Sharing Your Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Greywulfken, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jae

jae Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2010 Washington

Corned beer & cabbage with a smoked chili porter.

Greywulfken and BeerKangaroo like this.
  2. glass_house

glass_house Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio

2" thick 18 oz. delmonico marinated in Bohemian Black Lager, black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked applewood rub. Charcoal-grilled RARE with garlic-parmesan mashed potatoes and grilled onions. Super-fresh Fat Head's Hop JuJu to wash it down.

I am glad my wife was not home for this scene because I was making audible orgasmic groans as I devoured this.

[​IMG]

#562 glass_house, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  3. glass_house

Troeg's Nugget Nectar with spicy asiago venison sausage and spinach-feta pierogies.[​IMG]

4. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

In the glass: Sixpoint's Global Warmer (courtesy of @beerloserLI )
    On the plate: Chicken curry with steamed garlic seasoned broccoli

[​IMG]

This was a fantastic lunch!

5. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

Prepped this in the A.M. so that when my wife got home from her running club she'd have something amazing to eat. I believe she had a glass of Santa Julia Tempranillo with it. I'll be pairing it with an amazing English Barleywine.

Bottom to top:
    Fig Balsamic Jam
    Fresh Mozzarella
    Duck Breast confit that I made yesterday (10 hr stove top version)
    Prosciutto
    Shaved Goat Gouda Cheese
    Dried Cherries
    Saratoga Olive Oil Company Black Cherry Balsamic drizzle
    (I had caramelized onions made, but she tossed them thinking that they were old)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL]

6. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

*drools uncontrollably, ruining a good shirt*

7. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Whoah, you paired an awesome looking meal for with a Barleywine, :grimacing:, uh...you win at least for today and I'm ISO your meal. Damn, man, thanx for embarrassing the rest of us, but its a good embarrassment. :sunglasses::slight_smile:

Thickfreakness likes this.
  8. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

This was actually last night's dinner. Sorry for the late posting.

In the glass: Monk's Café Flemish Sour Ale
    On the plate: Sloppy Joe sprinkled with some shredded mozzarella cheese and carrots on the side

[​IMG]

Cheers, Beer Advocates! For me, this was very good and that says a lot since its a sour ale.

9. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Initiate (0) May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

Ah man I love sours with food. I'd argue that outside of maybe saisons, they tend to pair the best. I think most food that people make tends to lack the acidity balance required in a meal. Sours are awesome at breaking through richness of stews and such that are so prevalent over the winter!

Badfish and BeerKangaroo like this.
  10. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Yeah, a lot of people do which was why I had to investigate for myself since I'm usually not a fan of most. But also, this was a sour I could probably do again without food. Cheers.

11. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Venison sausage tacos fried in bacon fat with homemade hot peppers and pickle aioli
    In the glass: Fatheads Head Hunter

The taco was outrageously good. The pickle aioli was delicious and a nice compliment to the sausage. It also helped cool the hot peppers. The beer wasn't exactly right. It was overly bitter with the slight char on the sausage and just too overpowering. I pretty much just placed it to the side and ate/drank separately. Miscalculation on my part for sure.
    [​IMG]

12. bpgpitt10

Yeah I can actually trace back my love of sours to a single food pairing. The CBJ sandwich at Hop Leaf in Chicago with Cuvee Des Jacobins. It was such a fantastic pairing that I started seeking more sours out. Be careful though... it's an expensive path to go down! :slight_smile:

13. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

That's too bad that it wasn't exactly right for you. I once got a Fatheads Head Hunter in a trade and thought that would've been absolutely perfect with almost just about any meal but from what I read from your post that you say it was a "miscalculation," well, cheers to the effort.

14. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Forgot to post this yesterday.

In the glass: Oakshire IPA
    On the plate: leftover sloppy Joe from the weekend

[​IMG]

I actually prefer this over the sour and think it paired better because I knew this AIPA was a bit older and the hops have started to die on it just a bit. So between a maltier taste of the brew and a decent spicy meat content of the sandwich this was absolutely awesome to me.

15. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Yeah, actually, someone else actually bought it for me before he moved away. Funny how some people will give a gift before they depart, but there's a part of me that feels like I should've given him a gift and I didn't :flushed:. Boy, all I have to say is that's some gift, whoah!

16. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,113) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

On separate occasions...
    Nugget Nectar has found itself paired with curly fries seasoned with parmesan, parsley, and lemon juice...
    [​IMG]
    ...as well as some Auricchio provolone (my default ale-pairing cheese of late)...
    [​IMG]
    ...meanwhile, Bell's Two Hearted Ale went really well with this stew:
    [​IMG]
    Beef tenderloin pieces, fingerling potatoes, red and yellow peppers, and onion...
    Super-savory and sweet, the meat and potatoes approach to beer-pairing is hard to screw up, eh?
    Admittedly, Two Hearted and Nugget Nectar are kinda foolproof for pairing with the staples shown above :wink:

To good eats and good ales - cheers!

17. glass_house

Beer-battered fried porkchop, sharp cheddar pierogies, and a 2012 Old Stock Ale.

[​IMG]

18. jb123

jb123 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2012 Michigan

[​IMG]

Thai chicken salad and some huna

19. bsnone

bsnone Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 Arizona

No photo - but last night I ran with:

In the Glass: O'Dell Peach Tree Shaker IPA

On the plate (errr, bowl): Caramel Apple Pie Gelato.

Fantastic. :slight_smile:

Greywulfken and callmeishmALE like this.
  20. Drifty69

Drifty69 Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2013 Illinois

No photo- didn't take one.

On the plate: Balut x3

In the glass: Dogfish Head 120 min IPA

I loved the combination and thought it was amazing.

Greywulfken and Sneers like this.
  21. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

Now there's a dish I didn't expect to see here, but the combo does actually sound good with some salt and chili sauce!

22. jb123

jb123 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2012 Michigan

Chicken pad Thai with ccb Florida cracker

[​IMG]

23. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Leftover french fries crisped up in a pan with BBQ chicken and cheese
    In the glass: Fatheads Head Hunter

Hops plus fried food is always good. The bitter in the beer (pretty damn bitter btw) was nice against the sweet-ish BBQ sauce as well.

[​IMG]

24. ssam

ssam Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 California

[​IMG]
    Baked chicken with Jamaican Jerk spices and roasted vegetables.

More Cream ale. Look at how clear it has gotten!

25. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Red wine braised chicken with crispy skin, green beans, and a braising liquid gravy
    In the glass: Petrus Aged Pale

This was a great pairing. The gravy was rich from the reduced liquid and the roux so the Petrus helped cut that and refresh the palate. Similar concept for the chicken thigh. Just a great meal and a really nice pairing to balance the dish. Nice little Sunday night!

[​IMG]

26. Henamonster

Henamonster Initiate (51) Feb 2, 2007 California

In the glass: Choc. Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Co.
    On the plate: Homemade lemon buttercream french macarons

[​IMG]

Both on their own are spectacular... paired together? Kind of a miss. The macarons were ultimately too tart and sweet for the subtle chocolate of the Yeti which kind of dulled the Yeti somewhat. If I were to try the chocolate pairing again, I might seek out a more aggressive choc. beer (Rogue's Double Chocolate stout? Maybe Prairie Bomb?) Or I might seek out something like Stone's Chipotle Porter.

27. bpgpitt10

Where to start!?!? The picture is badass. Those macaroons sound amazing. Are those tough to make? They are one of my favorites, but I've never considered making them before.

Bummer the pairing wasn't great though. What about pairing with a Belgian tripel? Seems the lemon would match well and the sweetness in the tripel would help balance the tart. I'm not a huge fan of chocolate and lemon together personally.

callmeishmALE and Henamonster like this.
  28. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

I don't know where to start. I'll be nice..
    Reduction/pan sauces don't use a roux. . . .
    Wheres a starch?

and an aoli is not mayo with stuff mixed in.

29. ssam

ssam Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 California

Just fyi, that wasn't nice.

First of all, reduction/pan sauces use a roux if you PUT a roux in them, which is perfectly legal. Also, most gravies have a roux added to thicken them.

Second, beer is liquid bread-- you don't always need to have starch.

Also, did he even mention anything about an aoli?

I hope the view is nice up on that high horse.

Badfish, jon432 and markdrinksbeer like this.
  30. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

Technically he's correct that a pan sauce/reduction doesn't need a roux because it thickens as it reduces. That said, this is a beer blog and we have enough to bicker about when it comes to beer so let's not be dicks about the semantics of pan sauces vs gravies. Also, where'd the aioli (he spelled it wrong….) comment come from? I don't recall anyone debating that aioli was just flavored mayo. Maybe aoli is however.

Badfish likes this.
  31. bpgpitt10

I don't mind being corrected because cooking is a journey, and I'm still learning. That being said, you are wrong.

"I don't know where to start.": I'd suggest properly reading what I wrote.

Reduction/Pan sauce: I called this a gravy. See Ruhlman and Alton Brown. See this search result, or this. Gravy can include a thickening agent (roux) or not. MANY (I'd venture 80%+) include the roux. I didn't call it a pan sauce or a reduction... because that's not what I made. I mentioned the reduced braising liquid was what was added to the gravy. That was reduced DURING the braising due to using this technique. Non-traditional for sure, but an inventive way to braise while keeping the skin crispy.

Aioli: I'm assuming you are referring to the taco I made above. I never said mayo, did I? I made a traditional aioli (see here) from scratch using garlic, lemon juice, egg yolks, and a mix of canola/EVOO (all olive and I think it overpowers the flavor). I also added in a bit of pickle juice and minced pickles. Hence, pickle aioli. Frankly though, we are splitting hairs with aioli and mayo definitions since they've become very blurred over time.

"Where's a starch?": This is where I knew you were just being a dick. Who f-ing cares? I cooked a very rich meal at home that included dark meat, chicken skin, and a gravy. I chose to leave off a starch to cut down a few calories. This was literally you just trying to be an ass.

Mellow out. Don't be wrong when you try to show someone up. And cook / post productively to this thread. We'll all be better off for it.

Badfish, aoampm, swolepeer and 5 others like this.
  32. Henamonster

Henamonster Initiate (51) Feb 2, 2007 California

Thanks! Next time I make them I'll have to try the tripel. As-is, the lemon just overpowered the subtleties of the chocolate.

The macarons weren't too difficult to make, however they are extremely finicky. Too much air in the meringue and they'll explode, too much moisture and they'll crack, too little of anything and they'll collapse... ugh. It sounds like a hassle, but in reality you just need to measure everything precisely (7 ounces of powdered sugar, 4 ounces almond meal, etc.) and slowly amp up the power on the mixer. For Christmas, my wife gave me a macaron cooking class, so this was the first time I tried it on my own. Now that I have the technique I want to try experimenting outside of the traditional flavors (maybe a peanut butter whip, maple bacon and maybe even something more savory than sweet.) Overall, it was a fun (and extremely methodical) process and pretty damned rewarding once you open that oven and see they didn't crack! The filling was the easiest part.

Probably the biggest tip I came away with is that air is your enemy (and ironic for something that needs to be whisked into a frothy meringue.) Once you have the shells on the cookie sheets, raise the pan up about six inches from the countertop and slam them straight down four times. Then "fist bump" the bottom of the pan a few times to get out any excess air. As long as you didn't overbeat the meringue, this should remove the air pockets and prevent cracking/explosions.

bpgpitt10 likes this.
  33. bpgpitt10

Not gonna lie... this sounds like my nightmare. I think I'll stick to buying them for the time being. I'm not much of a baker at all so this seems like an aggressive first try. Maybe I'll recruit my fiance to lead on this one where I can just help though. Btw, your experimental ideas for flavors sound awesome.

Henamonster likes this.
  34. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Here was Easter dinner 2014, shared with a friend who came over for dinner tonight.

In the glasses: Ommegang's Hennepin
    On the plate: fruit kabobs consisting of strawberries, kiwis, cantalopes, and pineapples

[​IMG]

The beer led into dinner after we sampled the fruit kabobs which consisted of:

[​IMG]

(ham with caramelized mustard glaze)

[​IMG]

(green bean casserole)

and

[​IMG]

(cheesey scalloped potatoes)

After a good hour of digesting that between me, my wife, my friend and my son.
    We dove into this.

In the glasses: Ommegang's Three Philosophers
    On the plate: pecan tartlets

[​IMG]

It was a mighty fine day! Cheers, BA's! :slight_smile::wink:

35. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Thyme/rosemary red beans with caramelized onions and Italian chicken sausage
    In the glass: Saison DuPont

Tasty meal with a decent pairing. The herbs paired nicely with the beer and it was fresh enough to mellow the heat that was in the dish. Not too shabby for a super quick meal to put together (I used canned beans).
    [​IMG]

36. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Jalapeno chicken sausage and peppers with a cauliflower puree and thyme oil
    In the glass: Perennial Regalia

The Regalia was a pretty tasty beer on it's own. However, the chicken sausage was spicier than I expected so it hid some of the nuances of the beer. I think a pale ale or even a wheat beer might have been the better option for a pairing.

[​IMG]

37. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,113) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

In the glass: Firestone Walker's Double Jack DIPA
    A crisp take on the style, impressively tight, never sloppy or too sweet
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: tomato and red onion "salad" using olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, and balsamic vinegar...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...and homemade-style macaroni and cheese, here featuring gruyere and aged cheddar cheeses.

The salad invariably ended up mixed in with the mac 'n' cheese, as the crisp onions and tangy tomato were a great partner to the creamy cheeses and chewy pasta. The beer was a terrific accompaniment. It neither overshadowed nor was lost to the food. It had enough body to match the meal, and all the flavors paired nicely, providing lots of contrasts and compliments.

One of my better food and beer pairings.

38. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Wheat beer poached cod over a sage palenta topped with a pistachio crumb. EVOO finishing drizzle.
    In the glass: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

The wheat beer was really nice. I wish I had a lemon on hand to squeeze over the fish because I think that would have helped further tie everything together, but it was great regardless.

[​IMG]

Badfish, aoampm, zookerman182 and 3 others like this.
  39. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

ISO dat meal! (wiping drool from my mouth).

bpgpitt10 likes this.
  40. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska

Sierra Nevada's Ovila Dubbel with some Christoper Elbow Fleur de Sel dark chocolate Turtles. While the Dubbel had lots of dark bread and chocolate notes, and the chocolate was salty with lots of caramel, together the Turtles brought out a lot of bubblegum flavors in the Dubbel that were not there on it's own. Kind of enhanced the yeast if you will. Decadent pairing for a calm Sunday evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.