Should I be aging these?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jdhowe, May 2, 2013.

1. jdhowe

jdhowe Mar 18, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I've got quite a few beers aging right now in a cool, dry, dark space and, while I'm excited to see how they are when I get around to drinking them, I'm not sure if any of them are things I should just crack immediately and enjoy now. I figured the majority of folks here might know better than I do about these. As a note, most of them are aging simply because I have a backlog of beers in the refrigerator and am prioritizing the hoppier beers for consumption:

3 Firestone Walker Parabola (2013) -- had one fresh, but planning to age the others for ~6mo, 1yr, 2 yrs to see how it ages
    2 Stone Espresso Imperial Russian Stout (2013)
    2 Stone Imperial Russian Stout (2013)
    1 Firestone Walker Sucaba (2013)
    1 Port Brewing Board Meeting
    1 Lost Abbey Saint's Devotion
    1 New Belgium Lips of Faith Cascara Quad
    1 Ballast Point Sea Monster
    1 Deschutes/Hair of the Dog Collage No. 1
    1 Deschutes Black Butte XXIV (I quite liked the XXIII with a bit of age on it, but it was also good fresh... didn't like the XXIV fresh as much, mostly for the smell from the draft I had)
    1 Goose Island Pere Jacques (2013)
    1 North Coast Old Rasputin XV
    1 Trappistes Rochefort 10

A lot of these are not so much aging efforts as things that I happen to be storing for longer than I would if I didn't also have other things to be drinking, but I figured it's possible I should be drinking some of these immediately and I'd rather know now.

nsheehan likes this.
  2. CBlake

CBlake Oct 28, 2011 Ohio

I don't have much experience with most of those but I found a 2008 pere jacques at a local store and it was great! definitely can be aged for a long time

3. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Apr 29, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Anything you only have one of (and you have never had before) you should probably just drink.

That said, I'm a hypocrite because I have a bottle of Russian River Sanctification that I picked up in January that I haven't drank yet because it's the only Russian River I have...

joaopmgoncalves and MightySteede like this.
  4. Ahappyhiker2

Ahappyhiker2 Mar 27, 2013 New Jersey

Nothing on there stands out as something you "shouldn't" age, but I'd say to make sure you've had all of them fresh first before you age them. With more rare bottles, I can understand not drinking them immediately because you might want to wait for a good time, but nothing on your list is too crazy. Something like Parabola is known to age well cause it's been produced annually since 2010, and not many people have complaints. Those will age for a while, and so will the Sucaba.

The only one I'd say to maybe pull from the cellar is the Espresso Stout. It isn't going to improve, over time that espresso flavor will die and then there's no point. Drink that now.

5. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Aug 19, 2009 Oregon

2nd the Espresso Stout recommendation.

6. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

To first order you don't want to age anything. That said, other than the coffee stout I doubt any of those will plummet off a cliff in a year (though the Sucaba may, the others I'm less familiar with).

7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Parabola ages well, so does stone IRS. The espresso version I'm not sure of, but GDBC Espresso oak yeti ages VERY well, I've got a stone espresso cellaring for shits and grins. Sucaba also ages well, as does saints devotion, pere jaques, old raspy, and roch 10. The lips of faith, drink it now. All of their beers are pasturized and won't change much over time.

8. ezperkins2

ezperkins2 Jan 3, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I would drink the Board meeting fresh. It is a brown ale with a decent hop profile that plays nicely with the coffee. I would be afraid that both of those flavors would face and you would be left with nothing special.

9. ezperkins2

ezperkins2 Jan 3, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Also, the Stone IRS is one of my favorite beers to age. I try to stash a case each year and they hold up great. I would also recommend grabbing a few double bastards and throwing them in your cellar. I love what happens to that beer after a couple of years.

10. Mcal

Mcal Jul 3, 2012 Texas

I had a Deschutes/Hair of the Dog Collage No. 1 and BBXIV last weekend. I think right now is a great time to have both, but wouldn't hurt to continue to age either.

11. jdhowe

Beer Trader

Awesome -- thanks for the replies/info. :)

Didn't know LoF was pasteurized -- good to know.

Also agree with the Espresso IRS/IRS comments on intuition... just wasn't really thinking. I will drink the Espresso bottles and replace them with a couple regular IRS bottles.

Glad to hear Collage No. 1 isn't awful -- it was randomly the last 12oz left on the shelf and it was interesting enough that I had to pick it up.

Probably will also drink the Sucaba if I get a chance to some time soon so that I can buy more of them to age if I like it and am interested, but there are definitely more urgent things for me to drink as far as imminent perishability. I'm generally not a huge barleywine fan, but do like most FW stuff I've had, so it's a bit of a toss up.

12. kingkukta

kingkukta May 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I would recommend aging the Espresso IRS. I thought the same thing about the coffee fading, but I had a 4+ year old bottle of Victory at Sea and it was seriously the best beer I have ever had (I love it fresh too though). The coffee got a bit stale but was still flavorful, and the vanilla made it so smooth. Im definitely aging a couple bottles of Esp IRS.

13. jdhowe

Beer Trader

I've sort of been going back and forth about it, as well. Definitely will drink one fresh, but will probably age the other. Can just buy more if I want more fresh. :)

14. kingkukta

kingkukta May 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

At $6 a bottle its worth trying to age.

15. MrRockstar

MrRockstar Sep 9, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I recently opened a Deschutes/Hair of the Dog Collage No. 1 with a best after date of 4/30/13 on it and it was a boozy disjointed mess. Definitely needs at least another 6 months to a year on it to pull together, probably longer than that might be even better.

16. jono0101

jono0101 Aug 1, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

i also didn't know the LoF beers were pasteurized, guess i don't have to hold on to my la folie to see how it ages anymore!

17. diehl07

diehl07 May 29, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

If you can get some more of the Sucaba, let me know I would love to try it. I've only heard great things. They don't make it all the way to Ohio. Lets work a trade out.

18. bcrossan

bcrossan Sep 29, 2005 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Good to know about Victory at Sea. Grabbed some of these just to stash, can't wait to see how they improve

kingkukta likes this.
  19. Rgaddy

Rgaddy Feb 25, 2012 Georgia

20. VirginiaJeff1

VirginiaJeff1 Feb 1, 2013 Virginia

Your list looks great.. as previously stated, Espresso isn't ideal (go with standard issued IRS). Hang on to that Sucaba! It ages so well. You won't regret it.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe