Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Shot Beer aims for the lager market

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

More: http://www.startribune.com/business/215333981.html

2. sliverX

sliverX Oct 5, 2007 S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

o_O:confused:
    What is this mysterious mass market hoppy lager? I'd like some.

Golden Vodka Tonics? Those things invented because people don't like gin for some reason...

3. palmdalethriller

palmdalethriller Dec 26, 2007 California

I saw this thanks to Lew Bryson on twitter. Ugh. What's the point? Why do marketing companies think they can either brew a better beer than Budweiser (Miller, Coors, Stella, whatever) or do a better job of marketing than them? Craft brewers have had success precisely because they brew beer that's more flavorful (or as this PR claims bitter and hoppy) than the big boys. The best selling craft beers are IPAs, not Blonde Ales.

Sigh. This feels destined to go the way of New Century Brewing Co.

4. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Contract brewers are a curiosity to me. On the one hand, I think they'll move some units on the novelty of their brand and their marketing campaigns and they quite potentially will develop followings with certain groups (as in the case of young adults that AREN'T craft beer fans), but they're starting out of the gate cutting out some serious demographics.Craft beer faithful want local, they want beers with a story, tradition, a solid reputation, all things that Shot Beer won't have. The name alone, Shot Beer, screams marketing scheme and begs not to be taken seriously.

Ultimately, I think this beer will go the way of Zima and other novelty beers that focused more on a name than taste.

5. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

But you can fool some of the people some of the time. And that may be all these entrepreneurs are looking for.

6. jmw

jmw Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

"Nobody really makes their own products. They outsource it."
    Destined to fail in their chosen risk market.

frazbri likes this.
  7. Keyportnick

Keyportnick Sep 29, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I've had this beer sampled to me from the sales rep in my store. It was bad. It tasted like fake sweet corn. I don't usually diss a beer but this stuff was pretty terrible. The company and the appeal of the rep looked like some guys with a half assed marketing plan and a want to get rich idea off the rise of craft beer. Steer clear of this one.

Chuk_Hell likes this.
  8. Duff27

Duff27 Feb 10, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Why would I want to buy something from them?

Beer taste preferences aside, that seems like a shitty, money-only attitude to have towards brewing/beer. I understand the business side of things but how about taking pride and having a sense of passion for what you are doing.

9. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Nothing like a start-up trying to act like a multi-national. But then again, it's a different approach.

10. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

I love AAL's. I don't love the sound of this. I'll stick to Bud. Swing and a miss there, Shot Beer.

11. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

Wow, I just checked out their website...that bottle/label design is a fucking eyesore. Ugh.

12. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Didn't BBC (Sam Adams) try that a few years ago with Triple Bock? (Beer so "good" and strong it only came in 8 oz corked bottles? That was well before Utopias...) Actually, this sounds more like another lame alternative to Mike's Hard, Smirnoff Ice and Corona...

13. frazbri

frazbri Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

This looks like a moneygrab, plain and simple. The speculators and investment banker types that enter the brewing world like "Shot Beer" fail to understand that the product is what differentiates "craft" brewing from the multinationals, not the packaging.

Chuk_Hell likes this.
  14. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Wow. Destined to win awards.

How about no...

15. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yeah, nobody in the craft beer business makes their own beer (product). This guy is spot on. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe