Should you stir up yeast after aging a beer

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by beerbully, Oct 14, 2013.

1. beerbully

beerbully Feb 2, 2009 New Jersey

Recently poured a Weyerbacher 17 that was over a year old. Style was a high abv Saison. Had a lot of yeast at the bottom of the bottle so the question is.....do you stir it up before the pour or not ....

2. rc51sport

rc51sport Feb 25, 2013 North Carolina

Do you like drinking the yeast or not? I do

3. RDMII

RDMII Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I always pour the bottle down the last bit, swirl the yeast to break it loose, then pour it on top like whipped cream on a sundae. Delicious.

rc51sport likes this.
  4. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

generally i try to avoid pouring large yeast clumps into my glassbut inevitably some will make it in.

inchrisin likes this.
  5. Dope

Dope Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts

Try it and find out. There's no right or wrong answer. Most don't pour it, if I had to guess.

Dope

inchrisin likes this.
  6. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

If you're in the don't camp I'd recommend refrigerating your bottle for a week before you drink it. This helps cold crash the sediment into a solid clump on the bottom of the bottle. I've tested this on a few different homebrew bottle yeast strands and it seemed to work. I'll need to do more research before saying that this works well for all beers.

I also haven't tried to crash the beer and let it warm up to serving temp before pouring. I just pour cold and let my hands take care of the warming process.

Dope likes this.
  7. Dope

Dope Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts

That's good advice. I tend to pour most beers warm and the yeast gets stirred up really easily. I don't really mind much though. It tends to settle in the glass and then I just don't drink the last sip. Some yeast is tasty to me, some is not, so it depends.

Dope

8. CrackTheSkye

CrackTheSkye Nov 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I myself will drink the yeast every time. That being said with aged beers, especially the style in question, large clumps of floating turds in your beer is quite unsightly and dues nothing for the appearance. Personally it makes it hard for me to drink even though I tell myself it's fine. What I do is a few days before I know I'm going to drink said beer, I go down to my cellar and shake the bottle vigorously for about thirty seconds. I replace it back on the shelf and repeat the process everyday until the drinking day. It seems to break up any clumps into fine particles reminiscent of the younger brew. I have worried about explosions, they have never happened.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe