Sharing Your Pairing #2

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by BalancingBrooms, Nov 29, 2016.

1. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (159) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

2. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,246) Jun 11, 2013 New York

lovely =)

Jacobob10 likes this.
  3. utopiajane

I like Belgians with fresh oranges and I am doing fruit with beer today too =)

TheDoctor likes this.
  4. utopiajane

yummy!

5. utopiajane

Pear Galette with Spent Grain Crust and Peak Organic Nut Brown Ale

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. utopiajane

Cheers you all! Fried fish with Marjoram and Resurgence IPA - I used a pinch of my spent grain flour that I made to batter this fish and let me tell you the flavor is outstanding. The crystal 15 is delicious if not dark as flour and I thought this came out tasting and looking like beer battered fish . I used only a mere tablespoon of oil. I paired the beer with fried fish and bell pepper salsa. A touch sweet in the finish I thought this beer would be the perfect compliment to the green pepper. Imo the green pepper is especially hard to pair with beer. The reason I think that is because it is neither sweet nor bitter but leaning towards bitter. The sweet finish of this IPA and the absence of any slick or oily feeling is the exact reason it will pair well with the green pepper.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

aoampm, BalancingBrooms and TheDoctor like this.
  7. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,056) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

First pour of my new NE IPA. Lots of fruit, light dankness and pine, juicy, soft with a slightly rough bitterness in the end (Columbus). I'm really digging it except for the touch of tartness in the end from the acid malt, going to nix that on the next batch.
    Paired with Brown Ale Risotto topped with carrots, steak, and chili beans.
    Was going lighter on the flavors for the dish to keep my palate prepped for the bottle share after dinner. Would've been a much better pairing had I added some heat to the beans to play off the IPA.
    [​IMG]

utopiajane likes this.
  8. jbakajust1

Subscriber

On the Plate: Grilled steak with a cucumber salsa, baked potato with sour cream, and Saison garlic asparagus.
    Paired with: Block 15 Sticky Hands, of course!

Cucumber salsa is light and refreshing with the jalapeno lending heat to the bite. The IPA cuts the heat and the lime juice in the salsa pairs well with the juicy citrus of the beer. Carbonation and bitterness helps break up the heaviness of the potato, and the smoothness of the potato and smooth mouth-feel of the beer work well together. Asparagus were over cooked and slightly mushy:(

[​IMG]

utopiajane likes this.
  9. utopiajane

@smakawhat does it so I am going to do it too. Here instead of there. This me talking instead of writing. Yesterday I made lasagna bolognese . I paired it with the pilsner but meh. I say meh because I mean it. Here is the same dish almost; with victory's bier brut.

[​IMG]

#89 utopiajane, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  10. utopiajane

I can't see the photo but it sounds good. The cucumber is a good thing and I like it. Did you know that Julia Child or some french chef will braise cucumbers. :D

TheDoctor and Barracudas like this.
  11. jbakajust1

Subscriber

Huh, not sure why you can't see the pic? I checked from another browser that doesn't have my google logged in to see if it had to do with my Google Photo settings and I can still see it.

It's an easy salsa: cucumber, cilantro, shallots, jalapeno, and lime juice, touch of salt.

Never tried braised cucumber.

TheDoctor and utopiajane like this.
  12. utopiajane

Gaffel Kolsch with Potato salad with Dill
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

aoampm, TheDoctor and BalancingBrooms like this.
  13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Meyvn (1,307) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

So here is another seemingly random tasting of some cheese I had laying around and beers within more or less the same style.

I had a soft, funky goat cheese, a goat tomme, and a three-year-old cheddar. I paired these over the course of a few weeks with different hoppy beers (mainly IPAs and IIPAs). Here are my notes and some pictures.

[​IMG]
    This was a "Bavarian IIPA" brewed with new-German varieties. The beer was kind of fruity in a strange way. Grapes and floral bittersweet flavors/aromas.

Tomme:
    Brought out a little more bite to the beer, creamy and tangy and soft and fatty. Beer brought out a little funkiness in the cheese. Not quite big enough to stand up to it though. Good either way.

Goat:
    Brought out fruitiness a little more. Most enjoyable after the beer. Earthy as it melts and spreads to replace the beer as the main flavor on your radar. It made the beer almost off-puttingly floral I thought.

Cheddar:
    Beer became much more earthy, dank hop bitterness scrubbed the sharpness of the cheese. Best one all around with this beer. Really took the beer to another level the cheese tasted a lot sweeter and almost nutty after the beer.

[​IMG]
    English pale ale with Kent Holding hops earthy and mellow woodsy/earthy hop presence, malt body.

Tome:
    Floral hops and crackery malt come out more in the beer, and the creaminess of the cheese seems to be boosted a little as well.

Goat:
    Beer a little more bitter. Brings out more of the hops. good all-around but beer not quite enough to cut through this one (creamiest and goatiest).

Cheddar:
    A little too big for the beer. The cheese was fine with it but it made the beer pretty hollow and seltzery tasting after.

[​IMG]
    Fruity Citra NEIPA, like drinking tropical/grapefruit juice.

Cheddar:
    Cheese nice and mellow after the beer. More floral flavors in the beer after the cheese.

Goat:
    Funk in the cheese and lots of mellow peach and slight alcohol made more apparent in the beer. Not super good.

Tomme:
    The winner, most definitely. Cheese falls in behind the sweetness of the beer. Creamy and the beers is able to feel sweet and creamy too.

[​IMG]
    Big, boozy IIPA that tastes like bitter candied oranges. Like drinking citrus rind liqueur

Goat:
    Really good, surprisingly enough. Creamy, sticky, nutty, funky and salty it covers the beer's bitterness. Beer is fruitier and smoother after. You can kind of feel the flavors fighting but it ends up good.

Tomme:
    Earthy spice from the beer. Cheese mellows out the bitterness.

Cheddar:
    Absolutely perfect bright cheddar taste kind of nutty and tangy after the beer. Brings out candied orange sweetness I'm the beer and some crusty malt.

So in conclusion, as in my last effort at doing this (with only "NE-IPAs") buying a Tomme is a solid bet for pairing with anything that isn't too aggressively hoppy, as it is mellow enough flavor-wise to not overwhelm the beer. For anything more boozy/bitter, a stronger cheese can do a better job but it is a fine balance. The soft goat cheese got really stanky and it just got better and better, but with sweet beers it was not a pleasant experience. Anyway, enough of my cheese-themed rambling.

¡Buen provecho!

14. jbakajust1

Subscriber

On the Plate: Teriyaki Chicken, Saison Jasmine Rice with Siracha and Chocolate Brett Porter Teriyaki sauce, Brett IPA Kimchi
    In the Glass: Saison finished with Orval Brett.
    [​IMG]
    The spicy pepper and ginger phenols in the Saison played well with the ginger and garlic in the all three. Bone dry beer cleansed the palate for each new bite.

utopiajane and TheDoctor like this.
  15. TheDoctor

Beer Trader

They only show up for me when I am on mobile as well. It has started happening a lot in the other picture-heavy threads. On my laptop it looks like an error in both Firefox and Chrome. But on mobile it looks fine. I assume it is due to the image host but I don't know.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  16. TheDoctor

Beer Trader

And here I thought roasted radishes seemed a little crazy. I can't really imagine that...o_O

17. jbakajust1

Subscriber

On the plate: Pork chops with a shallot, garlic, pork drippings, and Saison reduction, brown ale risotto, and Saison Purple Broccoli Rab.
    In the Glass: Flat Cherry Adam from the Wood
    [​IMG]
    I should have paired something different with this meal. It wasn't unpleasant, just, risotto and the reduction were rich enough on there own that the beer was just too heavy. Maybe if HotD could get the damn beers carbonated it would have been better. Took me most of the night to nurse that beer. Should have paired it with my Saison or NE IPA to have something to cut through the richness.

TheDoctor likes this.
  18. jbakajust1

Subscriber

In the Bowl: Roasted Chicken, Broccoli, and spaghetti noodles in a Saison Alfredo sauce.
    In the Glass: NE IPA with Citra, Simcoe, and Columbus.
    The bitterness and carbonation cut through the rich sauce. The pairing isn't over top exciting, but they go good together. Would be good with the Saison from the sauce as well.
    [​IMG]

TheDoctor and loebrygg like this.
  19. jbakajust1

Subscriber

Sorry for the fuzzy pic
    On the Plate: Roasted Cauliflower (boiled in Saison, Water, orange juice, lime juice, Bayleaf, Red Pepper Flakes, Peppercorns, Salt, and coconut oil, then roasted in the oven), Brown Ale Pork Chops, and linguine tossed in the cauliflower broth reduced with heavy cream and sour cream and Basil.
    In the Glass: More NE IPA
    The roasted cauliflower could have used some more salt and a touch of Balsamic Glaze as the flavors from the broth didn't really carry over. The sauce for the pasta was rich and creamy which paired well with the carbonation on the IPA and the bitterness. The fruitiness of the hops played well with the fruitiness of the peppercorns and the citrus juices.
    [​IMG]

TheDoctor likes this.
  20. utopiajane

Outstanding and very nice too =)

TheDoctor likes this.
  21. utopiajane

wonderful!

22. utopiajane

Greek style Mac and Cheese

I used kale instead of spinach and kalamata olives in this greek mac and cheese. Home made ricotta is so easy and I think it tastes great. To fancy up the dish I would add lemon peel. I paired it with Victory Summer Love. I like the blonde ale. It;'s a little hoppy and the olives and pungent kale played well off the beer. The hoppier finish lets me keep eating happily. The bitterness lasts a touch longer than the malt. The style finishes "medium dry with the balance toward the malt." That part there is what separates it from an IPA. If it's too hoppy it will be there.

Cheers!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Barracudas, aoampm and TheDoctor like this.
  23. jbakajust1

Subscriber

Sad I can't see the photos

Badfish likes this.
  24. utopiajane

I am an idiot. I cleaned up a bunch of imgur photos mostly beer and food and went form over 12,000 images to about 3,000. That's where all my photos went. I bet there are holes all over the website in every thread. I never thought of that :eek::oops:

I feel like the biggest jerk. and spoiler of all things good. I will never erase another image from imgur again. This is peaches with oregano and cream . Pairs with Bittburger. Ancho chili powder, cinnamon and honey make this a lovely dessert. The oregano is fantastic with the tart peach! Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

aoampm and Barracudas like this.
  25. not2quick

not2quick Initiate (156) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Chicken and waffles

Badfish, Redrover, jbakajust1 and 3 others like this.
  26. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,023) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Coffee stout and chocolate cake. It works well.

Badfish, utopiajane and aoampm like this.
  27. utopiajane

Ok I may be a dummy but I'm back. "Do not erase things form the internet."

Roasted Cantaloupe with Black Bean Noodles and Bok Choy. I was drinking this when I made it and I could pair ti with almost every beer I have. I have a few. New Beer Sunday is coming.
    [​IMG]

I was drinking this when I made it.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

28. jbakajust1

Subscriber

On The Plate: Nachos. Pulled Jerk Pork (NE APA marinade), Wee Heavy Mole, Kolsch Beer Cheese sauce, corn, black beans, cilantro, NE APA sour cream.

In The Glass: ColdFire Sunshine Shake (NE APA).

Damn tasty, that's for sure. The Mole could use a little more heat but I had to keep it calm for the fam (took a pints worth and added more peppers). The citrus and soft mouthfeel of the beer played well with the citrusy notes of the cilantro and habanero in the Jerk. Saison may have been a better choice.

[​IMG]

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe