Short's Brewing Releases & Updates

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by SeanfromShorts, May 10, 2016.

1. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Initiate (143) Sep 27, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Funny I tried the same thing at my local Kroger but they hadn't broke up the 12 packs. I had the same thing in mind!!

Convinced the guy at my local beer store to break up a 12 pack and I took 2 while he took one. Problem is I'm doing a beer swap this weekend with a guy from VA and he's getting both of my Superfluids. I'll just have to try Kroger again and if they haven't broke it up yet I'll just grab a manager and try to initiate it..........

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  2. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (1,589) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Supporter

Listen up you primitive screwheads, this is a BEER ANNOUNCEMENT:

[​IMG]

400 bottles, pub only, $11.99. Get some.

Zaphog and BWichmann74 like this.
  3. BWichmann74

Beer Trader

4. Tripel_Threat

Supporter

Oh, I know. I thought Ocho was decent, I much prefer the salty/sour ales to the straight-up sour ones that are all over the place these days. I'm heading up next weekend, so I may be able to snag one. It'd be my first Private Stache.

5. chewymangos

chewymangos Aspirant (283) Jun 12, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

6. SeanfromShorts

SeanfromShorts Aspirant (280) Feb 9, 2009 Michigan

^^ Oh my, had one last night and was completely blown away. Whoever gets their hands on one will not be disappointed.

KeyserGose likes this.
  7. strohme2

strohme2 Crusader (762) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Well, damnit. You are right!
    [​IMG]

The faded, old hops that turned Hopslam into a caramel-y mess adds some sweetness and body to Shortscake. This definitely works!

FBarber, Zorak2, Mikecd234 and 5 others like this.
  8. Tripel_Threat

Supporter

Lol. I love this community.

Zorak2, Mikecd234 and strohme2 like this.
  9. SeanfromShorts

That's a sweet pic!

strohme2 likes this.
  10. BWichmann74

Beer Trader

I went back to my local place and he agreed to break up another mixed pack so I was able to grab two Superfluids for myself. Just put one away and it is just so damn good and unique. Was a little harsh out of the gate but after warming up for 10 minutes or so really smoothed out. Been loving this beer for the last 4 years and really feel like it's a unique "gem" here in MI - nothing tastes like Superfluid!!!!

Billydoughnuts and Zaphog like this.
  11. SeanfromShorts

Necron 99 from Three Floyds, and Maine Brewing's Another One are similar, but not as good, in my opinion.

chrismattlin and BWichmann74 like this.
  12. BWichmann74

Beer Trader

Never had either but I'll be on the lookout now - if it's even close to Superfluid I'm sure I'll dig it!!

Thanks!!!

13. Tripel_Threat

Supporter

NEW BEER UP!

[​IMG]

She Uses Tangerines, Belgian strong ale with Tangerines aged in white wine barrels.

500ml bottles and ONLY available during the pre-sale for Short's Fest in Elk Rapids.

chrismattlin, Zaphog and JohnnyHopps like this.
  14. IntlDrainageCommission

IntlDrainageCommission Initiate (14) Dec 4, 2015 Australia

Flaming Lips for Shorts Anniversary 2018 confirmed?

Sparty1224 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  15. Tripel_Threat

Supporter

Waiting for Primus to play at a BBA Goodnight Bodacious release.

steebo777 likes this.
  16. Tripel_Threat

Supporter

Just noticed this one was added to the release schedule as part of the Salvacious Planemo series: it's the return of Peachy Pom Pom

[​IMG]

It's listed as TBD for Great Lakes distribution. Since it's a Salvacious Planemo and not Elk Rapids release this year I'm gonna guess we'll see this in six packs, and hopefully at a more palatable price point than the bombers last year.

17. chewymangos

Beer Trader

Damn Slurm Lord being packaged today and I leave Bellaire tomorrow morning . Loved Slurm and can only imagine this being better.

18. Blutz

Blutz Initiate (157) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Actually it's on shelves now. Just picked up a sixer today at Meijer in Ann Arbor. Can't wait to give this one a try.

19. ScottatShorts

ScottatShorts Initiate (119) Jul 26, 2013 Michigan
    Industry

That should not be. It was packaged in two runs. Half Last Friday, half today. But should not be out yet. Thanks for letting me know.

chrismattlin likes this.
  20. chewymangos

Beer Trader

Will Slurm Lord be Michigan only or full distribution?

21. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (275) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'm a bit surprised to see you have an issue with this. Especially considering the time between bottlings. Maybe there is a good reason? Mind sharing?

As a customer, I think it helps sometimes to know what's going through the breweries head too.

22. Tripel_Threat

Supporter

Welp, since it's on everyone's mind at the moment, but Slurmlord has been updated on the website:

7.7% ABV

That's a Grind Line of hops right there. I'm gonna guess this one may be Michigan only since most Great Lakes distros are indicated on the release schedule. But we'll find out soon....

chewymangos likes this.
  23. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Devotee (497) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Slurm Lord better be good, since it replaced my favorite beer Spruce Pilsner on the release schedule!

24. Tripel_Threat

Supporter

There is some good news, @HopHeadHerman did mention Spruce is going to be in the next variety pack.

Between Superfluid in the current one and Spruce in the next, I wonder if this'll be a trend for Short's variety packs. One Annual Release All-Star along with three newbies (new to bottle releases, at least)

25. Cotton_27

Beer Trader

I just hope the sampler is solid so I can buy a plethora of them to stock up on the Spruce. I know Pineapple Pilsner is in there, I just hope the other two are solid.

26. ScottatShorts

Industry

It will be on the end caps on Meijer starting Sunday. It should have not been released until then. Not the end of the world of course but like to keep things in sync.

27. ScottatShorts

Industry

Michigan Pnly although limited draft throughout the Great Lakes.

28. Blutz

Blutz Initiate (157) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Well the last thing I wanted to do was get anyone in hot water. That's a great store and I know they'll always have my latest Short's offering, so I'm there often. Hope it's not too big of a deal.

29. IntlDrainageCommission

IntlDrainageCommission Initiate (14) Dec 4, 2015 Australia

speaking of getting people in hot water, Scott can you lay to rest whether or not the bar Uptown Grill in Commerce Twp has Short's graces calling Bellaire Brown "Uptown Brown" on their menu? i would otherwise take the manager's explanation at face value, but they get the names of beers/attributions of breweries wrong more often than not, which makes me think it's a little suspect.

30. jaybags

jaybags Aspirant (258) Mar 16, 2012 Michigan

grabbed a sixer of slurm lord at my meijer too. wasnt on the end cap either

31. ScottatShorts

Industry

It is Bellaire Brown. I used to live right by the place and loved how different it was.

32. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Crusader (701) Apr 3, 2006 Michigan
    Beer Trader

If it IS Bellaire Brown, why is it different?

33. ScottatShorts

Industry

Originally they launched Uptown Brown with Magician, which at the time we used as a beer people could get and rename. They ultimately wanted a true Brown in the slot so looked for a new "house beer" They tried an Avery beer and one other before they asked if they could use Bellaire Brown which we said was fine.

If you are asking the marketing and sales idea behind it that rests with the individual account.

34. Tripel_Threat

Supporter

Learned this recently, I guess a few brewer's do this. They allow a bar to use one of their ales as a house ale. Pete's Place in Taylor has Pete's Wheat, which is Short’s Beach/Snow Wheat.

35. landrewg

landrewg Initiate (184) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Short's is the worst, amirite?

36. Tripel_Threat

Supporter

Dunno if you're being serious or not, since it's hard to detect sarcasm in print only. I'm going to guess that you are, since it looks like your last dozen or so posts on BA are bitching about one thing or the other so I'm going to give a serious answer. No, it's not the worst. As I said, it's common for brewers to do this. If you take 30 seconds you'll be able to find and read a thread here about this very practice. The only problem I have with it is if I'm reviewing a beer here on BA, I want to make sure I'm reviewing the right one.

SeanfromShorts and Mothergoose03 like this.
  37. landrewg

landrewg Initiate (184) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I used to be a big Short's fanboy like you but I haven't liked most of their business decisions for the last couple years. I should probably give it up but I still can't help rustling jimmies.

38. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (269) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Slurm Lord bottles sold out at the brewery, would have been nice if the website was updated so I would have known not to bother driving out of my way to buy some. I was offered a taste (it's very good) and told I couldn't buy a crowler either. I was solo with the kids so I couldn't sit down to enjoy a full pour. I certainly don't want to sound like some sort of entitled douchebag but it would be nice if breweries updated their websites so customers don't get irritated by driving out of their way to pick up beer that is apparently sold out. To the guys that work at Shorts, please take this as constructive criticism. And if you know anywhere I can buy a 6pk between Cheboygan and Grand Rapids tomorrow, it would be appreciated.

chrismattlin likes this.
  39. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (269) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

On a positive note, tasted Tunnel Bear felt it was quite good for the style so the trip to Bellaire wasn't completely in vain as there were bottles to go.

40. Cotton_27

Beer Trader

Grabbed a six pack of Slurm Lord yesterday, drinking my second one now. I like this beer alot, its leaps and bounds better than Slurm in my opinion. I would say its one of the better NEIPA I've had. Juicy yet hoppy, perfectly balanced.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.