Shhh...it's a secret...a Stone Soup Secret

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by blitheringidiot, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 New Jersey

Yes, Saturday was the busiest in my 3 years. I think it WAS a great time however.

2. Rifugium

Rifugium Poo-Bah (6,223) Mar 2, 2009 North Dakota
    Society Trader

Maybe make it two sessions next year? There must be a way to keep it under control without turning it into a *ticketed event*, dare I use the phrase.

3. InspectorBob

InspectorBob Meyvn (1,056) Sep 4, 2009 New Jersey

Here's a thought ..... Last year I went to Imminent Liquidation out by Harrisburg and I liked their set-up. They put the different styles of beer around the room on tables where you had to go from table to table to see what was being offered to drink, also they had busboy tubs with ice to set beers in to keep chilled. The room was big enough where you could walk around quite freely without having to move people out of the way to get something to drink

Going again this year, I'll see how it's set up and ley you know

VonZipper and SPRichard like this.
  4. blitheringidiot

blitheringidiot Poo-Bah (1,926) Dec 16, 2003 Pennsylvania

thanks for the input guys, this is afterall, OUR event

5. phishphorce

phishphorce Disciple (352) Aug 4, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Is it because I'm too big? Its offset by the smallness of my signifigant other. I thought that was acceptable.

6. mr1581

mr1581 Initiate (136) Jul 3, 2006 Arizona
    Trader

^^^ ha..that is true.. although definitely not the issue... had a great time...I found that I was talking with people a lot more than drinking..not sure if it was because the main table was caged off or what.. but i had a great time regardless

7. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (2,059) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Society

People stood around the table and made it hard to access the beers just as much last year IMHO. One thought my buddy grassblue suggested might have some merit... Why not roughly divide the tables into sections for certain styles of beers? Barleywines, RIS's, Spiced Beers, Light beers (saisons, blondes, etc), and Hoppy beers? Of course the sections would have to be clearly marked, but it might help people to find what they are looking for faster which (potentially) could lead to them leaving the table side and freeing up space for others sooner?

The other idea would be to possibly go nuts and rope off a "browsing lane" around the table that is wide enough for a person to stand by the table edge and maybe wide enough for somebody to "pass" safely around them while pouring. The idea that would have to be pushed would be that you aren't to drink your samples while in the roped off area. You are to find, pour, exit the roped area, drink outside of it, and only re-enter when you finish your current pour. I know it seems elaborate and a bit too formalized for an event like this, but it's a thought!

VonZipper likes this.
  8. SPRichard

SPRichard Devotee (424) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Winning the Guinness hat didn't help your case either

mr1581 likes this.
  9. SPRichard

SPRichard Devotee (424) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

I like the idea of making separate tables based on style. When I was looking at the empty bottles on the mantle I saw a bunch that I didn't even know where there until they were empty. These may or may not have been on the general population tables (or just kept low key and I missed them), but when it's 2 people deep at the table it would be nice to just walk up to a style you know you like and start digging.

I talked about the event on Twitter, but most of the people that I follow/follow me are on BA anyway. When the douchebags start showing up, that's when you need to keep it to a select few. Thankfully that didn't happen this year.

Looking forward to next year already

10. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (2,059) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Society

There were a few, but surprisingly less than last year!

11. blitheringidiot

blitheringidiot Poo-Bah (1,926) Dec 16, 2003 Pennsylvania

liking the idea of designated tables. it's getting to the point where that might make sense.

Great ideas. keep 'em comin'

12. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

Hey guys, new to BA and wasn't able to make the Soup as my friend was competing in a Chili competition at The Pope in Philly on Saturday so I had to go support him but I'll throw out my opinion if you care to hear it. As someone who has a lot of experience from throwing some very large parties while in college I think I'm going to side with the person who mentioned keep it strictly BA...though a + 1-2 would be probably be fine. I only say this because when people are "members" per say they tend to behave themselves better and realize that if they act a fool then word will get back to the community and they may not be welcome the next year.

If you allow randoms to attend tastings then you stand a pretty good chance of moochers showing up just to drink/steal expensive beers with no repercussions as they don't know anyone who will call them out afterwards. Plus attendance overflow aside I feel like with an event like this you'd rather be sharing your fancy drinks with people you've spoken to and will speak to again....not random people who you don't and will never hear from again. I don't mean to sound elitist and I'm all about spreading the wealth but the more the merrier doesn't necessarily pertain to a tasting.

Just my two cents.

13. SamuelJackson45

SamuelJackson45 Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

My first time at SS. Hope it's not my last. :-)

14. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,796) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Maybe, but I think you make some good points. So far, I haven't seen any sign of the problem you alluded to. Maybe we've been lucky so far, but knock on wood, I don't think I've seen any outsiders coming by just to mooch from the awesome selection of great beer. Maybe there are some folks who take advantage of the sitatuation (bringing little or nothing, and sucking down all the rarest and most expensive beers on the table), but honestly, I dont fee like I've seen any of that.

I understand the concerns you point to, and I agree they're probably legit, but I also dislike the idea of having to check everyone at the door for their credentials, just to make sure we keep out a couple of "bum rushers." For whatever reason, everyone I've seen at this event, seems to have made it a point to be on their best behavior.

15. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

not all of us have significant others that are cool enough to be on BA :wink:

16. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

Glad to hear it John.

17. hippityhops85

hippityhops85 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 Pennsylvania

Some highlights:
    Matt from HOTD
    Batch 2 Vera Mae
    2001 Chimay Blue
    2007 Thomas Hardy's
    Tired Hands Hand Farm
    New Glarus Serendipity (wow)
    Sour Golden Ale by Backacre Beermakers (I want more of this)

Oh, and sorry for photobombing.

18. mr1581

mr1581 Initiate (136) Jul 3, 2006 Arizona
    Trader

You have Hayden....don't you??

19. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

by the way he talks about me at tired hands when i'm not around... i think you might be right. dude has a sculpture of me made out of empty handfarm bottles that he makes love to on a nightly basis. i seen it.

Centennial likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.