Side Project Releases

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by AndyEdgar, Feb 24, 2015.

1. eerickson7

eerickson7 Initiate (147) May 29, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

All I'm saying is, they had a great system a few months ago, releasing a few days early at the Cellar so you didn't have to stand in line for an hour or more. They seem to have abandoned that, and it rubs me the wrong way when guys are walking away with 18 bottles.

That's not taking care of locals when they announce it two weeks in advance and commit to selling out in 90 minutes.

Also, any comparison between one of the largest metros and a small-ish one is pointless. There are bigger lines in larger cities. And there are never lines if I drive out to Scratch or some BFE brewery. Next you'll tell me there's more traffic in Chicago, too.

2. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (170) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Beer Trader

They released early for Pitter Patter, which was the third to last release, and the only one that has sold out. It was still available for 2 weeks.

3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (391) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I think that's great. I think that's the type of thing that everyone wants to see. No one is complaining about that - it gets' glossed over because it appears to be the exception more than the rule.

I think the general hangup is discontinuity without clarity. That is, I'd be curious to know how many "regulars" that support SP live nearby, vs. how many drive 1hr+. If Cory's "as many hands as possible" refers mostly to locals, then you know what, I concede that having on-site offerings absolutely accomplishes this goal. However, if most people are not "truly" local, and most people have to drive in, then it only makes sense that his statements refer to everyone that wants to visit, not just locals. In this case, yea, to go beers matter to people.

The people that can go all the time are never the ones that complain. (No one that's reaping the benefits ever really chimed in on any criticism until very recently.) They're the same people that have the ability to enjoy lots of onsite offerings, many/all of the to-go offerings, and many world-class beers over (because, face it, it's not like people are buying these all to drink, they're trading them).

And that's the issue I/us/we take issue - is if you know people are not drinking everything, and you want to get it into "as many hands as possible," why make allotments so large? Does everything sell out instantly? No, but why encourage selling out instantly on some of the more well-known releases? Imagine if Fuzzy had been limited to 2-3pp/week - imagine how many people might come down the following week (during the week when it is slower, or on the weekend) to buy a bottle. Oh, does that coincide with another release? Perfect. All the better.

Does he have to do this? No. Are there any objectively BAD reasons to argue against this? Not sure. Seems like lines wouldn't get longer, they'd get shorter, as you could possibly go any day any get something.

Does the world owe us anything? No, but that seems like a silly reason not to criticize policies that seem like they could be better.

A huge part of the last 2ish pages wasn't about Cory being an ass, or SP policies suck, or I want my whalzebrah, but about the fact that it could better, and that the same people that benefit appear to like to argue that there need to not be any criticism - or that the criticism is unfounded, or that everyone is whiney, or that we're all just entitled. Discussion should always happen. It's beyond me why some threads (there are others) feel as though that criticism should be shut down, and that discussion should not be encouraged. Seems like we've teased everything out enough. I've certainly said my piece.

achosid likes this.
  4. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

The poster I was replying to said they abandoned that, and that isn’t necessarily true.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  5. achosid

achosid Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I could be having mixed memories, but I can't think of any release other than PN8 that was available to go that sold out the same day in quite some time. I could very well be missing something, but recent batches of Fuzzy and the recent Pitter Patter release both were available to go for the bulk of the week prior to the Saturday release at the Cellar.

I'm around there pretty frequently, at the Cellar at least, and anecdotally it's mostly folks who show up for a beer after work. Most days if I end up there for a while, there will be one or two folks who pop in from out of town, but I see a lot of the same St. Louis natives there.

I'm relatively certain Fuzzy was on sale for 4-5 days, mostly at the Cellar. I think you're right that the day it went for sale at the Brewery, it sold out that day, though.

There's certainly room for criticism everywhere, but I think it all boils down to what I think their mentality is: take care of locals and regulars. Make beer available early to folks who stop in for beer after work? Takes care of locals. Hold back a large amount of sought after beers for on-site consumption only? Take care of locals, let them not wait in big lines.

Have big weekend releases with large limits? Pretty standard in the modern beer world, unfortunately, and the kind of thing folks drive in town for. I don't really know how he can still take care of the folks who are there all the time while still making releases on Saturdays big enough that people don't drive for two hours to show up and get one bottle of beer after waiting in a big line.

odcardinal and Beer_Economicus like this.
  6. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

Fuzzy was Saturday & Sunday only.

achosid and Beer_Economicus like this.
  7. achosid

achosid Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I must have been thinking of the previous batch, then.

8. dleiner

dleiner Crusader (750) Jan 24, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Cory King > Chuck Norris?

9. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (638) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Dude makes good beer but that's ridiculous.

10. Leftofthedial

Leftofthedial Devotee (407) Nov 17, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Side Project’s Instagram story seems to hint the Raspe release is very soon. Possibly this weekend. Tried it on tap a few weeks ago and that raspberry flavor was delicious!

11. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

It’s most likely not this weekend, they usually do on site bottles for Father’s day.

12. narddawg314

narddawg314 Initiate (75) Feb 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I hope it's not this weekend....I got plans all day saturday!

13. OakvilleKGB

OakvilleKGB Initiate (152) Dec 3, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Are you sure you had Raspe and you didn't have Raspberry Bière du Pays? I don't think Raspe has been available other than the membership bottles while Raspberry Bière du Pays has been on draft and then to-go...

14. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

Raspe was on tap at SARA

Dka67 and OakvilleKGB like this.
  15. Leftofthedial

Beer Trader

I had it on tap at SARA for their Side Project event. They also had SdF and BBT on tap too. That’s a good point about Father’s Day @Heisenbrew

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  16. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Heard lots of peoples opinions from the midwest and STL/CHI locals about their opinion on BBT. What's your take, being (generally) exposed to different beers out there?

17. Grandy33

Grandy33 Initiate (124) Aug 15, 2017 Missouri
    Beer Trader

18. _RL_

_RL_ Disciple (330) Oct 2, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Sante Adairius Rustic Ales. It's a brewery in California that makes some amazing stuff.

Beer_Economicus, bread_c and Grandy33 like this.
  19. gibgink

gibgink Champion (859) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Raspe was a Society bottle as well. No, I'm not a member.

20. Leftofthedial

Beer Trader

I really enjoyed BBT. Rich and bold, dessert-like, big full barrel flavor, and super smooth for the ABV. One of the top 3 adjunct-free BA stouts I’ve had.

21. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

Raspe is Saturday

DustyF and narddawg314 like this.
  22. Keithengelke

Keithengelke Aspirant (228) Jun 23, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Where did you hear this? For public release?

23. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Meyvn (1,189) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

24. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Crusader (774) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Member Beer Trader

they seem to be marketing Raspe as a “new” beer however when i check, it was already listed on BA (added in november of 2014). any LT SP folks have any insight into this? curious if this is blend 1 or 2, a completely different beer, or perhaps it was draft only the first go around....

25. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (31) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Draft only the first go around, and not sure if it showed up anywhere but FoBAB that year. Pretty sure it's just a completely different beer - the old one was a Flanders red base and this a blond wild ale base

Also the new one is delicious, and I wish I could justify a trip down to STL this weekend for it.

Edit: Also the bottle is labelled as Blend 1

#2185 bread_c, Jun 18, 2018 at 3:59 PM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018 at 4:06 PM
  26. Luscious_Malfoy

thanks for the info!

27. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

I take this to mean that this will be a new annual offering.

28. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (31) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The first batch of everything is labelled Blend 1, so I don't think it really indicates that. I hope they'll make it again, but it could end up being on the two year schedule like Fuzzy.

Hopefully it's not on the Blanc de Blancs schedule...

29. Luscious_Malfoy

apparently this is coming sometime this year. at least, Cory had tweeted about it a while back.

bread_c likes this.
  30. Heisenbrew

Beer Trader

If I remember correctly, someone at SP said they want all the 375s to be on an alternating every other year schedule.

So Fencerow b4 & La Fosse b3 next year for example.

31. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Champion (813) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

None of these age quite like 16 Candles though

Heisenbrew likes this.