Short's Freedom of '78 (Pure Guava IPA)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BeyondDescription, Apr 2, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut

Awesome. Guess I shouldn't take the few shorts offerings I find out here for granted. Forgot that GABF allows us to see some product near Boston.

2. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2012 California

Hello. I called the brewery and they recommended I try this approach but as I am sure most everyone around here knows they do not ship outside of Michigan. Anyone want beer that I may be able to obtain in Los Angeles that you cannot get in Michigan so we can trade? Excuse me if I sound like a moron but this is my first post here on this site..thank you.

3. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2012 California

Sorry, my earlier post may be misplaced..I think I should be in the trading forum..

GoldenChild likes this.
  4. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Grand Pooh-Bah (3,036) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I am grateful that I am in easy driving distance to Michigan (as well as Wisconsin for New Glarus) when I make the drive to stock up every couple of months. I hope there is still going to be some the Freedom of '78 in my Shorts stock up store in 2 weeks.

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  5. adamdd

adamdd Initiate (0) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Picked up a six pack today in Kalamazoo. Keep your eyes open around the state this week.

Wade5614 likes this.
  6. MichPaul

MichPaul Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Michigan

Do you mind giving the store name and such? I have a contact there that may also be able to pick me up a pack. Was there much left?

7. gueuzer

gueuzer Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Here's a link to a little more info on the Ween background of the name.

http://inyourguts.blogspot.com/2010/06/ween-beer.html

As a huge Ween fan, I think this is pretty damn cool. I'm still wondering why its called "Freedom of 78" and not "Freedom of 76" like the song though.

8. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

Do you know if this will be available around the Chicago area if Half Acre is involved? Or are they brewing their own version?

9. ravot

ravot Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois

i picked up a growler of chocolate camaro last week and spoke beer for a couple of minutes. i mentioned freedom of 78 to one of the dudes, they didn't even know it was re released. in the past, i know they brought up different brewery names for collabs as a tease, but never spilled the whole beans. he seemed genuinely shocked. so i doubt it. i really wish though.

10. trginter

trginter Pundit (755) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan

Drakes Party Center has tons.

MichPaul likes this.
  11. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

I'm not sure if Half Acre will be brewing it again. Ours will not be distributed in Chicago.

12. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

It's called Freedom of '78 because that's the year the brewer's were born. It's a reference to Ween, with a slight change.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  13. Weter

Weter Devotee (339) Oct 24, 2011 Michigan

What's everyone paying for a 6 pack? My local shop notoriously marks up beer, so I just want a frame of reference.

14. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Pooh-Bah (1,904) Apr 3, 2006 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

I bought a couple of other beers (imagine that) but I think it was $11 or $12 / 6 pack

15. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

$12 a Sixer at the legit places, $13-$15 at the rest of the shops.

16. NSaad23

NSaad23 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Michigan

Just picked up a sixer today, looking forward to trying it out later. Was $12.99 where I purchased it.

17. MichPaul

MichPaul Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Michigan

I also managed to find some of this yesterday. Some feedback by anyone that's tried it? A little bit later I will try it!

18. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

got some today! think I paid 10.99 for it. it was good, very different then I expected, smelled like peaches, tasted like peaches, almost reminded me of zombie dust except less citrusy.

19. ravot

ravot Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois

^^^ mmm! hoping to get a case to me in chicago.

20. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

I don't think I could drink a case, a sixer was enough, not saying its not good, just not really a great ipa.

MichPaul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.