Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Sharing Your Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Greywulfken, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Bierlerner

One the plate: Three Philosophers braised lamb shanks, with greens, potatoes, and bread
    In the glass: Ommegang Three Philosophers

The meat was very tender and flavorful. The sauce was made with the beer broth and with some added butter and dried cherries. The beer paired very well with the hint of gameness of the meat, the hint of brown sugar was great with the browned part of the meat, and the herb/spice mixture worked well with the spices and cherries of the beer. Overall, great meal. I bet a porter would have been nice too, adding a little robust flavor to it.

[​IMG]

2. queens1130

Beer Trader

Last night a few is us got complimentary dinner & beer pairings at Lazy Ox downtown, so here it goes!

First course:
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: Country terrine made with ox tail, duck, rabbit, cranberry, & some grain mustard
    In the glass: Nobility pale ale

Second course:
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: braised short rib, celery root purée, bloomsdale spinach, & horseradish creme
    In the glass: Black Market steam ale

Third course:
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: butterscotch pudding with salted Carmel & creme
    In the glass: Unibroue apple ale

Overall, fan freaking tasting. What I really appreciated was how pairing the apple ale with the dessert played with a salty & sweet combination & the apple bringing out another dimension to an otherwise simple dessert!

Greywulfken and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  3. MarkIntihar

My man!

Just read through (read: looked at all the pictures) this whole thread for the first time, and I gotta say - I'm fuckin' hungry.

BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  4. nanobrew

Damn your food has been looking good! When is my invite for dinner? I will bring a BB4D!

5. pschul4

Beer Trader

On the plate: Whole grain angel hair pasta with diced cubed steak sauted with pablano peppers and roasted garlic tomato sauce. Some crumbled feta cheese sprinkled on top for good measure
    In the glass: Nothing yet. But for dessert I'll be having the Cismontane Black's Nocturne that was in the box from BdubleEdubleRUN today. Thank you Brett!
    [​IMG]

6. BlueRogue

Burgers and Tumblers.

[​IMG]

7. BlueRogue

Shredded BBQ chicken and corn bread + Founders Porter.

[​IMG]

8. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

In the glass: Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue) 2012
    On the plate: sfogliatelle
    [​IMG]
    Belgian beer and Italian pastry. Good combo.

ehammond1 likes this.
  9. SupremePie

Pardon the lack of picture but here it goes:
    In the glass: Russian River Salvation
    In the mug: Homemade Broccoli cheese soup featuring three different Vermont cheddars (Shelburne Farms, and 2 varieties of Grafton,) some aged Gruyere, and a dash of Consider Bardwell Farms.

Greywulfken and ehammond1 like this.
  10. RustyP

Beer Trader

On the plate: Palak paneer (sans paneer...couldnt find any), creamy curried lentil soup, and homemade/freshly griddled naan.
    In the glass: Jester King Le Petit Prince (farmhouse table beer) 2.9% ABV
    [​IMG]

The soup was definitely the star of the show, with the naan coming in a very very close second. I had to hold back on the spices a bit (for the Mrs), which made a subtle yet flavorful beer like Le Petit Prince a great pairing option. There was just enough hoppy bite to fight back against the bit of curry heat present in the soup, and the citrusy notes helped to brighten the spinach a bit. So glad I have tons of leftovers :)

11. queens1130

Beer Trader

Made some ribs for yesterdays BBQ, first timers & not at expert at cooking but here you go:

[​IMG]
    Beef Ribs rubbed with cracked black pepper & salt before being drenched in Sierra Nevada Narwhal Stout & Original BBQ sauce

[​IMG]
    16hrs after putting together initial marinade, components look to have integrated very well

[​IMG]
    The final product served with a side of cheesy mac, hawaiian roll & (as expected) a glass of Sierra Nevada Narwhal stout. Meat was delicious stick sweet. Flavor was on par, would possibly try a different imperial stout next, the Narwhal gave it a touch of bitterness. Also, cooked the ribs for 2hrs, would want to try pork baby back next time & move the ribs up to the top rack of the grill to give it a little less char, cheers!

12. bpgpitt10

A bunch of recent quick made meals but my gf took the pics and didn't include the beers... my bad. Here we go anyhow!

In the glass: DC Brau The Citizen
    On the plate: Curry chicken w/ mushrooms and snow peas
    Pairing --> So this time The Citizen really came to life with the pairing. I don't think I really love the beer, but the heat with the mild hops and slight yeasty/sweetness actually came out and paired well. Awesome pairing given how terrible I thought the beer was with my tomato soup and grilled cheese.
    [​IMG]

In the glass: Rochefort 10
    On the plate: Fried brown rice with bacon, veggies, and egg
    Pairing --> I put a bunch of umami style flavorings to really up the "meatiness" of this dish which seemed to work. The pairing was pretty solid given the sweet to play off the spicey Sriracha and the malt to work with the meaty flavors. I think a brown ale would have been much better though frankly. The Rochefort's booze didn't have enough fat to cut through on this to really make it a great pairing.
    [​IMG]

In the glass: DC Brau The Citizen
    On the plate: Pesto w/ toasted walnuts. Side arugula salad with homemade pear vinaigrette.
    Pairing --> The pairing was good but not great which I sort of expected. I really wanted to pair a saison with the pesto to pick up on the herbal qualities of it, but I didn't have any around. The Citizen (my last one in the fridge) was nice with the hops but the yeasty/sweet qualities just weren't awesome with either the pasta itself or the salad. Not bad, but I wouldn't do that pairing again. I actually have a glass of Sav Blanc that I switched over to after dinner and the after taste of the pesto is making the Sav Blanc surprisingly herbaceous and awesome.
    [​IMG]

13. UCLABrewN84

Looks like someone just volunteered to bring food to the next bottleshare. ;)

queens1130 likes this.
  14. RustyP

Beer Trader

LEFTOVERS!!

On the plate: Naan pizza w/ curry lentil "sauce", spinach, tomato, garlic, ricotta, and curry shrimp.
    In the glass: RealAle Signature Hop Pale Ale

[​IMG]

Last night's quasi-Indian dinner paired with Le Petit Prince (aka - saison light) was pretty good, but I definitely prefer something a bit hoppier with spicy food. The Hercules hops in this brew had a nice peachy-yet-earthy taste that complimented the sweet & spicy shrimp (marinated in yogury, honey, and punjab curry powder) very well.

Greywulfken and bpgpitt10 like this.
  15. queens1130

Beer Trader

haha maybe after a few more trial runs & nailing down the recipe. next guinea pigs will be my family, we'll see what dad thinks :D

ehammond1 likes this.
  16. bpgpitt10

In the glass: Anchor Christmas 2012
    On the plate: Hot dog fried wild rice w/ cinnamon and cumin. Topped with apple cider candied cranberries and ginger.

Ok so I don't really have time with work right now to plan an artful meal, so I've been just grabbing anything we have around and trying to make a one-pot meal in 15 min or less. This meal and the pairing actually turned out freaking awesome. The cinnamon and spice notes in the beer worked really well with the hot dog/rice seasoning. The cranberries tasted more like more tart apple cider which also worked great with the beer. Random as hell!

[​IMG]

17. El_Tortuga

[​IMG]

Wild wood duck O'larange, Spaten Optimator

Greywulfken, ehammond1 and Coldsnack like this.
  18. nanobrew

had an enjoyable meal tonight.

On the plate: Salad with pomegranates and balsamic dressing, green beans and pecans with balsamic and honey sauce, toast with baked garlic, and pasta with roasted peppers and mushrooms.
    In the glass: Scrimshaw Pilsner

[​IMG]

19. UCLABrewN84

Tonight I had a Costco oatmeal raisin cookie with a pour of this year's MOAS and it was pretty awesome.

20. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

Hello, fellow beer and food lovers.

Last night - or, I should say, "yesterday," since it took me so long to finish - I was drinking a Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout (2012) and by nightfall (*night sounds follow*) I was hungry (no surprise there), so I threw in a batch of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls (lol) for me and the wife. Now, she don't drink the beer (but she'll eat the fuckin' cinnamon rolls, though, won't she! lol), but we inhaled the cinnamon rolls during the first 5 minutes of Love Actually... lol

In the glass: BCB Coffee Stout (2012, feat. La Tortuga beans)
    On the plate: cinnamon rolls!
    [​IMG]
    Kind of a no-brainer combo. Of course it's gonna work.

Later... :)

21. BlueRogue

Steak & cheese sandwich, bacon cheddar fries, and Boston Lager.

[​IMG]

22. BeerKangaroo

I need to try this!

23. bpgpitt10

In the glass: Hoegaarden
    On the plate: Beer brined pork loin (honey, Hoegaarden, ginger, garlic) then rubbed with thyme. Served with garlic cous cous with roasted broccoli florets and an au jus, Hoegaarden sauce. Topped with orange zest.

This. Was. Awesome. I haven't had a meat thermometer that works well in a while so actually getting the target temp on the pork was so key. It was so flavorful and melt in your mouth. The spices and the brine worked great with the Hoegaarden. I could have see an herby saison with this as well.

Inspiration credit for this goes to Bierlerner... saw his post about brining pork in another thread and just used what I had on hand to whip this up.
    [​IMG]

24. Bierlerner

In the Glass: Marshall Brewing "Big Jamoke" porter
    On the plate: chili-3way (spaghetti, chili, cheese)

The beer was a perfect accompaniment for both going in the chili and paired with it. Good roasty and chocolatey porter with a beefy and spicy chili. Good for the coldest of evenings

[​IMG]

Greywulfken likes this.
  25. Neffbeer

Enjoyed some Chicken Korma, Saag, and dal last night (all from scratch!):

[​IMG]

Paired it with:

[​IMG]

26. BlueRogue

Made a chocolate peppermint loaf last night which I enjoyed with a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout during the Falcons/Lions game.

[​IMG]

BeerKangaroo, Greywulfken and RustyP like this.
  27. BlueRogue

'Twas the morning before Christmas and all through the kitchen. I was making a breakfast I knew would be bitchin'

Eggnog french toast with gingerbread syrup and a Founders Breakfast Stout.

[​IMG]

28. RustyP

Beer Trader

Brinner: The Christmas edition

My family's Christmas lunch is basically a giant store-bought platter of deli meats, cheeses, and other sandwich "fixins". My wife's family celebrates with lil smokeys in barbecue sauce and a ton of various sweets. After a day full of the aforementioned, we both agreed that a hot, home-cooked meal was in order this evening. Since none of the local grocery stores (no, not even Walmart) were open by the time we got home, we worked with what we already had in the fridge. Thus....BRINNER ("breakfast-for-dinner", for the uninitiated).

On the plate: scrambled eggs w/ chives, oven-baked bacon, sour cream pancakes with pecans grown in my grandparents' backyard

In the glass: Highland Brewing Co. - Thunderstruck Coffee Porter

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas, and Cheers!

29. bpgpitt10

In the glass: Founders Porter
    On the plate: Korean bulgogi salad with grilled romaine and a hot dressing (Founders porter, soy, sesame oil, ginger, onion, white vinegar, and sriracha)

The pairing was ok with this, but not awesome. I think something a little less assertive like a pilsner would probably have been a better match. I don't know... Asian flavors are just hard for me to get a solid beer pairing other than more mild flavored beers.

[​IMG]

30. bpgpitt10

In the glass: Hardywood Gingerbread Stout
    On the plate: Gingerbread cookies!

What can I say, it tasted great together as expected!

[​IMG]

Greywulfken, queens1130 and ehammond1 like this.
  31. match1112

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pizza crust is made from spent grains from a wheat beer, first time trying this so i'm not sure.
    used a red thai curry paste instead of pizza sauce.
    yellow bell peppers, roma tomatoes, artichoke hearts, fresh basil leaves from the window sill garden, peperoncini and slices of fresh mozzarella.

32. RustyP

Beer Trader

After a long day of recovering from a nasty cold and then playing some disc golf (I mean, what's a better cure for a cold than getting sweaty in the cold?), I had a hankerin' for some Indian food.

On the plate: Chicken Tikka Masala and lightly-saffroned basmati rice w/ clove and cinnamon
    In the glass: Bells Two Hearted Ale

[​IMG]

I know that an IPA with Indian food isn't the most creative pairing, but it was deeeelicious! Unfortunately, I had to settle for store-bought garam masala. The only ingredient I lacked was cardamom pods, and I wasn't about to pay $13 for a tiny bottle at the supermarket when garam masala was only $3.99 (I'm being thrifty this year ;) ).

Cheers and Happy New Year!

33. MickJ0nes

Traditional pork and sauerkraut today... sampled lindemans pomme, sam smith's apple organic and petrus ouid with the meal. I wish I could have had some proper gueuze. However the old mans homemade sauerkraut stole the show. If you want to take it to the next level learn how to make proper sauerkraut.

Greywulfken likes this.
  34. bpgpitt10

In the glass: Ithaca Flower Power
    On the plate: Homemade NY style pizza... dough cold fermented 3 days

Got a pizza steel for Christmas and it absolutely blew using a pizza stone out of the water. These pies came out in 4-5 minutes per pie and have awesome leopard spotting on the bottom of the pizza (damn near impossible to accomplish on a stone). The pairing was obviously very solid... IPA + Pizza = Awesome.
    [​IMG]

35. bpgpitt10

In the glass: Cantillon Bruocsella Grand Cru
    On the plate: Beef and asiago cheese meat pies (meat simmered in Port City Porter then turned into a gravy for inside of the pie)

The beer didn't have a ton of tartness to it which made it just ok as a pairing. The pairing with the salad was actually way better because of the pear vinaigrette and the citrus in the beer. Not bad overall, but I would have liked more tart to offset the richness of the puff pasty and the meat.
    [​IMG]

... sorry for the glut of posts lately. I feel like I'm taking over on this thread (which I never intended to do). I've just really, really been enjoying the cooking w/ beer and beer pairing aspect lately.

36. futura123

Thanks for keeping this post alive. I enjoy every single post. I always tell myself to take some pictures of food and beer but too lazy. Maybe I can do one without the picture:

In the glass: New Glarus Serendipity
    On the plate: Garlic stir-fry noodle plus scallion & garlic stir-fry lobster.

The pairing sounds odd at first but actually works very well. The crisp apple tartness cut through the oil & fat of the dish and oaky vanilla note and complexity compliment garlic/scallion in the dish. The sweetness aftertaste brings a nice freshness to the palate.

Greywulfken, ehammond1 and bpgpitt10 like this.
  37. bpgpitt10

Uh if you are cooking things like this, you need to start taking some pictures!!

38. ehammond1

Do not apologize. Really enjoy your posts. More the merrier. Cheers!

39. Henamonster

I'll 2nd and 3rd everybody else. I'm digging the photos of the food and beer, so keep it coming. I've kind of fallen by the wayside of late with the beer/food photos, so it's good to see some inspiration.

Greywulfken and bpgpitt10 like this.
  40. Henamonster

Holidays are over, but I thought I'd post this:

[​IMG]

In the glass: Eagle Rock's Jubilee
    On the paper bag: A combo chex/crispix mix!

The Jubilee surprised me. I was originally thinking I was going to get the standard "spice" of the holiday brews, but this one actually had a fruitcake like sweetness to it (maybe it was the overly salty/savory taste of the chex mix (I'm pretty liberal with the worcestershire sauce) but the two went well together.

Greywulfken and ehammond1 like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe