News Short's Brewing Co. sells 19.99% stake to Lagunitas/Heineken

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by moshea, Jul 26, 2017.

1. moshea

moshea Devotee (422) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

https://www.shortsbrewing.com/short-s-brewing-co-announces-partnership-lagunitas-brewing-co/

Is this satire? Is the Laguniatas Holding group really called LUSH?

2. cg123

cg123 Initiate (138) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

If true, and since Heineken owns 100% of Lagunitas, doesn't this mean that Heineken bought 19.99% of Short's??

Badfish, JLaw55, jakecattleco and 5 others like this.
  3. moshea

Beer Trader

Yes, but it is most likely better optics to say Lagunitas bought you as not every consumer knows that Heineken owns Lagnitas

JLaw55, beertunes, drtth and 5 others like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,975) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

From the announcement:

“The partnership stems from Short’s desire to successfully navigate the ever-evolving craft market while maintaining its creatively fearless identity. Lagunitas’ 19.99% equity stake in Short’s will be managed by Lagunitas U.S. Holdings — or LUSH.”

But Lagunitas is 100% owned by Heineken so isn’t the equity stake in Short’s really by Heineken?

I wonder what Andy Crouch thinks about the “transparency” of this announcement?

Cheers!

Badfish, Brolo75, stevesbeer and 4 others like this.
  5. moshea

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Michigan Only, Michigan Forever......... well or at least until a better business opportunity presents itself..

6. Selby56

Selby56 Initiate (146) Nov 12, 2014 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Short's is my favorite brewery, couldn't get enough of their stuff when I lived in Michigan. Hell, when I go visit family in Ohio I drive two hours out of my way to go to Michigan and stock up on as much Short's as possible.

I was living in Michigan when they decided to start expanding to other markets, but that wasn't a huge deal to me. Not sure how I feel about this news though.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  7. Blackop555

Blackop555 Meyvn (1,147) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

There's a video they made. They state they want to be truthful or something like that but they said lagunitas bought 19.999%. no mention of Heineken and then they ramble on about themselves.

SammyJaxxxx, Badfish, Brolo75 and 3 others like this.
  8. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,191) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I don't really see this as any difference than when Oskar Blues sold a majority stake to Fireman Capital Partners. When Oskar Blues/Fireman Capital bought out Cigar City, it was billed as Oskar Blues buys Cigar City, Fireman Capital was never mentioned.

9. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,826) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

@ScottatShorts has been addressing this to some extent over in the Shorts thread from the GL forum.

Beginner2 and Blackop555 like this.
  10. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (3,075) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Fireman Capital is not big beer. And I did hear a lot about Fireman Capital. Actually the first news I heard was their name as I was driving away from 2016 Huna weekend, and I had to look up who the hell it was. Then people started saying Oskar Blues bought CCB.

In any case, I don't see Lagunitas making this purchase before being owned by Heiny. Why would they want anything to do with each other?

11. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Champion (861) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

It seems like we see these stories over and over and it plays out the same way. Anymore I just don't focus on it, buy who you like and what tastes good etc

12. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (277) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

For many, it's not about big beer changing recipes or having influence, it's about where we see our money being funneled back into. That perceived support system is a real thing. I know many local breweries who have switched owners or had partners buy out other partners etc. with no true announcements. Did they feel they had to have a press release? There are likely hundreds of breweries we'd be very surprised to see who actually owned a stake in. With that said the lines have been blurred for awhile. I guess we're past the point of a 200 reply thread and FB uprising.

HopHead1986 and bluejacket74 like this.
  13. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Disciple (398) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This is one of the first things that came to my mind!

And also that they sold less than 25%, so therefore can continue to operate as a craft brewer and "independent craft" under the Brewer's Association definitions.

Badfish and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  14. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (32) Feb 28, 2017 Virginia

I guess we'll start seeing Short's around here sometime soon.

GreenBayBA and landrewg like this.
  15. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,826) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Unless something drastically changes, it sounds like they will not be expanding distribution at all.

VABA and Blackop555 like this.
  16. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Devotee (489) Dec 12, 2014 California

Is Heineken evil as well?

17. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I sorta posed this question in a different thread where I asked about the Marketing & Sales practices of Heineken in their home country of The Netherlands but nobody responded. Based upon this I am guessing that nobody on BA knows?

Cheers!

18. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (386) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Only real difference is OB sold a majority stake and Lagunitas sold 100%.

19. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (3,075) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Well...intentionally making skunked beer might qualify :neutral_face:

20. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Aspirant (280) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

They use green bottles. That should tell you all you need to know how much they care about craft beer. :wink:

21. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,691) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

For now.
    They didn't buy Laguanitas all at once.

22. kell50

kell50 Meyvn (1,025) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

LUSH.. haha. Clever.

23. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,191) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Stopped drinking/trading for them when Joe gave a big fuck you to people who got shafted by a string of infected garbage he sold as beer some years back. Will continue never to drink a Short's beer if they somehow end up on local shelves.

24. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Initiate (196) Nov 6, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I really don't know what the marketing and sales practices they have... All I know is Heineken was the ONLY beer other than Palm I could find in every pub I had time to go in for my weekend in Leiden and Utrecht... Except for an "irish pub" that I found and promptly avoided the 10 euro bottle of Corona.

Either there just is nobody else that seemed to want to make beer to sell in those areas, or the people really just only liked Heineken, or there may have been some business practices at play that got rid of competition.

Edit:
    This was in the summer of 2008. I was only in the Netherlands for a weekend, but I was trying to find good Dutch beer and food.
    In my experience most places in Germany don't really have much variety. Bars normally didn't have a large variety of beers available but it wasn't anything like the everpresent Heineken.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  25. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,260) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

26. Billydoughnuts

Billydoughnuts Aspirant (296) Feb 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

What was the infected beer?

27. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

I feel for the Lagunitas employees who pushed for the wear Short's to work day.

joaopmgoncalves and cavedave like this.
  28. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (366) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

If it gets Shorts beers to VA, I'm for it.

tlema1 likes this.
  29. cavedave

Beer Trader

There were a bunch. The ones I got were Cup a Joe and another one I can't remember the name of, some fruit beer. Infected Cup a Joe was one of the worst tastes I've ever had in my mouth. Got stuck with a six of both. Joe told us they were fine and it was our fault for bad storage. Vowed I would never buy nor drink a Short's beer again.

Brolo75, guinness77, denver10 and 6 others like this.
  30. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

Now you can safely drink 1/5 of a Short's beer without feeling guilty.

Greenstone and cavedave like this.
  31. cavedave

Beer Trader

I will definitely do that as soon as I try all other American beers first :wink:

32. JackHorzempa

Supporter

A number of interesting tidbits in the article that @jesskidden linked.

Firstly, kudos to the title which lists Heineken: “Short’s Brewing to sell 20-percent stake to Heineken subsidiary Lagunitas”.

The article discusses the rate of deals/consolidation in the craft beer industry for 2017 (see below). There is still 5+ more months left in 2017.

“For Joe Infante, the head of the alcoholic beverage regulation team at Grand Rapids-based Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone PLC, the Short’s deal represents one of many more deals to come in 2017.

“2017 is the year of the deal,” Infante said of the craft beverage industry. “I said it in January that this is going to be the biggest year in deals we’ve seen in the craft beer industry.”

The Short’s folks did not accept the highest money offer deal:

“Newman-Bale declined to disclose further specifics of the deal, including the purchase price. He did reveal that the Lagunitas offer fell on the lower end of offers Short’s received from other companies, including large breweries and other investment firms.”

It will be interesting to see when going forward whether Heineken will take a hands off approach to Short’s Brewing.

Cheers!

Lone_Freighter and Bitterbill like this.
  33. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (333) May 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I don't understand. They want help 'navigating the craft beer marketing land', but aren't expanding to sell anything outside of their current footprint.

JLaw55, jakecattleco, Brolo75 and 5 others like this.
  34. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

At one point they said they wouldn't distro outside of MI. Then they distributed outside of Michigan.

I would take less to avoid having to do one of those High End videos.

35. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (1,589) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Supporter

More competitive pricing for ingredients, probably.

36. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (705) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I read all of this and don't give a shit. I really understand allegiance to a favorite local brand, and I know how the rage over selling-out seems to subsume all conversation. But, look at all of the great beer- including Short's- that really just lurks out there more readily available than ever before, going on decades. This should surprise not a soul. I remain confident that the independent nature of our populace will make great beer on a greater increasing scale, regardless of big corporate influence. It just is the right time.

nc41, cjgiant, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  37. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,082) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

Why did they decide to package in cans as well then?

38. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Yeah, year of the deal. NOTHING would surprise me at this stage of the game.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  39. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Here's a prediction of mine. The first Wyoming brewery to sell, I don't want to say out, will be Black Tooth in Sheridan.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  40. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (230) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Good for them!

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.