Sharing Your Beer & Food Pairings #2

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BalancingBrooms, Nov 29, 2016.

1. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Devotee (406) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

love the simplicity

VABA likes this.
  2. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,249) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

On the plate: pineapple tangerine svotch bonnet NEIPA fried wings, Spiced Brett Belgian Golden rice, sour date dubbel Kimchi.
    In the Glass: NEIPA.
    [​IMG]
    Damn. Just damn.

3. jbakajust1

Premium

On the plate: lemon caper Rock Fish, fried polenta, Irish Salt Potatoes with Butter.
    In the Glass: read the label
    Not exactly the best pairing, but damn it is all good on its own. Fish would be better with a Saison or Wit.
    [​IMG]

4. jbakajust1

Premium

On the Plate: Arugala, Kale, Broccoli, Radiccio, Sunflower Seeds, Almonds, White Balsamic dressing, Red Pears, Sharp Cheddar, Humboldt Fog.
    In the Glass: Strong spiced Saison. Cultured a wild Sacc strain(s) and Brett strain(s) from Nectarine Blossoms last Spring, Spiced with pepper, cardamom, grains of paradise, and ginger, fermented 5 weeks. Bone dry, spicy, nectarines, funk.
    Really nice pairing. Spritzy and light, funk on both sides.
    [​IMG]

5. BalancingBrooms

damn...

6. jbakajust1

Premium

Keeping it low carb tonight. Burger on Napa Cabbage with Blue Cheese dressing, Arugala, Balsamic Glaze, baked Jicama chips, black eyed peas with fire roasted tomatoes.
    In the Glass: ColdFire Cumulus.
    [​IMG]

7. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,442) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I'm sorry I didn't take a photo, but Founders Backwoods Bastards pairs really well with honey roasted peanuts. I wanted a light snack that would pair really well with a big bourbon barrel aged beer. I know strong, savory foods like blue cheese or prosciutto are recommended, but sometimes you want something less intense than that. Turns out that peanuts pair really well with the big boozy beers. They're light and tasty and yet they didn't feel overpowered by the huge beer.

8. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (159) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Gull Mack and pulled duck

[​IMG]

mickyge, TheDoctor, Half-full and 5 others like this.
  9. Shanex

Shanex Champion (840) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Trader

Turkey escalopes and smashed potatoes with mushrooms sauce paired with Duvel and an extra botlle of Rosé de Provence.

[​IMG]

10. glass_house

glass_house Zealot (562) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio

Fresh no bake cookies and Pirate Bomb[​IMG]

11. Shanex

Shanex Champion (840) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Trader

@utopiajane your presence in this thread is requested. :wink:

12. BalancingBrooms

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chargrilled oysters and Clown Shoes Galactica

13. Half-full

Half-full Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2018 Illinois

Alaskan Amber
    [​IMG]
    With chili and cornbread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PatrickCT, Greywulfken, Lahey and 7 others like this.
  14. Half-full

The natural progression for the day after chili, is chili cheese dogs, paired with Founders Solid Gold Lager.
    [​IMG]

15. BalancingBrooms

[​IMG]
    On the platter: Crawfish
    In the glass: Bayou Teche Saison D'ecrevisses

mudbug, PatrickCT, mickyge and 9 others like this.
  16. Half-full

No picture today. Brats, parboiled in Metropolitan Iron Works Altbier, onions, & Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, then finished on the grill. Toppings, just diced onions and yellow mustard. Paired with Metropolitan Iron Works Alt, of course.

17. Half-full

Big Grove Boom Town Cream Ale with a Loaded Philly. For dessert, bread pudding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Half-full

1" thick Iowa Chops, baked potato, green beans, and Goose 312 Urban Wheat.
    [​IMG]

19. Half-full

Meatballs, mashed potatoes, and green beans paired with Brooklyn Sorachi Ace.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Latverian43

Latverian43 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2018 Kentucky

The tried and true Guinness with chicken wings never disappoints

HorseheadsHophead and Half-full like this.
  21. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (1,923) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Premium Trader

I got nothing, but WOW, that looks good! Please let me know when you are interviewing new friends.

22. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,702) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

Looks awesome!

Half-full and Shanex like this.
  23. TheDoctor

Trader

So there is a Pho place that just opened near my place and so I had to try it. I figured a wheat beer might be a good match and it ended up being a textbook good pairing (to me at least).
    [​IMG]
    Just the aroma of the soup brings out phenolic character in the beer both in flavor and aroma. The soft and slightly fruity beer really cleanses the mouth nicely and didn't even clash with the strong basil flavor of certain bites. Really just about a perfect pairing. Crisp for the salty broth.
    Rich and hoppy with the meat.
    Fruity and spicy with the anise flavors of the soup.
    Absolutely recommended and I will certainly have it again!

24. Latverian43

Latverian43 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2018 Kentucky

Shepards Pie and Guinness

PatrickCT and Half-full like this.
  25. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,918) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

A rare day working from home so I decided to make a meat and cheese plate from whatever I had in the fridge.

Beer: Von Trapp Bock Bier
    Food: Rye crackers, pepper jack cheese, whole grain mustard, spicy brown mustard, Gruyère cheese, hummus, cornichons, and brown sugar ham.

The beer and Gruyère would have been a good enough pairing on its own but it was delicious with everything else on the plate as well. Cheers!

[​IMG]

26. TheDoctor

Trader

A couple meals over a couple days with a couple beers.

The first was "Asian Glazed" pork tenderloin, potatoes and asparagus with Orval.
    [​IMG]
    In my book Orval is about as close to a universal pairing beer as there is. It did well here, too. With the food (especially the meat) it tasted a little more leathery/earthy. Nice bite for the spiciness. Something like a saison or a pilsner would maybe have been better for my tastes, but it was still a damn tasty meal.

The second was a melt and homefries nubs with the leftovers and a California Common I recently brewed. It was the first beer I've made that surpassed what I would call "good". It was a great pairing as well. I'm a big fan of pub-y meals like this with moderately malt beers, so it was made to be.
    [​IMG]

Santé!

27. not2quick

not2quick Aspirant (298) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Looks like the share your pairing forum was eliminated. Perhaps we can keep it going in its own thread in Beer talk.

I'm doing a low carb diet. I was craving some fried fish so decided to do some pork rind encrusted flathead catfish nuggets. Caught on a limb line at mark twain. 40lb'r! Paired with bacon fat/vinegar braised greens (collard and kale) washed it down with Static electricity DIPA from perennial.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

28. TheDoctor

Trader

#188 TheDoctor, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  29. not2quick

not2quick Aspirant (298) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Hoping a mod could move my post to the share your pairing thread. Then they can close this one.

dcotom likes this.
  30. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (35) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

Report it and request it that way

not2quick likes this.
  31. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,987) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

I think you've won this thread already. I'll post my English pale and aged cheddar some other time.
    :wink:

not2quick and Shanex like this.
  32. TheDoctor

Trader

When pairing delicious food and delicious beer, everyone wins:sunglasses::nerd::beers:

not2quick, Shanex, SLeffler27 and 2 others like this.
  33. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (361) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Having 2015 bells third coast old ale with a sandwich cookie. Two oatmeal raisin cookies with maple creme in the middle. Great pairing for the beer.

34. BalancingBrooms

35. reowin

reowin Initiate (26) Nov 24, 2017 Tennessee

i love this thread dont let it get lost

36. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,208) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

I'm gonna play some catch up here, with some recent pairings of note...
    [​IMG]
    Football snacking: Prosciutto, pastrami-style salmon, and a peppercorn mousse on water crackers paired with some Double Daisy Cutter DIPA...
    [​IMG]
    Something of a no-brainer, as its hard to go wrong with smoked fish and cured meats and most any kind of hoppy pale ale... Water crackers provide some textural contrast, while the salty meat and fish get to shine... The mousse is appropriately spicy, featuring pork, turkey liver and chicken liver; the body is creamy and light, and seasoned just right...

Checked out Kwak, in its proprietary glass and stand...
    [​IMG]
    Heartier, sweeter, and richer than I'd expected; reminded me of some of those Christmas-type ales, or maybe Piraat; went well with this burger and fries...
    [​IMG]
    That's a medium-rare burger with fourme d'ambert cheese, double smoked bacon, beefsteak tomato, arugula, and a cognac dijonnaise... Everything about this burger was perfect - the cheese is a type of blue that isn't particularly tart at all - in fact it had an almost pesto-like character on the burger... And bacon to boot? Perfection...

Slaw and fries for good measure... :wink:

And how about a pot of mussels?
    [​IMG]
    Mussels cooked with vine ripened tomatoes, fresh herbs, and white wine...
    [​IMG]
    Beer was the restaurant's proprietary Belgian tripel, a clean-finishing but fruity brew, not too sweet, not too bitter - reasonably crisp for the style, and great with the mussels...
    [​IMG]
    The mussels were perfect - I ate the whole pot by myself - the meat was tender, impeccably complemented by the broth, and a natural compliment to the beer...

Them Belgians know their stuff...

Here's to food on your plate and beer in your glass, cheers...

37. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (361) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Last night I had chocolate covered banana chips with New Hollands Dragons milk bba imp stout with banana and coconut flavor. Perfect pairing, satiated all of my chocolate banana cravings.

38. TheDoctor

Trader

God that all looks delicious!!!

39. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Aspirant (268) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

This was pretty good
    [​IMG]
    So was this
    [​IMG]
    And all this other shit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Come to think of it i'd lose so much weight if i stopped drinking for awhile. Maybe I wouldn't need to buy new pants for fall

40. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (274) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Hate to be that guy, but I don't think it's the beer. I see a lot of fried/oily foods in those pics.