Short's Brewing Releases & Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BeyondDescription, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trginter

trginter (0) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan

You can't go wrong with some Huma!

2. king75

king75 (0) Jul 27, 2010 Michigan

One week away from the party, can't wait!

3. Brianw508

Brianw508 (0) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

I'll be at the party this year. I'm excited to relax and drink some terrific beers

4. a_beckman25

a_beckman25 (0) Jan 27, 2013 Michigan

Laughing Grass= Very Nice!

BeyondDescription likes this.
  5. a_beckman25

Read back to all the hate on Laughing Grass. Not the same beer as like an M-43 but very good and I love what they did. U get all the hoppiness and flavor u would from a much higher abv beer but u could drink it all day. I guess the people want the haze! I'm totally fine with the amount of hop goodness they packed into this sessionable beer. Way to go shorts, please bottle. And if this is any indication, Slurm should be great

6. TurboBrew

TurboBrew (0) May 13, 2012 Michigan

dump some orange juice in it.. BOOM "NE IPA"

haven't had the chance to try the laughing grass yet. But for sure will be having slurm..(s) this weekend at the anniversary party. Oh and definitely going to be there Sunday for the brunch too ! That should be pretty cool.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  7. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat (0) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Oh, man. Convinced the wife to take a bonus weekend trip Up North. The good, we're gonna be in Bellaire, hitting the pub and doing the brewery tour. The bad, it'll be two weeks after the Anni party. So if any of youse guys see some of the Stache bottles running low, place a few in a basket down by the river. :wink:

Although for real, this is the time frame I start checking the tap list and praying certain ales stay on the board.

VABA likes this.
  8. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription (0) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Can't wait for Anny Party

#betterthanDLD

:wink:

9. bigleague

bigleague (381) Jan 11, 2015 Michigan

Group pic this year at the Anni Party? Was excited last year to be a part of it, but "forgot".

10. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Beer Announcement, before it gets lost in the Anni party excitement:

[​IMG]

From Short's website
    :

"ERMAGERD! ERMAGERDNESS is back in bottles!

ERMAGERDNESS (5.5% ABV – 84 IBU) is a light-bodied, golden-colored American India Pale Ale with zesty tangerine and pineapple aromatics. A simplified malt bill, along with some signature American hops, allows for an awesome burst of tropical fruit flavors up front. It then shifts toward an interesting herbal tasting bitterness, which builds and lingers on the back of the palate.

Originally envisioned by Al Russell (our friend and former SBC Production Brewer), Al sought to create a hop forward American India Pale Ale reminiscent of some of his favorite brews. While the name ERMAGERDNESS may have only been a placeholder, it ended up really encapsulating just what we thought of the awesome flavors encapsulated in this brew. We guarantee, just one sip of this tropical fruit filled AIPA will make you scream “ermagerdness!”* "

This one's gonna be a Michigan only release this year, so if you want some good beer with some semi-disturbing artwork, c'mon to the Mitten.

Nachos4two likes this.
  11. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Had Laughing Grass on tap tonight at Hop Cat. Did I understand correctly that it's the same beer as Slurm?

Not really a "NE IPA" imho. But pretty damn tasty. And I do have a soft spot for the new name. The world needs more Futurama themed beers.

12. beersite

beersite (0) Nov 8, 2016 Illinois

Not the same beer and to be honest hopefully Slurm is nothing like laughing grass.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  13. landrewg

landrewg (383) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

MOMF!
    #neverforget

14. bigleague

Roll call for Anni Party tomorrow. Anybody in town tonight? I'm at Stone Water with beers to share if anyone's around

15. BeyondDescription

Trader

1. HHH -- AM setup crew and SW Michigan account rep who will be cruising around saying hi throughout the fest.

Brianw508 likes this.
  16. king75

king75 (0) Jul 27, 2010 Michigan

I'll be there, luckyro score a pre party ticket. Been waiting for this day for over a month, Can't wait!

17. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Have a good one, BAs! Post photos so those of us at home can play along! If you get a bottle of Bourbon Wizard be careful with that stuff, the booze is extremely well hidden. It's like Batch 5000 in that respect, the effects will be on you before you know it.

VABA likes this.
  18. BeyondDescription

Trader

It's a beautiful day in Antrim County.

And Slurm is not Laughing Grass. Just had it.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  19. bigleague

When is the group photo with HHH and Joe???

20. bigleague

Slurm is really good y'all. Not quite as juicy as some of the other offerings (M43, Juice is Loose) but it is nice and bitter. I'm on #3. Well done!

21. landrewg

landrewg (383) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Are all Private Stache bottles 500ml? I was surprised when I picked up my Bourbon Wizard today. I guess I was stupid to assume they were 22s or 750s.
    I don't see where that is made clear.

22. Jaycase

Jaycase (1,102) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

The eventbrite ticket site mentions 500ml bottles.

landrewg likes this.
  23. BeyondDescription

Trader

As far as I've been told, the Elk Rapids batch will be even more Slurmy.

TurboBrew and archiebunkerjr like this.
  24. TurboBrew

Best brew yesterday was Slurm !

Also keep it in czech was delicious.

Cider colada was not for me...ehhhh im just gonna say that. Haha

Off to the pub for brunch soon. Gona have to do some smaller pours [trying machu beechu for sure] as I may or may not be hungover... buying a six pack of ermagerdness was an interesting decision after the party. Luckily i only had one last night and will enjoy some more at home.

#1384 TurboBrew, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  25. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

Bourbon Wizard out of the bottle is incredible.

26. Zaphog

Zaphog (1,297) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

Prob my Short's brew. I need to trade for a bottle or two.

27. fishmich

fishmich (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

Slurm was pretty damn good. I had been drinking M43 all weekend and they are certainly different but I am excited about picking some Slurm up in bottles. Its not quite as cloudy and not quite as juicy as M43 but it passes as a good NE style ipa. Bourbon Evil Urges was probably my favorite on tap as usual, I just love that beer. The new anny beer is a nice change of pace also and is worth picking up.

Tracker83 likes this.
  28. a_beckman25

Any word on Slurm distro? Super excited, I'm also thinking of a new style. Say a beer like slurm tastes incredible but doesn't do it for some people. It should come with a packet of haze/floaties that don't contribute anything to the overall flavor but take it from mediocre to world class!

TurboBrew and Jaycase like this.
  29. BeyondDescription

Trader

Bottled this week- so by mid May, hopefully.

TurboBrew likes this.
  30. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Just got a message from the wife, who's at our local Meijer, look what's out in the wild:

[​IMG]

From Short's website:

"Anni Ale 13irteen is a dry hopped American Sour Ale with black currants. Deep ruby red in color, this American Sour Ale has aromas of tart fruit and citrus. An initial sour flavor (that’s guaranteed to satisfy any Sour beer fan) is followed by notes of dark berry. Flavors of tart black currant coat the palate before a finish that is very dry with just a touch of citrus and a slight bitterness.
    8.7% ABV
    30 IBU

TA 10.6 g/L"

Go getcha some Anni13! Great Lakes Area distribution for this one. It should be hopefully easy to find, since the Meijer near me hasn't carried dick for limited releases ever before.

31. TurboBrew

Couldn't wait any longer, picked it up yesterday at the pub and cracked it just now . . .

[​IMG]

Slurm a licious !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect companion to the new episode of better call saul :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the ... uh slurm-ier bottled version soon too haha

#1391 TurboBrew, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  32. Zorak2

Zorak2 (0) Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

Im drinking some Anni13 right now and it is a fantastic sour. Definately looking forward to the rest of the sour series this year. Short's has been knocking it out of the park with the sours this past year (big fan of Peachy and Critterless).

As for Meijer, I think most them now carry Short's great lakes distro products. My Meijer usually only has the 5 year round beers, 1 seasonal, and current variety pack, but lately I have seen Uncle Steve's and Freedom in there.

33. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 (683) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I'm not really into sours but holy cow Anni13 is amazing. Bought a couple bottles to try it, but I'll definitely be buying more. Best sour I've ever had.

34. fishmich

fishmich (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

I cracked one of mine open at work today for a share and was really impressed as were my co workers. I've had it on tap before and remember enjoying it but I don't remember it being quite that good. Wish I had bought my limit.

35. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

I'll preface this by saying I am not a huge fan of lacto soured dry hopped ales but IMHO Critterless, Peachy Pom Pom, and Wishful Sinful were leagues better than Anni13. Critterless, in particular. Like mileage, tastes vary.

Looking forward to Slurm!

azurel likes this.
  36. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

I kind of agree. I find gose ales, like Ocho, pretty refreshing. Must be some of the saltiness that tempers the sour. Peachy is tops for me, followed by Anni and Critterless. The vinegar, wine-like finish of those two attack the tonsils a little too much for me, although the Dry hopped aroma and currants elevate Anni.
    My wife is extremely happy with them, though, so I can't complain too much.

Speaking of sours, Short's has announced new Private Stache, Tunnel Bear.

In celebration of American Craft Beer Week we’re releasing the 15th brew in our Private Stache series, Tunnel Bear, a barrel aged Sour Rye Brown Ale. Fermented with a mixed culture of wild yeast and bacteria, Tunnel Bear was aged in wine barrels for 17 months. Tunnel Bear will be available for sale packaged in 500mL bottles for $11.99 beginning on Monday, May 15th at 11:00 am.
    In addition to the release of Tunnel Bear, the pub is hosting a week of American Craft Beer Week events including a Bon Bon Bon beer pairing, live music, beer yoga, and Short’s brew trivia. For a full list of #ACBW events, please visit shortsbrew.com/acbw2017.

Description from the portfolio page:

Tunnel Bear is a barrel aged Sour Brown Ale. This beer is a dark brown in color and pours with a slightly off-white head. Tunnel Bear has aromas of fruit, lightly toasted caramel, and oak. Light in body, this Sour Brown Ale is initially tart, but moves into flavors of oak, roasted chocolate, and caramel. The finish is smooth with very little bitterness.

6.5% ABV
    12 IBU
    15.6 g/L

AnchorDrops likes this.
  37. a_beckman25

Looks like Slurm hit the local shop (Coldwater area) today! Can't wait to try

38. midlifec

midlifec (0) Aug 6, 2006 Michigan

Bought a 6 pack this afternoon in Livonia, great Arona and flavor.

TurboBrew likes this.
  39. TurboBrew

where at in livonia.. ?

40. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Official release announcement, youse guys:

[​IMG]

From Short's website:

"EXPRESS DELIVERY FROM OUR SHINY METAL TANKS: IT’S SLURM!

Hey Michigan, if you’ve been jonesing for a Short’sified New England style India Pale Ale, today’s your lucky day! With juicy fruit aromas, ample hop bitterness, and a haze that just won’t quit, Slurm is here to fill your pint with dank, cloudy beer.

Slurm (6.5% ABV – 75 IBU) is a hazy, juicy New England style India Pale Ale. Light orange in color with a prominent haze, Slurm has aromas of pineapple and mango. Big tropical fruit flavors hit you up front and carry through to the finish. This easy drinking, medium-bodied New England style IPA has a slightly bitter, dry finish.

This highly addictive NEIPA is “slurmy” in the best way imaginable. Chock full of hoppy goodness (no Slurm Worms here), it’ll be hard to last more than 12 minutes between pints! Find sixers of Slurm on Michigan store shelves this week.

Drink Slurm!"

Remember, this is the batch that @HopHeadHerman called even Slurmier, so if you had it at the pub you may still want to try it from the six pack. Luckily, I'll be up at the pub this weekend, so I'll get to do a side-by-side, purely for scientific purposes.

TurboBrew, PapaGoose03 and azurel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.