Sharing Your Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Greywulfken, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Pizza and beer. Daring, aren't I?
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: :cool: pepperoni pizza
    [​IMG]
    In the glass: Nomad, a Czech pilsener from Great Divide
    [​IMG]
    Nothing unsurprising about the fact this was excellent!
    The crisp, tight pilsener cut nicely into the salty, greasy meat and cheese bites of the pizza... :D

Cheers!

2. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

Snacking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Really dig cheese and beer. Crackers add some grounding, but aren't really necessary.
    And the proscuitto is just a plus.

In the glass: Double Trouble
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: Boar's Head gouda and prosciutto; water crackers
    [​IMG]
    There it is:
    [​IMG]
    The cheese melded - "melted" - right into the beer. The beer was ina a dead heat with the proscuitto - the bitterness was neck-and-neck with the salty and umami flavors of the prosciutto.

3. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

On the plate: Burgers! Bacon avocado and a simple bacon/cheese with homemade pickles. Both topped with a bourbon, porter, pepper BBQ sauce I made.
    In the glass: Evolution Lot 3 for me. Port City Porter for my fiance.

Pairing was solid for both. I liked the porter better than the IPA though because the BBQ and bacon just played better with the malty base. The IPA was a nice change of pace and still tasty though.
    [​IMG]

4. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

On the Plate: Asopao de Pollo (Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice Stew)
    In the Glass: Czech Mate Pilsner from Brewer's Alley

[​IMG]

5. marine1975

marine1975 Apr 27, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

This is the best thread on BA hands down! I'm not much of a cook but you guys always make me hungry....and thirsty!!! Keep the pics coming!

Badfish, queens1130, dar482 and 5 others like this.
  6. bpgpitt10

That sounds like it was a pretty spot on pairing.

7. bifrost17

bifrost17 Dec 16, 2011 Washington

I NEED that stew! Looks amazing.

8. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

bifrost17 likes this.
  9. bifrost17

10. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Alrighty! My wife and I have been on a Pescado Al Vapor (Steamed White Fish) kick.

A couple of weeks ago, Lagunitas Lucky 13.alt pescado al vapor with a Southern Star Valkyrie.

[​IMG]

Yesterday, did a RuinTen citrusy Seafood Al Vapor! Both phenomenal and delish but I gotta say the Lagunitas 13.alt was superior.

[​IMG]

dar482, Greywulfken, BRZvice and 3 others like this.
  11. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Eggplant napoleon with mozzarella, parm, and ricotta on top of a spicy tomato ragout
    In the glass: Blue Mountain Kolsch 151

The Kolsch was pretty nice against the spicy tomato ragout. The sweetness was a nice balance with it. I'll still say though that I had a glass of red wine with my second helping and that was a better pairing. The beer didn't detract from the meal at all, but I can't say it really elevated it either. Red sauces are just tough to pair with beer!
    [​IMG]

aoampm, Zaphog, queens1130 and 5 others like this.
  12. jdhende

jdhende Sep 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

[​IMG] jerk chicken over quinoa.

13. bpgpitt10

I used to make something like this. A fun twist every now and then is to take half the veggies, puree them, then reduce with cream to create a thick sauce for the dish. Mmmm may have to do this again soon.

14. tx_beer_man

Beer Trader

Hmmmm sounds delish!

15. danfue

danfue Sep 16, 2012 Germany

I tried to cook a recipe by Jamie Oliver today. Tuna steaks on peas and beans, all of it in an oregano-marjoram olive oil. My beer of choice while cooking was a Kuchlbauer Alte Liebe, a nice dark Weizen from those crazy folks who built a Hundertwasser-beer tower in their village.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Moroccan spiced shrimp over a cold summer quinoa salad (mostly black beans, tomatoes, basil, zucchini, lemon, EVOO)
    In the glass: 2011 Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

The shrimp were flavorful but not hot (no cayenne). The lemony and herbaceous summer salad was a great match with the beer, and the the shrimp provided a nice contrast. Overall, this was great as a light summer meal and the gueuze helped make it feel even lighter. Really enjoyed the pairing.
    [​IMG]

17. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

Dinner last weekend with the neighbors.
    Food: We all made our own Cornish hens. Mine has basil, orange and red pepper flakes. Side of mashed potatoes and Brussel sprouts.
    Beer: The Bruery Trois Poules Francois

[​IMG]

18. stx00lax

stx00lax Dec 27, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bottleworks 12 and posole verde. Horrible pairing. But a lot like sex. Even if its bad, it's still kinda good.

19. JesseMurdock

JesseMurdock Apr 14, 2013 Hawaii

chocolate eclair
    deschutes obsidian stout

jbakajust1 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  20. EliotRosewater

EliotRosewater May 25, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Reuben with homemade fries. Paired with Alpine Nelson. Hot rye on rye action.

[​IMG]

21. Murphey

Murphey May 9, 2008 Pennsylvania

Enjoying an ounce of Stilton with a Stone Ruination.

Yum.
    [​IMG]

22. EliotRosewater

Beer Trader

Thanks man! I feel pretty strongly that a proper sequence of: sauce; cheese; sauce; meat; kraut; meat; sauce; cheese; sauce is imperative to Reuben construction. Wasn't super stoked on the whole foods procured rye. I also feel it necessary to reveal that pastrami was used in the making of this Reuben.

Where you at? I try to frequent Alpine once a month or so when I'm in the area.

23. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

First time posting in this thread, but I do love it. Hope it's cool it isn't food I made per se.
    On the plate(in the box): andouille po-boy with Cajun slaw and tomatoes
    In the glass: Sixpoint resin
    [​IMG]
    This was really tasty, the resin was great with the spiciness of the sausage and remoulade.

24. EliotRosewater

Beer Trader

Homemade (dough and sauce) pizza with mozzarella and prosciutto. Pliny and Duet.

[​IMG]

Badfish, fede_glodo, BRZvice and 10 others like this.
  25. bifrost17

Looking at this thread after you've had a couple beers and no food is dangerous........I'm so damn hungry!

26. b00m_b00m

b00m_b00m Jul 10, 2013 California

so much rage right now

Not too far from Alpine, I also frequent OC and LA areas once a month or so.

Best reuben in SD isn't too far from Alpine FYI

27. mverity

mverity Oct 6, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

On the plate: Ensalada Mixta- Endive, Radicchio, Romaine, shaved carrot, purple cabbage and radish with a sriracha, honey, grain mustard, ketchup and worchestershire dressing.

In the Glass: Stillwater/Thiriez 'French Connection' Belgian Pale

callmeishmALE likes this.
  28. callmeishmALE

On the plate: grilled peach brushed with a mixture of: butter, sugar, bourbon, and cinnamon

In the glass: a bit of woodford reserve and a tallgrass buffalo sweat
    [​IMG]

jbakajust1, aoampm, BRZvice and 9 others like this.
  29. bifrost17

I don't usually post in this thread, but....

[​IMG]

HOLY FUCKIN SHIT!!! I opened the beer and then decided I wanted a little dessert to go with it. I rummaged through the pantry and found this chocolate bar. The stout by itself is pretty damn good, maybe even bordering on great, but take a bite of this chocolate and follow it up with a sip of this beer...WORLD CLASS INSANELY AMAZING!!! Tastes like drinking a vanilla, almond, chocolate chip cookie....there aren't even almonds in the chocolate so I'm not sure where that flavor is coming from, but still....DIS SHIT CRAY!

30. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Cauliflower, quinoa cakes with roasted lima beans and grapes. Lemon, avocado, IPA dipping sauce
    In the glass: Schlafly Can Session IPA

Pairing was pretty decent. The Schlafly doesn't have tons of flavor, but it does have a solid lemony taste to it that went well with everything. It's not overly bitter either so it was just a pretty mellow accompaniment to the meal.

[​IMG]

31. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

Looks frickin excellent!! God, I love paella!

We did a paella too a couple weeks back. Chicken and chorizo and paired with Arrowhead pale ale.
    [​IMG]

32. davemathews68

davemathews68 Jan 25, 2013 Ohio

On the plate: chocolate fudge cake
    In the glass: Sam Adams Longshot strawberry lager

I would have took a pic but it was gone before I realized how delicious the pairing was!

33. tx_beer_man

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Ohio's Gangster Frog I.P.A. chicken tacos and brew! Desert was Karbach's Roshambo and Ghirardelli Chocolates!

Greywulfken and Hockey_Fan like this.
  34. tx_beer_man

Beer Trader

I'm def going to do this! Any tips?

callmeishmALE likes this.
  35. callmeishmALE

I did mine in a grill pan over medium heat for probably about 5 minutes, rotating occasionally. If you were doing charcoal or propane the timing is pretty similar. I just melted about a tablespoon and a half of butter for 1 peach mixed in the cinnamon,sugar, and I'd say a couple teaspoons of bourbon (probably couldve done with a bit more for me) and let it sit on the peach for a few minutes before grilling. Cheers!

tx_beer_man likes this.
  36. ehammond1

ehammond1 Jul 4, 2008

[​IMG]
    Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 Pale Ale and Reuben fixin's creepin'

[​IMG]
    Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 Pale Ale
    Reuben Tacos

37. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Soy, maple, mustard marinated salmon with crispy skin in a ginger, mushroom broth. Topped with pickled serranos
    In the glass: Blue Mountain Kolsch 151

The meal itself had a ton going on. Sweet, sour, spicy, earthy and rich. The Kolsch was a solid fit because it matched the sweetness and had a clean finish that let me get right back to the food with a pretty clean palate. Enjoyed it.
    [​IMG]

38. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

On the plate: steaming beef bourguignon stew and a bowl of oven-fresh, French-style rolls
    In the glass: Great Divide's Wolfgang doppelbock lager
    [​IMG]
    The stew is nothing much to look at, admittedly (I mean, it's stew...), but lookit dem rolls!
    [​IMG]
    Nice pairing. The beer was solid enough to stand with the beef stew, which was quite flavorful. The sweet malts of the beer and the savory salty beef, pearl onion, and carrot from the stew got along quite well with each other. The rolls, with a crisp/chewy crust and a super-soft interior, mopped up plenty of stew, too.
    There were no survivors.
    :p

39. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Gose and gouda. Good stuff.
    [​IMG]

40. bpgpitt10

Did you make those rolls?!?! Regardless, they look awesome.

Badfish and Greywulfken like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe