Sharing Your Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Greywulfken, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Disciple (338) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

that looks amazing, do you mind sharing the recipe?

BRZvice and Greywulfken like this.
  2. smakawhat

smakawhat Poo-Bah (5,936) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

The recipe is from a book that was given to me which is here: http://www.ottomanturkjewishgirl.com/

The recipe is a bit lengthy to type out here so I'll make it out short hand. I suggest if you really like Turkish food to get the book, I've made a few of the recipes and they are really dang good!

I'll short hand the recipe:

Get some peppers, cut the tops off slightly making sure they still attach. Clean the insides and stuff with a mixture of the following:

Pound of ground beef, garlic, rice, diced tomato, diced onion, parsley, dill, mint, fresh ground black pepper, salt, tomato paste.

Then the tricky part is you have to boil them/steam them in about 1 and a 1/2 cups of water turned upside down. Dust them with butter and sugar, then cook 45 minutes. You need to get the temp hot enough but not so much the water burns off and the peppers burst, and not so slow otherwise the rice wont cook through.

Best of luck!

BalancingBrooms and Greywulfken like this.
  3. PerHops

PerHops Devotee (468) Apr 5, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I don't have pictures, but last night I poached lobster tail in butter. I served this with some red potatoes and grilled asparagus, which I finished in the lobster butter. Fantome Pissenlit was a beautiful if strange pairing to the meal!

4. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (1,937) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

2012 Sexual Chocolate paired w/ a Chocolate Butter Braid Pastry
    [​IMG]

5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,114) Mar 18, 2010 California

Someone really likes Sexual Chocolate...

6. Zaphog

Beer Trader

Who?

7. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,041) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Is that an ice cream beer float? That sounds (looks) amazing

8. zookerman182

zookerman182 Zealot (594) Oct 8, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

It is (was) and it was disgusting.

Never trying it agan. All at sweet made the FBS taste extremely bitter and nasty.

You live and learn

9. smakawhat

Subscriber

Badfish, futura123, BRZvice and 2 others like this.
  10. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,041) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Too bad.

11. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (2,946) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

In the glass:
    [​IMG]
    Had my first Gouden Carolus today
    A great tripel, fuzzy, fresh, and sweet with citrus and flowers over fine pale malts.

On the plate:
    [​IMG]
    Had my second pour of the 'Carolus with some brie and crackers, accompanied by some prosciutto and prunes (yes, prunes :stuck_out_tongue: - although plum sounds so much more appealing...).
    [​IMG]
    The prunes were a bit too sweet for the tripel, but went well with the salted meat and soft cheese.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

Badfish, jbakajust1, BRZvice and 4 others like this.
  12. BigSwigs

BigSwigs Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

First Sharing Your Pairing post for me.
    In the glass: Bell's Porter
    On the plate: Spinach salad with Asiago and vinaigrette, and the main event, slow grilled kebabs of deer heart, onions, mushrooms and topped with a salt potato. Bit of wheat bread toast on the side.
    [​IMG]

The porter was a nice and not too overpowering pairing for the heart, which is good because I wanted that to shine. It complemented the smokiness from the grill and subdued a bit of the mineral flavor without covering it up. The porter went great with the wheat bread toast, that was actually the most succesful pairing of the meal, that's a snack to remember.
    Cheers BA!

Badfish, aoampm, BeerKangaroo and 6 others like this.
  13. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Aspirant (287) May 12, 2008 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

On the Plate: Pork loin with roasted sweet potatoes and parsley root. Topped with a fall salsa (apple cider/apple/parsley).
    In the Glass: Tripel Karmeliet

Pairing was definitely tasty. I brined the pork with some spices and apple cider then rubbed it with a corriander/garlic/white pepper rub. Cooked it to just medium to keep the tender flavor. The tripel was nice with the apple burst of flavor and the spices from the cider in the brine and sals also worked well. The sweet on the roasted veggies also hit a nice note. Would definitely recommend this!

