Shhh...it's a secret...a Stone Soup Secret

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by blitheringidiot, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,805) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Please do! I am in the none category :slight_smile:

2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,797) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

This will likely be my last Stone Soup, so I thought I'd try to splurge a little this time around (well, at least for me this will be a splurge - in comparison to what some folks will bring, I'm sure this is nothing).

Growler of Stone Best By IPA.

4 vintages of Abyss (the dreaded 2009, along with the 2010, 2011 and 2012)

HOTD Matt, Michael and Adam from the Wood

3. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

a couple bottles of Cantillon - probably Kriek, Classic Geuze, Rose de Gambrinus
    Maron Acidifie
    Sour Guava Grove
    possibly a Beatification

sour power, yo

not sure what my pluses are bringing.

anyone interested in finding out if my 2009 Mirror Mirror is infected? =D

John_M and CanConPhilly like this.
  4. zekeman17

zekeman17 Crusader (736) Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

5. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 New Jersey

I've had the Lindley 2012 . It's a great solid beer. Not too much raspberry.

6. Annesemj

Annesemj Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2010 California

i'll be there. am i considered a "pro"? not sure what i'm gonna bring yet, gotta search the cellar.

7. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I've had both infected and "good" bottles of the 2009 Mirror Mirror. Infected versions are REALLY awful!

8. DaGrizz

Can't decide what I'll be bringing. I've got a bunch of things I've been waiting to open:

Some Funky Buddha bottles
    Olde Hickory Irish Walker
    Hardywood BB GBS
    Box of Chocolate
    Kane 365
    Etc.

Really can't decide, so I'll let it be a day of decision.

9. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Devotee (422) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

Ah shucks I would love to go but my beer cellar is non existent so maybe I will plan on going next year and bring some Italian beers because hey I am spreading the word!

(I was actually thinking of starting an Italian beer tasting club heeheh)

10. SPRichard

SPRichard Devotee (424) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Most likely bringing a 2012 Mother Of All Storms and something else that I haven't figured out yet

11. goldenmonkey1

goldenmonkey1 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2010 Pennsylvania

I'll be brining a Half Acre Big Hugs (2011). And a couple others that I haven't figured out yet. Need to check the cellar. 2010 Black Ops maybe? Something from the Dark Hallow Barrel House I picked up in VA last month? ...Not exactly sure.

pants4 likes this.
  12. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Seriously. Don't let that stop you. In case it isn't apparent by now, there will be WAY MORE beer available than anyone can possibly drink. In my experience, there could be twice the number of folks in attendance and there would still be a lot of left over beer.

My recommendation would be to simply stop by your local; grab something that looks interesting, and just bring it. No one is going to check what you brought to decide whether or not it's sufficiently worthy (if that's what you're worried about). Just come... say hi to everyone, and enjoy yourself.

13. DaGrizz

That's the spirit and oh so true. My first year was 3 years ago and knew no one. I was mildly intimidated walking into the place with some shelf beers I had picked up on my way over. No one judged me no one snickered. Everyone I talked to seem to really appreciate the beers I brought. It was eye opening. Last year I did a tad bit better at preparing over the year. This year I've been trading and building a cellar like crazy. Got some goodies to bring. :slight_smile:

Giovannilucano, John_M and Squidly like this.
  14. Squidly

Squidly Aspirant (248) Nov 26, 2006 New Jersey

If I wasn't already committed for another event on the same day, I'd have come for sure. Remember to take and post pics!

15. blitheringidiot

blitheringidiot Poo-Bah (1,926) Dec 16, 2003 Pennsylvania

you are a "pro" if you work in the beer biz. you get a fancy shmansy "Beer Royalty" gold crown. ooo la la

16. listenatjoes

listenatjoes Initiate (141) Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've been consistently pleased with brews from Westbrook and haven't seen them show up in Philly yet so I'll bring some of those. Selecting from Citrus Ninja Exchange, Dark Helmet, Farmhouse IPA, Bearded Farmer Saison.

17. hippityhops85

hippityhops85 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 Pennsylvania

I am, of course, going.

Right now I'm thinking about bringing some King Henry and a bottle of Fantome Sante-12!. Pretty sure not many people have had the Sante 12. Suposedly it tastes like feet. I'm excited.

tubbnik likes this.
  18. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

anything that Etre Gourmet states as "should not be consumed" is something i must drink. stat. hahaha. thanks for bringing these. i'm excited.

19. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

"Suposedly it tastes like feet."

Wooohoooo!!!! Now you're talking. I love pretty much anything by Fantome anyway (the weirder the better), but this sounds like heaven! :-)

20. gueuzegeek

gueuzegeek Disciple (309) Aug 11, 2003 New Jersey

I am sooooo looking forward to this! I am bringing something fun (or at least I hope so!). I missed last year due to some long forgotten event that was NOT this. RULE OF THUMB for newbees: Bring at as much as you think you would drink if you were bringing beer for yourself to consume (extra is always okay too - you never know, you might find yourself in a position to beer-trade!!).

see ya! :grinning:

Squidly likes this.
  21. gueuzegeek

mmmmmmmmm Foote de Fantome!

22. gueuzegeek

Yes please, I am just getting over a cold, so an infection would be a nice change of pace!

ThoreauLikeAGirl likes this.
  23. baybum

baybum Defender (626) Feb 10, 2011 Pennsylvania

24. gueuzegeek

Maybe I should bring a few that might have failed the test of time. I will make sure I taste it first!!

25. mr1581

mr1581 Initiate (136) Jul 3, 2006 Arizona
    Trader

still trying to figure out what i'm gonna bring.. a dry dock bligh's maybe moat water

26. DaGrizz

mr1581 - Be advised I am planning on bringing a Moat Water (there is always room for more then one) but just wanted you to know (in case it was your only bottle)

27. mr1581

mr1581 Initiate (136) Jul 3, 2006 Arizona
    Trader

thats cool...i'll just bring something different..

28. blitheringidiot

Yes. A good rule of thumb is to bring what YOU would consume in a four hour stretch.

29. Annesemj

Annesemj Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2010 California

i am. i'm looking forward to said crown

30. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (2,059) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Society

Not sure what I'm bringing yet but probably something along the lines of:

Hill Farmstead Arthur
    Lawsons Faystons Maple Imperial Stout
    Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek '05
    Captain Lawrence Rosso e Marrone
    Midnight Sun Berserker
    Homebrew

31. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (226) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

Baybum, the Life & Limb batch 1 is drinkinging mighty fine, opened a bottle at our End of the World party last month.

32. cryme

cryme Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2011 Delaware

Well, I had planned to make the trek up and bring a few bottles of barrel-aged stuff from Evolution since I've met a couple of you in passing, but being on call this weekend+other obligations will keep me home. Maybe next year.

33. DaGrizz

:slight_frown: I LOVE me some Evolution and it may be the only reason I might miss living in Salisbury.

34. baybum

baybum Defender (626) Feb 10, 2011 Pennsylvania

Good to know, thanks. I have 5 bottles left andhadn't open one in about a year. I'll bring at least 1.

35. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

You should consider making the drive down to Max's on Sunday. They're having a big DuClaw vs. Evolution event, with something like 9 or 10 Evolution beers on tap. :-)

36. blitheringidiot

24 Hour count down!:slight_smile:

37. phishphorce

phishphorce Disciple (352) Aug 4, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Had no other reasonable way to get there with my beer where I didnt have to drive. Just made a taxi reservation from east falls to jenkintown.

We are coming to our first one for sure.

Look for me I'll probably be the tallest one in the room.

38. gueuzegeek

Another TIP FOR NEWBEES: Try to be mindful of the fact that some of the bottles are only 12 ounces and rare, so sample judiciously to make sure as many people as possible can taste the wares. I have been to some bottle shares where new people will pick up a bottle and pour themselves a big old pour of half the bottle - that MAY be okay if the bottle has been open for quite a while and people have had their tastes, but otherwise, just look around at the veterans and follow their lead.

koopa likes this.
  39. brewbetter

brewbetter Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2012 Nauru

Funky Buddha!

40. blitheringidiot

and try to NOT let the nametags stick to anything other than your shirt

gueuzegeek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.