Short's Brewing Releases & Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BeyondDescription, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I'm team White Pepper all the way!

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  2. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

Man I would if I hadn’t just hit it up a couple weeks ago for Bourbon Ben’s Asthma! Went with the Old Man Thunder, usually go with either that or White Pepper. Sounds like I better give Sketches a whirl too.

Tough to convince 3 young kids and my wife to spend several hours of their weekend so dad can swig some killer brews but I get away with it more than I should!

Zaphog and Tripel_Threat like this.
  3. lotsaswigs

Oops. Comment above meant to reply to Tripel_Threat. I suck at this.

#2323 lotsaswigs, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  4. Zaphog

Zaphog Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Just opened this Bourbon Barrel Sustenance from 2013 and I'm extremely surprised with how well it has aged. It's delicious! Still has great barrel, nice roastiness, mouthfeel is spot on! I'm impressed! Hope this gets bottled again one day!

5. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Slight update to the release schedule, there's now a portfolio page for Sticky Boots.

"Sticky Boots is a triple dry-hopped Double IPA. Copper in color with a substantial white head carrying dank aromas of floral and citrus hops. Leading with strong tropical flavors and a juicy mouthfeel, this beer transitions into highlighting the floral hops. Well balanced and easy to drink, Sticky Boots finishes with huge juicy tropical flavors.

7.0% ABV
    90 IBU"

Whoever had the "DIPA" square on the Guess the Style sheet, collect your prize.

lotsaswigs and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. king75

king75 Jul 27, 2010 Michigan

Just an FYI for everyone Short's anniversary tickets went on sale today!

Tripel_Threat and KeyserGose like this.
  7. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

A new look for an old favorite becomes official:

[​IMG]

Here's to Local's new look. No word if there'll be a corresponding change to Citra Local's.

8. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Also, here's another refresh and two new labels. First up, a refresh that appears in the poster for Short's Anni party: ControversiALE

[​IMG]

Looks like ControversiALE is leaving behind its Hangin' Frank past once and for all.

And here's New Style :

[​IMG]

Lastly, what could be my favorite label I've seen in a while, Most Excellent Stellar:

[​IMG]

lotsaswigs, Zorak2, strohme2 and 3 others like this.
  9. WIexile

WIexile Jul 20, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Hmmm triple dry hopped you say? Sounds like cat grass.... Hoping it will be tasty.

10. king75

Curious if most excellent stellar and new style will be in a variety pack coming up or new additions to the release schedule as 6 packs. Either way sounds interesting!

11. cl3

cl3 Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Here is to hoping New Style sees distro outside of MI. Mandarina Hops and and a Short's Pils are all I needed to hear.

12. Tracker83

Tracker83 Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Please tell me Most Excellent Stellar is an imperial/double version of Stellar Ale! I love Stellar Ale!

Zaphog likes this.
  13. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Indeed it is! It's mentioned in the portfolio entry for Most Excellent.

Tracker83 likes this.
  14. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

I'm thinking variety pack, but part of me hopes - despite the space themed poster that's been released - that Most Excellent is meant to be an Anni party ale. There's been BTTF and Karate Kid themes, and a series of Bill & Ted themed brews sounds awesome to me.

15. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Upcoming Derby Julip release: golden ale aged in bourbon barrels with mint. Still kegs only, for MI.

16. KeyserGose

KeyserGose Jun 7, 2016 Michigan

Here's the next MI only release!

[​IMG]

noun: Cat’s Pajamas

1. informal
    Lingo describing someone (something) who is great, incredible or special. Usually indicating stylishness or innovation. Pajamas were a relatively new fashion in the 1920s. The term “cat” was beginning to be used as a term to describe the out going and unconventional jazz-age flappers.

Focus your audio on this and keep your claws sharp while I describe this choice bit of Calico. Alright, that was too much old-time-y slang…“Tell it to Sweeney!” This is a beer that is just as comfortable to drink cuddled up next to a fire with your favorite feline on your lap as it is lounging next to a pool…again with a cat on your lap. Why would anyone ever do anything without their cat on their lap? It doesn’t even have to be your cat, literally any cat will do. You are the weird one, not me.

Cat’s Pajamas (9.7% ABV – 70 IBU) is a Double IPA brewed with blood orange and guava. This India Pale Ale is pale orange in color with big aromas of sweet, tropical fruit. Cat’s Pajamas is balanced with flavors of sweet fruit and bitter hops and has a resinous, mouth coating feel. High in ABV, this beer finishes dry with a bit of warmth.

Originally brewed for our friends at HopCat, six-packs of Kitty PJs are now headed your way. So grab your fuzzy friend and head down to the corner store to experience some ornately orange-y overtones tickling your olfactory orifice.

17. chrismattlin

chrismattlin May 10, 2014 Ohio

Where is there any mention of Cat's Pajamas being MI only? We received it in Ohio last year and I'd love to pick it up again this year.

18. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

It's on the release schedule.

chrismattlin likes this.
  19. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You're probably thinking of Psychedelic Cat Grass last year. I don't think Cat's Pajamas has been in bottles before this year. The link in @Triple_Threat's post above is where to look to see what is coming. It's not yet complete for the Specialties for all of 2018.

chrismattlin likes this.
  20. chrismattlin

chrismattlin May 10, 2014 Ohio

Thanks @Mothergoose03 and @Tripel_Threat

What a bummer. We definitely got 6 packs last year- I even reupped with a 2nd and 3rd 6er! My go-to store in Indiana had it as well.

Looking at the calendar, we won't get Freedom of '78 this year either; another bummer as I really liked that one too.

I wonder if this is anecdotal evidence that Shorts isn't doing so great in their expanded distro footprint?

21. KeyserGose

KeyserGose Jun 7, 2016 Michigan

[​IMG]

Short’s Brewing Company announces the expansion of their Elk Rapids production facility. This expansion will include installation of a new canning line, additional fermentation tanks, upgrades to brewing systems, and new office space.

Fueled by strengthening sales in the last half of 2017 and early 2018, Short’s is excited to install a new canning line in April to package current flagship products and new seasonal items in both six packs and 12 packs, including the wildly popular Soft Parade Shandy. The new KHS canner will have the capacity to fill 225 cans per minute alongside additional equipment manufactured by Design Machine Manufacturing, Mumm Products, Arrowhead Conveyance, and Ska Fabricating. The new can filling line was manufactured in the USA and will double the current packaging capacity of the Short’s production facility. The canning line will be accompanied by a 30% increase in fermentation tank capacity which will be commissioned simultaneously with the canner’s startup.

According to the Director of Quality, Tyler Glaze, ”The BFT cellar and this new state of the art can filling line will increase the quality and integrity of our canned products as well as the efficiency of our overall operation. We are currently packaging as fast as we can and this canner will boost our ability to get beer to thirsty people. It’s also a huge point of pride to be able to source an awesome can filling line using machines manufactured in the United States.”

With the production facility expansion, Short’s is in the process of adding at least eight new positions including two new members of the Packaging Team, one new Cellar Worker, one additional Brewer, and one additional Quality Team member. To strengthen their commitment to existing markets, Short’s has also added three new positions to the Sales Team to ensure representation in every state within their current Great Lakes distribution footprint. Short’s has also transitioned their Illinois distribution partnerships to Windy City, RJ Distributing, Koerner Distributor, Hayes Beer Distributing, and Euclid Beverage.

When asked about distribution and sales, Scott Newman-Bale, partner, said “We are delighted at the position and growth throughout our current territory. We are grateful that natural growth is allowing us to focus on making existing markets better rather than having to add a large amount of new territories.”

Financing for the expansion which totalled approximately $2 million was provided by Traverse City State Bank.

22. lotsaswigs

Yep, I remember getting this in Indiana last year as well. Just checked the old 2017 release schedule and it’s on there so we weren’t imagining it!

I just wish I liked these fruit infused ipas more than I do...Really looking forward to Sticky Boots.

chrismattlin and Tripel_Threat like this.
  23. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

Loved it last year when it was distributed to Ohio. Cat's Pajamas and Hellacious Rock were my favorite beers last year. Bummed to see it is just a MI release this year.

chrismattlin likes this.
  24. cl3

cl3 Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

MELT MY BRAIN SEASON IS ALMOST HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*edit: Sorry, looked at the release calendar and got a little excited.

25. whatsleftofyou

whatsleftofyou Mar 12, 2006 Michigan

And they’re doing 12ers of cans. I will be buying several of them.

MIbeer27, Zorak2 and cl3 like this.
  26. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Don't feel down, 'cause it's...

NEW BEER UP!

[​IMG]

Is it the new Hazy version? Nope, it's the classic ControversiALE in a brand new look. You know it, you love it, and now this seasonal is heading to shelves near you!

27. lotsaswigs

28. Mikecd234

Mikecd234 Jun 24, 2015 Michigan

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  29. WIexile

WIexile Jul 20, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Controversial = ok. Need the hazy version to come back.... Been a little disappointed so far with this year Shorts IPA releases, hoping they turn it around.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  30. Tracker83

Tracker83 Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

dude, we just had 2 months of Superfluid! Chief Hopper from the variety pack was solid as well. As a certified hop head I've been satisfied.

31. Zorak2

Zorak2 Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

Agreed. I thought Buffalo Brewzer was very good. Nailed the Belgian style, but I wish it had just a little more Buffalo Trace kick to it.

Mikecd234 likes this.
  32. king75

Anyone heard anything about when the taplist will be released for the anniversary party this year? Getting excited as this is my favorite event i go to every year!

33. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

While we await the next release (Obliviate, where are you? Next variety pack?) here's a news story that I found interesting.

Some choice quotes:
    So 80% of 18.7mm is almost $15mm spent on Short's in Michigan. (Thank you, accounting degree) It's fair to say Short's is still Michigan Mostly, especially if you look at the release schedule. Now we have some concrete numbers.

Another tidbit:

As a privately held company, Short's isn't required to produce these kinds of reports but after some causal conversations with @ScottatShorts it's hard to believe they haven't done reporting before. Maybe they mean a publicly available report.

34. croush

croush Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I have to wonder if the Lagunitas investment / partnership initiated the reporting. Lots of privately held companies have to produce reports and get audited as requirements of financing. I would think that anyone making the investment that Lagunitas did would want to see some formal business and financial reporting.

Blutz and Tripel_Threat like this.
  35. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I saw a Facebook pic today of a Kzoo bottle shop's new beers 'just in' and a 6-pack of Obliviate was shown. My store should have it on Thursday (I hope, I hope, I hope).

chrismattlin and Tripel_Threat like this.
  36. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Oh, man, me too. That would mean we'd see it in another two days. Can't wait for that Quad life.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  37. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Ask and ye shall receive:

[​IMG]

There you go, it's winging it's way to stores now. Just be careful, at 12% Obliviate can cast a powerful forgetfulness charm. Accio Short's brew!

38. king75

39. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Interesting. Looks like they're sticking with the portfolio, except for one or two exceptions. Even though I'm not going, I was kinda wishing for new stuff since the parties have launched new rotating mainstays in the past few years: 13irteen, Slurm (which led to Slurm Lord), Power of Love, and Melt My Brain. Although there is a few on the tap list I would like to see in a variety pack.
    Imagine a "You Don't Know Jack" pack with Happy Jack, Bourbon Happy Jack, and Peated Bourbon Hammer Jack.

40. ypsifly

ypsifly Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

IMHO, a good number of Short’s beers do not appeal to me but Obliviate is a home run. While so many American versions of this style fall flat, this one nails it.

I don’t normally buy a full sixer of a new beer but I had a feeling this would be good and I’m damn glad I did. In fact I’m going to go in to work on my day off tomorrow and buy two more. One to enjoy over the next few weeks, the other to revisit every six months or so. It’s smooth now with a well hidden abv, but now I’m curious to see what time will do with it.

Zorak2, GuyFawkes and PapaGoose03 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.