Short's Brewing Releases & Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BeyondDescription, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Zealot (505) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Had a Smores Stout from the 01/19 batch, it was very tasty and less chunky!

TurboBrew likes this.
  2. KTL123

KTL123 Initiate (75) Apr 15, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Any sightings of S'more stout in the East Lansing/Okemos area?

3. Junior

Junior Champion (853) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Vine and Brew had some on Friday.

4. KTL123

KTL123 Initiate (75) Apr 15, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Cool thanks will stop in tommorow

5. myxmastrmike

myxmastrmike Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Michigan

Run is FANTASTIC!
    This is the kind of sour I've been waiting for from Short's. Flavorful, twangy/Jammy, balance of sweet and sour... so so good.

Peachy Pom Pom and Tequila Sauna were close.

No discount to any of the others... every special/Stache release has been fantastic in their own ways... the Bretts were as they should be...Compression was complex due to the multiple barrels but still well rounded, but I've just kept saying "Allllllllllmost" and now, they've finally hit the nail on the head with Run.
    Wish I had bought more! LOL

6. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (3,072) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Couple of limited release/tap only brews of note at the "Shortest Month of the Beer" at Ashley's Westland:

Aorta
    Sticky Icky Icky
    Magician
    Cup A Joe
    Traverse City Pale Ale (on Nitro)

7. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

GR FOLKS! LOGAN'S ALLEY! TODAY!

***Here's your Tap List!***

- Bourbon Barrel Carrot Cake
    - Lil Creepster
    - S'More Stout
    - Aww Jeah
    - Stache Bender
    - Sticky Icky Icky
    - Huma Lupa Licious
    - Soft Parade
    - Magician
    - Good Humans
    - Liberator
    - Juicy Tree
    - Aorta
    - Hopstache
    - Scapoleon Doodright
    - Small Heath
    - Purest Form Stout (Nitro)
    - Farmhouse L-I-V-I-N
    - Van Dammage
    - Das Mandarina
    - Starcut Octorock
    - Starcut Erraticus #5
    - CASK: Space Rock dry hopped with Citra hops

8. BeyondDescription

Trader

9. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

It's that time of year again, Short's fans:

[​IMG]

From the website:

"Don’t let this beer release deceive you, it’s really only February. When laying out our 2017 beer release schedule, we knew that our friends in the Short’s-i-verse could use a pint or two pick me up during the February slump and we knew just the beer to do the job! Sliding onto store shelves this week, it’s time for Uncle Steve’s Irish Stout!

Uncle Steve’s Irish Stout (5.8% ABV – 20 IBU) is Short’s version of the classic Irish Stout, complete with a dark color, soft head, and smooth full flavor typical of this lighter bodied beer. A simple grist formula provides a base of roasted malt flavors and a creamy drinkability everyone loves."

10. BeyondDescription

Trader

Uncle Steve's is absolutely delicious, underrated, priced right, and another example of why the classics don't go away. Not to mention, rather age-able. Cheers!

11. BeyondDescription

Trader

So, for those in GR, next Friday, we'll be having our annual Pyramid Scheme tap event after the MBG Festival. We do our best to rival the festival with an extraordinary tap-list for our friends at the Scheme. Stop by that evening, we'll have a huge Short's crew representing!

Uber Goober -- Highly coveted Imperial Oatmeal Stout fermented with Peanuts 6.3%

Tequilla Sauna -- Golden Sour aged in tequila barrels fermented with Orange and Pomegranate. 7.5%

Tastes Like Jazz -- Wet hopped India Pale Ale fermented with 100% Brettanomyces. 6.3%

Hopped in Black -- American Black Ale brewed with Southern Cross hops. 6.1%

Bourbon Barrel Aged Ben's Asthma -- Barrel Aged Imperial Oatmeal Stout 14.3%

Bourbon Barrel Aged Hammer Jack -- Bourbon Barrel Aged Scotch Ale. 8.8%

Bourbon Barrel Aged Pig Bird -- Bourbon Barrel Aged American IPA with Lemon and Orange Zest. 7.7%

Das Mandarina -- Extra Pale Ale dry hopped with Mandarina hops. 4.8%

London Fog -- English Brown Ale made with Earl Grey Tea, Vanilla, and Milk Sugar

Chocolate Covered Strawberry -- Brown Porter brewed with Chocolate Malt, Strawberries, and Lactose. 5.1%

Funky Boss -- Barrel Aged Brett Saison 7.8%

Neon Snowsuit -- Black Lager. 5.9%

Stellar Ale -- American IPA. 6.2%

Czech Your Head -- Dark Spiced Fruit Lager with Blueberry and Cardamon 4.5%

Das Lokal -- Local’s Light brewed with German Pilsner malt. 5.2%

ColonelHopslam likes this.
  12. coolhandwuke

coolhandwuke Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2014 Michigan
    Deactivated

Totally agree....and an Uncle Steve's Car Bomb is pretty amazing too.

BeyondDescription likes this.
  13. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Two reminders:

Tomorrow is the Short's Six Course Beer Dinner in Plymouth, MI. Joe Short is gonna make an appearance. Info, including time and prices, is here. Hey, and I'll be there, too!

My personal favorite place, Ashley's, is having a Short's event on Thursday to go along with their Shortest Month of the Beer. Joe Short will be there, too, to judge a Joe Short lookalike contest. 6-10,but there's a private happy hour with Joe from 5-6, I think. Check Ashleys.com for details.

14. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

The next mix 12 is up. I can't wait for more Twisted Cain.

[​IMG]

Zorak2, PapaGoose03 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  15. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Are you kidding me? Pontius is back! I love every one of these. One nit to pick is I preferred (slightly) Twist of Cain to Twisted, but this'll do.

Zorak2 likes this.
  16. fishmich

fishmich Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

Really looking forward to this one...
    [​IMG]

17. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Folks, if you ever, ever get a chance to attend a Short's beer dinner... Do it. Tonight was fantastic, filled with great brew and stories from Joe Short himself. And there was even a bonus brew, Bourbon Wizard, that the place had been sitting on for the last four years.

[​IMG]

Word to the wise:
    If you see Bourbon Wizard, you pay whatever they ask and you drink it.

Also, at the end of the evening, I went over to say hi and thank you to Joe and Katie (the Short's Liberator for the area) and told him how I appreciated the team at Short's, and as soon as I said "... and Sean on the BeerAdvocate forum, " Joe looks at me and asks: "Are... are you Tripel_Threat? Bring it in for a hug! " BAs, I almost lost it. The culture at Short's is awesome from the top on down.

So, I guess this counts as a face reveal. Here's me, the man himself, and my wife. Who, long story short, Joe called a dude.

[​IMG]

And thanks, @HopHeadHerman!

kyle86, atone315, TurboBrew and 17 others like this.
  18. Cotton_27

Trader

Just picked up the new variety pack, this is definitely a great one, pumped Pontius is back in bottles!

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  19. Cotton_27

Trader

London Fog needs to be in 6 packs next year! So tasty!

king75, Tripel_Threat and Tracker83 like this.
  20. Zorak2

Zorak2 Initiate (49) Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

Yes I agree. That was by far my favorite out of the 2015 winter variety pack. I loved the low bitter vanilla tea taste that the beer had.

21. Zorak2

Zorak2 Initiate (49) Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

I am with you preferring the Twist to the twisted. I actually got to taste them side by side last year when twisted was just released because I was driving to a friends house and happened to see a beer warehouse near royal oak and they still had the variety pack with decon blues and twist of cain.

22. bigleague

bigleague Aspirant (275) Jan 11, 2015 Michigan

Tickets to Anniversary Party go on sale tomorrow. Shorts posted on The Face Book a couple weeks ago, but nothing since (at least that I could find). Messaged the brewery today and got confirmation that tix go on sale at ten on Friday on the Shorts website (years past were on Eventbrite iirc). FYI that all of Shanty Creek is booked for 4/29.

TurboBrew likes this.
  23. BeyondDescription

Trader

To clarify, tickets are sold via Eventbrite, but the link to the tickets will be housed on our website.

24. bigleague

bigleague Aspirant (275) Jan 11, 2015 Michigan

Thx @HopHeadHerman I searched Eventbrite yesterday and came up empty. Will check again today when tix go on sale. I'm quite surprised that there has not been more done to promote the party, at least that has crossed my feed. Same venues last year and it was nearly inescapable. This year, I found more info on the Shanty Creek site than I could on the brewery's. Lots of promo for Battle of the Bands, with its tie to the anny party....but that's about the extent of it. Cheers!

25. KeyserGose

KeyserGose Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2016 Michigan

Tickets are on sale and there are some specialty bottled beers and a pre party this year!

shortsbrew.com/anniparty

26. Brianw508

Brianw508 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

I came here expecting to read some other things.
    On a side note we (BoatWorks) are in the middle of our 28 days of shorts and we have bourbon carrot cake on again!

27. king75

king75 Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2010 Michigan

So I am trying to make sure I am reading this correctly. It sounds like you can purchase 4 bottles of each specialty beer for the party, but if you purchase the pre-party ticket you get a bottle of the bourbon wizard. Does this mean that this allows you to get 5 bottles of the bourbon wizard if you purchase the pre-party ticket or do they still cap it at 4 regardless?

28. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,917) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Reading through it, it would seem the former. It mentions a pre-party goodie bag in the FAQ, of which would include the 1 bottle. Then there is the separate bottle purchase with the limit of 4. I presume eventbrite is allowing one to max on the bottles even with the pre-party ticket purchase, so there you go. :wink:

29. king75

That's how I was reading it too, but all to often I over think things. Thanks!

Jaycase likes this.
  30. azurel

azurel Initiate (0) May 27, 2016 Michigan

Saw in the email shorts sent out that Cats pajamas was going to be bottle released....What I couldn't find is a time line....Any idea if its gonna be a wide distro or Michigan only, pub only?....Shorts is killing it....I or my wallet cannot keep up..

31. Tracker83

Tracker83 Zealot (502) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Based on the release schedule, it is seeing distribution and seeing distro outside of Michigan. Listed as a February release.

azurel, Nachos4two and Tripel_Threat like this.
  32. KeyserGose

Coming to the Short's pub on Friday, and stores next week.

33. Tracker83

Tracker83 Zealot (502) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Just finished my last two bottles of Mmmkay. It continues to be one of my favorite Short's beers! What a great beer! I'm not sure there is a beer made by anybody that smells better than this one! These were bottled over 3 months ago, and I honestly can't detect that they've fallen off at all. Not even a little. I had bottles from the variety pack and bought 2 sixers from the pub. Wish I would've bought more! Dear Shorts, please brew Mmmkay more often... We love it!

Zaphog likes this.
  34. KeyserGose

Looks like no Bourbon Sweep the Leg Johnny bottle release tomorrow according to Facebook, but it'll still be on tap at the pub.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  35. TurboBrew

TurboBrew Initiate (0) May 13, 2012 Michigan

Booked the hotel! We will be at the anniversary party this year, we haven't been since party #11 in 2015 :0 hope to see some of you there!

I wanted to go to the plymouth shorts mash up very badly @Tripel_Threat But I had to work and couldn't weasel my way out of it... lol. Looks like ya had a blast.

Drinkin a Hopstache right now, my first beer in a week as I had a really really bad flu virus. Back on the horse.. giddy-up like Kramer. .. giddy up.

myxmastrmike and Tripel_Threat like this.
  36. myxmastrmike

myxmastrmike Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Michigan

Got our usual condo rented, and tickets bought. Anybody else from here get in on the pre-party tickets?
    Should be a fun bonus, plus when you factor in the bottle you get, the price point is right on.

What hotel did you go with @TurboBrew ?

37. atone315

atone315 Champion (893) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin

Man, finally got to try Bourbon Carrot Cake in MKE last night....well worth the wait!!! Now, to scratch Bourbon Wizard off my list....

Tripel_Threat, cl3 and ColonelHopslam like this.
  38. cl3

cl3 Disciple (339) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I was blown away by Bourbon Carrot Cake, while I was back home in the U.P. over the holidays. Did you try the the Critterless that Ray's had on tap? The style is not really my jam, but that beer was tasty!

39. TurboBrew

TurboBrew Initiate (0) May 13, 2012 Michigan

@myxmastrmike at shanty creek, stayed there many times great deal for the money and free bus rides to and from downtown. I missed out on the pre party tickets tho, however.. I don't really think I need to pre party for this party as I can party pretty hard from 4 till 10. If I even make it til 10 that is haha.

Side note: Found a Liberator from couple months ago in my fridge, Its delicious !

40. king75

I bought a pre party ticket. Only 150 were availabme which means an extra hour and a half of drinking with no crowd, plus an extra beer is an awesome deal!

BeyondDescription and TurboBrew like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.