Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Side Project Releases

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by AndyEdgar, Feb 24, 2015.

1. gibgink

gibgink Crusader (764) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Sad but true.

mlee2587 likes this.
  2. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (154) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I may be combining Anabasis and BAA. Whales are whales.

Harrison8 likes this.
  3. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (106) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Have previous releases for other highly sought after side project beers been leaked? Also who is doing the leaking or is it just an inner circle kind of ordeal?

4. rizzle2110

rizzle2110 Initiate (45) Nov 13, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Honestly, I don't think much is getting leaked. I've seen people just line up because of rumors before. I've also seen an influx of people show up at the cellar before because of rumors. Who knows anymore though.

5. gibgink

Beer Trader

6. JPick

JPick Initiate (105) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

7. gibgink

Beer Trader

I was thinking the same thing myself, but then again, the blend is of 3 years worth of beer. That is a good amount of beer for 375s. Assuming no loss of beer and my math is correct, a total of 3000L of blended beer = 8,000 bottles. I'm betting the line will be quite long though.

JPick likes this.
  8. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Meyvn (1,140) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Each year was aged in 2 500L barrels. That means you could have up to 8,000 bottles. Now they aren't selling 100% of it to go as they'll keep some for onsite, kegs(?), cellaring and special events in the future but even 3-4,000 bottles mean the allocation would be at least 2 if not 3/4.

EDIT: Beat me by like 3 seconds @gibgink

JPick and gibgink like this.
  9. gibgink

Beer Trader

I'm just glad someone came up with the same number as me.

leroybrown10 likes this.
  10. JPick

JPick Initiate (105) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Wow, yeah, 8,000 bottles is an enormous bottle run. Especially for a brewery the size of Side Project.

Thanks for the math gents!

11. skeetermcgavin

skeetermcgavin Initiate (115) Sep 19, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Thinking this will be my first SP trip. How early do you think people will line up? 4 hour drive for us

12. leroybrown10

Beer Trader

People who plan on bottle sharing will lineup 3-4 hours in advance. As long as you are in line by 11:45, you'll get an allocation. They do a line count just before noon and base the allocation off that count.

13. skeetermcgavin

Beer Trader

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Never pass up a good bottle share, we will definitely be there early then.

14. leroybrown10

Beer Trader

They didn't mention it in the blog post a about this release, but here is what they have said in the past. Just make sure you are in the parking lot and not on the sidewalk. Shouldn't be an issue if you get there early, but wouldn't want you getting a citation from Maplewood PD.

PARKING: Please remember that our brewery parking lot will be closed to cars on release days like this Saturday, April 15th. Please use Maplewood public parking - any public street parking or the large parking lot next to The Side Project Cellar at 7373 Marietta Ave. Please do not park in the CVS lot or any other private lots. Thank you.

BOTTLE SHARING: Open containers are allowed in our Side Project Brewing parking lot until 12pm. You CANNOT Bottle Share (have open containers) on the public sidewalks - only in our parking lot. Bottle Sharing ends at 12pm, when our Side Project Tasting Room Opens. Thank you all for making our releases smooth so far! You guys are wonderful! (Also, we have two restrooms inside our tasting room that are available when we open at 12pm, and I will rent an extra one for outside!)

15. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (244) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I will be missing this - but I hope they do a release the following weekend because...I could make that one, and it would be the first I could make!!!

16. TboneRN

TboneRN Zealot (570) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

And they could be keeping some for future blends in other beers such as tete, pulling nails etc
    I do think it will be a fair amount of bottles with this type of notice

17. skeetermcgavin

Beer Trader

Invaluable advice. Thank you.

On another note, just now seeing bottles of it pop up in trade and razzle groups. Was there some kind of silent early release?

Harrison8 likes this.
  18. rizzle2110

rizzle2110 Initiate (45) Nov 13, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yes, they released some bottles of Blended 2017 at the cellar today. No tweets or announcements or update to their on-site list.

19. BNarc

BNarc Devotee (426) Jan 23, 2014 South Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

What were the limits?

20. Cdolan04

Cdolan04 Initiate (161) Mar 10, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Damn, already being raffled...

21. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

2. They have 13 cases left.

BNarc likes this.
  22. skeetermcgavin

Beer Trader

Wow... and here I am with the day odd contemplating an 8 hour round trip vs going on Sunday

23. gibgink

Beer Trader

13 cases left as of 7:45 last night. No guarantee they will still be there today.

24. skeetermcgavin

Beer Trader

lol now i have different sources telling me conflicting info. Probably stay on the safe side and not go though :/

25. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

I'm sure Sunday will be fine, if the math above is correct there's probably thousands of bottles.

#1185 Heisenbrew, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  26. leroybrown10

Beer Trader

I'm sure they allocated a certain number of cases for the silent pre-release and once that runs out, the rest is for Sunday. Just say 50 cases, that's 600 bottles. If anything, that shows just how many bottles they have. I fully expect a 3 or 4 bottle allocation on Sunday.

27. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,700) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Dang. I'll be there two days after that release. Hopefully the cellar still has a few bottles I can take home. Either way, I'm just excited I'll get to visit!

OakvilleKGB and Beer_Economicus like this.
  28. fondyball20

fondyball20 Aspirant (281) Feb 14, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Just my opinion, but if they did a silent early release then they must have a high bottle count. I'm sure the Sunday crowd will be large but there will be plenty to go around.

29. skeetermcgavin

Beer Trader

Does SP still allow you to bring in Casey Jammy for the on site side-by-side? Was planning on doing that when we get into town Saturday.

30. gibgink

Beer Trader

At the brewery I was once told no bottles for sharing inside. I'd probably call ahead and ask.

31. skeetermcgavin

Beer Trader

Ok. I was referring to the cellar, as that's where they have Jammy bottles for on-site consumption. Will definitely give them a call.

32. Vitacca

Vitacca Disciple (345) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I will be there Saturday night if you or whoever are there and want to split bottles?

gibgink likes this.
  33. gibgink

Beer Trader

I like your style!

34. skeetermcgavin

Beer Trader

I dig your style as well amigo! Definitely down. I'll have to ask my buddy specifically about Casey Jammy - he's a generous dude, but did pay actual secondary (>$150) for that one :/

35. leroybrown10

Beer Trader

I know they have previously allowed people to do side by sides for Jammy and Leaner. I don't think random bottles would be kosher.

36. gibgink

Beer Trader

mmmmmm. $200 side by side...

skeetermcgavin likes this.
  37. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (492) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Leave your bottles in the car go in order and ask. If they are cool with it great (they usually are) if they are not. Well you still have great beer to drink.

skeetermcgavin likes this.
  38. skeetermcgavin

Beer Trader

Worst case I have a great bottle for the share Sunday hahah

39. carln26

carln26 Champion (883) Mar 5, 2004 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Both Side Project locations, Perennial, and some other places are OK with outside bottles, but this should be done with some caveats. Treat it like you are bringing beer or wine to a restaurant:

1. Check ahead if possible. SP Cellar, and Brewery don't actually have phones. Your call will go to voicemail. Leave a message (include your email if possible) and ask. It sounds like you were doing that.
    2. Always ask the staff before you open it. Keep in mind, they may have had some issues with other patrons before or while you are there, and this could impact your situation.
    3. Always offer pours to the staff. It's just common courtesy.
    In general, these places are open to outside bottles, but patrons sometimes get out of hand, and it turns into a massive bottle share. It's always good to keep in mind that they are in the business of selling their product.

Have a great time.

40. LCC

LCC Initiate (159) Mar 2, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

What was bottle limit at release today?

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.