Should we re-enable replying to trade posts?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Todd, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reno9

Reno9 Aspirant (261) Mar 20, 2015 Pennsylvania

Yes so we can tell people when they want to trade 30 cans of a brewery release beer for a whale ba stout they're insane. I would suggest not having the most recent reply circle back to the top as many trades can be missed

2. hutsondc

hutsondc Initiate (105) Feb 28, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

It's the one feature of another beer forum I use that I hate. People think they're the trade police and feel the need to comment on every little intricacy. Would cause me to use the trade forum less.

rmpic82, cfh64 and eppie82 like this.
  3. doncerino

doncerino Initiate (48) Sep 18, 2014 New York

No. Traders suck more now than ever. Will be constant bitching and references to secondary market.

rmpic82, Clarkee, cfh64 and 2 others like this.
  4. WVUbrew

WVUbrew Disciple (358) Oct 12, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I like it the way it is.

I felt like people just used it to hype up their friends trade posts and tear down others. That and to hype up beers they have hoarded for personal gain.

Let the beers speak for themselves and keep the communication between the person offering and the person interested in a private conversation.

Trading for what are perceived to be "whales" is hard enough without the endless coercion and opinionated trolling engulfing someones ISO:FT post.

rmpic82 and cfh64 like this.
  5. Narthax

Narthax Crusader (775) Mar 23, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Yes please, for reasons stated on page 1

6. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,403) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Trader

Yes, I say yes bring it back.

7. kayakandbeer

kayakandbeer Aspirant (231) Aug 16, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Big YES

1. Makes it easier to figure out what all the Acronyms stand for now a days
    2. Maybe it will help settle down some of the ridiculous request

Kwahgs likes this.
  8. JELLYFISHTUNA

JELLYFISHTUNA Initiate (109) May 22, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

Yes, it is ridiculous not being able to give feedback on posts. I think if you see someone purposely being inflammatory than you can take action.

9. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

While I think comments will cut down on ridiculous posts, I am tempted to just vote "No" only because I'm pretty sure it will lead to my banning. Trading used to be so easy but now that the offers have gotten more absurd, the temptation to threadshit will be high.

10. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (375) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Or "I've seen this get done."

11. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Because then traders gain knowledge of ALL trades posted (or at least the ones they open and read [helpful] comments on), not just their own. The learning curve would be a lot sharper and ultimately more knowledge is gained by more people. Good thing right?

12. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Also, should make it an automatic ban for anyone who brings up secondary market or anything to do with it in the comments... I realize a few people were rich and dumb enough to pay $250 for that bottle of yours, that doesn't mean the community as a whole agrees with them!

Leftofthedial and Vidblain like this.
  13. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,442) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I am of the "give the poster the power to enable/disable comments" mindset

14. Scour

Scour Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2015 New York

No. Someone posting a trade is not soliciting public comments from the peanut gallery on his trade offer. He's simply ISO anyone out there who subjectively benefits from taking the other side of that particular trade.

That's a personal value equation matching between those two people trying to find each other. No one else has any business inserting themselves into that process.

Someone who actually does want to solicit opinions on beer values and potential trades can do so in the discussion forums right now.

Imagine a dating site where each person's dating profile featured a public discussion thread where anyone and everyone could post their personal opinions and critiques of that profile. What an unhelpful, unwanted, and inappropriate capability.

If comments were enabled in ISO/FT here, every OP could justifiably respond to every comment with "NYDB. I wasn't soliciting opinions. If this trade doesn't work for you personally, move on."

eppie82 and rmpic82 like this.
  15. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

I loved it. BUT if we do bring it back. I think a certian amount of trolling needs to be allowed. For two reasons. 1. It was funny, even when frustrating due to it being your own post it was always funny. Somtimes being told your way off base is needed.

I think it would be best to just have an unregulated trial run. Open it up and let it run for a couple of months. Whats the worst that can happen? There are so many things in place to protect people. A few harsh comments shouldnt hurt anyone for a shit offer.

RyanMcFly1985 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  16. jlsims04

While I see your side and agree with some of it. Sometimes getting zero feedback is much more frustrating when trying to close for soemthing than having to ignore a few stupid comments.

17. jlsims04

Agree 100%

18. Yellolab2010

Yellolab2010 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

I personally would say yes. I totally get the other side of this argument though. I think it's great for new traders so they can understand values and such. Ideally would be great if the repeatative ignorant users who are just going out of their way to give someone a hard time could be banned from it but know that's probably hard to police. I'm good with it either way.

19. Yabu

Yabu Disciple (308) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

I have PM people several times for completed trades, and I rarely get any response. Also no proof that he's telling me the truth :slight_smile:. So the completed trades is incomplete in this system.

mythaeus likes this.
  20. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Zealot (500) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin

banned

BEERschlitz and flat_lander like this.
  21. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Perhaps enable it by default, and give the poster the option to turn comments off. Helps those who like the comments to have them, and helps those who don't like them to keep them off the post. Also, agreed on consequences for trolls/bashing on comments, but there needs to be a line for being helpful/constructive criticism on trade values and being a snarky asshole.

