Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Sharing Your Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Greywulfken, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queens1130

queens1130 Nov 21, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

On the plate: chocolate stout cupcakes using CW satin solstice as the base, topped with a dark chocolate ganache & fresh raspberry
    In the glass: '11 blushing monk

I thought this pairing would work very well. I very much enjoyed them as separate entities, the cupcake being fluffy & moist, extremely tasty though I substituted brown sugar for the white. Blushing monk was as sweet & raspberry forward as I remember from last time. However when paired together, the cupcake may have overpowered the beer, creating a slight tartness on the palate, possibly I needed a sweeter beer to stand up to the cupcakes bold flavors?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

I forgot to place the beer in the pic cause I was focusing on the close up shot. lol. But anyway....

On the cutting board: smoked sausage fatty. Homemade mexican chorizo, stuffed with spinach and oaxaca cheese, and wrapped in a bacon weave. Then smoked with apple and hickory.
    In the glass: Santa Fe Brewing "Java Stout"
    [​IMG]

This was an excellent breakfast. Coffee stout and smokey porky goodness. nom nom nom.

Badfish, jbakajust1, aoampm and 35 others like this.
  3. LotsofLupulin

LotsofLupulin May 5, 2012 Colorado

Holy shit.

4. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

On the plate: Tequila, lime marinated shrimp with cuban black beans
    In the glass: DC Brau OTWOA

So I had some OTWOA in the fridge and was more worried about drinking that than nailing the pairing. The OTWOA was definitely a huge palate wrecker but it could have been worst. The lime hit the citrus well and the black beans were fine with the malt in the beer. Not the worst ever... but the beer was still great!

[​IMG]

BRZvice, Big_V, callmeishmALE and 7 others like this.
  5. bpgpitt10

Uhh breakfast? That's amazing sir.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  6. Bierlerner

Yeah, I made the chorizo and put together the whole fatty the night before. Got up a little early and set the smoker up. Smoked for about 3.5 hours. Had with some fried eggs and avocado and bit of sriracha.

aoampm, libbey and marine1975 like this.
  7. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Chicken and dumplings
    In the glass: Southern Tier Pumking

I did this last fall (with Schlafly)and thought it was a great pairing. The richness of the chicken and dumplings that also doesn't have any punch in the face flavors match well with the pumpkin beer that adds a punch of fall. I do add tumeric to the chicken and dumplings to up the aromatics in it a bit which is the one extra I use outside of pretty standard chicken and dumplings.
    [​IMG]

8. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

When I saw that smoked fatty I thought about posting same exact thing, you just beat me to it.

9. Henamonster

Henamonster Feb 2, 2007 California

On the Plate: Farm fresh eggs (not store bought) and sourdough bread.

In the glass: Midnight Sun's Treat (Imperial Pumpkin Porter) and a cup of freshly ground coffee.

[​IMG]

This pairing was superb. The subtle chocolaty-ness of the beer went rather well with the mild, almost bland egginess of the omelet. Don't get me wrong, by bland I don't mean boring, but I couldn't think of anything to emphasize an "egg" flavor. I didn't add anything other than olive oil, salt and pepper.

10. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Had this a little earlier today...
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: melted sharp cheddar cheese (albeit the processed kind - lol) on toasted bread - I call it "cheese toast"
    In the glass: Stone's 17th Anniversary Gotterdammerung IPA

Hard to beat the basic stuff sometimes - the salty, tangy cheese over crusty-edged chewy bread was perfect to pair with the ale, which had a brilliant array of hops and a drying finish.

Later, I cut up some hot soppressata...
    [​IMG]
    ...and Auricchio provolone...
    [​IMG]
    ...to pair with my Bear Republic Café Racer 15...
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I just basically stood there, eating and drinking - nothing made it to a plate or table...

The beer was not as good as I'd expected, despite favorable reviews - the hops and malts seemed muddied/muddled, and not as crisp as I'd have preferred, and fell short of the task actually, despite my attempt to meet Bear Republic's pairing suggestions.

But lemme tell ya: that Auricchio provolone is excellent - they use an exclusive rennet to produce a powerfully sharp and tangy cheese - and you can see how its almost flaky, like a parmesan reggiano. If you like that sort of thing, I'd recommend you pick some up if you spot it.

