Short's Brewing 2020

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Tripel_Threat, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

Trash Punk is one of my favorite day drinkers!!

2. BWichmann74

While this beer (to me) isn’t anything spectacular it is a nice, solid IPA and absolutely fits an Autumn style of a MI IPA. Cheers Shorts to a nice, locally sourced seasonal IPA!!!

Sparty1224 and Cotton_27 like this.
  3. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Hoppy Holiday sampler has been announced. 18 pack of cans is cool, pumped for Juicy Tree, Liberator, and Double Cat Grass. Not so pumped for batch 10k, yodas blend, and slurm lord.

4. BWichmann74

I’m pretty excited about this. An 18 pack will be more of a commitment and this will be a lot of high ABV IPA’s to sip during the cold season. The only one I’m not psyched about is Slurm Lord so a no brainer for me!

PapaGoose03, Zorak2 and Cotton_27 like this.
  5. Zorak2

Zorak2 Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

I actually like that Yoda's Blend changes year to year since it is a blend of all the others in the pack. Last years was really good with Good Humans and Spruce.

Cotton_27 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  6. Zorak2

I really hoped they just pushed them to next year. The schedule was pretty busy for the end of the year plus Hoppy Holidays has been released in November the past two years as well.

Cotton_27 likes this.
  7. Zorak2

The 18pk is going to take a while for me to finish mixed in with all the other big releases we see from everyone else around Black Friday haha. Only thing about the Hoppy Holiday's I'm bummed about is no kick off party at JB's Smokehouse. That was always a nice night out the past few years.

8. Cotton_27

Trader

I have been a Shorts fan for close to a decade, and I dont ever recall a full month (October 2020) with only 1 specialty release(Pure Michigan Autumn IPA) and it's not like multiple seasonal beers came out. Sticky and Mule beer both came out last month. I agree with @Tripel_Threat and hope they're not having issues.

PapaGoose03, Zorak2 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  9. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Slurm Lord is a surprise. I don't mind it as much, as far as Short's hazies go for me it's just below Step Into the Haze and light years ahead of Slurm.

Batch 10k, however, I would trade in a heartbeat for 5 or 8k. Something about that particular Brut leaves me with a headache.

Cotton_27 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  10. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Well, I tapped into my bottle of Ephemera tonight and I've found a second wine-barrel aged ale I'd have again. It's quite fantastic, the saison base really gets complimented rather than steamrolled by the wine flavors.

Zorak2 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I opened my bottle tonight. I just reread your post #380 in this thread to remind myself of how Short's describes the beer and was surprised to see them say the beer was aged in oak wine barrels. The oak came thru nicely but I didn't detect wine so it must be another mild-tasting white wine. But I liked that barrel!

Getting past the barrel/wine character I detected something different in the malt taste which I didn't really like. After reading Short's description above saying the beer was brewed with Spelt, I'm guessing that's the unusual taste. I don't drink beers very often that have Spelt so I can't be sure that's what it was, but something was unusual. Still, it's a beer that I'd explore again.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  12. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Yes! The Spelt was something different, and I think it gave the brew a different feel as well.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  13. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Shorts put out a statement on social saying the demand for their shelfies didn't leave room for the special releases that will not be brewed this year.
    I really didn't think their shelfies were selling that well, but that's what they said.

Zorak2, GuyFawkes, Jaycase and 4 others like this.
  14. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

At least they said they were postponing and not canceling the releases, so we'll get them next year.

15. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

Some heavy hitters in this one and an 18 pack! Wonder how much this will cost.

Cotton_27 likes this.
  16. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Just a guess, but they probably wouldn't want to make it too much than past Hoppy Holidays, around 25 - $30. With Yoda just a blend of whatever's left of the rest and Juicy Tree, Liberator, and Slurm usually going for 12.99 to 14.99 a six pack in my area, I would guess $40 to $45. Even at that price some folks might balk at it, though.
    I would usually get to packs a year, but if it is much more, I'll have to stick to one.

Hoptometrist likes this.
  17. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

I saw that and I'm curious as to your opinion- could you elaborate?

Since 2018ish, I've been floored by the influx of breweries distributing their product, everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE.

So, in regards to the indepedent on-premise, I expected more mature breweries to take a hit. Consumers are all about trying something new, nowadays, especially with the single selection. It's crazy.

That being said, chain stores generally only allow certain skus in, so the established craft have an advantage. Prices are competitive, too.

