Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Should I transfer to secondary for long term aging (semi-lambic style ale)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tuckerlikesbeer, Dec 13, 2012.

1. tuckerlikesbeer

Beer Trader

I brewed a lambic style ale and I pitched some wyeast 3278 lambic blend and some dregs from several other sour ales a few weeks ago. I have about 5.5 gallons in a 6 gallon glass carboy. It had strong fermentation for the first 2 weeks and has now left left the inside of the carboy head space completely covered in about 1/4 inch of krausen gunk and crud. It looks nasty and is so think I cannot see my beer and will not be able to tell if a pellicle forms? Will this crud that is completely coating the head space cause any off flavors or other issues or is it ok to leave it?

2. Wolfsdenbrew

You should generally leave a lambic on the yeast from primary, it will be a food source for the bugs as it ages.

3. tuckerlikesbeer

Beer Trader

I do now that as the bugs will eat the dead yeast and help create more funk earthiness. I am just more worried about all the crud stuck to the glass in the headspace and if that could cause any unwanted effects.

4. Wolfsdenbrew

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe