Short's Brewing Releases & Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BeyondDescription, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selby56

Selby56 Initiate (71) Nov 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

So happy I am going to Indy this weekend. I'm going to pick up that Hoppy Holidays Variety Pack for sure.

Zaphog likes this.
  2. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Initiate (103) Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

If I end up with one of these and you happen to score an accidental 12 pack of Batch 5000 I'll gladly trade you - the only Triple IPA I've got amped about and would never pass up on!!!!

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  3. BWichmann74

Based on this information I already have set aside $50 for a case of Superfluid......

Cotton_27 likes this.
  4. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

Hellacious Rock tasting phenomenal. Better than I recall from the pub a few years ago.

5. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (479) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Loving Sticky this year. Such a nice break from what may have been too much haze recently.

6. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

Agreed! Thought the same thing when I cracked my first bottle. May be my favorite of the Hoppy Holidays

7. WolverineShorts

WolverineShorts Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2017 Illinois

Has anyone seen any Sticky in Chicago?

8. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Devotee (401) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I know Beer Temple had it this week.

9. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (3,072) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Dunno if everyone's had their fill of Hoppy Holidays (really, how could you?), but Busch's in Canton has two big old stacks on the floor if anyone needs/wants some.
    [​IMG]

Short's must've upped the output this year.

chrismattlin and VABA like this.
  10. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Devotee (401) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone know if super hoppy holidays hit (or is hitting) Chicago?

11. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Meyvn (1,179) Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

Any sightings of super hoppy holidays in northeast Ohio?

12. fromer

fromer Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2014 Michigan

There's roughly 6 packs at Country Market in Adrian.

13. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (109) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Finally got my hands on the few singles I wanted out of the Hoppy pack. Hellacious Rock is top quality, and I'm hoping to see this next year as a sixer.
    The Slurm Lord is a tad better than last time but imo still a miss of what it could be. You guys really have to change the yeast used on this beer...

14. Zorak2

Zorak2 Initiate (48) Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

Looks like we are getting a 7th variety pack this year. Im sure the Peach Tea Mild will be excellent if it is anything like London Fog.

[​IMG]

Zaphog and Tripel_Threat like this.
  15. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Chinaski is back!

Also, I swear I've checked the release news in the last five days, but I didn't see the Juicy Tree release info until now. I like throwing up the decorations while having a few. Saw some at the store earlier today, so it's definitely out on the shelves.

Zorak2, VABA and PapaGoose03 like this.
  16. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Okay, so I feel a little bad because I kinda just quick-posted the Juicy Tree launch while running around and gave it the short-shrift. Most of us here have been around for a while, but for people just coming to Short's, I want to make sure they check this release out. From the website:

Drinking a Juicy Tree is like sipping a gin-spiked cranberry juice whilst strolling through a moonlight, snow-covered forest of bedecked Christmas trees. If you could put time in a bottle, and that time was the period between Thanksgiving and New Year, it would be Juicy Tree.

What's also awesome is that this is - IMO, of course, Short's biggest stretch of heavy hitters every year*. Juicy, Cup a Joe, and Liberator usually finish the year in an awesome way, with Sticky kinda kicking things off the last two years. If someone's new to Short's, November - December is not a bad time for them to start.

*(it would be stronger if say, Evil Urges or JSTL FKA Aphasia made an appearance as in years past. Mostly Evil Urges, though)

PapaGoose03 and chrismattlin like this.
  17. BWichmann74

While I am psyched for 6 packs of Superfluid again and can pretty much guarantee I'll drink a case myself, I must confess that the absence of Hopstache is a bummer. I'm certain Shorts can't go a full calendar year with out making sure it makes an appearance, but this beer doesn't belong in a variety pack. While I'm here, where's Dan's Pink Skirt??

I must confess I feel a bit like a privledged spoiled brat but I would love to see the IPA lineup from Shorts for 2018 to include 6 packs of Superfuid, Hopstache, and Dan's Pink Skirt as they are my top 3!!!

Tracker83 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  18. BWichmann74

I was taken by surprise on how good Hellcious Rock is - I didn't remember this beer being so good. I really hope this beer becomes available in 6 packs next year as I'm already wishing I had more than 2 bottles from the Hoppy Holidays pack.

This being said, Batch 5000 was my favorite. While I can understand that such a big beer won't be everyone's favorite, this is honestly the best beer I've had from the style. So many IPA's above 12% are such a mess but this beer has such a solid balance and the heat is masked beautifully without a harsh finish. I've had this beer at every availability and it's always so good. I might have to go and reevaluate my original rating....

19. Lazhal

Trader

This all day. One minor exception is Freedom of 78', but I'm not sure it counts since it's a collab.

Zorak2 likes this.
  20. Selby56

Selby56 Initiate (71) Nov 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

I got my Super Hoppy Holidays pack last weekend while in Indy. Been sick most of this week, so I am just now diving into it. Not sure where to start, I am just so giddy about having all these great Shorts IPAs.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  21. Lazhal

Trader

I'm going to assume this was a rhetorical question. After all your asking a bunch of beer nerds which beer to drink. The one and only answer is all of them. Enjoy the sampler!

BWichmann74 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  22. BWichmann74

Where to start would depend on when you're drinking them. Slurm Lord and PGGB are the lower ABV of the bunch and could be drank at any time and enjoyed. BTW - The PGGB from this batch is drinking great!! The rest crank it up a notch and I would recommend drinking slowly when you have no responsibility and no where to go. Definitely don't open up a Batch 5000 after a few beers as this would be a waste. Respect the high ABV and treat this one as a special treat - I personally waited until I had some new vinyl to spin and sipped it for about 1 hour while sitting back and enjoying some new tunes.....

I have been treating this pack with respect and drinking them when I can sit and truly enjoy and it's worked great for me!! One night I decided (foolishly) to crack open a Stache Bender as the third beer of the night from the pack and I woke up in the middle of the night with a good 9 ounces still left in the glass - such a waste....

23. BWichmann74

My bad - substitute Hellacious Rock for PGGB in my statement above as PGGB hits double digit ABV (although this beer is great as always as well)

24. jaybags

jaybags Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2012 Michigan

i finally found a hoppy holidays packs in the middle of meijer. not the middle of the beer aisle, the middle of meijer.

25. jaybags

jaybags Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2012 Michigan

love the pack though.

should hellacious rock have floaties?

26. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Mine did as well. Tasted fine, though.

chrismattlin likes this.
  27. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

IPA heaven. I put most of the Hellacious Rock in the packs, by the way. :sunglasses:

28. BeyondDescription

Trader

Cup A Joe packaged yesterday and today. Will hit the Great Lakes Region- all kegs and cases.

29. fAtHanD

fAtHanD Initiate (120) Mar 7, 2007 Michigan

Sean I see above that Good Humans is part of Variety Pack 7. Does that mean no 6-packs of Humans in January?

30. BeyondDescription

Trader

That's right!

31. Greenstone

Greenstone Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2017 Michigan
    Deactivated

Just saw mega bev in Battle Creek still has bottles of the BBA cherry porter if anyone didn’t get a chance to try it earlier this year. Good solid beer.

steebo777, king75 and Blutz like this.
  32. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (109) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Cannot stress it enough how much I want you guys to put this in sixers. Best beer from Short's all year. Also keep the floaties.

33. MistaDobalina

MistaDobalina Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2017 Chile

I've been in the habit of taking a screenshot of the release calendars when they initially roll out each year to see how much they change over time. Here's 2017. You can see why they likely decided to scale things back and only announce specialties by the seasons.

Initial Release:

[​IMG]

And Finalized Output:

[​IMG]

Tripel_Threat, Zorak2 and JohnnyHopps like this.
  34. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Zealot (505) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Cup A Joe = my favorite coffee stout hands down! Chief Hopper was my favorite six pack first timer of 2017. Hope it finds its way back in 2018.

Zorak2, JohnnyHopps and GuyFawkes like this.
  35. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Two release announcements in the last few days. New seasonal release, Double Magician:

[​IMG]

New limited release, Cup A Joe:

[​IMG]

Cup A Joe is so nice that a few years ago I suggested to the in-laws that we stop by Higher Grounds in the Commons. They loved it, and I looked like a genius instead of a guy really into booze. The Cup A Joe branded beans are available for purchase, too.

36. BeyondDescription

Trader

Liberator packaged today!

37. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Initiate (139) Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

As I power through the tail end of the 7th variety pack of the year I feel the need to say...fresh Good Humans is a mind-blowingly good beer, to my tastes at least. I've had it in the past but always with a month or two on it, and it was still really good. But with the dry-hops shining bright though the delicious brown malt base this stuff is really really great. Wow.

Really like the Russian Imperial too, really intensely hoppy but the thick malty backbone stands up well.

38. Zorak2

Zorak2 Initiate (48) Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

I love Cup A Joe and always look forward to it every Novemeber. I finally bought the Cup A Joe coffee beans earlier this year and I'm definately buying more than one bag next time Im at Short's mart.

39. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

Cup a Joe is my jam, love it every year.

40. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,417) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Saw the Double Magician announcement & immediately had a flashback. Yep...I'll be getting as much of this as I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.