Should we re-enable replying to trade posts?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Todd, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larueminati

Larueminati Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2016 Massachusetts

This.

elvisdoc, dmbforever, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  2. Donco

Donco Devotee (487) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Vote: Open it up.

SammyJaxxxx and Larueminati like this.
  3. von_kaiser

von_kaiser Crusader (757) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

i've been publicly ridiculed posting outlandish requests (didn't realize at the time).....and i'm absolutely IN FAVOR of re-enabling the reply's. fish gotta learn to swim as did i. the reply's are deserved and hysterical!

jeevo, SammyJaxxxx, Vidblain and 2 others like this.
  4. KBS

KBS Disciple (325) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Make every FT:ISO a poll. You could click, "fair offer", "a little lopsided on OP side", "this BA is bat shit crazy", whatever is predetermined. No thread shitting, just feedback on the trade offer.

Jaycase, readyski, Vidblain and 9 others like this.
  5. stakem

stakem Poo-Bah (5,819) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I use to hate the fact that replies were disabled in the trading forum but its something ive grown use to and have become mostly indifferent about.

Like most things, there can be positives as well as negatives to bringing it back. The good being constructive criticism and discussion/updates/clarification to the trade at hand without repetitive thread creation. The bad being people who are just out to troll and provide nothing constructive.

I say let it up to the person creating the thread whether they want replies enabled.

JohnGalt1, slander420 and tikk like this.
  6. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,488) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I like this idea.

SammyJaxxxx and jrnyc like this.
  7. joecool0909

joecool0909 Initiate (70) Feb 24, 2015 Missouri

I'd vote yes.

I only trade from time to time when I hear or see a beer I really want. Without comments it's pretty hard to tell what to offer up, the completed trades section is often lacking.

The trolling was never a problem for me. Are people really taking it personally when annonimous people on the internet comment about how unfamiliar they are with arbitrary beer trade values?

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,840) Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

ah...such a slippery slope...I was one of the few who was allowed to post when only a few people had rights based on number of trades and some whacky algoirthm...I wouldn't say I abused the power, but it got me banned-banned pretty quickly after being a contributing member to this site for years. I got reinstated in the great re-instatment a while back, but it was definitely the slap on the wrist that got me pretty much removed from wanting to participate in this community since the main forum is full of mostly goofy topics like what's the best beer to drink metal to.

If you are browsing a beer site while drinking beer (and lets face it, there is a reason that this site gets so much traffic in the evenings)...chances are you might read something that you have a witty retort to or you might simply see something that downright pisses you off. NO PLACE of this site will piss you off more than the trading section since the trading community is full of all types...the profiteers, the beggars, the too generous, the too stingy, the guy who factors in pennies spent on the bottle deposits, etc. As a beer trader myself, I can tell you that many traders like to browse the trade forums on the regular...with replies, you are asking the trade police to chime in...you are asking the trade police's thread police to chime in...you are asking the peanut gallery to chime in...you are asking the peanut gallery's lovers and haters to chime in..........that said, you cannot moderate with strict consequences without making this website an orwellian nightmare again, or you have to make it explicitly clear in black/white what is considered abuse (ie...if you get personal, you get the boot). One man's troll is another mans method of giving advice (ie. a reply of "How many?" on a one sided ISO/FT post).

Maybe a good idea could be a reply limit/day. Just like you can only make one post on the ISO forum for a day, how about you can only reply to 1 or a few threads per day/week so people are forced to be selective about where/how they want to chime in. To encourage useful dialog you can say if you are quoted in a reply you get a chance to respond? This way, if someone is drunk and randy you can control how much havoc they can wreak in a single evening.

9. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (213) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

It helps, what can I say?

10. KSOZE

KSOZE Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Ohio

Of course yes.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  11. thewoodenshoe

thewoodenshoe Initiate (70) Dec 10, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Open it up!

The fact that other websites have "find the shittiest deal on BA" topics says enough. Now people post random "iso handjee ft kbs" posts.

tikk likes this.
  12. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Devotee (460) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

13. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 Illinois

I think enabling replies to trade posts might help eliminate the daily posting of the same trade offers. People could get feedback on their first post whether it be regarding the ISO or FT portion or simply to clarify something the IP said in the trade offer.

