Sexual Chocolate Bottle Availibility

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by PackPride, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ewright

ewright Oct 25, 2007 North Carolina

Wonder what that particular TW is doing special in our market. They were the only ones I know of to land any Black Note around here.

2. FUwolfpacker

FUwolfpacker Nov 18, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

For those in the upstate of SC, Crafted - The Beer Store in Simpsonville, SC had a case of SC that went on sell at 5. There was only myself a couple of other guys there at that time, so they may still have some if anyone is interested.

3. EvoJoe

EvoJoe Jan 19, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I've got 1 bottle left from the release

4. Circleo12

Circleo12 Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Greenville Growler station had it on tap today, picked up a growler full. Then, I go to TW in Greenville, and they have it on tap as well! They wanted $10 MORE than Growler station! Jeebus.

chefkevlar likes this.
  5. RedneckBeerz

RedneckBeerz Sep 17, 2011 Massachusetts

Get Growlers if you can (not that there is anything wrong with the Bombers). Here in N.C., growlers can only be LEGALLY filled @ the brewery or the brew pub itself. Cheers

6. brstls4drmrs

brstls4drmrs Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah....but we don't get SexCho growler fills. Surprised to see SC doing this.

7. Circleo12

Beer Trader

Definitely. So what was it, $15 for a 22oz bottle, and I paid $20 for 64oz??

8. brstls4drmrs

Subscriber Beer Trader

Bargain beer for sure.

9. agirlandherpen

agirlandherpen May 26, 2011 South Carolina

Greenville Greens on Congaree has SC on growler station right now...$8.99 for half growler.

10. Circleo12

Beer Trader

Figures, thats where I got my Bell's Sweet Potato Stout last night. Hope that wasn't the one that blew for SC.

11. agirlandherpen

Its not, that is still on.

12. papaholmz

papaholmz Nov 7, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Crafted in Simpsonville, SC had 3 bottles of Sexy Choc left as of 45 minutes ago when I pick up mine.
    Total Wine is very close to being out of Sexy Choc on the growler station; I got probably the last full 64 oz. growler 15 mins ago.

The growler is for this weekend, the bottle is to age in my cellar!

I wish I had have known that Green's had it on the growler station and I would have gone there instead of Total Wine; they are always cheaper than Total Wine.

13. brstls4drmrs

Subscriber Beer Trader

Seriously! I'm bitter I can't get a growler fill of sexcho and you can. :(

14. papaholmz

Beer Trader

I feel your pain.

15. Circleo12

Beer Trader

Picked up another 32oz growler x 2 at Greens in Greenville, $8.99 each. That keg will probably blow today, so get by there if you're still wanting Sexual Chocolate.

agirlandherpen likes this.
  16. papaholmz

Beer Trader

I finished my 64oz growler today; if Green's has anymore left tomorrow I may pick up another 32oz growler.

17. jeffdill

jeffdill Apr 26, 2012 Washington

I'm heading to Charlotte on business tomorrow...is anything left?

18. EvoJoe

Beer Trader

I have 1 bottle of it left from the release. If you bring something out from OH ill do an IP trade with you

19. papaholmz

Beer Trader

Just a quick update for those of you in Upstate, SC... Greenville Growler Station is out, however Green's still has it as I just picked up a 32oz from them for the low low price of $8.99

Green's isn't advertising it in store though, you have to ask for it, and the guy that filled my growler didn't give any indication that it was almost gone.

20. Circleo12

Beer Trader

Luckily, Green's isn't limiting it now, either, so you can get a 64oz one if you want. At least, you could on Sunday. Who knows if they decide to change the rules from day to day.

21. papaholmz

Beer Trader

I was tempted to get a 64oz, but after polishing off a 64oz this weekend, I figured I better take it easy tonight.

22. papaholmz

Beer Trader

I just got an email from Greenville Beer Exchange; they're tapping a barrel of Sexy Choc tomorrow at 5pm. Limit 1 32oz growler per customer. Don't know the price, but thought I'd pass on the info.

23. Circleo12

Beer Trader

Got that as well. Pretty crazy how much of the stuff has been available in our area, considering how much it sucks to go wait in line for the 22oz bottles.

24. EvoJoe

Beer Trader

Especially this year. It was freaking cold out there this year. I'm from NY and lived in MA for a few years and it was cold to me.

25. DiscLizard

DiscLizard Feb 10, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I had no problem getting bottles in Charlotte...
    As I've mentioned before, I work at Duckworth's Ballantyne, and we tapped a 2011 SC keg on Valentine's Day. Despite my best efforts to drink it all, it was still available when I left the bar about an hour ago.

26. brstls4drmrs

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm still in disbelief you all can get a growler of this. I understand the hype is over and such, but the fact that our neighbors down south can get a growler and I can't living 10min from the brewery baffles me.

EvoJoe likes this.
  27. Circleo12

Beer Trader

Can't say I understand it either. It has hit 4 different locations in Upstate S.C. alone this week, for growlers.

28. jpmclaug

jpmclaug Jun 6, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I think it has to do with the different laws and the different styles of beer scenes. In NC there are a lot of good beer bars and those are the places that are getting the kegs. And in NC you can have a pint of beer while shopping, so the beer stores that get kegs are putting it on for people to enjoy there. Finally in NC only breweries can fill growlers.

In SC, there aren't nearly as many good beer bars. However, there are a good number of beer stores that have embraced growler stations. In SC those stores can not sell pints of beer, only give samples, but they can fill growlers. So a lot of the kegs in SC go on growler stations.

Now, I guess Foothills could fill growlers of Sexual Chocolate, but that's something you'd have to take up with them. If they did though I bet it would all sell out on release day.

29. papaholmz

Beer Trader

There haven't been many bottles show up in the upstate though.

30. whitekiboko

whitekiboko Sep 22, 2006 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Did they change things, or is it permissible if they have an on premises license?

31. papaholmz

Beer Trader

It's OK if they have the correct license. The Community Tap near downtown Greenville, SC serves pints for on premesis consumption.

jpmclaug likes this.
  32. Circleo12

Beer Trader

Green's said they're getting bottles in, but most will be sold to those that go to the Stone vs DFH tasting event they're having next month. Other than that, I've only seen bottles at TW in G'ville.

33. papaholmz

Beer Trader

Which I don't understand... it's a Stone vs. DFH event and they're holding on to bottles of Foothills to sell? That makes no sense to me. I may try and go in after the event and see if they have any bottles left.

34. Circleo12

Beer Trader

Good idea, and I think they will. They have 1 case coming, I was told, so we'll see. It is such a terrible buy compared to a growler, but then again, I can't keep my growler full for a year+ to drink later! I still haven't even opened any of my growlers of it, the fridge has 2x 32 oz and 1 64 oz of it sitting there, and I'll be at Brewvival this weekend, so it will sit there even longer.

35. papaholmz

Beer Trader

My growlers are all gone :mad:

agirlandherpen likes this.
  36. agirlandherpen

Actually, Ill be going to that. You get to sample 14 stone/DFH beers, a glass, a growler of whatever beer you want on tap, and first dibs on some rare bottles. $25

37. DiscLizard

DiscLizard Feb 10, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Is there any info posted online about this? I'm interested in making the drive from Charlotte, especially if it falls on my birthday weekend.

38. papaholmz

Beer Trader

Then I may go to this; if nothing else, it would be nice to meet some fellow BAs.

39. ewright

ewright Oct 25, 2007 North Carolina

There's nothing stopping Foothills from filling growlers, but that's another shitshow I'm guessing they'd rather avoid. I hate NC growler laws as much as the next guy, but I don't have time/money/energy to do anything about them. #firstworldproblems :rolleyes:

40. Camel242000

Camel242000 Jul 27, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I think I saw an interview from several years ago where Jamie indicated they didn't do growler fills of Sexual Chocolate because of quality concerns. In essence, when it was first released as a draft only item people wanted to get growlers to ship to others or hold onto for longer periods of time. I think people were even asking about hand bottling and capping Sexual Chocolate to send to people.

Foothills was worried about the growlers/bottles sitting around and aging and not representing the best quality version of the beer. I think it was the next year they started bottling.

It's been awhile, but I think the video is on YouTube somewhere.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe