Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Sharing Your Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Greywulfken, Aug 26, 2012.

1. smakawhat

Subscriber

2. BRZvice

Sunday breakfast consisting of Vanilla Malted Waffles covered with Pure Michigan Maple Syrup and Stone Espresso IRS. The syrup was picked up yesterday at the farmer's market in Frankenmuth, MI.

[​IMG]

3. Zaphog

Beer Trader

Short's Beard of Zeus
    [​IMG]
    with grilled kabobs (bacon wrapped chicken breast, onion, red bell pepper and pineapple on a bed of rice)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Zaphog

Beer Trader

Stone IRS w/ Pepperidge Farm double chocolate Milanos
    [​IMG]

5. UCLABrewN84

That looks fantastic.

ehammond1, futura123 and Zaphog like this.
  6. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

That looks amazing - I would embarrass myself with the way I would polish off that plate (and the beer, too, although less embarrassing there)...

...and your other post with the grilled kabobs wrapped in bacon? Jesus, man, you're eating goooood...

jbakajust1 and Zaphog like this.
  7. JesseMurdock

[​IMG]on the plate: mochiko chicken curry, gyoza, and shoyu ramen

in the glass: anchor steam

this was a heavy, salty meal and needed a beer light enough to balance out the food while flavorful enough to cut through the salty savory curry.

Greywulfken and Hockey_Fan like this.
  8. humulus

On the plate: flank steak, corn on the cob, salsa of mango, tomatoes, scallions, avocado and habaneros.
    In the glass: BrewDog Punk IPA.

[​IMG]

I seared the beef pretty hard, then added butter and spooned it over to mellow down the crust a bit. Only seasoned it with salt and Tellicherry pepper.

The beer went well with both the fruity and spicy flavors of the salsa and the rich butteriness of the beef.

9. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

A serendipitous pairing:
    In the glass: Founders Breakfast Stout - it was just what I was drinking when I got hungry
    On the plate: Red Dragon Roll - left-over take-out from Aki, a local sushi/Asian fusion joint - spicy tuna & tempura crunch inside, topped with fresh tuna
    [​IMG]
    I think the beer and tuna's both hearty flavors stood up to each other, and some of the spice from the spicy tuna left a little zing on the tongue while I drank the stout; the chew and slight crunch of the roll balanced the creamy smoothness of the beer - lots of textures and rich flavors at play.

Now I'm gonna go finish this off.

Peace.

10. Hockey_Fan

On the Plate: Shaker Flank Steak and some brown rice and peas
    In the Glass: Evolution Craft Brewing Co. Exile ESB

[​IMG]

Greywulfken, ehammond1 and Coldsnack like this.
  11. Zaphog

Beer Trader

A nice little lunch after planting my garden.
    Six cheddar grilled cheese sandwich w/ bacon & corn salad and seasoned Roma tomatoes paired with Short's Beard of Zeus IPL.
    [​IMG]

12. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Crispy chicken thigh with fried red potatoes all over a mango salsa
    In the glass: Schlafly's can session IPA

The pairing was solid. The IPA doesn't have a ton of citrus to it so the mango added that into the flavor profile. It was only mildly bitter so it didn't overpower the dish. I'd do it again as a summer treat.
    [​IMG]
    --------------------------------------
    On the plate: Homemade pizza! Topped with salami sliced thin
    In the glass: Evolution Lot 3 IPA & Summerfest & Hell or High Watermelon

The lot 3 was a great pairing with the beer. Solid bitterness and a pretty solid malt backbone to it. Straight forward pairing but better than a lot of the more citrusy IPAs. Summerfest and Hell or High were just nicely drinkable. We made 4-5 pizzas all with varying ingredients so it was good to have a few beers with basic flavors as well.
    [​IMG]

13. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

You can't imagine how badly I want to eat that pizza.

bpgpitt10 and Zaphog like this.
  14. tx_beer_man

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

So darn good! Beer's improved with the past seven or eight months, and wow -- what a treat.​

15. tx_beer_man

Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Had two mini fillets last night that I marinated (1) Saint Arnold Divine Reserve 13 and (2) Real Ale Brewer's Cut 002 Black Belgian Quad. Have to say the DR13 was much more smooth but the toasty black of the BC was mighty nice as well. Only other ingredients were garlic powder, plenty of black pepper and salt.

Greywulfken, ehammond1 and Hockey_Fan like this.
  16. Irishace9

Beer Trader

BRZvice likes this.
  17. bpgpitt10

Pretty simple. I don't do recipes so here is about what you should do...
    1. Cut the chicken into chunks and dry with a paper towel to remove excess water. Season the chicken with salt and cajun seasoning** (see below)
    2. Get a pain to medium - medium high heat. Add a neutral oil (canola, grapeseed) then add the chicken. Let the chicken release itself from the pan (brown up well on one side so it will crisp a bit). Flip the chunks and do it again. Remove the chicken and set aside
    3. Add in hearty veggies to your liking. At this step I added in onions, red pepper, and orange pepper/
    4. Meanwhile, add half and half to a small sauce pot to warm up. Do not get it to a boil, but you want it relatively hot. Add cajun seasoning and keep tasting until it's "cajuny" enough. Salt to taste as well
    5. Add the chicken back to the pan along with any veggie you want to cook a small amount (broccoli in my case). After a minute or two, take COLD dry white wine and deglaze the pan. Scrape up all the brown bits from the chicken and turn the heat off. Cold wine helps cool down the pan which is good because a raging hot pan wouldn't be good for the cream.
    6. Add the cubed up fresh tomato at this point
    7. Add the cream mixture slowly and stir as you do. Really you could dump from the pan into a big bowl, add the cajun sauce and toss. Either way works. Point here is just to incorporate.
    The "fettuccine" cooks super fast so I recommend just getting the water boiling and zucchini chopped then waiting til you are done with the sauce/chicken mixture. You'll be set in about 3 minutes total time once it's in the water.
    1. Slice the ends off then slice into thin strips (1/8th-ish). Personally, I used the slicer side of square grater box then stacked them and cut them into the fettuccine with a knife. A mandolin set to not SUPER thin would be a great option.
    2. Add to boiling, salted water for about 2 minutes. Do NOT overcook this or it'll just be mush. Dump into a colander immediately when ready and cool with cold water to stop the cooking.
    3. Put on the plate then cover with the sauce mixture.
    **So the key on the cajun seasoning is to not get a seasoning that already has salt in it. So Tony Chachere's would be a bad choice. The reason is because it takes quite a bit of cajun seasoning to properly "cajun" the cream, the sauce will get way over salted before you get to the right level of cajun flavor.

Irishace9, tx_beer_man and futura123 like this.
  18. humulus

On the plate: mussels cooked in Guinness and heavy cream with white bread.
    In the glass: Guinness.

[​IMG]

19. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Masitas de puerco (sour orange, cumin, crispy pork shoulder) with carmelized orange onions and black beans. Topped with a fried egg and cilantro
    In the glass: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Did this for brunch so wanted something light on the hot day. The pairing was decent, but not exactly great. It was refreshing and the cilantro popped with it, but the richness of the pork and egg yolk overpowered the beer a bit. Still, it hit the spot.

[​IMG]

20. Henamonster

Stout and cream? That sounds incredible.

21. nanobrew

recipe please. I love mussels but don't get to eat them often because the wife cannot stand them. I want to collect some good mussel recipes to have on hand for when I am on my own for dinner

ehammond1 and tx_beer_man like this.
  22. humulus

Sure!

Here goes:

1 knob of butter
    1 onion or a couple of shallots
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    1 cup heavy cream
    400gram mussels
    1 can of Guinness or other stout
    Parsley, black pepper, salt
    Baguette.
    Slices of lemon.

Sweat onions and garlic in butter until soft. Add mussels (discarding any that are open if fresh).

Add stout and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper. When mussels start to open, add the cream (should take 6-8 minutes).

Mussels can be removed from sauce while it reduces and add in later, but taste will be increasingly bitter the more the sauce reduces. Chop up the parsley and sprinkle it over. Serve with bread and slices of lemon. Guess a good mayo wouldn't hurt either.

queens1130 and BRZvice like this.
  23. PaulQuinn

On the plate: Grilled salmon, mashed potatoes and some vegetables.
    In the glass: Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace

[​IMG]

Light diner with a light/refreshing beer. Not my favorite Saison, but gets the job done on this pleasant Saturday evening.

24. bpgpitt10

Nice little two course dinner tonight with the fiance. First time ever making scallops and they turned out absolutely perfect. I can't believe how delicious they are with such little fuss to cook them.

On the plate: Seared sea scallops over arugula with a citrus vinaigrette made with honey and Magic hat #9
    In the glass: Magic Hat #9

Great pairing despite the beer not being so great (IMO). It went great with the citrus and it's very mild bitter was a nice balance with the sweet scallops.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------------
    On the plate: Chorizo, white wine mussels with cilantro and garlic baguette
    In the glass: Goose Island Sofie

Solid pairing. Nice balance to the chorizo and picked up nicely with the hints of citrus from the sav blanc as well as the herby qualities from the cilantro in the cooking liquid.
    [​IMG]

25. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

I'm always flat-out impressed with the stuff you make - just that you think/know to make masitas de puerco is awesome.

Cheers!

jbakajust1, bpgpitt10 and futura123 like this.
  26. quirkzoo

27. UCLABrewN84

28. quirkzoo

ehammond1 likes this.
  29. ehammond1

ftfy

nanobrew and Zaphog like this.
  30. trxxpaxxs

Beer Trader

Made these over the weekend:

[​IMG]

Chipolte pork tacos paired with a Barrel Aged Four Calling Birds. I probably should have gotten a better shot of the pork, but you get the idea.

31. bpgpitt10

Thanks man! I don't get to cook that frequently so I love doing random/challenging dishes when I actually have time to plan and research a meal (I'm a nerd like that).

jbakajust1 and Greywulfken like this.
  32. Greywulfken

Beer Trader

On the plate: turkey chili w/ black beans, tomato, onion, various seasonings including cayenne pepper; some shredded Mexican-style cheeses, crumbled Xochitl tortilla chips, and a dollop of sour cream
    In the glass: Firestone Walker's German pilsener, Pils
    [​IMG]
    German beer and chili?

I knew the pilsener would probably go with anything - it's an easy-drinking, inoffensive beer - and I was right.
    The chili was delicious, and washing it down with a nice, clean-finishing pils? No problem.

33. Zaphog

Beer Trader

KBS with chocolate coffee Bundt cake
    [​IMG]

34. bpgpitt10

On the plate: Buffalo steak with smoked smash potatoes, kale, porter carmelized onions and a balsamic/blackberry/porter reduction
    In the glass: Alaskan Smoked Porter (2010)

Pairing was great. The smokey in the beer paired awesome with the steak (coffee/chocolate rubbed) as well as the potatoes. The sweet-ish reduction provided some acidity and matched well with the beer as well. I'd definitely do this again. Only complaint is that it seemed to me that the Alaskan Smoked Porter fell off from when I had it with 1 year of age on it. It was a little bit thinner than I remember.

[​IMG]

35. bifrost17

I like your style my friend.

Zaphog likes this.
  36. quirkzoo

Dry Aged Rib Eye, sous-vide to 130°. The sauce is a home-made "Béer"naise. Instead of sherry vinegar I used the Oude Tart. Beer had the perfect acidity to cut through the meat.

[​IMG]

37. JesseMurdock

prosciutto and arugula pizza with a popering hommel belgian ipa. the fruity and peppery notes of the beer complimented the pizza perfectly.

Greywulfken and Zaphog like this.
  38. Zaphog

Beer Trader

Reuben with a Short's Huma Lupa Licious.
    [​IMG]

39. Shagtastic

Trip report please

Zaphog, sliverX and ehammond1 like this.
  40. stx00lax

Beer Trader

Just did paella on the open fire, drinking a weisse weisse baby to pair. Win!

[​IMG]

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe