Side Project / Shared (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (888) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

So, what was it?

2. cdinardo21

cdinardo21 Initiate (133) Oct 29, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Can you elaborate? I have an account on their site - but it still makes me type in the credit card every time. Appreciate any info

3. nchan50

nchan50 Initiate (104) Aug 15, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Double Barrel Generational, Oude du Blé Vintage 2020 , Biére du Pays Blend #11 and Single Farm Motueka

4. ewwiccc

ewwiccc Initiate (180) Jan 12, 2016 California
    Trader

5. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Bleh. I thought we were done with random, surprise drops.

Oh well.

OakvilleKGB, xdtfx, nchan50 and 4 others like this.
  6. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,164) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

probably because there wasnt a whole lot left maybe?

7. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Crusader (709) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

Here’s the shop link: https://shop.app/

If you create an account, next time you check out from SP it should load all your info (name, billing address, cc, etc.) so all you have to do is click the purple button at bottom. May be worth doing a trial run - put something in your cart, checkout but don’t actually purchase

With other sites using the same shop system, you’ll get a code via text that you need to enter - will do the same thing ie load all your info

am sure someone can explain that more succinctly - gl next time!

Beer_Economicus and MattOC like this.
  8. cdinardo21

Trader

Thanks for this - I really appreciate it.

9. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (353) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Had no clue. So missed out. I need one of those fancy programs that alert you

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  10. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (231) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

*Remembers the good old days of when packages were going to stop when they reopened*

OakvilleKGB, xdtfx, Harrison8 and 5 others like this.
  11. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (151) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I usually don't go for the packages but made an exception for this one. I loved generational and the three additional bottles are appealing to me.

12. jmlhd7

jmlhd7 Initiate (110) Dec 22, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

I remember when that was supposed to happen, but have given up that hope. At this point I’m just not going to buy any sours in single bottles cause they will inevitably end up in package.

13. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,164) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

yea i was thinking abotu this, the packaged might be hurting a lot of potential sales.

that being said theres less than a case of ddh mariatta ave so im grabbing one now :rofl:

14. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (140) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Thanks, had been wanting to grab more of that one before it went away

15. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (125) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Trader

Random surprise drops are wack as fuck for bottles like this. Can’t lie that I’m super salty about this one. Oh well, on to the next one.

16. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,032) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Quince, new 375mL in the style of Fermier, being teased on Beeslo’s stories.

17. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (231) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

There were about 100 packages.

If they had announced it everybody would still be complaining.

18. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (140) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

There were more than 100 left when I'd finished checking out (I think it was like 180?) but either way definitely not enough packages that they could have done an announced time for release

19. nchan50

nchan50 Initiate (104) Aug 15, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

ISO: jedi skills to know quantity of packages, timing
    FT: pliny x2

20. MattOC

MattOC Defender (661) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think there will always be a few sides and opinions to this. Maybe/likely @KevSal is correct and there wasn’t enough to make an official release versus the surprise one.

If it’s an official/timed release and it’s gone in seconds, then it’s a gripe-fest. Or, what about those that work, can’t access their phone, etc., etc.

For me, if it’s a surprise and I miss it, oh well. A lot easier to get over because I didn’t have to scramble for it. If it’s a surprise and I get through, then that’s elation. A bit of luck too.

If it’s an official/timed release and I miss out, I’m less bothered too since everyone was gearing up for it and my chances were a lot less anyways. If It hit, great, but also a bit of luck.

Bottom line: you win some and you lose some. That’s how I’ve come to deal with FOMO in my advancing years.

EDIT: had this reply for when Darwin originally posted, but didn't post and before Heisenbrew/bread_c info on package total info.

21. BreakingMyBalls

Trader

I mean, they could have easily had more packages available if they weren’t selling bottles on-site for almost 3 weeks. Saw Untappd check-ins from plenty of folks doming 2, 3, 4 bottles in that timeframe. Seems odd to me they would keep these flowing for on-site sales for so long if they were anticipating releasing it to the public at some point. Also seems counterintuitive to their sales strategy of moving a shit ton of white label bottles in these packages.

I’m not hating the process. At the end of the day it’s fair, I guess. I’m just personally salty about it. At least I saved $130+tax today, so that’s a silver lining. And there will always be more releases.

#1581 BreakingMyBalls, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  22. pconn10

pconn10 Initiate (89) May 19, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Damn I missed out. Oh well, gives me more money to spend on Single Farm Mouteka

23. Affinity

Affinity Aspirant (253) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

Speaking as a California native, just move here. It’s a lot easier. Great beer scene, affordable housing, no traffic, and great sports teams.

Or you can move to Kentucky, buy rare allocated bourbon and trade it to StL folks who usually race to the bottom to offload their newly purchased packages for anything with the name Weller in it.

Choice is yours.

24. cdinardo21

Trader

I kinda disagree with this though - they're a St. Louis brewery, and the people of St. Louis should get some benefit of being there - I'm a little salty too, because I really wanted this bottle, but if that brewery was in Pittsburgh, and I didn't even get a taste, but then some guys from California and Arizona were celebrating getting bottles, I'd be a little peeved.

I agree with your point about getting 4 bottles on site - maybe limit it to 1 a day per person, but even then - I could go there with 3 buddies 3 days in a row and we could clean up on bottles. At a certain point, it's just impossible - you try to be as fair as possible, but I have no issue with hometown customers getting some benefit here.

25. cdinardo21

Trader

This was both funny and true.

26. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Initiate (141) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I know I'm generalizing, but at least the people outside of St. Louis seem to be keeping their bottles. All I ever see are trades asking for Bourbon from the STL locals. Almost immediately. And I get it....you can drink it onsite and do what you want with your bottle. So, as long as that is the case, that behavior will continue. As a FL resident, I'm always thrilled to get the chance to snag these packages, and I drink all of them.

27. BreakingMyBalls

Trader

I have no problem with the STL locals getting love. In fact, I encourage it. It’s what I would want if I was local. At the end of the day I’m happy to even have the opportunity to score SP bottles with a proxy. We only have one brewery out here in CA consistently dropping stouts of the same caliber, Monkish, but they only drop 2-3 stouts per year.

28. jmlhd7

Trader

SP drops probably 9 sours for every stout. They drop the vibes more often but we really only saw like 5 BA stouts last year and then the continuances. I get your point, but it’s not like SP is every cranking out a stout every month on average.

29. cdinardo21

Trader

Yeah - that's Angry Chair's football.

OakvilleKGB and Thirst_trappist like this.
  30. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,586) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

I can't speak specifically for DB Gen, but most bottles of that level are 1/person/day.

31. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Has there really been any enforcing of this? I can’t recall a time in recent history where this was even written anywhere, let alone enforced.

The closest thing I can come up with is the limit of Oz/day for MJK.

32. pconn10

Trader

They limited the amount of pH1 that I could drink on site. Which was probably for the best, because I would have sat there all day drinking that.

33. jmlhd7

Trader

I mean it’s written on the board all the time with limited on site bottles. And if you keep a tab open, they can see what you’ve bought. But at the same time, if someone wants to spend $200/day on site and the bartender lets them, that’s their prerogative.

34. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,586) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

I have seen it enforced. Not saying you can't find a way around it by paying for every bottle as you go and don't leave your tab open.

35. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Thanks all for the correction. I guess, like someone mentioned above regarding the DB gen bottles, it just seems like for most releases in recent memory (excluding, perhaps those bottles that literally only last a few hours or 1 day at the most) have resulted in untappd comments mentioning staying there all day and drinking more than 1 bottle.

I fully accept my memory may be a little fuzzy.

36. jmlhd7

Trader

You definitely have seen those pictures, but I think it’s more like a group of guys each grabbing the same 750ml bottle and just splitting it each time it is bought and lining them up for the obligatory Untappd picture.

37. Beer_Economicus

Trader

For sure the pictures can be deceiving, but I actually meant the comments. There was a guy from the DB Derivation releases recently that I recall talking about having gone through 3 or 4 of the Stagg or Vanilla versions. That’s just the most recent example beyond DB Generational.

38. jmlhd7

Trader

Well, I stand corrected. I will say when I went to the cellar to try DB generational I believe it said 1pp, and I’ve seen it with many others, but I can’t speak to the derivations as I didn’t fight that crowd to try them. Maybe they don’t enforce that anymore in this post pandemic packaged riddled landscape we now call craft beer.

39. MattOC

MattOC Defender (661) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

This one for me today was mostly luck. I had sat out the last few/several releases as beer spending had ballooned unnecessarily the last few months. Although Gin BdP is a regret to have passed up.

I work from home so as is my normal practice I log in and put a gratuity into my cart around expected release time. When 11 EST came and went with no updates to the beer page and or a IG notification I was perfectly content with a quiet Tuesday.

I was taking a required online cybersecurity course for work when the notification came down on my phone for that small gold wax bottle. I was stunned, but recognized it. It had to be, 11:10 or so and out the window went that quiet Tuesday. Nor did I expect to spend that money today. Thankfully I was logged in, have a Shop account, and so it was like two clicks from there and confirmation came through. The “ease” of that last sentence, didn’t make it any less frantic. More disbelief.

Not a brag or gloat, just one person’s experience. Right place, right time. Elated to have hit, but if I missed, on to the next. Cheers!

#1599 MattOC, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  40. pconn10

Trader

I imagine it's hard to enforce a bottle limit when the place is packed like sardines on release days and there is a line out of the door of people waiting to get a bottle. I feel for the bartenders on those days