Should BAs start staying away from Goose Island?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hitter114, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seanibus

Seanibus Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2004 California

Agreed on all the "Drink what you like" comments - I don't much care who brews the beer so long as it tastes good. If InBev screws up Goose Island, cuts corners, compromises the taste then stop drinking it. Until then, drink what tastes good and what meets your needs.

Gregg_Kawakami and ElderPuma like this.
  2. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,376) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I believe we should limit our purchasing of Goose Island beers, just as I believe we should limit our purchasing of a number of other products made by companies with a track record of trying to suppress small businesses. I believe Abinbev will continue to make it difficult for smaller breweries to get their products on shelfs and in bars. I don't want to support that.

It is near impossible to live completely "off the grid," however that doesn't mean limiting the amount one supports a company (that is more likely to spend a portion of their products outside of the US) is a bad thing. While all companies, even the smallest of mom and pop breweries want to ultimately suppress the competition and make a lot of money, there is a way to do while supporting the craft beer movement in general.

In short, I'd rather support a brewery that has the priority of making money and supporting the craft brew community than a company like Abinbev that, as far as I have seen, cares about money exlusively.

As such, I do not purchase any Abinbev products inlcuding beers I have previous really enjoyed such as Bourbon County Stout and Pilsner Urquell. I'd rather buy KBS and Jabby Brau and support companies that are doing right by craft beer.

I don't think people who support Abinbev are bad people, nor do I try to "convert them" or turn them against Abinbev. They are allowed their reason to purchase, and I respect that. I too am allowed my reasons.

Additionally, I would like to add that the "if the beer tastes good, who cares who brews it" mentality is, in my opinion, a silly argument. Everyone has their limits of what they are willing to accept from a company. If a company made an amazing beer but did horrible things to its employees or poisoned the community with toxic waste, you may not want that beer any longer regardless of the taste. Again, everyone has their limits. It just so happens that some, like myself, have those limits crossed by Abinbev's current behavior, while others do not. Again, different strokes for different folks.

Caleb, thenamestsam, JimKal and 13 others like this.
  3. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

I love Goose Island beers and will continue to drink them as long as the quality remains where it is. Do I hate it they were bought out by InBev? Yes. But then I look at New Belgium, and Sierra Nevada, two breweries now expanding and moving into new markets and opening new breweries across the nation and realize whether I like it or not, capitalism is alive and well in this great Country we live in. As long as the product is quality and the price is reasonable I will drink what I like irregardless of who or where or how it is done. Sell out? If you want to label me then so be it. But free enterprise is what made us great. I will continue to support the micro breweries. And when I look at ones like Alpine and Russian River I am not worried they will go under. The demand for their high quality product will not end.

RobertColianni and ElderPuma like this.
  4. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

People should think for themselves. That said, people should be informed about what it is they are buying or considering buying. Information should be made more readily available. To paraphrase Greg Koch, 312 is breweed 2 states away, but it is represented as a locally brewed product for the Chicago market. BCBS is a great product, and I wish I could say I wouldn't buy it but damn it's good. Sadly, I think because of the success of Goose Island, will lead to the consumption of many other regional brewers by the big guys at some point in time.

frazbri likes this.
  5. ElderPuma

ElderPuma Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012

Just to extrapolate a slight tangent off this quickly: Would anyone who won't drink GI due to the InBev relation then also refuse to drink anything offered by and of the big 3? What if it is all that is available? Would you rather then go thirsty? Where do the rules stop? When I go golfing and the best option I have on the course is a Heineken can I not drink anything period?

Just my opinion but I'd rather have some beer than no beer at all. I never actively seek out the BMC stuff but if it is that or nothing, throw me a beer.

6. Tut

Tut Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2004 New York

That's a profound insight.:rolling_eyes: Did it just come to you in a flash?
    No point in any further discussion of the issue.

RobertColianni and visionaries like this.
  7. ElderPuma

So you are really going to jump up on the high horse and pretend that you have never ever been influenced by factors such as price or convenience and thus passed up the local/small/insert whatever option and instead went with the big business version?

8. Kinsman

Kinsman Maven (1,421) Aug 26, 2009 Nevada

It would be silly for BA's to start now considering AB-InBev bought Goose Island 2 years ago. I remember lots of angry posts back when it happened but tempers have certainly cooled since and so far it seems there's been no decrease in quality. Personally I gave up on trying to boycott BMC a long time ago. I'm comfortable with the fact that at least 80-90% of the beer I drink does come from independent/craft/ brewers but I'm not going to worry about the occasional macro because sometimes the situation calls for cheap beer. Even with foreign ownership of the big three, it's not like the Budweiser sold here is now being brewed in Belgium or Miller brewed in South Africa. There are bigger fish to fry when it comes to big corporations.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  9. palmdalethriller

palmdalethriller Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2007 California

Cue Ayn Rand readers' righteous anger at your tirade against selfishness.

mjc3151 and Kuemmelbrau like this.
  10. ElderPuma

Well put and I completely agree. As much as I dislike big business it is simply also a fact of life. I do my best to avoid it but there are times when it is unavoidable. At the end of the day I can live with my choices and that is all that really matters. I don't completely hate myself when I do have to drink a BMC (but I do think a small part of your soul does die each time :slight_smile: ).

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  11. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

If GI stopped making BCBS and its variants, how many BA's would still buy from GI?

RobertColianni likes this.
  12. ElderPuma

I'd still be all over Juliet but I also don't know the last time I grabbed any of their regular offerings....you know, the ones actually brewed by InBev.

13. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (3,988) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

To tell the truth, I stayed away from 312 before A-B bought Goose Island -- it's the one label I just didn't like.

RobertColianni likes this.
  14. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

As long as they continue to churn out amazing products I don't give two honks where or who makes it.

15. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,153) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Make sure you don't shop at Target or Walmart because you'll look like a hypocrit avoiding GI. Be sure to buy all your food from local farms and build your house from reclaimed wood and fallen trees.

Gosox8787, davey101, Etan and 6 others like this.
  16. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

So you are "who cares guy" masquerading as "craft beer high horse guy"?

I didn't see that coming.

17. BigBarley

BigBarley Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2011 Texas

Sellout!

And I'm with the sellout, sometimes after mowing the lawn I like to drink 4 natural lights (exactly four, no more, no less) and it doesn't bother me in the least.
    Anheuser Busch isn't ever going away. The best we can hope for is to spread as much accurate information about beer as we can, and do out best to let folks know that "it all tastes the same anyway" is a foolish statement.

And pray for a blunder of BP proportions that wipes out all macro brew!:grinning:

18. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Pooh-Bah (2,775) Apr 14, 2008 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

It's amusing to me that if you asked a similar question about food, the answers would be far different. Say I liked produce from Monsanto and sold at Wal-Mart and mentioned it; I doubt the majority of responses would be, "If you like it, eat it!" Instead you would be flooded with responses about how evil giant corporations are and how you should eat local and/or organic as much as possible. When it comes to beer, though, many seem to turn a blind eye.

For me, I've always considered GI to be one of the most overrated breweries out there even before they sold out. Now I have another reason not to buy their products other than them simply not being that good IMO. I might miss Sofie every now and then, but that's about the only one.

19. jimctin

jimctin Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Deactivated

For us in Ontario, the InBev purchase of GI has made GI products available to us now. There is no way I am going to pass up the chance to get good beer that has never been available to me before. If it is good, I will continue to purchase it.

Flashy likes this.
  20. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Canada (ON)

I'd say if you can find an independent product that is equivalent or better than a Goose Island product, buy the independent one. But if not, buy Goose Island.

I buy Unibroue even though they're owned by Sapporo and, I suspect, sell their beer at below market value in Quebec to hurt the independent breweries in Quebec.

21. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

My issue is not that A-BInBev is a large corporation or that there sole reason for existence is profit. I don't have any problem with that at all. Go America! Go free market capitalism!

My problem is their business practices. They engage at the local level in practices that are attempts to limit the access to beer that I want. There is no disputing their attempts to do so. There may be some dispute about how successful they are in the practice.

For this reason and this reason only, I do not buy their products, Goose Island included.

22. bleakies

bleakies Maven (1,319) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I don't understand the assumption that if you oppose one corporation you must therefore oppose all of them or else opposing the one will somehow become illegitimate. No one lives in full logical consistency and anyone who expects otherwise is either misguided, a robot, or someone who doesn't want to take responsibility for any of their actions.

frazbri, rlcoffey and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  23. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

If someone enjoys the beer, why shouldn't they buy it?

I don't really like any of their beers enough to regularly buy them, but I'll occasionally get some at the bar if GI is one of the only good options.

24. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

imo, so long as goose is putting out new beers like sofie paradisi and cherry rye (two I can think of that were clearly after the merger), that I dont care who is running the show. If the beer comes out good, then Im sold

25. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I really hate these labels bring put on beer consumers (beer snob, macro swill drinker, etc)

The reason I drink beer is because it's tasty. I dont care about the size of the brewery or the way it's run or managed. If the beer is good, I will buy it. Everything else is just gossipy shit that i want no part of.

jimctin, willbm3, Mojo and 1 other person like this.
  26. DrinkinViking

DrinkinViking Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2011 Indiana

Wow, that escalated quickly.
    What beer are they limiting that you want? After the AB buyout, they have increased production in Chicago, and created jobs at the local level. There was more Bourbon County released last year than any of the previous. Their barrel program has expanded as well adding more beers to the portfolio. Pere Jacques, Pepe Nero, Sofie, and Matilda are still shelf mainstays, Big John and Nightstalker both made a reappearance as well. I've seen all 3 sisters still too. The only way they could control the ability to get what you want is in production. Also, if they were to directly influence the beer supply at a retail level they'd break the three-tier platform. I've seen more GI, more variant GI beer, and a more accessible brand.

27. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

Und Beck's?

Sounds like you respect beer. I don't mean that sarcastically.

BigBarley and willbm3 like this.
  28. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 California

You should all swear off GI, and leave all the BCBS for me.

29. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

Every beer has it's time and place.....well almost every beer, except natty ice.

30. Offa

Offa Pooh-Bah (2,315) Feb 6, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah

It has already been said, but for what it's worth I also believe that people should drink it if they like it and avoid it if they don't like it. I like some of their beer and will continue to drink it. I have not yet noticed a decline in quality which some, reasonably, fear will happen, but then only a few of their beers are available in my part of the world and they are not very common.

31. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Of all the threads that get nuked, how come this recurring Goose Island thread never gets nuked?

I currently have cans of Bud, Heineken, and Coors Light in my fridge. I guess I better delete my account now...

32. ChugginOil

ChugginOil Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2010 Illinois

Bourbon County says no, I should'nt stay away

33. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota

Wait, InBev OWNS Goose Island??!!!!!???

I try to exclusively buy "craft" but I have and will continue to drink BCBS and many limited release GI/InBev products because no craft brewery is making a comparable beer as affordable and available. It is the same reason I do nearly all of my shopping at the co-op but if they don't have asparagus or its 12.99/LB I will be going to (insert large grocery chain here) for it.

I know, "you don't have to eat asparagus there a plenty of other vegetables" but its delicious and I love it.

34. BuckeyeOne

I'm not talking about access to Goose Island beer. I wasn't a huge fan before the buyout. I'm talking about business practices at the local level aimed at keeping competitors' beer off the shelves and off the taps.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  35. DrinkinViking

DrinkinViking Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2011 Indiana

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still seeing ridiculous amounts of competitor's beers though. Hell, Ballast Point just hit the Chicago market, and only on occasion do I see a big Goose display

36. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

"I only drink local" said man in his Nike shoes, Chinese phone, Japanese car, and AX shirt. " I'm a locavore."

37. Sparty2014

Sparty2014 Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Michigan

Do you dislike Clydesdales and Dalmations too?

38. BuckeyeOne

So, your point is: If you can't hold to one principal, hold to none. Got it. Good advice.

39. GreenCoffee

GreenCoffee Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2012 Illinois

If you aren't into beer for the social commentary, ethical quandaries, and opportunity to "stick it to the man," then why are you drinking beer in the first place? Taste? Appreciation for well-crafted products? :astonished:

5thOhio likes this.
  40. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Savant (1,215) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

Long-time Beck's drinkers that swear up and down that the beer isn't the same. I never tried it before they moved production to St. Louis and I haven't tried it since, either. I am -- however -- inclined to believe the people that have been drinking it for 10+ years that have abandoned the brand, as I'm pretty sure that the sales have taken a nose-dive since the relocation. Furthermore, why should those people have to pay import prices for something made in Missouri?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.