind.

But either way, safe sex is definitely important, and I suppose what they’re doing it can only be beneficial, even if they are ripping a DMX line verbatim.

Tdizzle and RagingBitch like this.
  40. stevepat

stevepat Defender (690) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Who's got dmx's contact info? We need to get his lawyers on this asap.