Just my .02.

flat_lander likes this.
  22. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Mark me dwown as a YES

23. DLDlulz

DLDlulz Initiate (116) Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

24. osc1123

osc1123 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2015 Florida

I'm 100% for allowing reply and comments. I find the majority of the comments/feedback as to the trade being proposed to be helpful. Of course you will have to deal with the guys that can't "play nice", but I like the suggestion I've seen of allowing the creator of the post to have the ability to delete comments.

25. dmolz

dmolz Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Connecticut

I say yes or add in some sort of automatic feedback, to give some kind of indication how flakey ppl are. I can't tell you how many ppl set up trades pretty much and then either find a more winnable one and or if you don't care about opening up a trade that isn't concrete yet, it's then a lost cause. hold ppl more accountable, show that they'll actually reply and be transparant, not when it's convenient. then maybe not make the scene seem so coin flip or stop trading.

26. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (375) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Trolling-That's a paddlin'.

Threadshitting, but not offering up constructive feedback-That's a paddlin'.

Trying to puff up a beer's trade value-Ooh you better believe that's a paddlin'.

Bring it back for at least trial run. See how it goes.

Chris_H_2 and Vidblain like this.
  27. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,455) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

You can report any post for being abusive/unhelpful now.

28. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

No, I was referring to the completed trades forum. Each point was independent. :slight_smile:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/forums/completed-trades.76/

I meant PM the OP of the trade post for clarification of the trade (if necessary), not PM other users for their completed trades.

29. Yabu

Yabu Disciple (308) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Yes, I know what you were referring to. Two separate points. On completed trade forums, Anyone can post I landed Unicorn Tears with BA Darkness, or traded Rusty with Darkness 1:1. Some posts are bogus... so I take a grain of salt on what's posted.

30. Heady_Eddy

Heady_Eddy Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 Massachusetts

Bring it back

31. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

As you should, but it doesn't make my points less valid. It is too bad that some users can't take the time to answer your PM's.

Yabu likes this.
  32. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,204) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

New trader here; just completed my first three trades and really enjoyed the experience. Yes, it's nice to get a sense of a beer's "value" but value is so subjective (influenced by personal taste, location, hardship to get the beer, etc.) that I feel I did not miss anything having to read and respond to direct messages in order to calibrate offers. I encountered not one person that felt like they were trying to "win" the trade, and for those who offered what I perceived as low-value trades it was easy enough to reply back.

I have a hard enough time staying engaged when reading too much negativity, condescension and unsolicited advice on the regular forums, let alone when I post another trade.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to catch my rainbow home to pet my dozen puppies.

flat_lander likes this.
  33. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

I would say hell no because all it was were people trolling or telling people about 'values'.

A middle grown option to me would be to allow the poster to 'disable comments' on a trade post when they post.

At least that way if they dont want 'constructive' feedback, they don't get it.

eppie82, ManapuaMan and Scour like this.
  34. ECCS

ECCS Aspirant (204) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois

Was there a discussion post or an admin explanation when the decision was made to disable comments?

Also... a yes/no poll would be nice on this... just from reading the past few pages I feel like its close to 50/50

35. Todd

Todd Founder (6,716) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

As I mentioned at the beginning of the thread:
    And so far "yes" comments are well above 50% of the replies. And many of those who said "no" offered caveats to compromise, which basically makes them a "yes."

ECCS and needMIbeer like this.
  36. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Devotee (482) Dec 30, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

I have traded my fair share over the years, and I actually noticed my trading activity falling off right around the time that replying to the forum was disabled. I personally liked the banter, and regardless of whether I agreed with some of the "valuing" comments I learned a lot about availability of new beers through local experts posts. I'm a fan of the comments, and could see myself becoming more active again if you made the trading community more personal by allowing commentary again. Just my two cents.

zach60614 likes this.
  37. cfh64

cfh64 Zealot (556) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Trader

Alternate every month for the next 6 months. One month a free for all and the next no replies. Check user traffic, see how many douche bags come out of the wood work, let a lot of these "yes" voters who haven't experienced it see how it goes, gives us some entertainment and you can see if you've changed your opinion whether you still dislike it or just don't give a shit anymore. Take a "yes" and "no" poll at the end and see what the majority thinks of it.

Decent compromise IMO.

hutsondc likes this.
  38. Jujubie

Jujubie Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2014 California

39. dddddddd

dddddddd Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2015 Washington

40. Suds_With_Buds

Suds_With_Buds Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2014 California

Yes i want it back.

Despite the overwhelming amount of trolls on some posts, replies were some of the most informative years of beer trading for me. I want it back because it really does help the community imo. This site has just felt like it's been on lock down since its removal.

BeersAndBears likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.