Posts don't carry inflection or tone. We can't immediately assume that any and all "criticism" is abuse. You offer the ignore button. Repeated posts that are not constructive can easily be unseen by ignoring the person who posts in that way.

14. Buck86

Buck86 Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2011 Washington

15. Monktastic7

Monktastic7 Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Definitely. I loved understanding the discussion behind why people thought it was "off" or frankly, I appreciated trade winners being called out, to help them understand the community needs a shift.

jeevo and HOPTOMIC_BOMB like this.
  16. mmoriarty

mmoriarty Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2016 Rhode Island

I'd post a Jack from Lost "we have to go back" meme if I were more talented

So yes doooo it

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  17. Punisher1976

Punisher1976 Initiate (79) Jan 4, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Yes,Yes,Yes, comments have been disabled since before I got on BA and I've always wanted to see some people called out on some uneven requests or auctioning.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  18. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (167) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

I've read every post on this thread (with the majority seeming to want it back) and still haven't read a single legitimate reason why we need replies enabled.

19. flat_lander

flat_lander Meyvn (1,009) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Appreciate the dialogue here. After reading all of the discussion I'm in the "No" camp.

As someone who is fairly new to this site and even newer to trading, I'm not sure that replies would've helped me that much in learning at first. It probably would've intimidated me some more actually. IMO, the reality is that beer trading is a time consuming hobby. So I'm not really buying the, "It'll make it easier for noobs" stuff. The way I learned is by reading on here A LOT before making my first ISO:FT post. This includes trade, completed trades, and discussion forums. By basic reasoning, I deducted that if I got no bites I was off on my offer and either needed to change it or give up. I certainly had some help early on with generous and trusting vets from here who provided sage advice. But I liked getting it privately. I'd prefer not to trade with someone who is looking how to figure this out quickly. Stay patient, watch, learn, take some good advice if people BM you. That type of person is also more likely to put that type of effort into good packing, the trade process start to finish, etc.

I don't see entertainment as a valuable reason for enabling them. Go binge watch some Mr. Show or something if you need a laugh. Or, check out the forums on Reddit or FB that people seem to find funny.

That being said, I wasn't on here when replies were allowed. So I realize I've got a level of ignorance to that era too. If the decision is made to enable comments, I like some of the ideas being floated: let the OP check a box to enable or disable comments, only allow people with a certain + trading history to comment, allow a poll to judge whether you are on point, make a separate trade forum for $4$, regular partner, etc. I do agree that the ISO:FT forum has become a whale fest and it's annoying and 99 times out of 100 way out of my reach or even interest.

Regardless as to what is decided, I'll continue trading here and contributing to this community. I really enjoy BA. Thanks for asking our opinion!

IowaPA, Raziel313, slander420 and 9 others like this.
  20. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I found it helpful. It if it's abused by a party could their participation singly be removed? If it could seems like that woukd be deterrent enough.

Raziel313 likes this.
  21. Mista_Carta

Mista_Carta Aspirant (204) Aug 11, 2015 California
    Trader

Can we keep it civil? Can mods handle the workload of policing?

I think there are plenty of resources to determine value and/or for noobs to come up to speed. I enjoy how peaceful, even if quiet, it is in here...

22. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut

Yes knowledge is good

23. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,276) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yes. I believe it would encourage trading of more beers whereas right now the entire forum is commanded by the demands of those with access to the powerhouse beers.

24. Herky21

Herky21 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

I miss the comments. In lieu of moderators could you do an upvote downvote system so that troll posts can be voted off the system? (i.e. if a troll post gets 10 downvotes or whatever # is right then it is automatically deleted and there is no need for a moderator to have to verify).

I also like the idea suggested earlier of the option to disable or enable comments, but I wonder if that allows some of the other concerns people have about outlandish beer trades being posted without any possibility of a public forum to create an open discussion to continue.

I suppose allowing the poster to enable or disable comments or to be in control of deleting comments are actually bad ideas because that is the last person who should be in control of the communications, which sort of misses the entire point of being able to comment on an ISO:FT.

You could also limit the number of comments that could go into the post. I don't think there need to be 5 pages of discussion about some trades and that is sometimes the case. Maybe limit it to 10 or 15 comments and see if that allows some constructive criticism or comments about ratios or values to be communicated publicly while preventing the thread from getting out of control?

jhavs likes this.
  25. supercolter

supercolter Crusader (781) Apr 19, 2006 Wisconsin
    Trader

Yes, the benefits outweigh the detractors, at least for the trading audience. This isn't may not be true on the moderator side, since people are generally a *healthy* mix of sensitive and passive-aggressive.

26. Mantooth

Mantooth Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2011 North Carolina

I say - bring it back. The more communication the better. Simply let it be known there are strict punishments for abuse.

27. StoutFox

StoutFox Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2013 Ohio

28. BravoDawg_WS

BravoDawg_WS Initiate (138) Jun 6, 2014 New York
    Trader

Can we GIF the hell out of the crazy max value and loony bird offers? Asking for a friend.

elvisdoc and tikk like this.
  29. Jason1221

Jason1221 Aspirant (226) Apr 7, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

No. Guessing it turns into such a spammy mess like Facebook with people complaining about 'winning' trades and having other motivations than simply letting people find deals they agree with.

30. disGRUNTled

disGRUNTled Initiate (148) Sep 21, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Have you seen some of these ISO/FT post ?.Yes bring it back.

BravoDawg_WS and tikk like this.
  31. bparis1966

bparis1966 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2016 North Carolina

open it please

32. tikk

tikk Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2007 Canada (YT)
    Deactivated

I would have to say no with the current moderation policy here. Someone could "report" any post they don't like and try to keep up the value of their beer, and a mod might agree with them and we could see a rise in banning again. I'd say to leave it unmoderated.

I'm actually all for open dialog to help traders along, I don't really trade much here anymore because I seen the same crappy trades posted every 24 hours looking for the "right set of eyes." Having to muddle through that when trying to make a trade turned me off. Yes there are going to be trolls, but who gives a shit it's just beer. We came here to talk beer and we should be able to talk trades as well.

No matter what you do @Todd it won't be the right choice, you can't please everyone. Someone will grumble.

I'm all for it, open dialog and shit posting may scare people off, but that's ok.

elvisdoc and Sabtos like this.
  33. TGanyone

TGanyone Disciple (327) Jan 29, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Bring it back! Since when did everyone become so damn sensitive? I used to love reading all the feedback!! I wonder if this website has lost traffic because of the no feedback policy?

BravoDawg_WS and JFresh21 like this.
  34. colby600

colby600 Champion (802) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

No. I'm not interested in someone's opinion of my trade, and if it's off I'll know when I hear crickets. Take twenty minutes, do a little research and you'll know what things are going for. The simple solution would be to have an option to turn commenting off/on, that way people looking for help would receive it.

elvisdoc, Jason1221, Scour and 3 others like this.
  35. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (277) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

Sure. Trade value resources on other places rely way too much on secondary, and the "completed trades" section here isn't as comprehensive as I might like. I want to know if I'm off in real time.

36. jojo2112

Can you elaborate? How so? What is a single benefit of allowing responses? The only one I've heard so far is that it will allow someone to tell a trader that their offer is unreasonable or unattainable, which they would find out anyway when they don't get any offers.

37. Zaximus

Zaximus Defender (601) Mar 14, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Yes. As a newbie trader years ago, I found it very useful to read through replies to different ISOs. Yes, some comments are ridiculous, but it's an open forum. What are you going to do. Far more good info than snarky comments.

BravoDawg_WS likes this.
  38. Vidblain

Vidblain Savant (958) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Think of it this way: some people obviously are not understanding that silence is a response. In a way, silence is not informative; is it silence because no one in the area (in-person trades) has what you're looking for, or no one wants what you have, or they feel the ratios are poorly tilted, etc.?

Silence just has too many interpretations. And hey, I have yet to receive any personal messages informing me that my ISO/FT is crazy, or undesirable, etc. So everyone saying that that option is already there via direct messages? It's obviously not working very well.

I'm all for allowing responses.

JohnGalt1 and Dactrius like this.
  39. BravoDawg_WS

BravoDawg_WS Initiate (138) Jun 6, 2014 New York
    Trader

Maybe start swapping good beer with regulars instead of worrying about hype and value?

Jason1221 likes this.
  40. jojo2112

For me it has nothing to do with sensitivity. It's just pointless and a waste of my time.

instagibmo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.