Short's Brewing 2020

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Tripel_Threat, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

Got this for $31.99. No brainer for me as this comes in under $11.00 a sixer.

I do wish this was batch 5000 but I’ll still sip and enjoy Batch 10000. Double Grass is really good but I’d still rather drink the original. I’m really digging Yoda’s this time!
    The rest are repeats and as expected. Best mixed pack of the year for me!

2. Selby56

Selby56 Nov 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

Which Meijer did you find them at? I live in Pittsburgh now and am a Short's fanatic - thinking of driving out to the Meijer in Stow to get a pack.

Cotton_27 likes this.
  3. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

Avon, west Cleveland suburb. Probably want to call first unless you're in the area for another reason.

Selby56 likes this.
  4. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Lil' Huma is now available all year long! I'm pretty stoked about it, probably replacing Juicy Brut.

MIbeer27 and Zorak2 like this.
  5. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

Picked up one at the Meijer in Stow today. Still four more on the shelf.

SteelCranium and Selby56 like this.
  6. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

... and still there is no spruce pilsner.

RyanMcFly1985 and Cotton_27 like this.
  7. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Just a travesty

Cotton_27 and JohnnyHopps like this.
  8. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

First time having batch 10k today. Power is out due to high winds so went into the basement to blindly pull a random can from the 18 pack. Picked 10k without knowing much about it - especially the ABV. Went down pretty easy but noticed the 13+ pretty quickly. Will sip the next ones much slower.

9. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Somehow slept on this announcement a few days ago, here's the Q1 2021 releases:

[​IMG]

Looks like Peachy got a new name, Furry is going Nitro, and $plurge escaped the 2019 Hoppy Holidays pack.

Thoughts?

(Inb4 no Spruce, but at least it's still scheduled for November)

Zaphog and Zorak2 like this.
  10. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Joe Short owes us all a personal explanation as to why he thinks we don’t want Spruce Pilsner.

Zaphog and PapaGoose03 like this.
  11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Does a spruce beer need to be brewed with new-growth spruce tips? Seems to me this would have to be a spring/early-summer beer to do it right. Maybe the tips can be frozen and used for a November release?

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  12. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I feel like it was traditionally released in early August.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  13. Zorak2

Zorak2 Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

Where is the Tiramisu Blonde?

14. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

That seems right, I typically go up north in late july/early August and could grab a growler at the pub.

There's still 12 days left in November, so fingers crossed.

PapaGoose03 and JohnnyHopps like this.
  15. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

My guess? Pushed further out. They probably had a few already scheduled/ingredients ready for Q1 and are putting it out Q2. Or maybe they wanted to keep whatever style balance for Q1.
    Hope it still hits shelves, I'm very curious to try it.
    Again, total guess.

16. Zorak2

Yeah I went back and re-read their Instagram post and it just said pushed to 2021 and not any specific quarter.

Also kind of weird that Slurm Lord is getting a back to back release from Hoppy Holidays to its own.

Cotton_27 likes this.
  17. Cotton_27

Trader

I agree, so many other IPA's I'd rather see. Chief Hopper, Goodnight Bodacious, Stachebender, Aww Jeah, Raisin Apollo, Bludgeon yer Eye, just to name a few.

Zorak2, PapaGoose03 and JohnnyHopps like this.
  18. Zorak2

How long has it been since we seen Raisin or Bludgeon? Also its a crime they dont release Goodnight more often, but at least last year we got Rye Whiskey Goodnight as a private stache.

Cotton_27 and Mikecd234 like this.
  19. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Raisin has been forever.

I don't know if we'll ever get Bodacious or Bludgeon outside of a variety pack/private stache/pub release soon. Just looking at the shelves, there's not a lot of demand (outside of a few BA threads) for black-Cascadian-dark IPAs. Can't remember the last time I saw Odd Side's Car Ramrod on the shelves, either.

Cotton_27 and Zorak2 like this.
  20. Mikecd234

Mikecd234 Jun 24, 2015 Michigan

I miss goodnight, my favorite shorts beer.

21. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Pssst... Bourbon Carrot Cake is available at the pub and for online ordering.

EDIT: OKAY GUYS I'VE ORDERED MINE YOU CAN GO AHEAD NOW.
    [​IMG]

#461 Tripel_Threat, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  22. Zorak2

Got a si
    Got me a bottle and 12pk of Lil' Huma, which is now splitting my session beer time with Locals.

Also crazy that there is still Bourbon Evil Urges left. The beer that eluded me for years and would always sell out the week before I got to the pub. Now as of last year I had it at Hopcat and it lasted well after New Years for me to grab at the mart and just happened to grab a few bottles a couple weeks ago while I was at the pub. Definately top 5 Short's beer and I am all for a annual release.

Tripel_Threat and Cotton_27 like this.
  23. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

While there isn’t a substantial amount of Black IPA’s out there for comparison, this is my favorite hands down! A November/December release of this in 6 packs on an annual basis would be my vote!!

24. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Listen up, y'all it's a Sabrotage

[​IMG]

Having had Market Legend a few months ago, I like what can be done with Sabro hops. So this one should be worth a try.

(yes, this one is released before Spruce, but Spruce is still on the schedule...)

Zorak2 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  25. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Spruce Pilsner is now a December beer. (Maybe.)

Cotton_27 likes this.
  26. PapaGoose03

Society

At least someone who makes scheduling decisions thinks that it will get brewed. I can see a new label graphic and a new marketing theme of a decorated spruce tree as the Christmas tree. There will be cases of Spruce Pilsner under the tree. Or decorated cases of the beer stacked in a pyramid shape. Ho, ho, ho!

27. Cotton_27

Trader

Looks like Spruce is a 7% now all of a sudden. Not sure if this is good or bad.

Zorak2, PapaGoose03 and JohnnyHopps like this.
  28. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I guess it depends how many you want to drink.

There was some concern about an increase from 7 to 11% at the last major release.

Zorak2, PapaGoose03 and Cotton_27 like this.
  29. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Spruce and PGGB seem to have the wildest swings.

Got my BBA Carrot Cake today, first time having the BBA version and lemme say, LET IT WARM UP. It's eh out of the fridge but gets awesome the closer it gets to room temp.

30. PapaGoose03

Society

For anyone who is getting shaky with desperation in anticipation of Spruce Pilsner, Bell's has their version available in bottles in the General Store. I think I had it on tap last year and recall it not being as 'sprucy' as the Short's version, but it's an acceptable substitute.

31. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

Spruce Pilsner appearing on Short's available bottled beer on their website, so the wait is over! I'm a huge fan of this like many of you so I'm jazzed to pick some up.

I'm confused about the abv though. Click on the available bottled beer link and it's showing 9.4% but on the release schedule link it's the 7 as mentioned above...guessing it's the 7 since I don't remember ever seeing it that low, but it'd be nice to know. Guess I'll find out soon enough!

Side note, I will never understand why it's not required to label how much alcohol is in our brews...how much drug you're consuming imbibing in a controlled substance seems sort of important when a single beer can be equivalent to 2-3 in some cases...

Cotton_27, Zorak2 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  32. PapaGoose03

Society

It's also on Instagram @ 9.4%. It also lists limited quantities. Here's the text:

shortsbrewing Sweet nectar, we have missed you! Welcome back to the world of 6 packs, Spruce Pilsner, and all hail the northern Michigan blue spruce trees who offered up their fresh, resiny tips to the Short’s Brewing staff to make this beer happen.

Spruce Pilsner, 9.4% ABV, is an Imperial Pilsner fermented with local, hand-picked blue spruce tips. The spruce presence, rooted in historical brewing practices, is enormous and gives the beer a refreshing gin quality. This beer is impressively light-bodied, considering the immense spruce flavors and the prodigious additions of hops.

Available in limited quantities throughout the great state of Michigan.

lotsaswigs, Cotton_27, Zorak2 and 2 others like this.
  33. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Looks like the link on the release schedule goes to "Imperial Spruce Pilsner"(from the original Imperial series in 2007) in the portfolio, while the Available Packaged Beer link goes to "Spruce Pilsner," so there's the difference.

It's also on FB as well, same announcement as @PapaGoose03 mentioned. Get it when you see it, I guess.

34. Zorak2

Did anyone see that Bourbon Cup a Joe got a bomber label recently approved? I bet that is our next private stache. I been waiting for this one for over two years now and hopefully this is real unlike the keg ring label that got approved earlier this year.

35. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

So a week before Spruce hits stores?

36. Zorak2

Should be. I noticed when beers become available at Short's Mart, they hit distribution the following week.

I also noticed a suprise drop of Superfluid last week too and grabbed some singles because I'm still working off that Hoppy Holiday 18pk and just got some Sabrotage as well.

37. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

Ahhhh, ok, makes sense then...thanks. Didn't remember the original was that "low" of ABV. Can't wait to pick some up, but in the meantime I'll go crack a juicy tree to scratch the spruce itch!

Tripel_Threat and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. Zorak2

Just listened to the Better on Draft (betterondraft.com) 11/20 podcast with Joe Short and here are a few takeaways:

Ever wonder how they determine specialty releases? They use pub brews as barometer for special releases. Not all are winners, apparel Mr. Fusion did great at the pub, but by the time it hit market, it was a flop.

On Covid stuff, Shorts staff safety is their number 1 priority because they make the operation go. Seriously be kind to your Short's people they are awesome and the reason we have awesome beer in these times.

Currently working on a collab with Eastern Market possibly a Soft Parade/Elephant Juice beer in the works for 2021.

Elk rapids pub to become year round taproom once we get through Covid.

White wine canpaign version coming soon.

No plans to have a southern Michigan taproom anytime soon.Wants to keep it in Antrim for tourism and benefit the counties up there.

Refreshion Session pack was a huge hit. Led to Lil' Huma year round and an upcoming Nitro Furry Buddy (possibly Super Delicious Stout?)

Good Humans was actually created when a double brown went wrong and they decided to dump a box of simcoe hops in afterwards to save it.

A ton of other good stuff in this podcast (history of Hangin' Frank @ about 50min). I highly recommend checking their site out if you are a fan of all Michigan beer.

39. Cotton_27

Trader

Just scored a case of Spruce Pilsner! Drove straight home and poured one, tasting fantastic.

40. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Has it started to find its way into stores? I have only seen 2 new check-ins on Untappd.

PapaGoose03 and Cotton_27 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.