Great Britain Sheffield Pubs

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Trizzle, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trizzle

Trizzle Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2009 United Kingdom (England)

I'm off to Sheffield for the Snooker this weekend with a mate and we'll be chasing some good pubs and beers. Obviously.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Looks like there's loads of decent pubs.

2. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (3,092) Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

From the U.K. Ba Sheffield field trip the place that stood out for me was the Dada bar
    having said that I did miss out on the Sheffield Tap.

3. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Sheffield? Gotta go with:

Rutland Arms (awesome outdoor drinking area)
    Kelham Island Tavern (ditto)
    Bath Hotel (rustic)
    Sheffield Tap (beerarama and close to the train platform for a quick gettaway)

4. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (2,699) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

For Sheffield, Zimbo knows what he's talking about. I also thought Dada was good (if you like a more modern style of beer bar). The Devonshire Cat is worth a look as well....

5. Trizzle

Trizzle Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2009 United Kingdom (England)

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check them out.

Looks like a good beer town.

6. ReluctantScoop

ReluctantScoop Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

Sheffield Tap is a five-minute walk from the Crucible. Another five mins to the Rutland (great for food as well).

Depending on the sessions you're at, you can fit in the trad Valley of Beer (Harlequin - Fat Cat - Kelham Island Tavern - Wellington). Or catch the 95 bus from the Interchange to Commonside for Hallamshire House; all Thornbridge on cask & keg plus the city's only full size snooker table in a pub.

There may well be a few old faces knocking around there this weekend...

7. surfadelic23

surfadelic23 Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2005 Florida

I gotta get to Sheffield... b/w this and reports from other beery friends it's so on the radar!

8. ReluctantScoop

ReluctantScoop Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

I had an Alternative Sheffield trip last weekend, visiting places I hadn't been to before.

Beauchief Hotel at Dore (about three mins on the train from Sheff) has a cellar bar run bu Thornbridge with a great suntrap garden.

Cross Scythes at Norton (30 minute walk away) is Thornbridge + guests. Plus Bracia, Heather Honey etc in the fridge. Plus hot pork cobs on a Saturday. Plus a billiard table.

Stags Head in Sharrow Vale (30 minute walk again) is Thornbridge. Plus black pudding deep-fried in Thornbridge Lord Marples bitter.

A walk that could be extended up to Hallamshire House (all Thornbridge, full-sized snooker table).

Great if the weather's good and you fancy a crawl out of the ordinary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe