Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Side Project Releases

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by AndyEdgar, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (153) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Beer Trader

2. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (384) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Could you go through the line multiple times?

3. Budah

Budah Initiate (165) Feb 19, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Yep

4. gibgink

gibgink Crusader (764) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

They also had a tap only release of Cute. That beer is fire.

Harrison8 likes this.
  5. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,695) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I'll be out that way around 3 PM tomorrow if anyone wants to share a bottle or two from Side Project.

6. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (217) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

If you check their twitter, it looks like they had a large number of bottles for sale. I suspect they have some left today unless their policy is to only sell on sundays/at events (I in fact have no idea).

Best of luck!

Harrison8 likes this.
  7. Harrison8

Beer Trader

Dang. They do have a lot To Go at the brewery. It looks like the Cellar only has a couple bottles, unless they're distributing some more to the cellar today or tomorrow. I believe the brewery is closed on week days.

8. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Meyvn (1,140) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Blended 2017 will most likely be available to go at the Cellar starting Tuesday. My understanding is that they had quite a bit left over on Sunday.

Beer_Economicus and Harrison8 like this.
  9. KevSal

KevSal Savant (955) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

will it be available to go? id definitely like to try this guy!

Harrison8 likes this.
  10. gibgink

Beer Trader

Beer_Economicus and Harrison8 like this.
  11. Harrison8

Beer Trader

I've been checking this close to daily, but I don't want to get my hopes up and have something sell out by the time I roll up. At the very least, it looks like I'll be able to try Blended 2017.

Thanks!

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  12. JPick

JPick Initiate (105) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Wonder what the point was of having a limit on the Blended release, if there's clearly plenty left?

13. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

So people don't go apeshit and buy cases. It's nice for places to limit beer when it is sought after. People could go through the line multiple times, so I think people still got their fill if they were so inclined.

14. gibgink

Beer Trader

Cory walks the line shortly before opening the doors to ensure that everyone gets at least something. Pretty solid thing to do imo.

brock125, Vitacca, Harrison8 and 2 others like this.
  15. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Defender (660) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Heading to StL this weekend. 2 questions:
    1. Are we past the point of there being a release if nothings announced yet?
    2. How big is the brewery? We're down there for a wedding and thinking of about 8 guys going at open Saturday.

16. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

1) they're doing a release for Shared brewing, so that will probably be it.
    2) you'll have room

Chuckdiesel24 likes this.
  17. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Starting Tuesday, May 2nd, our next iteration of Derivation will start for on-site enjoyment at The Side Project Cellar. As with Blend #1 and #3, Derivation Blend #7 uses only the beautiful influences of the barrel and the softening and melding that can only come with time to develop the deep, velvety experience that you expect from a Derivation.

With each blend, barrels are selected for their characters, to provide purpose in the final beer. Over the years, I have had the opportunity to try hundreds of barrels full of both whiskey and bourbon barrel-aged stouts, and I have learned that although these barrel-aged beers are robust, assertive and decedent, their nuances, complexities and developed flavors can be elevated when thoughtfully blended, just like our delicate Saisons and Missouri Wild Ales.

The Barrels Selected for Blend #7:

2 Rittenhouse Rye Barrels that were aged for 2 years with an Imperial Oatmeal Stout
    2 Four Roses 10 year Bourbon Barrels that were aged for 2 years with an Imperial Oatmeal Stout

On the tongue, Derivation Blend #7 has loads of rich, dark chocolate and mocha powder, with hints of sweet coffee and a whisper of char. The 15% ABV is non-existent during the sip as it is really well-integrated into the beer after 2 years of maturation. The oak lays down sweet expressions of coconut and almonds due to the younger barrels.

It seems like every stout that comes out now has more and more adjuncts, and don't get me wrong, I am as guilty as the next brewer! But about 12 months ago, these barrels showed the promise that was needed for me to set them aside for another non-adjunct Derivation. These pure blends, where there is nothing to hide behind, is why I fell in love with making these huge beers in the first place and I hope that you enjoy the time and effort that I put into the next beloved Derivation.

Bottles will be available all week at The Side Project Cellar and we are putting aside plenty for the Brewery Tasting Room on Saturday, May 6th and Sun, May 7th. Bottles of Derivation Blend #7 will be available for on-site enjoyment only, and there will be no to-go bottles. I am glad that this beer has become such a favorite and I am excited to share my next blend with you. We hope you enjoy sharing it with your friends and family at The Side Project Cellar or Brewery Tasting Room. Thanks again for all of the support and love for our beers!

Cheers,
    Cory and Karen Kin

TboneRN and TNeedles like this.
  18. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

On site only. Boo.

19. gibgink

Beer Trader

Great to hear! Hopefully it will last more than a week.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  20. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

I am curious to see how much it will be. I feel like someone told me one of the past derivations was like $50? :grimacing::flushed::angry:

21. gibgink

Beer Trader

One wallet sized portrait of Ulysses S. Grant has been the norm for Derivations. Bring a friend, split the bottle and experience.

22. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Ouch.

I mean, I'm not opposed to spending that, but when I travel to MO it is rare that I actually end up staying in STL (happened twice across roughly 25 trips?). -And if not staying there, rare that I'll be able to corral someone into, say, meeting me there.

23. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (384) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Do the derivations typically lasts weeks on site or days?

24. gibgink

Beer Trader

Cool thing about the Cellar, is that many a complete stranger will share a bottle with you. I've done it at least 2-3 times.

25. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

A couple of weeks.

Beer_Economicus and shadetree67 like this.
  26. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (622) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

As much as I'd like to have a bottle, I get why he does it. Definitely cuts down on the douchebaggery

27. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

If I did my math correctly, if these are 750ml bottles, should be around 470 bottles. Pretty small. But I have no idea how big their batches normally are.

Even if they cut it to 1pp without repeats, I can only imagine how many people would actually get in line. Since I'd assume they'd want to keep a good number of bottles for on-site consumption only, I really wonder if they'd run out before getting to the end of the line if they released (say) 270 bottles at 1pp, no repeats, with only people getting bottles if they were in line at the time of opening.

Those lines sound scary, though, and I'm not sure that I have the fortitude.

28. mlee2587

mlee2587 Initiate (137) Mar 27, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I don't think there'd be anyway everyone in line would be able to get one at 1 pp, even for lesser releases the line can get long.

dhallengren and Beer_Economicus like this.
  29. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Zealot (547) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Fingers crossed it makes it until the 16th when I will be there!

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  30. Harrison8

Beer Trader

Geez. I missed two coffee stouts and a Deprivation by a week.

If anyone is going to the releases, I'd like to talk :slight_smile:

31. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Freudian slip me thinks, for you are feeling deprived!

Dan_Inreallife and Harrison8 like this.
  32. JPick

Beer Trader

So there's no release this weekend right? First time this has ever happened since the new brewery opened? Any chance of a surprise to-go Derivation release? That'd be neat.

33. TboneRN

TboneRN Zealot (569) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Aren't they releasing two shared stouts with sump coffee?

Harrison8 likes this.
  34. JPick

Beer Trader

That's the following weekend, right?

35. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Yes, the 13th.

Harrison8 likes this.
  36. TboneRN

TboneRN Zealot (569) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Yes you are right

Harrison8 likes this.
  37. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

Jammy wasn't announced until 1 hour beforehand, so there's always a chance

I hope not though, give our wallets a break

38. rizzle2110

rizzle2110 Initiate (45) Nov 13, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

For those wondering, Derivation 7 will NOT be released to the public in any way, shape or form. Cory and Karen have stated so multiple times. I know it's not what everyone wants to hear but at least you can drink it on-site.

39. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Zealot (547) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

It is exactly what I (selfishly) want to hear if it means it will still be there in ten days for me to enjoy!

40. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Got this from Wine and Cheese Place today - something those whom are going for the release this weekend might be interested in:

This Friday May 12th

The Wine and Cheese Place
    14748 Clayton Road in BALLWIN

Tasting - open house format - join us and tell your friends
    Bottles will be opened at 5pm until they run out
    • Side Project Black and Berry (with a chance to purchase a bottle**)
    • Prairie Artisan Ales Bible Belt (with a chance to purchase a bottle**)
    • Joel Falmet Brut Rose Champagne (Great for Mother's Day)
    • plus some Whiskey TBA
    • **more details later in the week

(It does not say this Saturday tasting is at the Baldwin location, so it might be at their Forsynth location - I would call and check if interested.)
    This Saturday May 13
    Bottles will be opened at noon - while they last.
    • Side Project Noir du Fermier (for tasting only, none for sale)
    • Shared Brewing Proof of Concept (for tasting only, none for sale)
    • The Rare Barrel Gifted Branch (sour with peaches and apricots) (for tasting only, none for sale)
    • Plus some whiskey TBA
    • 2013 Ulysses Napa Red -- Rated 96 and 98 points! see info below
    • plus more wine TBA

mlee2587 and Harrison8 like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.