Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Shot Beer aims for the lager market

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

More: http://www.startribune.com/business/215333981.html

2. sliverX

o_O:confused:
    What is this mysterious mass market hoppy lager? I'd like some.

Golden Vodka Tonics? Those things invented because people don't like gin for some reason...

3. palmdalethriller

I saw this thanks to Lew Bryson on twitter. Ugh. What's the point? Why do marketing companies think they can either brew a better beer than Budweiser (Miller, Coors, Stella, whatever) or do a better job of marketing than them? Craft brewers have had success precisely because they brew beer that's more flavorful (or as this PR claims bitter and hoppy) than the big boys. The best selling craft beers are IPAs, not Blonde Ales.

Sigh. This feels destined to go the way of New Century Brewing Co.

4. ONovoMexicano

Subscriber Beer Trader

Contract brewers are a curiosity to me. On the one hand, I think they'll move some units on the novelty of their brand and their marketing campaigns and they quite potentially will develop followings with certain groups (as in the case of young adults that AREN'T craft beer fans), but they're starting out of the gate cutting out some serious demographics.Craft beer faithful want local, they want beers with a story, tradition, a solid reputation, all things that Shot Beer won't have. The name alone, Shot Beer, screams marketing scheme and begs not to be taken seriously.

Ultimately, I think this beer will go the way of Zima and other novelty beers that focused more on a name than taste.

5. otispdriftwood

Beer Trader

But you can fool some of the people some of the time. And that may be all these entrepreneurs are looking for.

6. jmw

jmw

"Nobody really makes their own products. They outsource it."
    Destined to fail in their chosen risk market.

frazbri likes this.
  7. Keyportnick

Beer Trader

I've had this beer sampled to me from the sales rep in my store. It was bad. It tasted like fake sweet corn. I don't usually diss a beer but this stuff was pretty terrible. The company and the appeal of the rep looked like some guys with a half assed marketing plan and a want to get rich idea off the rise of craft beer. Steer clear of this one.

Chuk_Hell likes this.
  8. Duff27

Beer Trader

Why would I want to buy something from them?

Beer taste preferences aside, that seems like a shitty, money-only attitude to have towards brewing/beer. I understand the business side of things but how about taking pride and having a sense of passion for what you are doing.

9. otispdriftwood

Beer Trader

Nothing like a start-up trying to act like a multi-national. But then again, it's a different approach.

10. Feel_the_Darkness

I love AAL's. I don't love the sound of this. I'll stick to Bud. Swing and a miss there, Shot Beer.

11. Feel_the_Darkness

Wow, I just checked out their website...that bottle/label design is a fucking eyesore. Ugh.

12. Beerandraiderfan

"Shot Beer"?

Hmm. The "o" and the "i" are right next to each other on a keyboard, this was just a typing error probably. . .

VictorWisc likes this.
  13. VictorWisc

Didn't BBC (Sam Adams) try that a few years ago with Triple Bock? (Beer so "good" and strong it only came in 8 oz corked bottles? That was well before Utopias...) Actually, this sounds more like another lame alternative to Mike's Hard, Smirnoff Ice and Corona...

14. frazbri

This looks like a moneygrab, plain and simple. The speculators and investment banker types that enter the brewing world like "Shot Beer" fail to understand that the product is what differentiates "craft" brewing from the multinationals, not the packaging.

Chuk_Hell likes this.
  15. CassinoNorth

Beer Trader

Wow. Destined to win awards.

How about no...

16. kawilliams81

Beer Trader

Yeah, nobody in the craft beer business makes their own beer (product). This guy is spot on. :eek:

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe