Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

SF Toronado Barleywine Fest Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by kaseydad, Feb 16, 2013.

1. kaseydad

Beer Trader

Heading there tomorrow. Any surprises? Disappointments? Highlights? Failures?

2. drgarage

If it's still there, get Boneyard Notorious. Ballast Point rum three sheets is a disaster.

flexabull and teamizm like this.
  3. IHyphySF

Beer Trader

Bear Republic - Old Scoutter's 2010 was tasty

4. AndrewK

Second the notorious. My favs were BA old blarney, sucaba, arctic devil, and glacier big woody. You can probably tell I like bals.

5. mikehblack

Beer Trader

Missed out on the Sucaba and Boneyard when I got there around 4:30 but the Heaven Hill Old Blarney and Big Woody were tasty. I love how these events always manage to attract people looking for liquor or "light lagers."

6. teamizm

I really disliked Big Woody this year. In the past its always been one of my favorites but all I got was raisons this time around. Boneyard Notorious blew my mind. Also, can't ever go wrong with Arctic Devil.

flexabull likes this.
  7. kaseydad

Beer Trader

Not sure if it was there yesterday but the Toronado brought out a keg of Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoot today. That was an awesome surprise since most of the special kegs had blown the previous day. No Arctic Devil, Big Woody or Nortorious. Heretic Brewing had a standout in Dead Weight. Really good stuff. Looking forward to next year.

8. AndrewK

Was disappointed that they didn't tap BA Bigfoot from the get-go considering I saw several kegs hanging out in the back room on Saturday, but glad they eventually put them on I guess.

9. UnknownKoger

went on Sunday and was stoked to get some BA Bigfoot. The Green Flash/Cigar City collab was also really interesting. Aged on cedar, and boy could you smell/taste it.

Did anyone else pick up sour flavors from the North Coast Old Stock? Usually it's one of my favorites, but this tasted off

10. teamizm

I tasted the off-flavors as well. Magnolia's Old Thunderpussy tasted a bit off as well. Surprising since it had to travel maybe half a mile to Toronado.

11. UnknownKoger

went to Magnolia afterwards and ordered their Strong Beer Flight. Holy shit. That is not a flight. It's a monster. Delicious beers though. The Wee Heavy, Old Thunderpussy (both regular and on cask) were really good.

Also their burger was amazing

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe