Show off your Bottle cap art

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by MackayClanBrewin, Feb 26, 2012.

1. MackayClanBrewin

MackayClanBrewin Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 Texas

Like many others I have thought about bottle cap art. I would love to get some ideas, so go ahead and show off your stuff. I want to see as many pictures as I can.

2. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Poo-Bah (5,513) Aug 18, 2008 Illinois
    Industry Trader

It's not really too much of an idea, but I guess you could call my avatar bottle-cap art :slight_smile:

creepinjeeper likes this.
  3. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,552) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

I haven't done it yet, but I plan on making a cork board covered with bottle caps. I need to just glue the bottle caps to thumbtacks or push pins and get that bad boy started.

Premo88 likes this.
  4. output01x

output01x Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2011 Ohio

Bill Cosby!?!

alex_hart, JammyV, ChugLife and 3 others like this.
  5. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Not mine, my friend's. He's making a table top covered in bottle caps. After hot gluing them all down he'll coat it in a clear epoxy to fill in all the gaps.

[​IMG]

6. BeerThursdays

BeerThursdays Crusader (709) Feb 28, 2010 Delaware
    Society

Not really art, but I put magnets on caps and stickers and put them up on the metal space in my drop ceiling.

[​IMG]

7. biniek13

biniek13 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2008 Minnesota

Now that's funny!! :slight_smile:

8. JohnWaynes44

JohnWaynes44 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2007 Wisconsin

See avatar..I started another for a friend but ran out of red bottle caps. The budweiser caps (that he drinks) have gold ring around them and didn't look quite right. I will probably have enough red caps to finish his flag in about 2020.

9. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Initiate (85) May 27, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Do you paint the caps or are they actually that color?

10. Jenray

Jenray Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2007 Texas

No so much bottle cap art as a bottle cap arts and crafts project, but here is a bottle cap hat band I made last summer.

[​IMG]

DirtyPenny, bifrost17 and mintjellie like this.
  11. mindfuldave

mindfuldave Devotee (443) Mar 22, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

Not bottle caps, but this is some beer art.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

13. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,654) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]I can guarantee that a bar top will last at least 30 years (only one cigarette burn, too); what I can't guarantee is that you will be that excited about your selection of caps that many years down the road. I guess it's like a tattoo- make a decision that's meant to last :wink:.

Sorry about the lighting- the man-cave tends to be a bit dank...

14. Jcb890

Jcb890 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2008 Massachusetts

I would love to do this as well.

15. AleLovinRuskie

AleLovinRuskie Initiate (103) Feb 10, 2009 Massachusetts

Grab a few cases of SN Celebration next winter, and you should have plenty of red caps to get it done!

16. dholway

dholway Devotee (429) Jul 1, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

17. grizzlyninja

grizzlyninja Initiate (65) Jan 27, 2011 West Virginia

id love to share my "art" so can someone help a computer idiot how to post a pic.
    thanks

18. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2011 Illinois

go here http://imgur.com/ upload pic, then copy and paste the link provided off to the side back here on the forum. so easy even a caveman can do it.

19. grizzlyninja

20. grizzlyninja

21. mintjellie

mintjellie Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2005 Ontario (Canada)

did you just buy a hat with a hatband and glue the caps on?

freshwaterbayart likes this.
  22. Jenray

Jenray Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2007 Texas

I bought the hat, took off the hat band that came with it, and then made my own. I measured to see the length I'd need for the hat, bought the ribbon, determined the number of caps I'd need to cover the ribbon, and then went through my cap collection to pick out my favorites. I thought of several ideas for attaching the caps, including hot glueing, but was afraid I'd always have to worry about them coming off. So instead I made a small hole on each side of the crown (I just used a small nail, hammer, and a little block of wood to make the holes) and sewed each one on with heavy duty thread. I was going to then hot glue the band onto the hat, but realized it stayed on fine without the glue, and this way I can take it off and use it on other hats if I want to. It was a fun and easy afternoon project.

And I HATE seeing typos in my posts. Of course in my original post I meant to say "NOT so much ......." Ugh

23. mintjellie

mintjellie Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2005 Ontario (Canada)

It's a pretty cool hat. Very funky, and I doubt you'll ever come across someone else with a bottle cap hatband.

24. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,411) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

My friend, BA OKcomputer, bought a lamp with a glass base and filled it with beer caps. He'd pour some in, then line his favorites/best looking along the outside. Took a couple years, but we got it filled.

25. MSgal

MSgal Initiate (0) May 10, 2012

[​IMG]
    This is one thing that I've done.

26. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2011 Washington

I plan to do a US map with crowns but haven't gotten to it.

27. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

nothing fancy for me, i just use them as refrigerator magnets...probably have about 150 so far, just started doing this a couple months ago...

28. brews_lee

brews_lee Initiate (0) May 16, 2012

29. Meanmopar

Meanmopar Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012

This is amazing! How do you start making a picture like that? The caps look random up close, but from a distance work perfectly. I've been saving for a while, but was planning on just an abstract design. Way to go!

Haywire likes this.
  30. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Disciple (395) May 6, 2010 Minnesota

its missing the chops.

31. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (188) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Not sure what he did, but what seems like would work is save a small picture, open it in MS paint, and zoom to 8x where you can manipulate each individual pixel. You then just map the relative colors (each pixel/group of pixels would represent a cap).

32. Hanzo

Hanzo Savant (954) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Bravo sir....Bravo.

33. vivasbeer

vivasbeer Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2012 Michigan

Brews_lee those are SICK!!!! Very nice work

This is at my local Disc golf course....I always thought it was pretty cool part of the trail

34. brews_lee

brews_lee Initiate (0) May 16, 2012

Meanmopar, Thanks! cmmcdonn is correct. First figure out your dimensions. Then use an image editor to pixellate or grid the digital picture to the approximate size of a bottle cap. Then I just go cell by cell. Kind of tedious. I might tackle something smaller next time.

35. El_Zilcho

El_Zilcho Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Virginia

2 bottlecaps pressed together, 2 neodymium magnets and some filler and super glue inside, and you've got yourself the best refrigerator magnet ever.

36. coz

coz Devotee (471) Jul 16, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

37. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 New York

^ Very phallic looking ^

Dakotah likes this.
  38. DrunkenMonk

DrunkenMonk Aspirant (283) Jun 2, 2012 California

Why do I suddenly crave pudding?

39. midworken

midworken Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2009 Nebraska

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This isn't necessarily art, but it's my project for my collected bottlecaps. Each tile has a magnet with the brewery and beer name on the back. It also includes a QR code that, when scanned with a phone, brings up the beer's BA page.

Eventually, I plan on getting several large shadow boxes (like 24"x36") and organize a style in each one.

It's something that I can change as years go by and update as I get more "prized" bottle caps (I've got about 40 more crowns to put on there).

Haywire, ajzy and Duff27 like this.