[​IMG]

jbakajust1, aoampm, jdhende and 10 others like this.
  14. bpgpitt10

Beer Trader

Hopefully not your last one either with this kind of stuff on your plate! Welcome!

aoampm likes this.
  15. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Initiate (174) May 27, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

That sounds very good. My mouth is salivating right now.

16. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (190) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

[​IMG]
    This is a favorite recipe of mine.
    140 grams of diced bacon
    300 grams of frozen whole leaf spinach
    250 grams of creme fraiche
    Spaghetti for one hungry person
    Generous amounts of roughly cracked black pepper
    Salt to taste

Fry the bacon until crisp, add the spinach to the pan and let it wilt (you can either use the bacon fat or drain the fat from the pan and use the fat of your choice), add the creme fraich and let it mix with the other ingredients to a sauce, add cracked black pepper and salt to taste.

To go along with a rich pasta sauce like this I prefer to drink a pale lager beer, like Heineken. This version is 3.5% abv yet it still has a pleasant balance of maltiness and bitterness, it's not a light beer by any means. A pilsner or a pale lager beer with a balanced maltiness and bitterness would work superbly with this dish.

Just don't blame me if you get a heart attack.

17. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE Disciple (327) Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

Pretty tasty meal tonight.
    On the plate: Pizza with olive oil base, mozzarella, sautéed sweet potatoes, Italian vegan ground "beef" (I'm sure that's a turn off for some), dried cherries, and sage.
    In the glass: schalfly Christmas.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

18. Henamonster

Henamonster Initiate (60) Feb 2, 2007 California

I've never tried the vegan beef on pizza, but I've used Smart Grounds Mexican Style for tacos and it was excellent (the wife's a pescatarian, so I have to make a sacrifice every now and then.) Some of the taco pairings I've done in this thread were vegetarian (real cheese, of course.) Highly recommended.

19. Zaphog

Beer Trader

Founders Breakfast Stout w/ pumpkin pie
    [​IMG]

20. Henamonster

In the glass: Rogue's Pumpkin Patch Ale
    On the Plate: Sweet Potato and beer biscuits w/maple sage butter

[​IMG]

This was my Thanksgiving morning breakfast. The recipe only calls for about a 1/2 cup of the pumpkin ale, so at 7:30 a.m. I found myself with the perfect opportunity to start the celebration early. Right out of the oven they were deliciously steamy. I have a few left over, so I'm going to try and make some kind of leftover turkey w/gruyere melt (heated panini-style.) I would have to say that these were definitely the best looking biscuits I've ever made and they went over excellently with the family The recipe can be found at http://thebeeroness.com/2012/10/11/sweet-potato-beer-biscuits-with-maple-sage-butter/

21. bpgpitt10

Beer Trader

On the plate: Butternut squash ravioli with a brown butter, cracked pepper, and blue cheese sauce
    In the glass: Stoudts Double IPA

The pairing wasn't all that good frankly. I knew the ravioli would be sweet which is why I made a sauce with some nice spice from the abundant black pepper and some acid from the blue cheese. I thought the beer would be more assertively bitter which I thought would play a great balance with the ravioli... not so much. The beer was much more leaning on the sweet side which was too similar. I ended up just drinking most of the beer afterwards.
    [​IMG]

Badfish, aoampm, Coldsnack and 8 others like this.
  22. bpgpitt10

Beer Trader

On the plate: Beef/basil sausage with sauteed shiitake mushrooms and bok choy in an amped up beef broth
    In the glass: Smuttynose Star Island Single

Well the meal was solid even though the sausage was just poor. Definitely won't be buying that again... just way too lean. Anyhow, the broth and veggies were great so still satisfying. The pairing was ok at best. The beer is ok at best as well so what can ya say. It did mellow the heat I put in the broth a bit with the mild sweetness of the beer so that was decent.

[​IMG]

aoampm, Coldsnack, futura123 and 4 others like this.
  23. Henamonster

In the glass: Rogue's Double Chocolate Stout
    On the plate: A farmers market deluxe of six-grain bread, a farm fresh egg w/rosemary-thyme potatoes sprinkled with Hepp's smoked salt.
    In the cup: Forge Coffee Roasters organic Brazil dry-process coffee.

[​IMG]

A lot of times when I'm pairing anything for breakfast, I actually lean more towards a solid stout paired with whatever coffee I am drinking. In this case, the coffee was roasted yesterday and was a solid choice to play off the sweetness of the chocolate stout. The rosemary and thyme gave off an aroma that warmed the entire apartment on a cold Sunday morning. The part of the breakfast that worked best was the smokiness of the salt and chocolate.

24. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    On the plate: hickory-smoked bacon-wrapped scallops.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In the glass: Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball Ale, and American strong ale
    [​IMG]

The ale was sweet and boozy-fruity, a high abv bev that needed me to eat something. I haven't had some bacon-wrapped scallops in some time, and I knew it would be a natural pairing. Sweet met smoke, and tender and chewy met smooth and slick. Complimentary themes followed...

25. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Devotee (464) Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

In the bowl: Linsensuppe (German Lentil Soup)
    In the glass: Long Trail Double Bag, a German style Stickebier

[​IMG]

26. Henamonster

On the plate: Chocolate Chunk Beer-Bacon-Cayenne cookies w/a little fleur de sel sprinkled on top
    In the glass: Victory at Sea - Balllast Point

[​IMG]

I had to go to a cookie party over the weekend, so I found a recipe for these cookies at craftbeer.com (more specifically... http://www.craftbeer.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-cookies-with-bacon-beer-and-cayenne

The recipe didn't call for any sea salt sprinkled on top, but I couldn't resist the combo of chocolate & salt. The recipe also calls for 1 to 2 tablespoons of cayenne, but I wasn't sure how the group would feel with a little heat, so I kept it at 1 tablespoon. It was definitely enough as you could still taste a bit of it with the chocolatey/bacon goodness (and when you dip them in hot coffee the next morning you get a little heat zip of cayenne for breakfast.) The beer itself gets a little lost in the actual cookie, but I couldn't complain as the leftovers paired nicely with the finished cookie. These were a hit with the holiday crowd (highly recommended!)

27. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Disciple (338) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

[​IMG]
    Brother Thelonious and Bacon Wrapped Dates, easy peezy

28. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Nothing of my own crafting here, but Davio's makes some pretty damn good stuff.
    [​IMG]
    In the glass: Petrus Aged Pale, a Flanders Oud Bruin - tart and pale with an apple cider vinegar character
    On the plate: Davio's Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls - crispy shells with hot spiced chicken inside

Great pairing - the sour ale and Buffalo chicken seasonings went hand-in-hand. The Petrus was an excellent finisher, too, once the spring rolls were gone.

29. bpgpitt10

Beer Trader

On the plate: Bacon, fingerling, and escarole saute topped with shaved parm. Finished with a mustard vinaigrette.
    In the glass: Smuttynose Old Brown Dog

This was a really great pairing. The beer paired well with the bacon and potatoes as the escarole (bitter) and mustard (acid) provided the balance to the dish. Great quick day-off lunch dish!

[​IMG]

30. bpgpitt10

Beer Trader

On the plate: Riff on Tunisian Lablabi with ham added and topped with homemade "chicken fries". Lablabi is a cumin, lemon, and chickpea based soup normally. This was more of a saucy beans using those flavors as a base and adding the ham and some heat via Sriracha
    In the glass: Victory Prima Pils

Pairing was very good. The citrus in the meal played well with the pils and the heat also was highlighted by the hops... but didn't make it overbearing. Clean finish helped refresh the palate for the next bite.

