show me the way to IPA

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Acrid, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acrid

Acrid Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2013 California

So I'm getting ready to brew my first 5 gallon batch but have no idea what I'm doing to be honest. My goal is to make an IPA. Here's is a list of the ingredients I have to work with:

6.6 lbs. Briess golden light (lme) (unhopped)
    1 lbs. Crystal 40L
    4oz. Cascade (pellets)
    2 oz. Summit ( pellets)
    2 oz. Chinook ( pellets)
    1/4 lbs. Centennial ( whole cone)
    Mangrove jacks dry yeast - u.s. west coast m44

Anybody have a blue print I can follow. Would really appreciate some I ideas. Thanks

2. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

What do you want your beer to taste like?

3. Acrid

Looking to have nice heavy bitter with a smooth malty background .grapefruit and citrus flavors. Not concerned with color.

4. ssam

ssam Aspirant (284) Dec 2, 2008 California

You can use all those fermentables. Then bitter with Chinook and dry hop with Cascade.

5. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,666) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

I say you use the MOAR HOPS method of hopping. You'll need a shovel, btw. :rolling_eyes:

I would bitter with whatever is your highest AA hop to XX IBUs (you pick your exact bitterness level).

Then I would use most of your cascade and centennial late and save a little cascade/centennial for dry hopping, but use it all, about 6 oz total late hops and 2 oz dry.

JrGtr likes this.
  6. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Disciple (336) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

You're looking at an OG of around 1.048 - a bit low for the style, but nothing really wrong with it, IMO. With that, plus the amount of Crystal you're using, I would suggest throwing in, maybe, 1/2 lb of table sugar to boost the OG a bit and dry it out at the same time (it was always a struggle for me to get the FG down when I was brewing with extract).

With 8+ oz of hops, and an exquisitely simple recipe like you have here (I love that in a Pale) this has the potential to be heavenly! I'd be inclined to use a hop-bursting technique, where all the bittering comes from late additions. I didn't do the math, but with 8 oz, you should be able to pull it off easily. Calculate the bitterness from different hop schedules starting at 15 min and see what you come up with. Go to 20 mins, if you need to (I doubt it).

wspscott likes this.
  7. wspscott

wspscott Savant (911) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

Can you do a full boil? Partial boils affect hop utilization. Otherwise, what @mikehartigan said

8. AlCaponeJunior

Society

Do a full boil regardless of hop utilization, because it makes better beer. Split the boil into two pots, and split hops proportionately between them. Remember cooling more liquid is harder than cooling less, so if you don't have a wort chiller, you need one (as you'll soon see if you don't).

9. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

I'm with @mikehartigan get it all in there late and let it shine.

10. alanforbeer

alanforbeer Initiate (54) Jan 29, 2011 South Carolina

In terms of recipe design?...or in terms of the brewing process?

11. Acrid

I understand the brew process mostly. Recipe design have no idea.
    About adding sugar, would corn sugar be better for boosting gravity.?

12. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,032) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

No. For the same weight, it would be slightly less efficient than table sugar. And table sugar is cheaper.

13. alanforbeer

alanforbeer Initiate (54) Jan 29, 2011 South Carolina

Well... you might add additional fermentable stuff to get you to about 1.055. This is the low end of the OG range for American IPA's. Then, shoot for a OG:IBU ration of roughly 1:1. So, as others have suggested, design your hop schedule by working backwards, and aim for about 55-60 IBU's. I don't know the AA's of your hops, but an example of your hopping schedule might look something like:

15 min: add amount of Summit necessary to hit your target IBU's
    10 min: 1 oz. Chinook/ 1 oz. Cascade
    5 min: 1 oz. Chinook/ 1 oz. Cascade
    F.O.(Hop Stand) 2 oz. Centennial/ 1 oz. Cascade
    Dry Hop: 2 oz. Centennial/ 1 oz. Cascade

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  14. ssam

Probably just a typo but you should probably put your bittering hops at 60mins or more. You can do a longer boil for more utilization. So 90min for your first addition if you do that.

15. mikehartigan

The discussion is a hop-bursting technique. If 15 mins can deliver the desired IBUs, then that's enough. The benefit is tons of hop flavor. Since he's using 8 oz of hops, it should be doable.

16. ssam

Yea I missed that. Thanks.

17. firstthenlast

firstthenlast Initiate (85) Nov 25, 2013 Massachusetts

i# caramel is a lot but okay if you dont mind some sweetness. 1# is definately the upper limit but many here would do .5 instead. I would also add some toasted malt, i.e. vienna, munich, victory, or biscuit, maybe a pound.

18. firstthenlast

firstthenlast Initiate (85) Nov 25, 2013 Massachusetts

also i wouldnt use casacde for bittering because 4 oz of pellets is needless, use a higher AA hop instead for bittering.

19. mikehartigan

That would require a mash. I didn't sense that that was being considered here.

JrGtr and kjyost like this.
  20. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Disciple (340) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

I know you don't care about color, but you might hold off on some of that lme til the end. There's some debate that say it's only color that's effected but I always split the lme to be sure.

FATC1TY likes this.
  21. Acrid

Everyone has been awesome thanks. Just brewed last night. Added 1 oz. Summit and an extra lbs. Of golden light DME.So I followed the hop schedule
    1.5 oz summit 60 min
    1.5 oz summit 15 min.
    1oz Chinook/ 1 oz cascadae / 1/4 tsp Irish moss 10 min
    1 oz Chinook/ 1 oz cascade 5 min.
    2 oz centennial/ 1 oz cascade

Did a full 5 gallon boil fort 60min. Learned the hard way wort chiller is a must have item .pitched yeast at 79 F.
    Now just waiting for the bubbles on the blow off. Should this have already begun?

utahbeerdude likes this.
  22. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

That's too warm.

With dry yeast you should start seeing activity by 24 hours, but don't panic if it takes a little longer.

23. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Relax and don't worry about the bubbles in the blow off - that's not aways the definitive indicator of fermentation.
    Are you in a carboy or a bucket? If you don't see any activity in another 24 hours or so, then take a flashlight and shine it though the top. You should see levels of foam and such higher than the level of liquid that went in. (you did record the volume going into the fermenter, right?)
    I know the urge to repeatedly pop the top to "see how things are going" is very strong, but resist doing so at least for a couple weeks (unless you plan to dry hop, in which case do it as quickly as possible.) At that point, check your gravity, and then do it again 2 or 3 days later. IF the gravity is the same you are ready to bottle.

24. Acrid

Fermenting in bucket. Got an og of 1.059 . Just started blow off.
    What is a better pitch temp.. thanks to everyone I thought I was gonna screw it up. Now I can let the yeast do its thing

25. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Ouch.. Pitched at 79* is not ideal.

You should have bubbles and fusels soon, no worries, sort of.

Next time, I would get the wort chilled down more. Under or close to the low end of your yeast's best working environment. Allow it to start cool, and warm to the best mid range temp, give it 3 days or so and allow to warm to up to finish and clean up by products

26. AlCaponeJunior

Society

It doesn't hurt to always add extracts in several portions, whatever the reason, so I second this. I do think that adding liquid extracts in portions is especially helpful in avoiding scorching if you're trying to work on a stove top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.