Sharing Your Beer & Food Pairings #3

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 7irondave, Jan 13, 2019.

1. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (515) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Let's see what everyone has been doing with beer.

Started this in the morning in the crock pot and it was ready for halftime

[​IMG]
    Jackie O's Oro Negro turned out to be the perfect beer to make chili with. I was a little concerned with the bourbon barrel but there's just so many spices in chili, the bourbon was merely an afterthought.

As good as the chili was, sometimes a good bread bowl makes all the difference

Cheers,
    Dave

2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,942) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Love the presentation, that really looks good. I’ll keep that in mind next time I make chili.

dcotom and 7irondave like this.
  3. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,008) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

I made Choucroute Garni and had it with a 2011 Old Stock.
    Home fermented sauerkraut, smoked pork neck, bratwurst, cured pork belly, bacon, saffron potatoes, shallots and carrots. Of course I had a Riesling on the side. Otherwise it would just be obscene.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers.

4. MyBar

MyBar Initiate (56) Jan 7, 2019 California

This is exactly the type of thread I was looking for! I love planning my meals around my beer/wine selection and there seem to be some good sources of inspiration here! Keep em coming!!!!

5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,274) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

From a while back, but still a classic: Mongolian beef and sushi, paired with Stillwater Extra Dry Sake Style Saison. (Disclaimer: Food not made by me. :wink:)

[​IMG]

beergoot, Scrapss, meefmoff and 20 others like this.
  6. 7irondave

Trader

Beelzebub beef stew

[​IMG]

I would categorize Beelzebub as a black IPA instead of a stout but it's great in beef stew! A nice rich meal after shoveling/snow blowing and a good choice for Championship sunday.

Go Pats!

Cheers,
    Dave

7. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,008) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Nice stew!

GreenBayBA and 7irondave like this.
  8. Pstone530

Pstone530 Initiate (61) Mar 15, 2018 California
    Trader

[​IMG]

A Beautiful Saison from Urban Roots In Sacramento.
    I get hints of Clove, cinnamon, spiced peaches

The sushi roll has Eel and Yellowtail, from our neighborhood favorite Izikaya Ichiban

beergoot, Scrapss, Glider and 14 others like this.
  9. not2quick

not2quick Aspirant (231) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Hopslam fondue[​IMG][​IMG]

10. not2quick

Trader

[​IMG] Probably stick with a lager next time. NEIPA just didn't mesh well with these bivalves

11. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (157) Feb 13, 2018 New York

That looks amazing. Could not imagine necking back an Old Stock with it, but damn your dinner looks fine.

rozzom and PatrickCT like this.
  12. not2quick

Trader

[​IMG]

Cowboy cut ribeye with a crisp pilsner.

13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,942) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Late to this party but the only food I ever pair with beer on purpose is Mexican. A nice Modelo with enchiladas is outstanding. From there I’m thinking wine or Prosecco.

14. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,132) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

NICU, a Phish themed beer ... that's pretty cool !

15. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,227) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois

[​IMG]
    Steins Deli - Old Fart: Beef tongue, liver, and onions.
    Equilibrium: A New Level of Science and Flower

beergoot, PatrickCT, Glider and 4 others like this.
  16. mkh012

mkh012 Crusader (703) May 7, 2015 Colorado

Not the best picture, I know, but more of a general post about how amazing citrusy beers and Indian food are together. This particular pairing is fresh MBC Another One and my favorite Indian spot's chicken tikka masala over rice. Kane Sneakbox is my local go-to with Indian food.

[​IMG]

beergoot, Glider, meefmoff and 4 others like this.
  17. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (783) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

that sandwich sounds amazing.

18. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,669) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

On Saturday I treated myself to a Drie Fontenien Oude Gueuze with a pate forester (wild mushrooms/wine) and a nice cheese plate, taleggio, and three year aged Gouda. What a combo! Love the sharp acidity and carbonation scrubbing the palate clean.

beergoot, Glider, dcotom and 7 others like this.
  19. 7irondave

Trader

[​IMG]

Fudge Bucket frappe to wash down a bacon cheddar burger (about 3 pieces ocrumbled bacon went into each burger) and potato salad (ma's recipe)
    [​IMG]

Happy birthday USA!

20. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Breakfast this morning consisted of a Quiche Lorraine paired with Bell's Amber ale that brings some touches of toasted caramel malt sweetness balanced with some herbal and citric character and adds a light clean bitterness in the ending.

21. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,003) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Why not? One of my faves is a Waldos' and traditional Middle Eastern fare (lamb on hummus, full garlic pita, etc)...
    [​IMG]

22. dcotom

Society Trader

This Chicago dog from Portillo's made a perfect pairing with Zombie Dust (plastic motel drinkware notwithstanding :wink:).

[​IMG]

beergoot, TheDoctor, Scrapss and 8 others like this.
  23. Bag2289

Bag2289 Initiate (15) Jul 26, 2019 Texas

Super generic combo, but dang near any Tripel or Dubbel works really well with pizza to me. I get really full pretty fast because it's basically yeast on yeast, but the sweetness of the Tripels washing down the saltiness of the pizza great. Discovered the combo at BJ's with a Devil's Backbone. When they stopped carrying Devils Backbone, I switched to Gulden Draak. I personally think it works better with pizza. But as a stand alone Tripel, I'll reach for Devil's Backbone everytime.

24. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (493) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Going to give a few, some of which people probably do the same and are by no means phantasmagoric. That said, I find it funny that I have these because they are the exception, not the rule. Per the “does anyone else not like drinking beer with food” thread, I typically think food detracts and changes the flavor enough that I usually eat and then drink, not together. Here are the exceptions:

• Pizza: Always drink a good dunkel (although my favorite pairing is Scafley Scotch ale, which is not a dunkel, but very malty still). I enjoy the combo so much that every time I have a pizza, It’s like “give me dunkel, or give me something else to eat.”
    • Indian: enjoy a good (NE style( IPA. It just works for me. I prefer the cream based Indian dishes, and while I do not think that they are particularly heavy, I think that the IPA is probably “cutting” it very well.
    • Cheese/meat and cheese/cheese and crackers: Really enjoy a good saison with this. It works well, just like you would expect from wine.
    • Gumbo: really enjoy a good, simple Amber or something similar. I tend to specifically lean toward Abita Amber it Abita Purple Haze for Gumbo.
    • Bratwurst in a mustard and onion “gravy” over rice: This is a German brasserie inspired Louisiana dish. Use Amber for the sauce per a Louisiana chef. Works the best. Usually pair it with the same as gumbo above, or perhaps a bock (preference for Abita Andygator or Mardi Gras Bock).
    Note that these Abita beers are not my favorite for the style, but they are my favorite for these dishes.

While it is not a true pairing, I find that Barleywines do tend to pair well with Steak.

25. dcotom

Society Trader

I'm starting to warm up to the notion that a farmhouse ale or a grisette works well with just about anything. I wish I could find more grisettes. :slight_frown:

26. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (405) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Never though of that, but I could get behind this opinion.

dcotom likes this.
  27. loebrygg

loebrygg Aspirant (227) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Steamer n' prime ribeye

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

beergoot, TheDoctor, Scrapss and 9 others like this.
  28. loebrygg

loebrygg Aspirant (227) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Saison n' Chicken dinner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jvgoor3786, dcotom, Scrapss and 5 others like this.
  29. reowin

reowin Initiate (29) Nov 24, 2017 Tennessee

looks so good

30. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,227) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois

[​IMG]
    little snack on my day off

31. 7irondave

Trader

:heavymetal:

BalancingBrooms likes this.
  32. reowin

reowin Initiate (29) Nov 24, 2017 Tennessee

love seeing this stuff wish it can keep going

bl00 and 7irondave like this.
  33. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,098) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Peas. I love peas...and lamb...

Have you been to Jake & Telly's and tried their lamb shank??? Outstanding stuff...ώπα!!