[​IMG]

Badfish, BRZvice, Hockey_Fan and 5 others like this.
  31. bpgpitt10

Beer Trader

On the plate: Crispy fingerlings and salami on a bed of arugula, carrot tops, and fennel fronds dressed with a mustard vinaigrette
    In the glass: Yuengling

Had a bunch of Yuengling (still do) from a party at our place. The meal itself was already pretty well composed and balanced so the Yueng was fine with it. The mild sweetness of the Yueng was actually pretty nice against the really acidic vinaigrette.

[​IMG]

32. Zaphog

Beer Trader

7 hour slow roasted pulled pork tacos w/ cheddar jack, pineapple salsa, pickled red onion, red cabbage, cilantro, green onion & avocado cream.
    [​IMG]

Paired w/ Perrin I.I.P.A.
    [​IMG]

Badfish, aoampm, BRZvice and 4 others like this.
  33. Zaphog

Beer Trader

Hotdog topped with cheese sauce, jalapenos, pickled red onions, mac & cheese and Sriracha...
    [​IMG]
    Paired with Terra Firma Wicked Garden Honey Rye Beet Wheat.
    [​IMG]

Hockey_Fan, Greywulfken and futura123 like this.
  34. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

Randomly occurring pairing...
    [​IMG]
    In the glass: Great Divide's wee heavy, Claymore Scotch Ale
    [​IMG]
    On the plate:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Proscuitto
    [​IMG]
    Auricchio provolone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Roasted red pepper marinated in olive oil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sweet pickles marinated with onion, pepper, and dill
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sun-dried tomatoes
    [​IMG]
    Actually, relatively mild pairings. The sweet pickle, maybe with a cracker, or without, went well - as did the provolone (again, with or without cracker) - with the beer. The peppers and tomatoes did nothing one way or another with the beer, but were perfectly enjoyable as part of the plate.
    The sum may not have been greater than its parts here, but there were no survivors... :wink:

Badfish, jbakajust1, BRZvice and 6 others like this.
  35. bpgpitt10

Beer Trader

On the plate: Beer brined pork loin over roasted garlic cauliflower purée and asparagus topped with a blackberry, Dijon red wine reduction.
    In the glass: Westmalle Trappist Dubbel

The beer went really well with the fruit in the reduction. I also brined the pork in a Sam Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock so the hints that came through from that also resonated with the Westmalle. All in all this was a great meal. The cauliflower puree may have been the best aspect of the meal though believe it or not.

[​IMG]

36. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska

In the glass: Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye
    On the plate: Bacon Boursin cheeseburger

[​IMG]

I had this a couple weeks ago and had to have it again yesterday. This is a recycled pic from a couple weeks ago.

37. smakawhat

Subscriber

In the glass: Evil Twin - The Cowboy (smoked Pilsner)
    On the plate: Hungarian ghoulash

[​IMG]
    Evil Twin The Cowboy with Hungarian Ghoulash
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

Interested in the idea of a smoked Helles, or Rauchbier smoke to go with the dish, however as good as the food is the beer is only ok.

I am a big fan of Rauchbier and such, but this is low on smoke and the bottle also is overcarbed and has issues. A far as flavor goes low on smoke, slightly low in novocaine phenols and medicinal but not too bad but it is noticeable to me. More importantly it has a very nice peach sweetness to it, which is very unexpected and I was hoping for more malt and not sweet fruit to go with this dish. So it doesn't quite fly but it's not a total loss.

38. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

Hey, folks! I went pretty classic tonight. Made this chicken and ox tongue pie and had some Yard's Extra Special Ale to go with it. Great combo.

[​IMG]

39. ssam

ssam Disciple (310) Dec 2, 2008 California

[​IMG] Lagunitas Sucks with my killer homemade mac

BeerKangaroo and Greywulfken like this.
  40. Henamonster

This looks delicious.

Greywulfken likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.