Cheers!

11. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Bourbon county homemade marshmallows!
    In the glass: Coffee

Come on... it's early. But the bourbon county shines through these things like crazy because 4oz of it (half the beer used) is uncooked. The nuances of the bourbon, vanilla, and coffee really pull through to create a complex marshmallow (never thought I'd say those words together). Oh and dropping one of these in my coffee is basically freaking heaven.

[​IMG]

12. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

Plate: chicken stuffed with spinach, mushrooms, and smoked gouda; wrapped in prosciutto
    Glass: General Sherman IPA

sorry no photo :(

Greywulfken likes this.
  13. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

The international melting pot: Roman history, Belgian-ish beer, and Mexican-inspired food...

While watching an episode of Rome...
    [​IMG]
    In the glass: Hennepin, Ommegang's farmhouse saison, brewed with Grains of Paradise, coriander, ginger, and sweet orange peel.
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: avocado quesadillas (Haas avocadoes; mozzarella and provolone cheese; with some hot sauce and sour cream).
    [​IMG]
    Initially, the pairing seemed a miss - particularly with the hot sauce, which didn't mix well with the saison - but used with less enthusiasm, and as the Hennepin warmed, it was very gratifying to wash down the quesadilla - soft and slightly chewy, with mild cheese and avocado flavors - with the fuzzy-feeling and slightly citric and herbal-tasting saison.

;)

14. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

Just a quick note (a day late :rolleyes:):

Yesterday marked one year (yea! :D) that this thread has been up and running, and it's been awesome seeing all the delicious meals we've been making - thanks to all of you for making this thread such a feast for the eyes and imagination!

And, wow, I didn't realize the vast amount of stuff that's appeared in here over the past year, as I just went through the whole thread (*stomach grumbling* lol :p), amazed by all the great stuff I saw.

Cheers!

Badfish, BRZvice, Coldsnack and 2 others like this.
  15. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

and how does one go about making this?

16. marine1975

marine1975 Apr 27, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Like I said....my favorite thread on BA by far!

bpgpitt10 and Greywulfken like this.
  17. stx00lax

stx00lax Dec 27, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Time for another one..
    Plate: halibut cheeks on a ragout of chanterelles, yukons, preserved lemon, fresh English peas and sweet corn with sorrels and herb oil.
    Glass: 3-way ipa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Badfish, Coldsnack, futura123 and 3 others like this.
  18. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

Today's Lunch
    In the glass: Had some Golden Delicious left over from last night - an "American" tripel aged in Apple Brandy barrels, featuring Simcoe, Amarillo, and Columbus hops, and Canadian 2-row malts
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: toasted white bread with sliced Haas avocado (leftover from last night) sprinkled with salt and lemon juice, and tuna salad made with (Hellman's) mayonnaise, salt, freshly ground pepper, cumin, and just a touch of cayenne.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A great summer lunch combination with lots of comfort-flavors, from the tangy apple in the tripel to the smooth and creamy tuna and avocado, with the slight chew from the bread.

19. solo103

solo103 Apr 8, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

20. Zaphog

Zaphog Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Founders Inspired Artist Black IPA...
    [​IMG]
    ...with fresh squeezed lime juice and soy sauce marinated flank steak topped with homemade corn salsa (corn, red onion, basil, cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper).
    [​IMG]

21. Zaphog

Zaphog Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Aww Jeah & Huma
    [​IMG]

paired w/ steak & corn salsa 'chos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Leftover old bay chicken wings turned into a hash with celery and bell pepper. EVOO fried egg on top to act as a "sauce"
    In the glass: Victory Summer Love

Nice little lunch with all kinds of old-bay flavoring and yolkey goodness. The summer love was a nice refreshing beer for a lunch meal (vacation day!) that didn't need anything other than a light palate cleanser. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
    [​IMG]

23. Bierlerner

I could write up an edu for everyone. Its relatively simple. At work currently, but I'll do it this weekend.

Henamonster and bpgpitt10 like this.
  24. BRZvice

BRZvice Apr 7, 2012 Michigan

Homemade Heirloom tomato & Red Haven peach salsa topped over grilled chicken nachos
    Paired with Short's Aww Jeah with a squeeze of lime
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

Not my most exciting pairing, but I finished off an overtime week and realized I had no food.
    On the plate: hashbrowns with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and a little mustard seed
    In the glass (can): dales pale ale
    [​IMG]
    It was a good, if not poor, breakfast.

