Share your Holiday Packs (2021)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BigIronH, Nov 6, 2021.

1. BigIronH

BigIronH Savant (956) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

It’s that time of year. Bells, Rochester Mills, Perrin, Shorts, and many other Michigan Breweries have released their Holiday samplers. I’m sure that hundreds(thousands?) of breweries across the country are doing the same right about now, many of them distributed locally only. I’m interested to hear about your specialty Holiday Packs. Share the Christmas goodness your local breweries are bringing to you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Devotee (457) Nov 28, 2016 New York

the bells one is just holiday packaging on a perennial mixed pack lol. Two Hearted (almost said Sculpin) is an obvious inclusion but how about throwing in their porter and maybe one of their sought after stouts.

Genuine, fehrminator, Rug and 7 others like this.
  3. BigIronH

Society Trader

I’m well aware. They have another one that’s a bit more Holiday oriented http://www.bellsbeer.com/beer/specialty/jingle-bells. I feel like a lot of breweries make their Holiday Packs up of seasonal favorites. Are you seeing anything in New York yet?

4. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Devotee (457) Nov 28, 2016 New York

Saranac is the usual suspect for Mixed packs, nothing yet on a Winter Pack. Other than that sometimes the more local breweries put a pack together for a deal.

jonphisher and BigIronH like this.
  5. BigIronH

Society Trader

I haven’t seen anything from any of my home town breweries yet, and I’m not sure that I will. It actually seems like most of the Holiday packs I come across are from medium to large size breweries. Now that you mention it, most of the smaller breweries around me seem to carry on business as usual, save for a holiday inspired brew or two. Cheers.

6. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (893) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Troegs should have one. Last year there was 2 cans of Mad Elf included. Bought it just to try that version again and both are still in my fridge. Maybe this year.

Enjoy

Rug and BigIronH like this.
  7. BigIronH

Society Trader

Do you have any brewery only or very limited distro breweries in your area that produce Holiday packs? @AccipiterofBeer has me thinking about this now.

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Bell's also announced yesterday on social media that they'll have an Advent Calendar case of beer. Here's the post from Facebook:

Friday, November 19th marks the return of our #BellsAdventCalendar! Get ready to celebrate the holidays with 24 delicious Bell's beers.
    Available in-store only // very limited availability
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Giantspace

Not that I know of. I don’t look for these things. Bought the Troegs because I read about the Mad Elf in the pack. Going to guess the smaller places just do limited releases and not holiday packs.

Enjoy

BigIronH likes this.
  10. BigIronH

Society Trader

Definitely ISO this one. Has this been done before?

11. PapaGoose03

Society

I think they did it last year too but I can't find anything about it.

Junior and BigIronH like this.
  12. jonphisher

jonphisher Defender (672) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I saw several today while beer shopping, I think it was clown shoes that had a 12 beer mixed pack. A couple others too I just forget the breweries.

dcotom, Bitterbill and BigIronH like this.
  13. Spade

Spade Initiate (127) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Oh yeah, that one also had Blizzard of Hops and Grand Cacao.Pretty good selection. Bought a pack in early December, then my wife gave me one for Christmas.

jonphisher and BigIronH like this.
  14. JBogan

JBogan Champion (883) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

Don't know if this is considered a "holiday pack", but a few days ago a new Chimay variety pack showed up at Total Wine. It consists of 5 different beers, the gold, red, white, blue, and the new green labels, making up a 12 bottle total.

They're asking $70 for it (about $6 a bottle), so not sure how many they'll sell, but anyone looking to try various styles of a well made Belgian beer could do worse than to give this a try.

15. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,076) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

So have done the Costco Advent, and the Aldis and said I am done with that. I noticed that a local brewery (Southern Star in Conroe TX) did a 12 days of Krampus mix pack. After looking at the beers in the pack https://www.instagram.com/p/CVijYXypXXP/ I said to myself I need to find this. So I started search for it over the past week. Finally got my hands on it today, so that with the Clown Shoes will be my advent Calendar. So I am stoked.

16. BigIronH

Society Trader

That looks really good and I dig the theme too. I’ll make a point to try their stuff at some point. The guy in the video seems like a neat dude as well.

17. Junior

Junior Champion (822) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Bell's did do one last year. Pretty sure it was primarily a mix of their shelf beers with a few others (but nothing special).

PapaGoose03 and BigIronH like this.
  18. Junior

Junior Champion (822) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

St. Bernardus had a pretty nice holiday pack last year. It came with the 6, 8 and 12 and a chalice. Big fan of the 12. I use the chalice quite a bit now too.

19. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,076) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

They are not one of the breweries that I buy a lot of their beer, but yes they are a pretty chill group, have a nice taproom and a good following. They have done some great one offs but have never been a fan of most of their mainstream offerings. That said will have to throw them some more love this year if this 12pack pans out.

BigIronH likes this.
  20. Patrick_OKC

Patrick_OKC Aspirant (244) Apr 26, 2017 Texas
    Society

When I return home to Texas from Utah (commuting), I will run to the local TW and get this.
    Pat

BigIronH, JBogan and jonphisher like this.
  21. Patrick_OKC

Patrick_OKC Aspirant (244) Apr 26, 2017 Texas
    Society

Last year I bought 3 cases of St. B christmas ale when it showed up at TW. I love their chalice.
    Pat

22. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,905) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Left hand has a mixed 12 of milk stouts, Mexican chocolate and double intrigue me, but mint is a hard pass... I'm still thinking about it.

Bitterbill, jonphisher, Rug and 2 others like this.
  23. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,823) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

They had a bunch of holiday packs in a new floor display at the grocery store this afternoon, among them the "24 Beers of Cheer" pack from the fine folks at AB. Just in time for Festivus. Let the airing of grievances begin!
    [​IMG]

Jaycase, PapaGoose03 and BigIronH like this.
  24. pudgym29

pudgym29 Initiate (151) Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

Last year's Goose Island Christmas IPA got a massive thumbs down reaction when consumed blind on John Holl's & Augie Carton's Steal This Beer podcast. They loathed it. YMMV, but I surmise it is the same recipe.
    I did not glimpse this thread before posting in another thread (I searched this rubric for "Aldi".). I will post a link to that thread when I reply as to what the Aldi Advent case contained. :beers:

PapaGoose03 and BigIronH like this.
  25. BigIronH

Society Trader

I had it last year and it disgusted me as well. However, looking at the pack @dcotom posted above, I do see a couple things I have liked and a couple I have not had.

Bitterbill likes this.
  26. BigIronH

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Yes Please. I know they did this last year but I couldn’t turn up results for what was in the box. Does anyone have info on the contents of the 2020 box? A quick google and BA forum search left me empty handed. Cheers.

27. Giantspace

The split shot is pretty nice, or at least it used to be. The apricot sour I would try if I saw a single.

Enjoy

dcotom likes this.
  28. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,133) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I’m all in favor of everyone who gets one of these holiday variety packs sharing photos and tasting notes!

29. Rug

Rug Meyvn (1,354) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Damn, really wishing I lived in MI right about now :cry: That sounds like an incredible box

30. BigIronH

Society Trader

I’ll do so when I pick up mine. I have quite a wishlist at this point. :wink:

o29 likes this.
  31. BigIronH

Society Trader

It does sound killer. I’m about 3 hours away but I’m gonna try to get one.

32. PapaGoose03

Society

Gonna' blow your 2022 beer budget before the year even starts? :wink:

33. BigIronH

Society Trader

I’ll definitely be stocked going into January to put it mildly.

34. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,454) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Good luck. Get one so we can enjoy vicariously. Cheers!

35. BigIronH

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Okay. My first Holiday Pack has landed, unbeknownst to me as the wife was out shopping today while I was at work. Who doesn’t love to come home to a beer fridge full of beer? Is there anything that could put you into the Christmas spirit faster? This is the second(?) rendition of Bell's “Jingle Bells” pack. The first of which is the one I posted in the OP, which basically consists of a bunch of year-round shelfies. The one I ended up with, is a bit more Holiday geared.

Now, on to the first beer; Bright White. Which I have never tried before and honestly, I’m quite pleased.

Pours a cloudy gold, a couple fingers of white foam reducing to a nice cap that maintains the length of the glass. Plenty of sudsy lacing left behind.

Aroma is funk on the front followed by honey, citrus, and sweet malt.

Taste follows suit but the honey hits hard up front along with sweet bread/malt. Finishing tart citrus with a good bit of funk coming through on the aftertaste.

Feel is full and velvety but with a decent carbonation crispiness on the finish.

I dig this one boys. 4/5

Cheers all and I look forward to reading your Holiday Pack notes.

jkblr, Bitterbill, JMN44 and 9 others like this.
  36. b9d9

b9d9 Initiate (59) Nov 9, 2020 Germany

My x-mas calendar from beerrepublic arrived today. I have a very limited knowledge of US beers and styles so I thought it was a good idea to buy this.

Advent Styles
    The styles represented in the Advent Calendar 2021 are subject to change.

American IPA
    American Pale Ale
    Blonde
    Brown Ale
    Fruited Sour
    Imperial Stout
    Lager
    New England IPA
    Red Ale
    Red IPA
    Saison
    Session IPA
    Specialty
    Tripel

Advent Breweries
    The breweries represented in the Advent Calendar 2021 are subject to change and a final selection out of these is made while the list can grow or slink.

21st Amendment
    Avery
    Bear Republic
    Bells
    Blue Moon
    Cigar City
    Collective Arts
    Deep Ellum
    Deschutes
    Dogfish Head
    Figuroa Mountain
    Founders
    Harpoon
    M.I.A.
    Mike Hess
    Nebraska
    New Belgium
    Oskar Blues
    Proof
    Saint Archer
    Santa Monica
    Societe
    Stone
    Topa Topa

[​IMG]

I like the idea of a beer calendar but there is a lot of trash out there. I "knew" some of the breweries before and checked the others here on BA. Really looking forward to this!

You'll laugh but I will use it as what it is and I will not open this calendar just to see whose and which beers finally made it into the box.
    This is more like a tasting box to me and I want to drink all these beers with a clean palate, so 1 new beer (surprise) per day is just perfect imo!
    Downside: Aging and it's hard to judge if 10-12 C°/ ~F°50-54 in my cellar is cold enough for a proper storing of unknown beers and styles.

What do you think? Is it foolish to do it this way? I know it would be better to put all of them directly into my fridge and don't care about anything else.

Prost!

jkblr, Reef, Bitterbill and 10 others like this.
  37. PapaGoose03

Society

You can reveal the daily selection in the morning after dreaming about the surprise all night (:wink:), and once known, you can decide if it needs to go into the fridge before drinking it. The downside is if you want to drink it for breakfast. :stuck_out_tongue:

BigIronH, o29, riptorn and 2 others like this.
  38. b9d9

b9d9 Initiate (59) Nov 9, 2020 Germany

Hey @PapaGoose03,

I'll do that anyway! I'm just wondering if some of these beers would take some damage for the time of being stored in my cellar. Worst case would be an IPA behind door 24. That's roughly 6 weeks from now..

Prost!

Rug, BigIronH, Junior and 1 other person like this.
  39. PapaGoose03

Society

Hopefully the placement in the box considered the refrigeration by style, but that's something you'll have to accept unless you cheat and peek at them all. Good luck, and Happy Holidays. :slight_smile:

BigIronH and b9d9 like this.
  40. BigIronH

Society Trader

Seems like a solid selection of breweries. I look forward to reading some tasting notes regarding the new to you beers. Cheers

Rug, b9d9 and PapaGoose03 like this.