With Covid, I feel more consumers are buying their beer alongside their groceries. I can only imagine what Meijer's numbers are like, these days..

A fascinating time.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  18. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Official announcement for Jaw Jacker:

[​IMG]

19. Zorak2

I hope there is more. I drank about a case already, but havent seen any in the wild this whole month. I have just enough left to get me through Halloween.

Cotton_27 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. PapaGoose03

Society

Either it's sold out or seeing uneven or late distro because I haven't even seen this beer yet. But I haven't really been looking for it either.

Cotton_27 likes this.
  21. PapaGoose03

Society

My store got this Hoppy Holidays pack today but I didn't pop on it. $38.99 plus tax/dep.

22. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Every time this thread pops up, I’m afraid it is to cancel Spruce Pilsner.

23. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Super Hoppy Holidays hit a shop near me. 34.99, right in the sweet spot. They also received a handful of bottles of Julie, so I snagged those for old time sake.

Cotton_27 likes this.
  24. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

My favorite Belgian Dark is back!

[​IMG]

While I'm still hoping for another bottle release some point (last year's was awesome!) the Bourbon variant actually compliments the base ale instead of overwhelming it.

Get it at S-Mart or online for delivery!

SWChi, Zorak2, Jaycase and 1 other person like this.
  25. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Something interesting (and a little funny):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Behind Arcadia rising from the grave, there's Juicy Brut and Fruitasia declared dead this year.

26. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

... and there was much rejoicing.

27. Cotton_27

Trader

Two of the worst Shorts Brews I've had. Hope they never comeback.

Zorak2, JohnnyHopps and PapaGoose03 like this.
  28. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Haha, I'll make sure they get top seeds in Short's Tourney 2: Yeasty Boogaloo in another year.

PapaGoose03, Zorak2 and Cotton_27 like this.
  29. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Cinnabilly would be a #1 seed in that tourney.

30. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Back in 2017 Short's dropped a picture of a can and the hashtag #CANpagne on Twitter with a "coming soon"

Almost a year later, CANpagne was officially announced as a blend of hard cider and Pinot Noir juice, sold through the Pull Barn and S-Mart. It quietly disappeared.

Now the name is back as a sparkling rosé:

[​IMG]

This one looks like it's supposed to hit distro, so Short's is really expanding into all sorts of beverages.

Zorak2, PapaGoose03 and Cotton_27 like this.
  31. Cotton_27

Trader

This years Yodas Blend is the best version yet in my opinion.

32. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

It's somewhat of a pipe dream because eof the nature of the ale, but I think a Yoda vertical is now in order. I never thought throwing whatever was left in the tanks together would work so good. As @Cotton_27 said, this year's is excellent.

And I'm really falling back in love with Liberator. I haven't had one a in few years and am kicking myself for skipping it. Liberator and Superfluid feel like two sides of the same coin for me.
    Juicy Tree is a top ten favorite for me.
    Double Cat Grass blows the original away.
    Slurm Lord is so juicy good.
    Even Batch 10000 isn't as funky as I remember. But it's even more sneaky. I had one can the other night and got dizzy when I stood up.

Gotta say, I was worried about this pack since it was a lot of what would normally be limited releases but I'm quite pleased

33. Jaycase

Jaycase Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

34. Zorak2

35. Jaycase

Jaycase Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Yeah, you're right. They don't ship to MI it seems. https://halftimebeverage.com/maximize-your-shipping Maybe Short's will release some locally.

36. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Super Delicious is on the release schedule for December. What the difference between that one and the "Extreme Beer Fest Edition" version, I dunno.

PapaGoose03 and Jaycase like this.
  37. IrishMosaic

IrishMosaic May 2, 2020

The Extreme Beer Fest edition is barrel aged, versus the release in December.

Tripel_Threat, Zorak2 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

Took a closer look at the release info and noticed meijer distribution outside of Michigan. Stopped at my local store in Northeast Ohio and found a few packs on the shelf. Don’t remember Ohio distribution in past years. Looking forward to sampling these, especially the 2x cat grass.

39. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Do you shorts specialty releases ever hit the big box stores? I am planning on a road trip once (if?) spruce pilsner hits. I want to map out as many potential locations along my route as possible.

Cotton_27 likes this.
  40. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Yes, they do. You can find them generally at all the flagship Meijer and D&W locations.

Cotton_27 and JohnnyHopps like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.