Badfish, futura123 and Greywulfken like this.
  26. datphoo

datphoo Oct 15, 2011 Texas

In the glass: a Little Sumpin Sumpin
    On the plate: maple bacon cheeseburger, topped with mozzarella and caramelized onions

[​IMG]

27. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Hot dog, potato hash fried in bacon grease with an apple, cilantro salsa
    In the glass: DC Brau OTWOA

You know, this was surprisingly tasty together. The OTWOA is about a month old so the citrus is mellowed out leaving more malt and some nice bitter. I mean it's still solidly bitter, but I was feeling that. The salsa complimented the citrus notes well and the malt with the carmelized hot dog and bacon grease worked... shockingly.
    [​IMG]

28. Houser

Houser Sep 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

i will start it off with a beer ive been chasing for months and pizza with bacon :)
    [​IMG]

Greywulfken and solo103 like this.
  29. Kanger

Kanger Sep 3, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Ichiran Ramen in Shibuya, Tokyo with a Suntory.

[​IMG]

30. cyde

cyde Feb 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Crispy duck (yard raised) leg & breast, mandarin pepper jelly, roasted chili-lime brussels sprouts.
    Lindemans Cuvee Rene to drink.

[​IMG]

Also made some 10Fidy beer candied bacon. Killer for snacking, salads, or crumbled on top of a bagel smeared with cream cheese.

[​IMG]

Recipe was your typical candied bacon formula except I reduced 1/2 can of beer to a syrup before adding the brown sugar and cayenne pepper.

31. bpgpitt10

Whole meal looks insanely good. Can you post the whole candied bacon formula? I've never done that before and sounds awesome.

32. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

That looks fantastic.

33. cyde

cyde Feb 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Good video for candied bacon:

I reduced about 6oz TenFidy (only stout I had available) down to 3 oz then added a handful of brown sugar and two pinches of cayenne (season to taste). Then brushed the glaze onto a sheet of cooked bacon, cooking for a few minutes, flipping, glazing, and repeating until the sugars caramelized to a nice crispy shell. Since the bacon is preserved in sugar, you can make large batches that will stay fresh for a few days (assuming you don't eat it all in a day or two heheh).

The recipe calls for maple syrup and rice wine vinegar, but the beer will take the place of those two. Any beer will work, but I'd avoid using a hoppy beer as they taste extremely bitter when cooked down. The flavor profile of a stout worked very well with the brown sugar, cayenne, and savory bacon.

The video will explain everything in detail. His recipe is fantastic, but I wanted to take it over the top by adding beer. I'd suggest following the video's recipe first, then experiment once you get the hang of it.

Next on my list is to make beer candied pecans.

34. Kanger

Kanger Sep 3, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

mmm My friend makes candied bacon a lot and it's so good.

35. wr3ck00n

wr3ck00n Aug 23, 2013 North Carolina

Compared to what everyone else has posted here, this is ridiculously simple... but Lindor Milk Chocolate Truffle bar + Southern Tier Oak Aged Backburner.. really quite lovely.

Greywulfken likes this.
  36. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Chocolate cupcakes with a chocolate peanut butter ganache filling and either a milk chocolate icing or more ganache on top
    In the glass: Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (2011)

I thought this would be overkill on the chocolate, but it was pretty darn solid because the cupcakes had a nice balance of dark chocolate to keep the whole pairing from being a chocolate/sugar overload. I was more along for the ride making these... my fiance killed it with them! "S" was for the person's bday these were for.
    [​IMG]

37. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

You had me at "Crispy duck..." - lol - everything looks and sounds amazing

OldPenguinHunter likes this.
  38. cyde

cyde Feb 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Simple pairings are always good. I'd be happy with a nice beer, salted almonds, and a cigar.

Yeah I'm a sucker for crispy duck skin. I'd take it over bacon any day of the week.

39. bpgpitt10

Wow strong statement. I love it, but I think I like bacon better. That being said, I prefer duck fat to bacon fat to use in cooking (duck fat fries?!?!).

BRZvice likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe