Should There Be a Mandated Return of Reviews?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by woodychandler, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayORear

JayORear Savant (990) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Premium Trader

Here's mine: it turns an otherwise enjoyable activity into work. In my case, I'm thinking/writing critically all day for my clients, and the last thing I want to do, after spending all day in front of a computer screen, laying down words into sentences into paragraphs, is do the same while I'm drinking beer. I gave reviewing a shot a couple of years ago, did a little over a dozen, and I think I did an ok job. But it wasn't fun. At all. Like others here, though I participate in other ways, posting photos in WBAYDN and contributing to threads on the Pacific forum.

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,750) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

I'll throw in my vote, I like it the way it is.

#1 - I use the reviews to help me choose what to buy. Forced reviews will be of no use.
    #2 - I don't care if people tick, and why not let them add #s to that tick?

#3 - I wish we could go back to having reviews appear first over just # ratings. When I'm in a store trying to decide on what beer deserves my money, or even just figure out what it is, I want to see written reviews - and I don't have time to scroll through looking for them.

3. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (2,429) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Premium

And I completely understand. If it takes the joy out, what’s the point? We should be advocating beer, and I see you doing plenty of that on the forums. Cheers!

4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,913) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

Yep, there are a buttload of great BAs who never review or even rate beers but you can see their presence every day! Keep on keeping on!

5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,496) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I don't think a return to full reviews should be mandated. Personally, I'm pretty comfortable with the system that is currently in place.

As @johnnybgood1999 points out we all have the option of looking only at posts in the database that are full reviews.

As @Dragginballs76 points out the value of comments about a beer by others lies in listening to people whose tastes are similar to your own. With the existing reviews we can use the comments made by reviewers about sensory experience with the beer as a guide for a potential purchase. Being able to sort reviews in various ways helps make that easier to find reviewers whose tastes are similar to ours if we choose to use it. (During the days when PA was "buy beer by the case only" I was able to use reviewers with similar tastes to mine in deciding whether or not to go with a case of beer I'd never have a chance to try on tap or in bottle.)

As for the scores themselves, as @LeRose points out as the number of ratings grow the overall numerical score for a particular beer becomes more and more stable. It also becomes a more and more accurate indication of how site users in general view a particular beer. Especially, since, as @dvmin98 points out, there are many raters who do give thoughtful ratings even if we can't specifically pick them out. Those who do garbage ratings disappear into the noise and have little or no effect. While a beer's overall score may not predict your individual tastes it can still be a useful filter when you've got lots of choices and you're cheap like me and don't want to ever have to waste money by drain pouring a beer. (Also I don't expect to live long enough to try all the beers in the database.)

Finally, as a result of changes made to the site relatively recently, ratings-only are given less weight in calculating the overall score than are reviews plus ratings. So the number more accurately reflects the judgments of those who take the time to write a review and don't want to waste their own time by writing garbage. Are there some who will waste their time writing garbage? Sure there are, but as I said it's easy to spot them. Also I'd suggest that those folks soon disappear from the site, mostly never to be seen again. With each beer now having a histogram which shows up the distribution of overall scores given to a particular beer, with a single glance we can assess the level of agreement among raters and how a particular oddball reviewer's numbers stack up compared to those of others.

#45 drtth, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (629) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I like the histogram. I don't buy expensive beer. If I see a beer at a good price that I've not had I will look at the histogram to decide if it's a worthy buy. I might skim the 2-3 most current reviews but mostly don't. It's worked for me so far.

Too many reviews are so wordy I don't think they are worth the time to read, others are so short just rate and move on.

I stopped reviews as I do t like to write , can't always tell the fast I'm tasting and mostly no one else cares.

I use untappd to score and leave myself notes.

BA for me is more community, shooting the shit and decompressing from life.

Enjoy

7. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Zealot (579) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

I love beer and it is my hobby. As such I would love to treat it with the respect it deserves and write honest beer reviews. However I also love my wife. She for some reason does not appreciate me pausing a movie, running to the kitchen to open a beer, taking out my phone to take picture of a beer and than posting on Untappd and scoring on BA. I can understand her frustration. Now imagine if I added another 5 minutes to write a review. I am lucky that I get the chance to try so many beers (over 1600 in 3 years of checking in on BA) but there just is not the time to write a quality review. In addition when I go on a beer safari to hunt down new beers in the wild I am drinking all day, pretty sure I could not form a sentence after my 4th brewery of the day. But I do appreciate the people who take the time to review and I typically add a like to well written reviews. However as a consumer I would not buy a beer before checking to see the overall score here on BA and yet never check untappd scores as I feel they are not comprehensive. At the end of the day I trust the rating of 100 people who put in a score more than two taste makers that take the time to write a review but put both scores together and I feel you have an accurate score of the beer.

8. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (159) Nov 10, 2015 New York

I honestly forget to rate beers most of the time, I just participate in the forums. I also am not good at wording descriptions for my thoughts on a beer. Therefore I mostly don't leave a review, because nobody is going to honestly care lol.

9. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Disciple (392) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Trader

In a word, no. Reviews are king on this site, as they should be, but ratings help build
    a composite score that many of us use for quick reference when we are out and about and are trying not to purchase something we will regret. I trust a score from 1000 members regardless of the rating/review ratio over a score derived from a much smaller sample size of mostly reviews because a lot of the local beers have a bias attached to it. l also try to give a mini review at the very least of all new beers I post on the WBAYDN thread. We're all unique people in our own right and have our special ways of contributing so cheers to all of you and long may you live!

10. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (4,962) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium

I think the reviews and the tickers who just post a number should be kept separate. With a ticker, it is hard to tell if they actually drank the beer, they know anything or if they are engaged in a popularity contest. With a review you can tell if the person drank the beer, understands the style, etc and even if the reviewer is not an "expert" the review will tell you something about the beer and how people enjoy it. Ratings without out a review are about as useful as voting for high school homecoming queen.

woodychandler and LeRose like this.
  11. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,269) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

I don't think that is true. You ARE the IPAhunter and if I want to know about an IPA, I would without doubt look for your opinion. If I want thoughts on a pilsner, I am looking for Jack Horzempa. Food and beer...Utopiajane. I believe our thoughts about a beer are important to others. Look at the talk captured on WBAYDN or NBS. You don't have to be trained or have all the technical terminology down to speak about flavors and whether a beer tastes good or tastes like dishwater or movie butter popcorn. If all we had were those two threads and people just chatting about what they like and don't, there would still be a great amount of beer knowledge for people to use. We read each others' opinions and we learn from them.

12. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (4,962) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium

On Ratebeer.com there is an individual who has rated 54,649 beers. The individual joined Ratebeer in 2006 which amounts to drinking and rating 12.5 unique beers every day for 12 years. I have been pursing craft beer for a while (since the 80s) and I know how difficult it is to find and buy even a couple of unique beer a day let alone 12.5. To accomplish this you would need an enormous wallet and a staff to go out and buy beer for you. With ratings alone there is no way to tell if the person actually drank the beer rated and there is no way to evaluate the quality of the rating..

13. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (748) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I don't review, nor do I read reviews on the regular, so I don't really have a dog in this race. However, if you're going to review a beer, I feel that you should have to do it properly and write out a long-hand review of what you thought about the beer, not just type in numbers. It's really the only way to get comfortable with what you're looking for in a beer.

As far as this next bit goes:

I'm calling BS. There's only one reason people would rather just rate a beer over reviewing it and it is laziness. Their time is really not all that stretched thin if they are taking the time to check into a beer website to review a beer that they are drinking. The lack of confidence bit might be a thing, but it's more likely lack of experience, but the only way that you get comfortable doing something is by doing more of it.

14. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (1,807) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Premium Trader

"I also love my wife. She for some reason does not appreciate me pausing a movie, running to the kitchen to open a beer, taking out my phone to take picture of a beer and than posting on Untappd and scoring on BA"

This, my wife hates this and I do it more than I should!!!! Sometimes I even rewind if it is a show we have recorded and I forget to pause it while I pour, pose and review my beer.

15. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,609) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium

Maybe he's a polygamist and has his sister wives do all the work...

16. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (19,622) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Premium Trader

I suggest you watch this documentary, I found it quite fascinating. Basically people get partial pours and travel to find the thousands of one off cask ales in the UK for the film. I always require a full serving format for all my reviews. If its a taster, I just tick it off on untappd with some simple notes to remember how it tasted/mouthfeel. Nearly every time I revisit a tick for a full review, my opinion is different. Small samples are just not sufficient to base a true opinion of a beer. IMO.

17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,913) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

50946 ratings for the number 2 rater and his are reviews.

Harrison8 likes this.
  18. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,364) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Some random girl followed me on Untappd (she had a huge following and also follows a lot, but I don't know if she's still around because I don't use that app anymore save to check a few tap lists).

Every night she would post at least half a dozen new beers, with most nights being more. Some of them were pretty rare too, and they all varied between being heavy to light. Every post came with a photo taken in the same spot too, so there was proof (or she is damn good at photoshop). I always wondered so much about her:

1. Who the hell is she?
    2. How does she afford this?
    3. How much of each beer is she drinking?
    3A. What does she do with the leftovers?
    4. How does she acquire so many new beers?
    5. Does she do anything else in life?

I've reviewed around 1,235 beers (few reviews that I need to type up from notes), and I can still get a mix six with six unique beers from a half dozen stores here. That wouldn't explain the rarity or variety of heavy beers that that Untappd user was displaying though.

19. SmokeBeerMinistry

SmokeBeerMinistry Initiate (76) Sep 26, 2014 Texas

Reviews can be tricky. And these ratings that multiply my score by some other number because of someone else's reasoning only confuses me. I wouldn't expect brewers to put too much weight on public opinion when their sales are doing well. Will they ever quit making Old English 800? Maxwell House? or White Castle's? Probably not. And while I'm not going to look it up, I bet these products rate abysmally low in quality. But then again, Should value be a factor? Beer snobbery isn't a poor mans sport. Furthermore, I'm grumpy sometimes. And I don't review beers (or try not to) if my mood might alter my judgement. My solution was to run my own beer review site, SmokeBeerMinistry, with the thought that one palate is better than a whole bunch all shouting over each other (I favored Roger Ebert over Gene Siskel, and both over sales figures). And I thought to have a few warm up drinks before starting any review to keep my mood consistent, although sometimes that leads to more than a few, lucky me. Currently, I'm at about 225 unique smokebeers reviewed over the last 6 years. I don't know how many Karma points that would add up to, and while I've cross posted a handful here on BA, I don't like getting homogenized because some bloke thinks craft beer = hops. Maybe I am a silent lurker, I don't have any Karma money points, but even if I'm exceedingly vocal, it doesn't make anyone listen. God forbid the day when someone hands me a working microphone. I like beers that taste like smoke. Buy the T-shirt. Available for consultations. World renowned palate. https://smokebeerministry.wordpress.com/

20. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,364) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I used to be in the camp that all beers being logged should be reviews on this site, but that is no longer the case. As much as I value reviews, I like the exclusivity this site provides by including ratings. Personally, I think weighting reviews heavier than ratings helps the dynamic as well. It gives weight to those who back up their ratings.

Also, I find the 'to timid to review' line bull crap. I used to be too timid, and didn't review for a little while when I first joined; however, I started posting reviews in the New Beer Sunday (NBS) thread every week and asking for constructive feedback and found my skills growing to a level where I finally felt comfortable to include my reviews into the database. I'm still not that great at it, but I have fun with it.

21. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (748) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Ticker Life, son!

:beers:

GuyFawkes likes this.
  22. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,855) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I encourage all members to write reviews because I want to hear what they have to say. If they don't want to for any reason I wouldn't want reviewing to be a requirement placed on them. I believe to each his own eases overall participation.

23. rgordon

rgordon Champion (825) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Drones are really bad enough. My neighbor's kid flies a drone around and out over the lake. Damned annoying to me, but Otis my Walker Hound thinks they are winged demons wrought by the dog version of the devil.
    As to reviews, I keep my own personal notes and truly enjoyed the days when I actively participated in New Beer Sunday. That was thoughtful, honest, and often scholarly stuff. I still read most of it. Is North York Sammy's review "work" still drifting around? That was some truly funny shit!

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  24. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (572) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

My opinion is that simple numerical reviews do little service to the site but I understand the popularity of the quick and dirty. That said, I would like to see something like a new beer can not get an overall rating unless there is at least one or more written reviews. It's frustrating to me to look up a new beer and see a rating of say 4.5 and all you have is ratings with no context.

GuyFawkes and LeRose like this.
  25. Dragginballs76

Premium Trader

I read your Untappd reviews on the beers you drink, you sir do NOT add simple notes. You do an amazing job of reviewing the beers you have on Untappd I have used your ratings/reviews before when I buy beer. Your reviews/notes on Untappd are better than some of the reviews I write on here!!! Great job.

26. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (19,622) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Premium Trader

Thanks man. The only reason is because I mirror all those over from BA the same day I review them. I rarely have any taster ticks, but sometimes. Those check ins are not quite as intricate. Basically a dumbed down version with half the descriptors, because I took 1 minute to write it. :grin: My BA reviews usually take 15-30 minutes, depending on the complexity of the beer. Lagers are low end, sours/imperial etc are high end. :beers:

27. seakayak

seakayak Disciple (340) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I only rate beers, but I always put in just as much effort to come up with those ratings as I would if I wrote a full review (like others have stated, I write for a living, and it takes away from my enjoyment to write down my thoughts about eff'in beer). Plus, you do realize that full reviews also have to choose numerical ratings on each characteristic? Does writing a few notes necessarily make it any more valid?

Also, do you really think you need another full review on top of the other 15 pages of reviews saying that an IPA is pale gold, smells like citrus and pine, tastes the same, feels ohhh sooo foamy, and overall I'll have another? Do you really read them all? If so, you must see the diminishing returns in useful information that I'm referring to. On the other hand, I do use the reviews of a handful of Top Raters to research new purchases, and I'm very grateful they do such a good job. So if you want to, go be that person! Just don't mistake all ratings as useless.

28. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Aspirant (242) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

Let me preface what I'm about to say by sharing that I have not read through all of the prior posts, so if the scenario I'm about to pose has already been addressed, well then, blame it on the al-al-al-alcohol...

Putting aside the argument to review or not to review for a moment, allow me to share something that this thread has reminded me of. Given how many breweries are operating these days and the never ending number of beers being made, I'm curious of what you all think of the following scenario.

Let's use a hypothetical, "Local brewery A" has made roughly 30 beers, of which, 20 have been archived/added to BA by the community at large. For the 10 beers that have not been added, if I drink one of said beers, but do not rate or review it, then it remains an unknown quantity to the community. Is it better for the community to have no knowledge at all of a particular beer, or is better to have some knowledge, i.e. a beer simply being added and rated, not reviewed? I feel as though it is more important that we provide some portion of a picture of "Local brewery A's" offerings even if that means we sacrifice a more robust and detailed one. Multiplying this scenario indefinitely just shows how likely it is that we have a huge number of beers out there that have never been rated, never mind reviewed. Genuinely curious to hear your thoughts on this, if you care to share of course. It's not mandatory :slight_smile:.

As for my own personal opinion on the initial question posed by the OP, I have not reviewed or rated the vast majority of the beers I have had in my life. For me it is generally a matter of not wanting to think too critically when I'm enjoying a beer. Some may disagree with my approach and that is absolutely fine, however, this is how I choose to enjoy beer. I have and do sometimes review or rate a beer, but it's typically on a whim. All of that said, I understand how important beer reviews are to some here on BA and to the community as a whole and think they are a big part of what makes this site special, but to me, there are a lot of other things that I love about this site as well and making anything mandatory just seems a bit off putting.

Salud!

bluejacket74, LeRose and JayORear like this.
  29. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,004) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

I feel the general level of beer knowledge by members on BA was much greater when written reviews were required. The average forum posts seemed more insightful back then.

cavedave and GuyFawkes like this.
  30. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Meyvn (1,266) Dec 29, 2013 Washington

As a fully admitted ticker, this is when I write reviews. New or they stand out to me.

I'm learning to improve my tasting and by extension review notes as I've gotten deeper into this community of beer and BA. I know at first I was terrified of reviewing because I felt uneducated about what I was tasting or how to properly put it in words. It is something that, as I mentioned, I am getting more comfortable and educated about over the years.

Since there are so many options now and ever changing offerings I would feel overwhelmed to try and review each one at a bar that I may go to or brewery. I also don't want to have to worry about writing everything down about the beer in case it isn't on the website and then go back and put in just so I can track it here. That would be a substantial barrier for me to want to use BA.

TrojanRB likes this.
  31. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,139) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Premium Trader

My only argument against going back to reviews only is that sometimes I’m lazy.....and that’s a pretty shit reason.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  32. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Savant (940) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Premium Trader

We (my wife and myself) review almost everything. We think it adds to the experience and it's fun. We used to judge country wines at a rural county fair, so the process is familiar. We try to be specific but not verbose. Add an observation or two on the adherence to the type if needed.

If we are the ones to add a beer, we'll take special care. If we're the 3,456th, maybe not so much, but still a good try as recent reviews float to the top.

One suggestion - perhaps our overworked developers could add a little yes/no radio button or check box below each review that asks, "Did you find this review useful?" And then display the running total. All anonymous, one yes/no per member. No impact on one's own Beer Karma. But one could get a sense of one's own work that way.

33. tone77

tone77 Poo-Bah (5,275) May 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Premium

While I personally always write reviews and tend to hide ratings, I don't think a review should be mandatory. I do prefer them, and would like more people to write them.

In the case of adding a beer, a review should be mandatory. There are some on here who will go on untapped or brewers websites and add beers they have never tried, or even saw on a shelf. As is the case of Black by Genesee, which woody added, how can you know a beers style unless you drink it. Even those with a brewers description may not always be accurate, while some have no description.

brewnme and bluejacket74 like this.
  34. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,628) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

I've come to a point in my "beer life" where it's either/or:

Either I'm in a social setting, and beer shouldn't be my main focus, but an aspect of the situation...in this setting, I don't review beers, nor do I rate them.

Or I'm enjoying a beer in private, with my full focus on the brew at hand. Then, I review the beer in full, so that a) I can really understand what I do / don't like about it, and b) even if my review is negative, someone could read it & realize they might love the beer, since our tastes are different.

I'd prefer a review-only mandate, because taking time to write out your thoughts shows an extra level of focus...there is a site primarily for snap judgments called Untappd that fills that ticker void. I'm sure most here are aware of it.

35. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,387) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Yes, yes it does. There is not a single characteristic that can be identified by a no. rating alone. All a rating does is identify whether a person I don't know, who may or may not even know what the characteristics are to which he puts numbers, likes or doesn't like the appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and overall impression.

Let's not confuse someone's right to put a number rating for a beer, with the actual value to others. Numbers are for ticks, a way to keep track of what you have consumed. Folks have a right to put only these numbers, but if they think there is a value past that they are fooling themselves. Number ratings are without value for someone looking to use them as a tool for purchasing a beer with characteristics he knows he enjoys in a beer.

Reviews are ways for folks to find out, first, whether the person writing the review is clueless. And if the person proves with a written review that he/she is not clueless, then, second, the review can be a helpful tool by describing the key characteristics of ASTMO. I never, let me repeat that, NEVER bother looking at numbers because they have zero, nil, nada, none, no good info to give me about a beer I might want to try.

beergoot, mudbug, Amendm and 5 others like this.
  36. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,010) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

I write a review for every new beer I try. I'll check out the first page, below mine, and see what others think. What I write, is to the point, and boring af. If you want to write in a more poetic style for your review, more power to you. I can read yours, and a lot of times get a better understanding of what the beer has to offer. Mine are a, "just the facts, ma'am," kind of thing, so anybody can get a basic vibe about said brew, and merely a point of reference for me. Occasionally, I forget ever having had a particular beer, and my review will stop me from buying a beer twice. If it's that great, I will usually remember buying it.

37. Amendm

Amendm Aspirant (257) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

Ratings are just data, a review should prove that the writer experienced the beer or place.
    If you have time to go out and buy a new beer or travel to a new brewery or bar you have time to review it.

brewnme likes this.
  38. Dragginballs76

Premium Trader

I am going to disagree with this portion of what you said as it applies to me.

Number ratings are without value for someone looking to use them as a tool for purchasing a beer with characteristics he knows he enjoys in a beer.

Like I said before I no longer rate beers here I review them which is why I have 1,328 here and almost 3,000 on Untappd. I use the friends I have on Untappd (Who are also BAs) to decide many of my beer purchases. There is a note section on Untappd, although limited, to leave a few thoughts. I have been in situations many times where I was on the fence if I should buy a beer or not and checked my trusted friends on Untappd to see what they think and that drives my decision. It is many times based on the history we have with common beers and the numerical values we give them. I feel like a rating and a review here from someone I do not know carries the same weight since our palate could be very different and I may not even get the same taste, feel or even opinion of appearance or overall impression of the beer. The only time a review has swayed me has been if I read it on NBS and it is from someone I have seen (based on what I have seen them post here) that we have the same tastes and opinions on what we drink. You have posted tons and I would trust a review from you but I would also trust a rating of a beer from you. Again just how I use the system and my two cents.

Amendm likes this.
  39. bstoos

bstoos Initiate (40) Dec 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

I don't review beers here and don't really use them much to decide on my purchases. The only use I have for them is to figure out which breweries I should check out when in a new town. My main reason for not reviewing is that my tastes aren't like anyone else, so I don't feel it would be helpful. I also don't really like writing and find it somewhat of a chore. I do make some notes on Untappd so I can remember why I like/dislike something but that's as far as I like to go.

All that said, I enjoy looking through the NBS thread each week. There are some people who write reviews I find extremely interesting and some others who I just skim through or bypass completely since I don't enjoy reading them.

Whether things change or not, I'm still going to use the site the same way and keep buying beers I think look interesting regardless of the thoughts of anyone else.

40. johnInLA

johnInLA Crusader (750) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Premium

I do understand that some people are more literal and other are more mathematical. I get that literal people don't understand the value of numbers.. But those of us that are numerically oriented view the data on this site as very insightful.

Here is my approach to rating beers:
    • Sometime a don't rate at all. I am simply enjoy beer with good people and rating is a distraction.
    • I rate for me. These are personal ratings, roughly 2700,, that use for personal reasons.
    • I numerically rate on beer advocate, but generally on beers that are underared,
    • I write a review only when I have time, the beer is under reviewed,, and I am reviewing under controlled conditioned, specifically served in proper glassware, at the right serving temp. and stored under prroper conditions.

The point is the current policy is the correct one.
    • Encourage 5 category numerical rating,
    • Encourage reviews under the correct conditions

#80 johnInLA, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    bstoos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.